• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot

PittaGAF

Is it a auto-runner? MFi support?

It is an auto runner (a genre I usually don't appreciate) but feels to me almost like a shoot'm'up.
I'm really liking the game, TONS of unlocks and you can earn them only by fulfilling the various tasks.

It's frantic and very hardcore, but always fair.

Sorry I do not know about MiFi support (I think not).

EDIT: beaten!!!

okno

Thanks to the raving of a certain member about a game called Lost Socks, I just blind purchased Lost Socks.

And it is AWFUL.

It was good for a laugh. I am too hungover to be buying things blind like this.

PittaGAF

Thanks to the raving of a certain member about a game called Lost Socks, I just blind purchased Lost Socks.

And it is AWFUL.

It was good for a laugh. I am too hungover to be buying things blind like this.

Wut?

The game is out next week.
Dev gifted some early codes on TA.

okno

Wut?

Haha, I'm not mad. Just thought it was funny. I wasn't paying enough attention to what you were saying, and it wasn't until after I bought that that I went back and saw you got a code to the game.

Moral of the story: Don't buy anything when you're hungover and just waking up.

killercow

Wut?

Just a note though Pitta, I was surprised at the lack of boss battles, especially when it seems like there's one at the end of each world on the map. Instead it just moves to the next one without any transition.

PittaGAF

Just a note though Pitta, I was surprised at the lack of boss battles, especially when it seems like there's one at the end of each world on the map. Instead it just moves to the next one without any transition.

Me too...I've been told there is a boss battle, and (according to dev anyway) it's epic.
Look at the map...all way on the left.

I'm almost there :)
NOT

But damn...it's really hard now....I MUST unlock the serpent thing but damn...I can't earn a star anymore anyway.

I've SO MANY levels 5 gold (five!!!!) away from unlocking the high score achievement it's infuriating (in a good way).

awp69

Alright, I was lucky enough to proclaim an early code for Lost Socks.

And...it's every bit of awesome as Pitta says!!!

Kind of feels like it out Rayman's Rayman. Has that brutal difficulty of the early Rayman games with much more focus on combat with the smooth animation and gameplay of the newer auto running Rayman games.

It's just fantastic. I haven't made it to the first boss yet and, honestly, am not concerned about a lack of bosses because the regular levels themselves are incredibly difficult.

I'm currently only at level 1-7 and am having a whale of a time passing it (got as far as what I believe was the very last enemy once and mistimed a jump).

Only wish is the ability to customize the button layout. I've found myself shooting when I wanted to dash and vice versa. Just would like to spread them apart a bit more.

But other than that, it's fantastic and hard to believe this is the studio's first game. So polished and well put together.

I haven't heard what the price tag will be but I'd say at least from my early impressions that this is a must buy for fans of auto runners, platformers and fast paced combat. It's hardcore so far more difficult than the newer Rayman games. But oh so fun!

Edit: finally got past 1-7, but got NO stars so I'm sure that'll hurt my progress at some point.

Edit 2: Holy crap, just the first segment of 1-8 is kicking my ass!

PittaGAF

Since a day I've now accustomed to keep my thumb on the left half of the main fire button....since then I never missed a button (but I did the first day).

It's really hard but do know that, unless I suck badly, the game is supposed to have you pushing forward with levels, earning stars to unlock weapons, then going back to previous levels to complete the stars and the high score achievement to unlock further weapons/powers and opening the gates to the next 'world'.

I've noticed that the very same levels can be totally different if you are trying to break all the cages, aiming for the high score achievement or completing the 3 tasks.

And everything counts for progressing in the levels.

awp69

Since a day I've now accustomed to keep my thumb on the left half of the main fire button....since then I never missed a button (but I did the first day).

It's really hard but do know that, unless I suck badly, the game is supposed to have you pushing forward with levels, earning stars to unlock weapons, then going back to previous levels to complete the stars and the high score achievement to unlock further weapons/powers and opening the gates to the next 'world'.

I've noticed that the very same levels can be totally different if you are trying to break all the cages, aiming for the high score achievement or completing the 3 tasks.

And everything counts for progressing in the levels.

