• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2015 | Last chance to play your favorites before iOS9 breaks them

awp69

Galactic Keep certainly lives up to the hype. It's just so engaging. The sound and text describing everything actually brings you into the game in ways many 3D games just can't achieve. Brilliant. Just brilliant mix of dice based board game mechanics, RPG and sci-fi comic pulp coupled with amazing sound effects.

I started The Guides this morning.very cool presentation and a good mixture of puzzles so far but I'm stuck on the 11th puzzle.

Can anyone confirm if dungeon of the endless has a virtual control pad or is it point and move?

EDIT - got past it. Stuck on another one now haha.

killercow

I started The Guides this morning.very cool presentation and a good mixture of puzzles so far but I'm stuck on the 11th puzzle.

Can anyone confirm if dungeon of the endless has a virtual control pad or is it point and move?

EDIT - got past it. Stuck on another one now haha.

It's tap to move AFAIK.

EDIT:
Holy Cow Alert: Frozen Synapse Prime Comes to iOS today:
http://double11.co.uk/frozen-synapse-prime-comes-to-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch-august-20th/

ElyrionX

Are any of the main Final Fantasy games universal? I own FFT on the iPad but appparently that one is not universal.

It's utterly absurd how it's still impossible to find out from the app store whether an app is universal or not.

And how is FF6 on the iPhone 6 Plus? Will it have stretched graphics or something? Is the app universal?

awp69

Square-Enix finally released an English version of its Portal app. Honestly don't know what all it has in it from an informational perspective. But I have had the Japanese Android version and it includes the original Final Fantasy game in it for free (the app itself is also free).

Edit: Looks like the English version is only giving Final Fantasy away until August 31st. So if you want it, download it now!

In flying tomorrow and haven't downloaded anything new since you must build a boat.

Any recommendations??
If you want something narrative-heavy, check out Her Story

Tactical strategy, Warhammer Deathwatch or Dungeon of the Endless

Stealth and survival, This War of Mine

Deep RPG, Galactic Keep

Anyone else playing Dungeon of the Endless?

Slowly getting better, I finally made it floor 4

Not just a tower-defense dungeon crawler roguelike, also some squad-based strategy DNA in there too. A little bit of everything

Once you get the gist of the game, you realize one of the most critical aspect is planning your route from start to the level exit.

See, enemies only spawn in dark rooms, and you only have enough energy to power a certain amount of rooms. So the ideal route is short and has rooms filled with modules acting buffers along your main route.

It's really tense planning your path and then enacting it, as hordes of enemies flood the level.

I have to say, it's nice seeing the threads for stuff like Galactic Keep and Horizon Chase actually getting comments and those comments not being of the "mobile games suck" variety

killercow

I have to say, it's nice seeing the threads for stuff like Galactic Keep and Horizon Chase actually getting comments and those comments not being of the "mobile games suck" variety

Even the FFVII and Lara Croft GO threads have been like that. It's nice to see these kinds of comments for a change.

Aaron D.

Even the FFVII and Lara Croft GO threads have been like that. It's nice to see these kinds of comments for a change.

I'm honestly getting a little concerned over the growing battle between PC & iOS in my upcoming GOTY '15 list. Mobile usually gets a slot or two in my Top 10, but I've already got Skiing Yeti Mountain and Farming Sim 16 locked in, and if Hitman GO is any indicator, Lara Croft GO will be making an appearance as well.

That's not even mentioning titles that are in the running as well (Geometry Wars 3, Prune, Pac-Man 256).

Cripes, it's gonna be a bloodbath come end of year!

I'm honestly getting a little concerned over the growing battle between PC & iOS in my upcoming GOTY '15 list. Mobile usually gets a slot or two in my Top 10, but I've already got Skiing Yeti Mountain and Farming Sim 16 locked in, and if Hitman GO is any indicator, Lara Croft GO will be making an appearance as well.

That's not even mentioning titles that are in the running as well (Geometry Wars 3, Prune, Pac-Man 256).

Imagine if Lara Craft GO edges out Rise of the Tomb Raider in the GAF GOTY voting

Anyone here heard of The Frostrune?

