• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS 11 |OT| iPad becomes useful

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Apple removed Facebook and Twitter integration from iOS 11. Not a problem at first, but now I have a Facebook Events calendar on the stock calendar app that is impossible to delete and doesn't sync anymore. Pretty shitty. Even if I sub to my FB events calendar separately, I'll still have that older one stuck (I know I can just make it invisible, but I'd like to remove it).

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/80793

Reminds me of when they pseudo-removed GameCenter from the OS, but still left a certain level of features while making it impossible to configure properly.

Quick

Banned
Sorry to be obtuse but when you say “fresh install and restore from back-up”, do you mean straight up wiping the device to a blank version of iOS 11 and then restoring from a backup when prompted? It’s obviously been a while since I’ve had to deal with something like this!

Yep. Erase everything and start from the beginning. Restore from backup when prompted.

Apple removed Facebook and Twitter integration from iOS 11. Not a problem at first, but now I have a Facebook Events calendar on the stock calendar app that is impossible to delete and doesn't sync anymore. Pretty shitty. Even if I sub to my FB events calendar separately, I'll still have that older one stuck (I know I can just make it invisible, but I'd like to remove it).

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/80793

Reminds me of when they pseudo-removed GameCenter from the OS, but still left a certain level of features while making it impossible to configure properly.

I never used the Facebook integration, but I do have that Twitter integration on my phone now (still on 10.3.3).

What exactly are the potential consequences of upgrading to iOS 11 for that? Anything in that case? Does it mean I have to actually login now?

Fuu

I never used the Facebook integration, but I do have that Twitter integration on my phone now (still on 10.3.3).

What exactly are the potential consequences of upgrading to iOS 11 for that? Anything in that case? Does it mean I have to actually login now?
Not sure, I guess if you're using the OS-level Twitter login inside an app that login will be stuck there without any way for you to delete it. I think that's unlikely to happen though, every Twitter integration I've seen between apps seem to always throw you into that faux-Safari login screen instead of actually using any OS-level features.

I think the solution to my problem will be when Facebook updates their app to ask for Calendar permission. I don't even have it installed, but hopefully that will fix this particular clutter.

lsG0ywm.jpg

fOsnzpd.jpg

I'm having this weird issue. Took this earlier and it shows 7h17 usage, even though I had it on sleep most of the day. Same thing happened yesterday, thought it would fix it once I fully recharged it.

Not sure if it's a bug or if it's an unknown app that keeps running but doesn't show up on the activity page. Swiped and closed all my apps...fully wiped my phone over the weekend to install this release.

Thanks for the erm...quick reply! Appreciate it.

To make sure, do it through iTunes if at all possible, not just from the Settings app. The Settings app restore just erases your personal stuff but keeps the system installation as-is, so if there’s any OS problems they can hang around. Doing through iTunes reinstalls iOS from scratch

I'm having this weird issue. Took this earlier and it shows 7h17 usage, even though I had it on sleep most of the day. Same thing happened yesterday, thought it would fix it once I fully recharged it.

Not sure if it's a bug or if it's an unknown app that keeps running but doesn't show up on the activity page. Swiped and closed all my apps...fully wiped my phone over the weekend to install this release.

Yeah, it means some process isn’t letting your phone actually go to sleep

They removed the feature.

Being brought back in 11.1

Gone for now, will return in a future update

phew hope we don't have to wait too long for that to be back and hopefully it also addresses the battery drain issue? I tried following the steps to address battery drain issue by checking if bluetooth is completed disabled and what not, but man it's dropping like crazy, like every minute the phone drops a percentage if i am switching between apps!

Ideally I wouldn’t even restore from backup...but I realize that’s not gonna work for everyone

This is also true. Backups can bring some problems over as well, though not always. However I do know firsthand that setting up your phone as new is probably an all-day task and not doable for most people

Vyer

This is also true. Backups can bring some problems over as well, though not always. However I do know firsthand that setting up your phone as new is probably an all-day task and not doable for most people

yeah, definitely. I get some sort of weird enjoyment out of it, though. I always have, ever since building my first desktop. Something about that fresh start....

Has everyone else noticed that when waking the device, it does this ugly fade in instead of whatever it used to do? Is there a way to change that? Super ugly imo

Yeah, i've noticed that on both my iPhone and iPad, but I don't think there's a way to disable it or at least i haven't found it so far.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Whoa, I just found about the one handed typing mode.
Hold the globe on the keyboard to choose between left or right orientation.

jts

...hate me...
Holy shit everybody check out the ikea AR app. This is amazing :eek:

Which one is that?
Seconded. I don’t think Ikea has released their ARKit app yet. The “3D room planner” app is from a 3rd party.

Never mind I was wrong. The app just has limited region availability. Ugh. Here I go signing in to my US Apple ID again. App is called Place or Ikea Place btw.

