• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming August 2015 | Last chance to play your favorites before iOS9 breaks them

Rlan

Hey guys, on holidays in Europe at the moment, but wanted to pop in and tell you all to go check out Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride!

We've just released a massive update for both games to celebrate the 5th anniversary of Fruit Ninja. FN has a brand new challenge mode versus characters in the game, a brand new selection of crazy mini game modes, and a ton more! Biggest update in ages.

Jetpack Joyride's the one i've worked on, and it's pretty massive too -- we added a whole new mode to celebrate! Cut & Run plays like Jetpack, but with a Fruit Ninja twist! 60 seconds to slice as much fruit as possible, with new leaderboards and everything! Just tap the top left corner of the screen and switch to the event!

It's got brand new music and art in there too, it was a ton of fun to make, and we've got plwbty more coming too :)

awp69

Anyone know the way the F2P model works in Loot & Legends? The look consumable, which I'm not a fan of possibly endless purchases.

awp69

Seems to be consumable. The In-Game premium currency is "Pizza".

Thought so. All I can do is try it and see if it looks like a paywall money machine. Game looks good.

On another note, anyone who is a fan of Ire: Blood Memory. It got a massive update last night with new modes, new bosses, new weapons and tons of smaller changes.

Minsc

Gold Member
Thought so. All I can do is try it and see if it looks like a paywall money machine. Game looks good.

On another note, anyone who is a fan of Ire: Blood Memory. It got a massive update last night with new modes, new bosses, new weapons and tons of smaller changes.

There's no paywall in the PC version, so if they really ported it, you should be fine. It's a great game, reviewed very well too.

The Gamezebo review of Spider 2 explores an interesting issue: the increased gamification of the the sequel. It was the same thing that happened to Shelter 2 on PC. That while in the first Spider, you felt more like a spider living a place and learning the story simply through exploration, the sequel diminishes that immersion due to greater player involvement, like solving puzzles or returning to menus after level rather than continuing directly to the next room
But as an experience, Bryce Manor still has the upper hand. Uncovering clues unintentionally and without feeling like you have to pixel-hunt every corner of the house let us feel like we were in on a secret no one else was. We were simultaneously spider and player, whereas in Shrouded Moon, we’re more often just the latter.

Rlan

I noticed there was an update to Bears vs Art as well, though it didn't seem to actually do anything besides change the title screen and the skill points screen.

it's a pretty elaborate celebration. Jetpack and FN have the biggest updates, mentioned above.

Bears vs art has added fruit based paintings into the game which slicing enough of them will get you a costume of katsuro.

Radical Rappelling gives you a FN styled costume for both Rip and Roxy.

Band Stars has a FN themed studio.

Monster Dash has a new Katana weapon and a few challenge levels based on it.

Top Farm has a FN statue and special deals with a fruit ninja character selling you special goods.

Yes Chef has 25 new levels with Fruit, and a world where you go through the levels.

Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville is being released next week. $5, premium
Rebuild 3: Gangs of Deadsville is a strategy sim game with a good helping of narrative and dark humor. It's a thoughtful game that'll make you fond of your survivors before you send them to their deaths for the greater good. As you expand your fort to new buildings, you'll decide between farms or fortifications, housing or hospitals, and make tough decisions to fend off raiders, illness, starvation, and madness. And the dead are still out there wandering the streets, hungrier than ever.
rebuild8.png
rebuild21.png

A great game I wholeheartedly recommend.
Super long too.
Sometimes really hard too, but I was able to complete it nonetheless (controls are generally perfect but last boss is really nasty).
Still GORGEOUS to look at and a pleasure to hear.
Oh, really? I always thought it was more of a zen-atmosphere game. It's actually a challenge?

Hope that means Rex Rocket did well. The controls could occassionally be frustrating but as a whole the game never got as much attention as it deserved IMO.
After the Kickstarter failed, FDG Entertainment (published Oceanhorn, Slayin, etc.) picked up the game, so I think this game getting made has less to do with Rex Rocket and more that they're being funded by a publisher

PittaGAF

Oh, really? I always thought it was more of a zen-atmosphere game. It's actually a challenge?

