• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2015 | Last chance to play your favorites before iOS9 breaks them

awp69

Anyone who has an Android device and likes the Warhammer games, there's a nice Humble Bundle going on right now.

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile

Supposedly the free to play games, like Space Wolf, come with codes to redeem that may make them more premium.

No Deathwatch or Arcane Magic, but they will add new games next week. A lot of times, Android versions debut via Humble Bundle, but not usually the "bonus games". If I knew they were, I'd be definately doing the BTA as Arcane Magic looks good.

Completely addicted to Sorcery! at the moment. Cant wait to finish it to start the second, then the 3rd and hoping the 4th part releases this year :D

Also, good news as well as the sequel to Hero Emblems is on its way! Now I need to grind more to be able to buy more emblems and defeat the orc xD
Any details on the sequel?

This game looks fascinating

Releasing August 17th
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uH3wjEiF28E
Consisting of hundreds of extremely challenging codes, puzzles and interactive ciphers, The Guides is a journey that will challenge your wit, stretch your imagination and test your ingenuity in unique and innovative ways.

2_23.gif
Sample_11.png

PittaGAF

For the ones interested over the TA official Deathwatch thread there is is now a terrific convo about strategies on Heroic (which are pretty different than Veteran or Normal).
A testament of how varied and deep the game gets the more you play....you can read all sort of different strategies and configurations, all working for some people.

From full Space Wolves Assault teams to full Ultramarines Chapters, from Blood Angels awesomeness to mixed ones...from flamers only squads to Melta cannons greatness...and everything in between.

awp69

So, TA is trying to argue that Angry Birds 2 isn't that different from past games because the past games were always random.

See, there really isn't much difference between the natural randomness of a physics-based game and the intentional randomness of shuffling birds and stages.

Right...

...Sigh...

------

Doom & Destiny Advance, which I didn't even know was coming, and the full version of .Decluster Zero: Bullet Nocturne are both out at launch prices ($.99 and $2.99 respectively).

And this made me laugh. Final Fantasy Tactics is 50% off but has this disclaimer:

"※This is an important notice for players of SQUARE ENIX games on the iOS platform. Apple has officially announced the release of its iOS 9 Beta. However, since our apps are not compatible with the iOS 9 Beta at this time, we regret we are unable to provide customer support for any trouble arising from installation of this OS (including, but not limited to, data recovery or undelivered in-game currencies)."

WTF? I know it only mentions the beta. But it sure would be nice if they at least said whether they are going to eventually support iOS 9. I only have the iPhone version and wouldn't mind the iPad version. But I'm not buying it again if SE isn't going to even bother to try to support iOS 9.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat??????????????????!?!?!?

Please tell me a new Monsters Ate My Condo (one of my absolute favorites games ever) is about to get a new version? I am so excited, will be watching the stream happily in an hour. Man this made my day :D

I'm not sure it will be what you are expecting, but the stream has started.

Edit: or it had. Seems to be technical issues.

Matt Frost

I'm not sure it will be what you are expecting, but the stream has started.

Some matching-3 heaven like the previous two? :D

Edit: Nope, is a card game. Looks as wacky fun as the other ones but... different. I like the timed events showing there. Looks great. Is also F2P but Super Monsters Ate My Condo didnt have timers and double currency so it was fair to me and this seems similar -although I still wish for a true endless mode-. Looks good and probably will be a lot of fun since AdultSwim does publish some of the weirdest/fun games around.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Some matching-3 heaven like the previous two? :D

Edit: Nope, is a card game. Looks as wacky fun as the other ones but... different. I like the timed events showing there. Looks great. Is also F2P but Super Monsters Ate My Condo didnt have timers and double currency so it was fair to me and this seems similar -although I still wish for a true endless mode-. Looks good and probably will be a lot of fun since AdultSwim does publish some of the weirdest/fun games around.

This is certainly the weirdest game we have made in a while.

So besides the expected stuff like Spider and Calvino Noir, the other game I'm really excited about this month is The Guides. The trailer gives off a strong Device 6 vibe, with the cyphers and codes, and that's always a good thing. Also getting a Myst vibe, not in the sense of it being first person but in how it's described. How you need to pay attention and remember past details, and learn how things worked in one puzzle to figure out another puzzle.