IKEA Place by Inter IKEA Systems B.V.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ikea-place/id1279244498?mt=8

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Has everyone else noticed that when waking the device, it does this ugly fade in instead of whatever it used to do? Is there a way to change that? Super ugly imo

Yeah, i've noticed that on both my iPhone and iPad, but I don't think there's a way to disable it or at least i haven't found it so far.
Change your wallpaper.

What I mean is that the new fade in is adaptive to the lightness of your wallpaper, it begins where it's the most bright and then expands from there.

Akira

Okay, I like the new Controls Center except for one thing:

The volume and screen brightness controls are vertical and so big that I often switch my brightness/volume down or up accidentally because the invoking control panels is also a vertical motion. It would be better if it was horizontal.

cjp

Change your wallpaper.

What I mean is that the new fade in is adaptive to the lightness of your wallpaper, it begins where it's the most bright and then expands from there.

My wallpaper is black at the bottom and always expands upwards so er

I like it though.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I left my 6s to run down completely yesterday. It had a weird battery indicator after updating to ios11 - dropped heavily in the middle of the day and then sat at 1% for about an hour before finally giving up the ghost.

jts

...hate me...
I left my 6s to run down completely yesterday. It had a weird battery indicator after updating to ios11 - dropped heavily in the middle of the day and then sat at 1% for about an hour before finally giving up the ghost.

This also has been happening to me on 6s+. Usually it indicates a calibration issue. But even after letting it die and fully charge it overnight it hasn't completely gone away.

Blackhead

Redarse
New(?) nifty feature(?) in Safari:

if a webpage spawns another tab (e.g. by tapping on a link in GAF) you can now use the back button — or swipe back — and it'll take you to the previous tab and close the just opened tab. Nice to have another of those little conveniences I missed from Android :). This feature is still a bit limited in Safari; it doesn't work if you follow another link level in the new tab nor does it work if you opened the new tab by long pressing the link. I hope they expand this feature, perhaps when they bring back 3D Touch edge swipe...

Anyway, some bugs:
Anyone else sometimes missing music controls on lockscreen:
And what's up with mail app notifications on the SE? The expanded notification can extend past the bottom of the screen WTF?! I now often have to swipe up to tap the Mark as Read button. Even worse when it's only partially cut off and I think I've tapped the Mark as Read button but I tapped Trash instead
Did anyone test iOS11 on an SE like how does this slip through?

taylor910

My mark as read for email notifications doesn’t work at all. Click it, notification goes away, email stays unread. Every time. Anyone else having this issue?

Exentryk

I feel Apple should combine iOS and macOS into one OS like Windows 10 works for both desktop and handheld. I am considering an iPad but iOS is holding it back.

Paragon

Apple's battery stats are terrible.
  1. Those times at the bottom are since "last full charge" - so if you pulled the cable at 99% then they could be continuing from a previous day, which would explain the 7 hours usage and 7 hours standby.
  2. The displayed stats are a percentage of usage, not the percentage of battery drain. So in the last 24 hours Safari was 19% of the apps you used, it did not drain 19% of your battery in 14 minutes even though that's what it appears to show.

Fliesen

Apple's battery stats are terrible.
  1. Those times at the bottom are since "last full charge" - so if you pulled the cable at 99% then they could be continuing from a previous day, which would explain the 7 hours usage and 7 hours standby.
  2. The displayed stats are a percentage of usage, not the percentage of battery drain. So in the last 24 hours Safari was 19% of the apps you used, it did not drain 19% of your battery in 14 minutes even though that's what it appears to show.

this is factually wrong. otherwise apps that had the same "on screen" time would have the same impact on battery, which they don't.

Like, for example (my current stats)
16 minutes "Home & Lock Screen" -> 5%
3 minutes "Photos" -> 5%
8 minutes "Settings" -> 4%
13 minutes "Safari" -> 3%

The "Usage" time at the bottom can be borked, yes. Which is why you should be looking at the individual apps, their on screen time and their battery consumption.

KdotIX

I really wish they bring the iPad keyboard to iPhone plus models. I got an 8+ and I feel like it would benefit massively from it. Also the first iteration of multitasking would be good. God know it has the specs to handle it!

Fliesen

I really wish they bring the iPad keyboard to iPhone plus models. I got an 8+ and I feel like it would benefit massively from it. Also the first iteration of multitasking would be good. God know it has the specs to handle it!

on the one hand, i do agree that iOS should offer features to big-screen phones, that only make sense on those larger screens (beyond rotating home screen icons).
On the other hand, i don't know whether or not we need iOS to be further fragmented within the device family, when we're already seeing iPad the iPhone drifting apart in feature sets.

On the other(third?) hand i'm hoping that - with the iPhone X having pretty much the "plus" screen on a regular sized phone's body, that we're going back, once again unifying the iPhone to a one-size-fits-all version.

at the end of the day - iPhones should just get Picture in Picture support.