I was going to ask what counts towards the "progress bar". Been wanting to unlock better weapons. Wasn't sure if it was stars, tasks or level completion. One time when I did all three tasks, the bar didn't seem to move.

PittaGAF

Stars and the high score achievement counts towards the unlock bar (I *think* the high score one counts double, i.e. the bar moves double but I have to check better).
The tasks give you extra money, which you can use to level up said weapons and powers.
TBH I'm at the Volcano gate now and I leveled up everything I could, money was never a problem.

But without that damn new primary weapon (the third one) I can't proceed....I miss just one step but the leftovers stars I've missed are damn hard.

I'm SO CLOSE now.

I must have died like a trillion times already.

PittaGAF

So how many levels are there in lost socks? And TA is saying there is only one boss in the game, that true?

I think there just one boss, the final one.
Not sure but I think there are 30-40 levels (sorry I do not have my iPhone with me).
Replay ability of those levels is really high tough...you WILL replay them to progress.

awp69

Not really difficulty I'm worried about, bosses just help change up the gameplay from blasting minions the whole time.

Well, Pitta could say better since he's gotten past the first world, but it seems like the minions have a decent amount of variety as well. And the levels themselves offer constant changes that mix things up. I would NOT get worried about being bored. I've been anything but.

Any more title suggestions?

Right now, got:
- iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows bit by bit
- iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits

Well, Pitta could say better since he's gotten past the first world, but it seems like the minions have a decent amount of variety as well. And the levels themselves offer constant changes that mix things up. I would NOT get worried about being bored. I've been anything but.
How's the weapon variety?

awp69

Any more title suggestions?

Right now, got:
- iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows bit by bit
- iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits

How's the weapon variety?

It's good but you have to unlock things so right now I have three weapons (two primary and one secondary). I actually just unlocked that second primary weapon and am loving it because it shoots like little pellets that can ricochet against the ground and other obstacles to kill enemies even when you aren't at the right level/angle to hit them directly. Anxious to get other weapons but it's not easy to unlock them.

I want to know from anyone playing what does it take to unlock the Meddle perk (which gives you two more lives). I NEED that desperately!

PittaGAF

If you tap on the locks in the progression bar you will know what they unlock.

You will have to wait a lot :p

Good to hear, consider me excited for it then.

awp69

Good to hear, consider me excited for it then.

I should probably temper those expectations a little just because what I feel is variety may not be the same as what others feel.

I'm only in the first world. But I've seen three different enemy types, but some stay on the ground, others attack from the air, etc. They also have a great sense of personality like running away in panic when they're under attack. The death animations are fantastic.

The levels are also really well designed with lots of tricky falling bridges, spikes, moving platforms, etc., that require timing and use of your parachute and dash abilities often at the same time.

I don't know. That probably doesn't sound as good as it actually is. It's action packed to say the least, intense and just a joy to play. Just lots of things that come together to make it rise above similar games.

Perhaps Pitta can comment more on variety as you get to other worlds.

PittaGAF

As for variety in Lost Socks....believe me, you won't be bored.
I'm not at least, and I just finished a 2 hours session replaying previous levels.

Later on for example there is ice covering jump pads that you may or may not want to use (different paths and some are traps) and gears that if shoot at (or not) change fundamentally the level layout....so you will have to be VERY precise in what to shoot at...bashing the buttons madly is not an option anymore expecially if you aim for a particular task.

I finally unlocked the Serpent gun, dripping with venom that evaporates enemies.

GLORIOUS

It's super hard now....to reach the shadow world you have to break all cages and even get the high score achievement almost anywhere.
The serpent weapon really helps (I just 3 starred a bunch of levels that I thought impossible before) and I finally found where the hell some cages were hidden (yes there are secrets routes later on).

I didn't know this was a dev first effort.
I find it hard to believe.
The game would be at home on a PS4 or a XBOXONE.
And while at first I found the socks idea a bit weird for my tastes I must say the characters have a lot of personality.
Some enemies are pretty memorable too...at least I know I hate some of them with a real passion.
Almost 3 am here playing...I must sleep.