It's an in-dev adventure game, that's like Year Walk but Nordic mythology

B9zRvYTIEAANV5C.jpg

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action

how does Farming Sim 16 feel? i want a relaxing sim building game, and FS does look like it fits the bill but i'm concerned about potential time constrains and how good the driving controls are.

Aaron D.

how does Farming Sim 16 feel? i want a relaxing sim building game, and FS does look like it fits the bill but i'm concerned about potential time constrains and how good the driving controls are.

FS16 is fan-freaking-tastic.

It controls wonderfully. There's a couple options (tilt and on-screen slider), but I opt for the tilt style. There's also a Horizon Tilt toggle that keeps the screen leveled as you tilt back and forth. It's a little disorienting at first but absolutely ace once you learn that you only need to tilt your phone subtlety for desired results. I'm surprised this control method isn't used more on mobile.

Using tilt makes camera controls a breeze with L/R swipes panning and up/down zooming. Tap twice to center camera behind vehicle and again for reverse view.

I've got close to 10 hours logged and the game has only been out for 2 weeks. That's pretty rare for me when it comes to mobile. Great game.

My only complaint is that the day/night cycle is too fast.

jon bones

FS16 is fan-freaking-tastic.

It controls wonderfully. There's a couple options (tilt and on-screen slider), but I opt for the tilt style. There's also a Horizon Tilt toggle that keeps the screen leveled as you tilt back and forth. It's a little disorienting at first but absolutely ace once you learn that you only need to tilt your phone subtlety for desired results. I'm surprised this control method isn't used more on mobile.

Using tilt makes camera controls a breeze with L/R swipes panning and up/down zooming. Tap twice to center camera behind vehicle and again for reverse view.

I've got close to 10 hours logged and the game has only been out for 2 weeks. That's pretty rare for me when it comes to mobile. Great game.

My only complaint is that the day/night cycle is too fast.

sounds pretty good to me - are there time constraints / tough lose conditions? i basically want to farm and dick around and not have to worry too much about stuff

Aaron D.

sounds pretty good to me - are there time constraints / tough lose conditions? i basically want to farm and dick around and not have to worry too much about stuff

No punitive time constraints as far as I can tell.

After you seed a field it goes through the growth to harvest cycle pretty quickly, so your crops should be ready maybe 10 or 15 minutes after you plant them. Now I know that in the PC version of the game your crops will wither and need to be plowed under if you let them sit too long at the harvest-ready stage, but that takes a LONG time on PC and I've never even seen it in the mobile version. Could be turned off, but I'm not sure.

killercow

From what I read, the two are pretty much identical gameplay-wise. Prime has some tweaks, and stuff like the upgraded visuals, a revamped campaign structure, and killcams, but it's essentially the same game

But considering that Prime's controls were streamlined for consoles, I imagine that it might control easier on touch than the original game

Yeah, controls might be better here but I prefer the original style of FS.

awp69

Hitman Sniper seems to have been pulled from the US store :-/

That's odd. I meant to post yesterday that it was on sale for the first time. Now it isn't showing at all in App Zapp either.

Wonder if it's got issues with iOS 9 and with it coming pretty soon, they decided to pull and fix it now.

Of course, that isn't usually the case with Square Enix, which has had games broken for probably a year after an iOS release.

Maybe they're changing their ways after the flak they got for those issues.

That's odd. I meant to post yesterday that it was on sale for the first time. Now it isn't showing at all in App Zapp either.

Wonder if it's got issues with iOS 9 and with it coming pretty soon, they decided to pull and fix it now.

Of course, that isn't usually the case with Square Enix, which has had games broken for probably a year after an iOS release.

Well Square Enix may publish all those games, it's not the same devs working on the Hitman games.

