• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot

Just tried AG Drive on the Apple TV. I like the control better than what most racing games have been doing. Real Racing does what you expect with tilt. AG Drive essentially makes the touch pad a left stick with flicking up to do turbo.

this is with the Siri remote? My only disappointment is that there's no on-screen controls for MFi controllers.

Game looks great though, and smooth... a world apart from Asphalt and Real Racing.

The praise for Tennis Champs is justified. Downloaded it out of curiosity and now I'm loving it. Great little sport game that's fun to play in bed, and I don't even like tennis.

Ocho

Gaf don't agree. don't get the 'try hard'

"GAF don't agree." Yeah, tell that to all the LoL/Dota 2/TF2 players. Even mobile has a lot of good games for free. Hating on f2p is dumb, man. Don't follow the herd.

Try hard = trying to dish at f2p games on an OT title.

"GAF don't agree." Yeah, tell that to all the LoL/Dota 2/TF2 players. Even mobile has a lot of good games for free. Hating on f2p is dumb, man. Don't follow the herd.

Try hard = trying to dish at f2p games on an OT title.

no digs at the "mobile is crap" crowd got it.

heringer

F2p is pretty crappy in general. The good ones are few and far between.

I can live with micro transactions, but always online can die in a fire.

F2p is pretty crappy in general. The good ones are few and far between.

I can live with micro transactions, but always online can die in a fire.
Idk, every monthly thread has at least one good free to play game. At least one free decent game comes out every week

pdk27

this is with the Siri remote? My only disappointment is that there's no on-screen controls for MFi controllers.

Game looks great though, and smooth... a world apart from Asphalt and Real Racing.
Yeah with the Siri Remote. Only played long enough to go through the tutorial. I'll play it again later with my MFi controller.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
iOS Gaming March 2016 | We view f2p as sort of the software equivalent of cancer.

A more witty spin on that which gets the same idea across would be

iOS Gaming March 2016 | F2P is like a fine, smooth cigarette

or

iOS Gaming March 2016 | F2P is better than nicotine

A more witty spin on that which gets the same idea across would be

iOS Gaming March 2016 | F2P is like a fine, smooth cigarette

or

iOS Gaming March 2016 | F2P is better than nicotine

Following on from Saucycarpdog's FBI related suggestions for a thread title, my facetious suggestion was based on Tim Cook's recent comment "The only way to get information [the FBI needs]... would be to write a piece of software that we view as sort of the software equivalent of cancer." and relating that to how a lot (but not all!) of GAF view mobile gaming as garbage. (mobile may have been a better choice of word than f2p in hindsight)

Obviously, overshot on that one though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
no intention of offending f2p lovers

PittaGAF

I'm really impressed by Lost Socks.
First impression was amazing, but the more I play, the better it gets...multiple paths, weapons, enemies, tasks to complete, powers....it's an audiovisual orgy, always smooth as silk.

I get the same vibes I got playing at arcades back in the days.
The game also doesn't mess around...it gets hard really fast but it's always fair.
Stages length (so far) is perfect and let you memorize the tricky parts to fulfill all the tasks.

Really well done, can't wait to sink some serious hours in this (looks to be pretty long).

heringer

Idk, every monthly thread has at least one good free to play game. At least one free decent game comes out every week

Along with 50 other that are crap.

Though to me, it's very rare to find a f2p game truly worth my while. To each their own, I guess. My dislike for f2p titles is certainly not out of blindness or herd mentality. I just think they almost always (there are indeed a few exceptions) are bad games because monetization gets in the way of good game design.

Along with 50 other that are crap.

Though to me, it's very rare to find a f2p game truly worth my while. To each their own, I guess. My dislike for f2p titles is certainly not out of blindness or herd mentality. I just think they almost always (there are indeed a few exceptions) are bad games because monetization gets in the way of good game design.
That's kind of reductive, no? That ratio isn't reserved to just F2P games. On PC, hundreds of thousands (maybe even millions) of free games, flash games, bad games vastly outnumber the decent-to-great games. Wii's library is rife with shovelware.

Typically we define and highlight a medium by its best. No doubt mobile is flooded with shitty games and free games, but that doesn't affect the quality of the great games that are enjoyed and talked about.

That's kind of reductive, no? That ratio isn't reserved to just F2P games. On PC, hundreds of thousands (maybe even millions) of free games, flash games, bad games vastly outnumber the decent-to-great games. Wii's library is rife with shovelware.

Typically we define and highlight a medium by its best. No doubt mobile is flooded with shitty games and free games, but that doesn't affect the quality of the great games that are enjoyed and talked about.

What has surprised me the most when I moved into the mobile gaming space was how many genuinely high quality F2P games exist, and how good those games are.