EDIT: I know I'm doing a great disservice to the game being so hyped and writing about it, so I'll probably just be silent now and just play :)
If you are interested and buy it, I really hope you will like it like I do.
As for pure action game, this is my first tentative GOTY already, even if I'm halfway or so.

nampad

I am a big idiot because I bought Assassin's Creed. What a piece of shit this game is.
Here are the cliffnotes after 40% of the game:

-Game crashed twice on me which meant losing the progress made in the mission.
-There were some frame drops on my Iphone 6.
-Controls are quite clunky even with my mFI controller. The camera control is atrocius because it always automatically centers behind yourself. No customization of controls at all.
-Levels are quite small and the mission design is just beyond boring.
-Pacing sucks because you have to do do all the stupid tutorial bullshit.
-No options to set up language etc.
-The FOV is horrible so you won't be able to even look at the small levels in a decent way.

This is so much worse than the Vita Assassin's Creed, which was already mediocre. They should have just ported that game to iOS.
Some of the mobile news outlets scored the game well again. I don't think I can take the reviews of those sites at face value at all, the score inflation is so much worse than on other platforms.

I am a big idiot because I bought Assassin's Creed. What a piece of shit this game is.
Here are the cliffnotes after 40% of the game:

-Game crashed twice on me which meant losing the progress made in the mission.
-There were some frame drops on my Iphone 6.
-Controls are quite clunky even with my mFI controller. The camera control is atrocius because it always automatically centers behind yourself. No customization of controls at all.
-Levels are quite small and the mission design is just beyond boring.
-Pacing sucks because you have to do do all the stupid tutorial bullshit.
-No options to set up language etc.
-The FOV is horrible so you won't be able to even look at the small levels in a decent way.

This is so much worse than the Vita Assassin's Creed, which was already mediocre. They should have just ported that game to iOS.
Some of the mobile news outlets scored the game well again. I don't think I can take the reviews of those sites at face value at all, the score inflation is so much worse than on other platforms.
Yeah, I played two missions back when it was still soft launched, and that was enough. When the simple climbing of AC is somehow made a clunky chore, you know your game is messed up

nampad

Guys, seriously

Are I and KC the only ones who have played Blackbox?

It's free. Check it out. It's one of the most unique puzzlers to release on mobile in a long time

I tried it. The first levels were novel but then I got stuck and wasn't interested in trying random stuff. There should be more hints or some infos about the ground set of rules.

colinp

Banned
I tried it. The first levels were novel but then I got stuck and wasn't interested in trying random stuff. There should be more hints or some infos about the ground set of rules.

Yeah that's kinda how I feel. Definitely unique but my patience for this type of game isn't there anymore I guess.

PittaGAF

March thread is done. Going to be another great month for mobile games. Lost Socks, Able Black, maybe Verreciel...

Don't forget Obsidian Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, first foray by Obsidian in the mobile space, besides a much loved boardgame digital conversion.
If it will sell well (it will be free to download with the first adventure tutorial playable) they are considering a full fledged CRPG like Pilkars of Eternity for mobile set in the Pathfinder world (I hope turn based tough, and possibly with shorter length).
Apparently they have already all signed up with Paizo.

PittaGAF

Guys, seriously

Are I and KC the only ones who have played Blackbox?

It's free. Check it out. It's one of the most unique puzzlers to release on mobile in a long time

I tried it and thought it was very clever and well done.
But as other said without a solid narrative background I lost interest after a while, probably due to the fact that Lost Socks is eating all my free time anyway.
Heck...I have yet to fire up Love you to bits that I've waited years for!!!

awp69

March thread is done. Going to be another great month for mobile games. Lost Socks, Able Black, maybe Verreciel...

Hoping the port of Titan Quest can be added to that list too, although with as much as DotEmu was teasing it I thought it would come out last well so who knows.