Really excited for that

JCho133

Doom and Destiny Advanced has launched, looks pretty good.

Never played the firsts though. Apparently they are "RPG Parodies."

awp69

Doom and Destiny Advanced has launched, looks pretty good.

Never played the firsts though. Apparently they are "RPG Parodies."

I need to finish the first one but immediately bought the second. The original was hilarious and a pretty good RPG so not just for laughs.

RedSwirl

Noticed this game called "Front Wars." Basically Advance-Wars-but-not-Advance-Wars. Is it even the best AW clone out there? How's WarBits coming along?

Matt Frost

Noticed this game called "Front Wars." Basically Advance-Wars-but-not-Advance-Wars. Is it even the best AW clone out there? How's WarBits coming along?

Dont know about WarBits, theid said on Twitter that they were "hoping to launch this year"... I want it too.... Never played Front Wars but after looking for info I found out is a simple version of Panzer General. Has an overall rating of 3.5 stars, cost 4$ and has an IAP for the axis campaign for 3$. Hope it helps as it did me (not buying, waiting).

PittaGAF

When you have an established squad for a certain period of time and you finally unlock all the skills and at least 2 gear slots (i.e.: 30-40 hours later) DeathWatch seems almost a new game, much more RPG like....you start calling your marines by name, recognize them from the gear you outfitted them etc....(not to mention the much greater tactical possibilities at your disposal).
Really really great....I think I played 50 hours already and I can't enough of it (almost end of Veteran).

killercow

There's a new Adventure Time game coming tonight and it's a rhythm game. That's great, I'm a fan of those but this one is just a blatant rip-off of Rhythm Tengoku/ Rhythm Heaven!

See this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNOcta7QN-4

The first game is exactly the "Choir Boy" minigame:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWUML0lvSFk

The second one is the "Ring Side":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8c9ZqwyN5vU

The Third one is "Samurai":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyZbt5obvQg
(or "Shoot-em-up": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUBC13cxu7o)

And the Fourth One is "Monkey Hear,Monkey Do":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMrlxFryUIQ

As you can probably guess I'm a huge huge fan of the series but this is way too much of a rip-off.

If you still want to check out the game (out at midnight):

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/rockstars-ooo-adventure-time/id943632624?mt=8&uo=4

awp69

There's a new Adventure Time game coming tonight and it's a rhythm game. That's great, I'm a fan of those but this one is just a blatant rip-off of Rhythm Tengoku/ Rhythm Heaven

That's pretty sad coming from Cartoon Network. Maybe they worked with the devs of those games?

Usually see more of this from smaller devs.

Oh nice, I was addicted to Condo for awhile.
Just to clarify, it's very different from Condo. Rather than a match-3 puzzler, it's a card battler. A wild colorful over-the-top card battler, with a rock-paper-scissor relationship between different colored cards. It's fun and pretty addictive

awp69

Just to clarify, it's very different from Condo. Rather than a match-3 puzzler, it's a card battler. A wild colorful over-the-top card battler, with a rock-paper-scissor relationship between different colored cards. It's fun and pretty addictive

Agreed. It is really fun. Unfortunately has an energy system and the costs of restoring energy are very high IMO. Lowest consumable IAP is $2.99 and I just don't do recurring consumable purchases. Even watching videos only nets 5 gems and it takes 350 gems to restore energy, which is a way lower ratio than similar games with the watch video option. Doesn't sound like this will be tweaked prior to release, but I really think they should reconsider the video watching payout.

But the game is good enough -- like really good -- that I may forgo my general opposition to such systems and just play in spurts.

Flunkie

Banned
ah, I remember the time where I was all-in with mobile gaming...

I'm so glad I'm out of that phase, but miss iOS-GAF.

ah, I remember the time where I was all-in with mobile gaming...

I'm so glad I'm out of that phase, but miss iOS-GAF.
Haven't been playing much lately?