So how those other Square Enix games are handled don't apply to how SE Montreal handle Hitman GO, Hitman Sniper, and Lara Croft GO

killercow

It's been pulled:
We know some of you are experiencing issues with Hitman: Sniper’s new update. It will be temporarily unavailable as we work on fixing it.
https://twitter.com/SquareEnixMtl/status/634372842319126528

Pretty sad story from Radiangames on their blog about the failure of Inferno 2 on Steam (there's a story on TA as well but the blog post gives more insight).

http://www.radiangames.com/inferno-2-on-steam-not-a-good-opening-act/

But the good news is that they will be releasing a trailer for a new mobile release later this week.
TA's reaction
This should serve as a warning for developers who see desktop and consoles as greener pastures: they're not.
Tell that to
- Lucas Pope (Helsing's Fire > Paper's Please)
- 11Bit (Anomaly > This War of Mine)
- Whalenought (Isle of Bxnes > Serpent in the Staglands)
- Mountain Sheep (Bike Baron, Minigore > Hardland)
- BitMonster (Lili, GunnerZ > Grav)
- Defiant Development (Ski Safari > Hand of Fate)
- Uppercut (Epoch > Submerged)

and others

Personally, I'd say the poor sales are more of a factor of releasing around the same time as games like The Swindle, Victor Vran, and Five Nights 4, and the week before Gamescom, when sites are preoccupied with covering announcements and new trailers

It's the same reason you don't launch a Kickstarter before, during, or after E3. Sites are concerned with pre-conference trailers, live coverage, hands-on previews, reactions, etc., rather than small indie releases

To say Radiangames' situation is the norm ignores other variables and the success of numerous other devs who have moved from mobile to PC/console

awp69

TA's reaction

Tell that to
- Lucas Pope (Helsing's Fire > Paper's Please)
- 11Bit (Anomaly > This War of Mine)
- Whalenought (Isle of Bxnes > Serpent in the Staglands)
- Mountain Sheep (Bike Baron, Minigore > Hardland)
- BitMonster (Lili, GunnerZ > Grav)
- Defiant Development (Ski Safari > Hand of Fate)
- Uppercut (Epoch > Submerged)

and others

Personally, I'd say the poor sales are more of a factor of releasing around the same time as games like The Swindle, Victor Vran, and Five Nights 4, and the week before Gamescom, when sites are preoccupied with covering announcements and new trailers

It's the same reason you don't launch a Kickstarter before, during, or after E3. Sites are concerned with pre-conference trailers, live coverage, hands-on previews, reactions, etc., rather than small indie releases

To say Radiangames' situation is the norm ignores other variables and the success of numerous other devs who have moved from mobile to PC/console

I agree. I don't think it's at all wrong for a mobile developer to try to make the move to PC or consoles. Radiangames even admits they didn't do enough to promote the game.

Personally, I think they may have done better porting it to consoles. Twin stick shooters lend themselves well to controllers and the exposure would have been far easier than amid the tons of games being released on Steam.

I know they used to do the Indie games on Xbox 360, where I doubt they made much because that section just was largely overlooked. But with Xbox One and PS4 being more receptive to indie developers, I think it would have done well there. Ports of games like Threes and even Beach Buggy Racing seem like they have generally been received well on the current gen consoles.

Really excited for Horizon Chase tonight. Been looking forward to it for some time.

Anyone planning on making a thread for it? If not, I may do it as I feel like it might go under the radar and it's something GAF would probably enjoy.
Thank you for the thread. I wouldn't have discovered the game by myself. This is so good...

And dat soundtrack... Barry Leitch is a legend.

Matt Frost

cKfVI5l.jpg

This just in: Horizon Chase kicks ass.

Absolutely, bought it because some friends were saying some really good things about it and I wholeheartedly agree with them. Horizon Chase is mighty good. I dont usually like racing games but this one rocks. A homage to the 80s and 90s racing games like OutRun or Cruising USA.

Shaneus

It is. It's really so amazing, loving the hell out of it. That and Pacman 256 have been heaven for phone gaming this week.

jon bones

cKfVI5l.jpg

This just in: Horizon Chase kicks ass.

Thank you for the thread. I wouldn't have discovered the game by myself. This is so good...

And dat soundtrack... Barry Leitch is a legend.

Absolutely, bought it because some friends were saying some really good things about it and I wholeheartedly agree with them. Horizon Chase is mighty good. I dont usually like racing games but this one rocks. A homage to the 80s and 90s racing games like OutRun or Cruising USA.

OMG Horizon Chase. Great style, perfect control - totally loving it.

It is. It's really so amazing, loving the hell out of it. That and Pacman 256 have been heaven for phone gaming this week.

not sure how i can ignore this

Horizon Chase copped

Top Bottom