Almyn

Has anyone else been playing Super Tribes? I think it's a fantastic little game. It's Civilization lite with a 30 turn limit. Your goal is a high score. It's free to play with 4 tribes available and a fifth as an iap for 79p. It's a lot of fun and each game only lasts about 15 minutes.
I'd love to see the devs add in some more tribes and online play would be nice. There's also no tutorial so the first couple of games are all about figuring out how to do things. If you're a fan of civ though, I would definitely give this a go.

https://youtu.be/AZ-xECIAwJk

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-tribes/id1006393168?mt=8

colinp

Banned
Has anyone else been playing Super Tribes? I think it's a fantastic little game. It's Civilization lite with a 30 turn limit. Your goal is a high score. It's free to play with 4 tribes available and a fifth as an iap for 79p. It's a lot of fun and each game only lasts about 15 minutes.
I'd love to see the devs add in some more tribes and online play would be nice. There's also no tutorial so the first couple of games are all about figuring out how to do things. If you're a fan of civ though, I would definitely give this a go.

Sounds awesome, thanks for the heads up.

killercow

Thanks for the recommendation! The game's quite fun but I'd like to see an endless mode added. I know it sort of goes against the game's philosophy but it's sometimes frustrating that it ends right when you're starting to turn things around.

Almyn

Thanks for the recommendation! The game's quite fun but I'd like to see an endless mode added. I know it sort of goes against the game's philosophy but it's sometimes frustrating that it ends right when you're starting to turn things around.

I agree an endless mode would be a nice addition or at least the option for maybe 50 or 100 turns as the game can end quite quickly. Larger maps would be nice with a bigger turn count also. But then, maybe that would be turning the game into something it was never meant to be.

Completely missed this one. Thanks for the heads up. Sounds right up my alley

PittaGAF

I know many of you are highly anticipating Warbits.
(And rightly so, it's amazing).

Do you want to contribute to make it the best possible product at launch?
Then you can try to join the beta!!!

I'm in the beta already with other Gaffers and the devs made this form just for NeoGAF!!!

Follow this link and wait for intructions, this is your chance!

http://goo.gl/forms/PSs8JXOn2E

Have fun!!

nampad

I'm in the beta already with other Gaffers and the devs made this form just for NeoGAF!!!

Have fun!!

I applied quite some time ago and am still not invited :(

I love Civilization games but what makes them great for me is that I can keep doing one more turn for hours. This sounds exactly like the opposite.

awp69

Have fun!!

Yeah, I applied as well and haven't gotten an invite.

On another note, I finally made it to the ice world in Lost Socks...and it's getting even harder. But a damn good game.

PittaGAF

Yeah, I applied as well and haven't gotten an invite.

On another note, I finally made it to the ice world in Lost Socks...and it's getting even harder. But a damn good game.

I'm at 2-10 before the fire golem, I have already 3 starred everything but some high score achievement (which are the hardest).
But I need to unlock a new weapon to progress, and damn I can't...those scores are super hard...you have to be very creative and spam combos one after the other.
Level design is just superb...today I played like 6 hours straight.

It's damn hard tough...and damn fun.

Pachimari

I got a Warbits beta key around two weeks ago but unfortunately haven't had the time to get around to it. I wonder if I can just give it away here. It's worth a try and if it doesn't work, please don't blame me.

GWX

I applied for Warbits beta as well a long time ago, but no invite email came my way just yet :(

On a happier note, Blackbox has been blowing my mind puzzle by puzzle. You guys have got to try it out, it's quite ingenious.

Voidance

I made it to the second sector in Warbits and it's been superb. I'm really enjoying my time, but I haven't played as much as I wanted. Love You to Bits came out, so I've been playing that, and the wife bought Garden Warfare 2, which is a blast.

It took about 2 weeks (I think) for me to get my beta key after I applied. Reilly seems to send out waves of invites weekly, so hold on to hope.

nampad

I made it to the second sector in Warbits and it's been superb. I'm really enjoying my time, but I haven't played as much as I wanted. Love You to Bits came out, so I've been playing that, and the wife bought Garden Warfare 2, which is a blast.

It took about 2 weeks (I think) for me to get my beta key after I applied. Reilly seems to send out waves of invites weekly, so hold on to hope.

I am still wondering why we haven't got the Garden Warfare iOS port. They had that Metal presentation and then it was never heard of again. Would have been perfect for the platform because kids love that game and mobile seems like their platform of choice.

Top Bottom