So many good releases lately, it's been pretty overwhelming. Which is always a good problem for a platform to have IMO

Matt Frost

Spider: Rite of the Shrouded Moon, the sequel to Spider: Secret Of Bryce Manor, a game from 2009 (maybe the first meaty on iOS) got an NZ link and should be available at midnight. 5$. From the developers Tiger Style, creators of the amazing awesome spectacular Waking Mars. I tested it, didn't find anything wrong with it, quite the contrary, I found an amazing game, surpasses even my wildest expectations. It will end on my GotY list without doubt. Will not be the first place but it will be high enough. ABSOLUTELY RECOMMENDED.

screen640x640.jpeg

screen640x640.jpeg

There is a 5 star review at TA by Shaun that I agree with.

THE game for this week folks, look no further.

https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/apple-store/id767546279?mt=8

I was on the fence with Spider, actually didn't like the controls in the first one that much, but the increased difficulty, more puzzles, bigger levels, and the real-time day and weather effects sold me

awp69

Something I didnt know is coming to iOS before the end of the year: Element4l. A shaper-shifting platformer. According to Steam is brilliant and pushes the genre forward. According to PocketGamer is the next AppStore hit. Made it to my Most Wanted list.

bip-winner-gamescom-elem.jpg

bip-winner-gamescom-element4l.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWahZSXJZqo

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPhone/Big+Indie+Pitch/news.asp?c=66874

I was actually looking at that game on PSN, but it doesn't appear to be compatible with PSTV (and I don't have a "real" Vita). Must use touch controls on Vita too.

awp69

I was on the fence with Spider, actually didn't like the controls in the first one that much, but the increased difficulty, more puzzles, bigger levels, and the real-time day and weather effects sold me

I'm still on the fence. Remembered kind of liking it but not loving it.

Downloading the original since even with the weather effects, bigger levels, etc., the core gameplay is not supposed to have changed much.

okno

I'm kind of on the fence with Monsters Ate My Metropolis. I loved, loved, loved Monsters Ate My Condo, didn't love Super Monsters Ate My Condo so much, and am not completely in love with Metropolis...

The game is very animated and zany and wacky and hilarious, just like the first two. The animations are top-notch and very over the top, which is a huge part of the series' charm and is what keeps you coming back for more! The new card matching battle system is, indeed, very fun and addicting, but I have a few problems with it...

1) It's increasingly clear early on that getting powerful cards is very difficult, due to the random nature of the card purchase system. This has put me at a severe disadvantage very early on, because people within the same rank as me with similar populations somehow have entire decks made with cards that deal no less than 240 damage, whereas my cards range from 55-309. This seems like a push to get people to spend money to get better cards, and I don't like that.

2) You earn tokens pretty slowly, in my opinion, and I can see this becoming a bigger issue once you level up more and don't get your energy meter refilled as quickly as the experience gap grows.

3) The energy meter, yuck. Don't like it. I also don't like the fact that you can only connect with friends through Facebook. I never, ever do that, so this puts me at a disadvantage.

Other than that, I really enjoy the game. Just all of the F2P trappings turn me off pretty severely, but I see this game doing quite well for itself once it releases to the public.

Edit: TWO THINGS I FORGOT!

1a) I wish one could swipe up on the cards to play them instead of having to tap the card to select it. By habit I keep swiping up before remembering to tap.

2a) There's a bug that happens whenever I have to tap ferociously. After I do it successfully (achieving an Awesome score), the animations speed up by double. The battle tap thing doesn't speed up, just the animations for the entire rest of the battle. It's a bit distracting.

Edit2: forgot one more thing: the Mega Zone attack is totally pointless. The damage output from it is absolutely worthless unless you have a crap hand. 9/10 times I was better off playing a card in my hand.

SuperPac

Part of that is that there's only ~100 people playing the Testflight release at the moment so the initial tournament feels a little unbalanced. I tend to think things will balance out in the card power/difficulty department when the game is released to everyone (which will be very soon!). But still it is very satisfying to beat a player with a lot higher-powered cards than you by using card color advantages.

MegaZone - which monster are you using? To me, it depends what cards you've got versus the opposing city at the time MegaZone becomes available. I often save that for when I have a clear element disadvantage and playing a card would cut my attack in half while doubling the opponent's. Also Reginald Starfire's stats power up his MegaZone faster and it hits harder than the others.

Token earning - My strategy for that is always challenging opponents that are higher in the tournament position. Your winnings will be greater (and you'll probably lose occasionally too but the only failure cost is energy).

Top Bottom