I didn't play many, but it is hands down the best Metroidvania I played.
The game is mostly exploration with puzzle solving to acquire powers that let you 'open' new areas (they are HUGE) alternated to action/bosses sequences that can be very frantic.
It's really relaxing at first just enjoying the scenarios, the music etc...but it gets quite involved later on.
There is a fantastic story too, with a couple of twists and even an optional story part.
There is quite a nice crafting part too (you collect things in the sea that you can cook to create other things that help you).

I enjoyed Aquaria for a while but got a bit tired of it. It just keeps going on and on.

It IS super long...I played it long ago but I remember the story really picks up 6-10 hours in.
Maps are massive, and there are a LOT of them...many you can go pretty early that are incredibly difficult (you will have to return later to them when more and better equipped).

Aquaria is great, but I didn't like the iOS controls. Your hand keeps blocking the view.

I didn't had problems during the 'normal gameplay' (exploration...it was the classic drag to move contro scheme (so yeah your hand can cover the screen)....generally it's very relaxing and calm, and I did take my time to witness this world between my hands, but some bosses are pretty difficult (last one comes to mind) and controls din't help.
You must change powers on the fly pretty quickly in some cases and it's a bit slow.
I remember I died quite a bit due to controls on last boss, but I wanted to know the end of the story and I finally managed to do it (didn't help the last sequence is the classic 4 bosses in a row without healing or pausing).

Nevertheless it's overall a nice experience and a game not to be missed imho.

But I'm always a bit hesitant to advice More Badass a new game (and a long one too) when he already has almost all AppStore in the backlog :)

But I'm always a bit hesitant to advice More Badass a new game (and a long one too) when he already has almost all AppStore in the backlog :)
Heh, I know you mean. My wishlist for indies in general is crazy. But I'm actually tend to be pretty selective with my IOS purchases, save for times like now when I have some extra money to spend.

So yeah, picked up Aquaria and looking forward to Lara Croft GO

PittaGAF

Heh, I know you mean. My wishlist for indies in general is crazy. But I'm actually tend to be pretty selective with my IOS purchases, save for times like now when I have some extra money to spend.

So yeah, picked up Aquaria and looking forward to Lara Croft GO

LOL.
I know you couldn't help to.
Let me know what you think...I played it long ago but I remember I really enjoyed it.

So looking forward Lara Croft GO too!
And I have still to even launch: Transistor, This War of Mine and the new Spider.

But I'm too deep still in Deathwatch I do not know when that will happen.

PittaGAF

Just completed Deathwatch on veteran difficulty (about 50 hours).
Basically I couldn't even breathe during all last mission.
What a game!!!!
Heroic, here I come.

Also Mushroom 11 seems to be confirmed for IOS, Android

From an interview in April, on the game's release schedule
First on Steam for PC, Mac and Linux. We will also plan to release it on touch screens next (Android and iOS).

And from the press kit and Indie Megabooth page:
For: pc, mac, linux, ios, android, vita, wiiu
Platforms:
- PC/Mac/Linux
- iOS/Android
- Handheld Consoles

The game is awesome, and should be a perfect fit for touch
m11_l2_6.gif
m11_5.3.gif
m11_8.3.gif

PittaGAF

So...Stasis could come to mobile. Devs had even seen builds on iPad already. Wrote about it on PG

Fans of mature sci fi horror and Alien and Event Horizon, this one is for you
http://stasisgame.com/web/page.php?p=about

The engine used since last big update (last year) has a nice 'export to iOS' button (not that easy of course).
I'm pestering the dev since I knew this (last year).
Just as today, he stated on his official Facebook page that iOS could come after the PC version.