Paragon

this is factually wrong. otherwise apps that had the same "on screen" time would have the same impact on battery, which they don't.
I can see how what I wrote may not be clear.
My battery is currently at 96% charge. Yet Safari is listed at 23% for 15 minutes of use.
It's 23% of the current battery usage, not 23% of the total battery capacity. Or to put it another way, that 23% is really 0.92% of the total battery capacity.
I understand why they don't list it like that though, as topping off the battery charge during the day would increase the "total capacity" of the battery that usage is a percentage of.
But listing 15 minutes of Safari usage as "23%" can make people think that Safari has used a ton of battery capacity in a very short amount of time.

It doesn't do a good job giving people a good indicator of what the actual causes of poor battery life are. They should calculate what apps are actually drawing the most amount of power for the amount of time displayed on-screen over a much longer period of time.

Fliesen

I can see how what I wrote may not be clear.
My battery is currently at 96% charge. Yet Safari is listed at 23% for 15 minutes of use.
It's 23% of the current battery usage, not 23% of the total battery capacity. Or to put it another way, that 23% is really 0.92% of the total battery capacity.
I understand why they don't list it like that though, as topping off the battery charge during the day would increase the "total capacity" of the battery that usage is a percentage of.
But listing 15 minutes of Safari usage as "23%" can make people think that Safari has used a ton of battery capacity in a very short amount of time.

It doesn't do a good job giving people a good indicator of what the actual causes of poor battery life are. They should calculate what apps are actually drawing the most amount of power for the amount of time displayed on-screen over a much longer period of time.

yeah, ok, i get what you mean, that's of course correct.
The percentage numbers always add up to 100%.

Of course, if you're at 8% battery and haven't done any intermittent charging, (i.e. the total battery drain is actually 92% of your battery's capacity) the numbers should have reasonable accuracy representing what contributed to this drain to which degree.

Like, Enco's post earlier in the thread had Safari at 29% battery consumption from just half an hour of browsing, on a phone drained to 4% battery left.

Battery is shit using safari. Dont remember being so bad (6s).

are you using any content blocker that might not have been updated yet?

Battery is shit using safari. Dont remember being so bad (6s).

Nobody seems to want to go on record listing how much screen time they get on gaf etc for a full battery.
On my 6 I get about 4 hours mixed with some twitter and news.
The launch iphone6 battery life for wifi browsing time is generally held to be 11 hours! WTF no way.

I get close to 10 hours doing the same stuff on my iPad Pro 10.5 over wifi. Which is about what it's rated.

How much do you get on your 6s?

I need to do a full charge and test the hours. I dont know how much. I dont have a content blocker either.

since the last post i lost 2% browsing safari for 4-6 minutes.

holygeesus

Banned
Are people who complain about battery life giving the device time after updating to take care of indexing everything again (or whatever the term is?)? I left mine overnight before using it and the battery on the SE seems no different.

Fuu

6S still getting warm as hell 3 days later with normal use. Wasn’t acting like that on iOS 10. Battery still shittier too, but I’m being patient.

Number45

Been using it for a little bit and still don't like it.

What I'd want is slide over to open a selection of apps that you'd want for multitasking.
Essentially replace the right section of the dock and allow for certainly more icons to be pinned in this quickly accessible menu.
When I first started using it I had to close the fucking app I was watching so that I could get the other app I wanted into the dock. The old method was quicker and totally intuitive and to cap it off the swipe from the right hasn’t even been replaced with anything so it could have stayed.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Are people who complain about battery life giving the device time after updating to take care of indexing everything again (or whatever the term is?)? I left mine overnight before using it and the battery on the SE seems no different.

It’s been a week so yes.

cackhyena

My 6 seems to have normalized. Battery was def draining quicker the first few days. Now it seems as good, if not a bit better than pre update. I wish they’d let you carry over all setups to new updates. Things like Reduce Motion were flipped back on when I updated. F that noise.

Risto

Banned
Shit, now I'm afraid to upgrade my phone.

iPad seems good though

To clarify. Features I didn’t want were re-enabled like auto brightness (which would be fine if they didn’t hide the setting in a menu that makes no sense now). Apps have been freezing or crashing regularly (I’ve never had an issue with apps crashing on iPhone). The worst is the battery issue. It’s been days and my battery is still draining quickly. I don’t use my phone much. It normally lasts about 2 days and is at 30% roughly when I lay down for bed so I plug it in. My iPhone can’t even make it 12 hours now without indicating it’s in low power mode, and I have to hurry and charge it. Also, I’m not using it any more than usual, there is clearly something wrong

Edit: don’t even get me started on the new control center thing that swipes up from the bottom....compared to the old one this is garbage. I have no idea how Apple thought this was an improvement.

Top Bottom