So many games are swept under the rug and never noticed, generalizations are a waste of everyone's time. If you play it and it's fun that's all that matters.

Regarding the thread title, I don't see why the thread title needs to take a dig at anyone (even the "rest of GAF" that doesn't like mobile or F2P). Seems childish and it won't have the desired effect.

colinp

Banned
The playground level in Love You to Bits is driving me mad. Any hints?
I got the ball and knocked the bully off the top of the slide. Grabbed the dress and have no idea what to do next.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'll probably just be going with

iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows bit by bit

As a reference to Love You To Bits

iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in Tiny Bits

Tiny Thief and Love You to Bits, let's go deep.

Anyone dipped their toes in the AC: Identity game yet? I'm curious.

Anilones

The playground level in Love You to Bits is driving me mad. Any hints?
I got the ball and knocked the bully off the top of the slide. Grabbed the dress and have no idea what to do next.

I was stuck on that bit too, a hint for you:
Try to catch the bird which is on that screen.

iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in Tiny Bits

Tiny Thief and Love You to Bits, let's go deep.

Anyone dipped their toes in the AC: Identity game yet? I'm curious.
I tried the soft-launch version last month. Looks great, but the controls were kind of unwieldly and the levels are basically mini-sandboxes

heringer

It might be, which is why I didn't leave at that. The main part of my post is the second sentence.

Been soaking my toes with a bit of Love you to Bits and although I am enjoying it I can't help but miss the more narrative forward progression feeling of Tiny Thief. Although I do admit the level based structure of Bits does allow them to really experiment with some outlandish level design.

awp69

I won't be getting AC; Identity. I still have three unfinished console AC games (including one I haven't even started!). Don't have enough time to play all these games so not bothering to add a more compromised experience to my backlog.

I'm really impressed by Lost Socks.
First impression was amazing, but the more I play, the better it gets...multiple paths, weapons, enemies, tasks to complete, powers....it's an audiovisual orgy, always smooth as silk.

I get the same vibes I got playing at arcades back in the days.
The game also doesn't mess around...it gets hard really fast but it's always fair.
Stages length (so far) is perfect and let you memorize the tricky parts to fulfill all the tasks.

Really well done, can't wait to sink some serious hours in this (looks to be pretty long).

This is really great to hear. Right now it's my most anticipated game coming out. Can't wait!

Ocho

Following on from Saucycarpdog's FBI related suggestions for a thread title, my facetious suggestion was based on Tim Cook's recent comment "The only way to get information [the FBI needs]... would be to write a piece of software that we view as sort of the software equivalent of cancer." and relating that to how a lot (but not all!) of GAF view mobile gaming as garbage. (mobile may have been a better choice of word than f2p in hindsight)

Obviously, overshot on that one though ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
no intention of offending f2p lovers

I missed this so I guess I see now what you were trying to do.

21 games in the March OT

And this looks promising, downloading it now
https://itunes.apple.com/app/id962969578
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KErQdQQq5Pg

Edit: okay this game is brillant, It's like real-life The Room and might be the best game since Device 6 to blend the iDevice itself with puzzles

RYwAsdY.gif
NL3yJQ6.gif

jC6Kiab.png

PittaGAF

The first new game (the coop multiplayer open world crime fiction thing) looks amazing too.

EDIT: The whole stream was amazing, so many things!!!! Looking forward everything announced!!!!

Emarv

How's the Warbits beta been for you all who are in it?

Love that we're getting 2 Advance Wars-type games so soon.

PittaGAF

2 hours straight in Lost Socks.

GLORIOUS.

And gloriously hard!!!
Damn it's brutal!!!
But so fun!!!!

I must have died like a trillion times.

A nice bonus....despite the audiovisual orgy, battery usage is negligible.

PittaGAF

Lost socks is, simply, gloriously stellar.

So.
Much.
Fun.

Do not sit on it guys....it could have been a game easily ruined by a free to play monetization scheme.
Instead, it's a top AAA premium experience.

Even the 3 stars thing, the high score achievements and the various tasks are all necessary to unlock further levels and weapons, to replay past levels and achieve before impossible tasks etc....

It's really great.

Lost socks is, simply, gloriously stellar.

So.
Much.
Fun.

Do not sit on it guys....it could have been a game easily ruined by a free to play monetization scheme.
Instead, it's a top AAA premium experience.

Even the 3 stars thing, the high score achievements and the various tasks are all necessary to unlock further levels and weapons, to replay past levels and achieve before impossible tasks etc....

It's really great.

Is it a auto-runner? MFi support?

Was it some kind of event with those 21 announcements? I'm gonna read your summary when I get home. Thanks for it. :)
Oh, no that was just me saying that the next thread will have 21 games in the OT. A lot of good games came out this month

The article is just about Mi-Clos' two new games they're working on

Top Bottom