I personally played the first alpha via splashtop on iPad and since then I want it on iOS.
I'm pretty confident we will see it on iPad...now the big question...play it at the end of this month (I refuse to play the just released beta) or wait for the iPad version?

awp69

So...Stasis could come to mobile. Devs had even seen builds on iPad already. Wrote about it on PG

Fans of mature sci fi horror and Alien and Event Horizon, this one is for you

The engine used since last big update (last year) has a nice 'export to iOS' button (not that easy of course).
I'm pestering the dev since I knew this (last year).
Just as today, he stated on his official Facebook page that iOS could come after the PC version.

I personally played the first alpha via splashtop on iPad and since then I want it on iOS.
I'm pretty confident we will see it on iPad...now the big question...play it at the end of this month (I refuse to play the just released beta) or wait for the iPad version?

This immediately jumps to the front of my wish list.

And what a great companion to Deathwatch it will make. :)

Pitta, is it purely point & click and puzzles or is there combat? I'm not a huge fan of P&C games, but this will likely be an exception.

This immediately jumps to the front of my wish list.

And what a great companion to Deathwatch it will make. :)

Pitta, is it purely point & click and puzzles or is there combat? I'm not a huge fan of P&C games, but this will likely be an exception.
It's point & click and puzzles. There are things onboard that want to kill you but you can't use items against them
But you can use items on yourself to commit suicide

Edit: yes, this will likely be an exception

PittaGAF

And, like I said, a nice addition to put along side Deathwatch for Alien-esque gaming.

Speaking of that, I found over 400 screenshots I took from Deathwatch.
It's outstanding on iPhone 6.
Some levels casts awesome realtime lighting on marines and xenos...so awesome.

I even made an experiment and recorded a video of last mission on veteran...if I have time I'll take another one not too spoilerish and I'll share it.

I do not think Stasis will come that fast...I think not before next year...but I'm confident it will come to iPad.

Picked up an IPad 2 days ago. Deathwatch is phenomenal hands down. I also picke up all the Dragon Quests as well as FTL and Papers Please. As a primarily PC gamer the IPad is nothing short of brilliant.

Picked up an IPad 2 days ago. Deathwatch is phenomenal hands down. I also picke up all the Dragon Quests as well as FTL and Papers Please. As a primarily PC gamer the IPad is nothing short of brilliant.
I've found that older ports like KOTOR and San Andreas feel really cluttered, while nowadays, devs get how to adapt games better to touch screens, so more recent ports like This War of Mine, Door Kickers, Don't Starve, etc. control really well

Have you been into IOS games before or is this your first foray into mobile?

heringer

I've found that older ports like KOTOR and San Andreas feel really cluttered, while nowadays, devs get how to adapt games better to touch screens, so more recent ports like This War of Mine, Door Kickers, Don't Starve, etc. control really well

Have you been into IOS games before or is this your first foray into mobile?

This is not so much a product of better adaptations but the kind of games being ported. In terms of controls, San Andreas can't really be compared to This War of Mine, Door Kickers and Don't Starve, which are fairly simple games, control wise.

I do think devs are picking games more fitting to iOS, though.

awp69

This is not so much a product of better adaptations but the kind of games being ported. In terms of controls, San Andreas can't really be compared to This War of Mine, Door Kickers and Don't Starve, which are fairly simple games, control wise.

I do think devs are picking games more fitting to iOS, though.

It's not so much that those games are simple - games like FTL and Door Kickers are far from simple. But it's definitely that a lot of the games being ported are well suited to touch screen. Like the line drawing mechanic of Door Kickers or just touching locations in FTL.

You don't see things like shooters being ported. And the ones that are generally are not well received. Even BioShock was a disappointment, regardless of graphic quality.

If San Andreas was ported today, I doubt it would work much better. It was a kind of wonky game control wise even on consoles.

Turn based RPGs are great to port, but action RPGs that are first or third person, and not top down or isometric, are iffy.

awp69

Anyone here playing Red Game Without a Great Name? Has that Badland style artwork and flying but watching some gameplay it looks like it has more mechanics and puzzles involved. Just wondered if there were any impressions from here.

PittaGAF

Deathwatch on HEROIC is brutality made video game.
I used to breeze during Act 1 but damn....just completed the Act...the game really keeps on your toes.

Top Bottom