• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming March 2017 | Switch to iOS

awp69

Game seems entirely built around getting you to play ads for hints. I'm like 3 puzzles in and they wanted me to find the word "majos". Okay...?

No thanks.

That's kind of what I was talking about. Lots of obscure words. I was a journalist and still don't know many of the words being asked for and had to keep moving letters around indiscriminately just to get something.

Pachimari

Oh man, sounds like I missed a great week of iOS gaming.

I just picked up Oxenfree. What else from this week is a must-have?
KINGDOM: NEW LANDS!

This game is one of the best games I've played in a long while on mobile. That atmosphere! That management! That discovery! That base building! That survival! Buy it.

Cosmic Express too.

Piotrek

Is it just me or is Oxenfree a real battery hog? Circa 40 minutes of play on an iPad Air 2 (with headphones and in airplane mode) and I'm down to 80%.
Does the in-game battery saver help, and at what cost? I can't find anything online.

Matt Frost

Is it just me or is Oxenfree a real battery hog? Circa 40 minutes of play on an iPad Air 2 (with headphones and in airplane mode) and I'm down to 80%.
Does the in-game battery saver help, and at what cost? I can't find anything online.

Same on an iPhone 6. I havent tried that battery saver option, will try it since it drinks my battery like i drink a homemade horchata...

Pachimari

Yeah, Oxenfree is eating up the battery on my iPad Pro too. I don't know what the battery saver does, if it turns off effects and stuff?

PittaGAF

Thanks God Oxenfree consumes battery because I would have already completed it and died from sleep deprivation.

I played 4 hours straight last night and my iPad Air went from 100 to 10.

killercow

Finished the first episode of Ticket to Earth in almost one sitting and it was great! I've read that the next episodes are almost ready to go so hopefully we won't have to wait too long.

Also finally finished Space Marshals 2 and what a game.

Onto Kingdom: New Lands now!

PittaGAF

According to the AppStore video of the indie promotion, where you can see all the icons...The Witness is probably last game.
At least it's the only icon I miss (besides Card Thief) and it's similar to The Witness puzzles.

Bottom row, third icon.

C4y36b6.png

killercow

Pachimari

Holy fuck, so when I wake up in 9 hours I'll be having The Witness on my iPad? I guess I got something to do in the cinema while the girls and I "watch" Moana.

killercow

Holy fuck, so when I wake up in 9 hours I'll be having The Witness on my iPad? I guess I got something to do in the cinema while the girls and I "watch" Moana.

Moana's great enjoy ;)

!!!
Didn't think to check the Mac store icon!!!

So it's The Witness.

Would have preferred Darkest Dungeon or Stasis personally, but it's a fitting conclusion with a very famous top game.

Incredible week.

The Witness is incredible. So many puzzles based on one gameplay mechanic that is so well built. It's a marvelous product that shouldn't work at all and yet stands as one of my favorite puzzler of all time.

I thought card thief was Sunday's game?

The creator of Card Thief just tweeted that The Witness is coming Sunday so I guess that means that his game is coming Monday!

Pachimari

Moana's great enjoy ;)
Moana is really good, dont miss it
But it's dubbed in Danish cause the girls don't understand English. But I'll enjoy it either way. I can just watch it in English when it comes out on Bluray. :)

The Witness is incredible. So many puzzles based on one gameplay mechanic that is so well built. It's a marvelous product that shouldn't work at all and yet stands as one of my favorite puzzler of all time.
I own it on Steam and found it very dull. But I fucking suck at puzzles haha.

killercow

Let's start the guesses then. How much do you think The Witness will be on iOS since its $40 on Mac?

I'd say $20.

It's also 3.65gb on Mac.

Pachimari

$14,99 for The Witness. And it'll take up 4gb. I should delete some games and prepare my iPad. I already erased like 20 games and now I gotta delete more lol. 128gb is not enough space.

PittaGAF

Let's start the guesses then. How much do you think The Witness will be on iOS since its $40 on Mac?

I'd say $20.

It's also 3.65gb on Mac.

I would say 10$, maybe for a promo week.

One thing I've noticed the majority of the chosen titles were premium games and almost none with the bottom
tier.
So maybe Apple is really trying to push for premium games and The Witness will do the same with 20$.

awp69

It's possible The Witness could be cheaper on iOS because even Pavilion was $9.99 at launch on Google Play and was $3.99 on iOS (which it dropped to on Android now).

But I'd expect $19.99. That's STILL the price on Android. Just checked.

I have the PS4 version and won't be double dipping. It's a great game but I kind of like the puzzles in games like The Talos Principle more.

It's possible The Witness could be cheaper on iOS because even Pavilion was $9.99 at launch on Google Play and was $3.99 on iOS (which it dropped to on Android now).

But I'd expect $19.99. That's STILL the price on Android. Just checked
I don't consider the price for a game on Shield Tablet comparable to the price for games on regular Android devices.

awp69

I don't consider the price for a game on Shield Tablet comparable to the price for games on regular Android devices.

Right. I do think some of that reflects at "exclusivity" price since games like Pavilion and Riptide Renegade GP dropped in price when it was made available on iOS and the general Android population.

But I could still see The Witness holding its ground because it took a long time for a sale of any kind on the PC and console versions. The devs seem committed to higher prices (justifiably).

Pachimari

Is that confirmed? It's $19.99 on Android (Shield).
No. It's my guess.

Imagine having 16gb instead... like me...
I feel for you.

I gotta say I'm not enjoying Card Crawl much. I mean, I really like the gameplay, but I have no idea how to progress and the interface looks clunky. I see that in Quests, if I do certain things I can open up new roles. And then I understand it that I need to win 20 games in Normal? So just doing the same again and again?

PittaGAF

Same. They really stepped it up in terms of major indie game ports, indie debuts, and games from popular devs

It won't be good for my sanity nor my health but I hope Apple will make this a periodic thing.
Also I really hope all the deve partecipating the event had the (economical) success they deserved.

I was about to say 'it won't be good for my wallet' either...but thinking about it...I spent 20 dollars, let's say 50 assuming The Witness is 20 and I get something else I already wishlisted....for at least 4 personal GOTY candidates and hours and hours and even more hours of pure diverse enjoyment.
The games from this event will last me for a month at the very least.
And they will always be with me, in my pocket or in my bag.

And this is pretty insane.

PittaGAF

I gotta say I'm not enjoying Card Crawl much. I mean, I really like the gameplay, but I have no idea how to progress and the interface looks clunky. I see that in Quest, if I do certain thing I can open up new roles. And then I understand it that I need to win 20 games in Normal? So just doing the same again and again?

I think it's so because you are starting now, with the full content updated game.
At the very beginning, there was just normal mode.
The game initlly didn't click with me either...I found it super easy...meaning...I always or almost always 'won'.....i.e. Completed the dungeon without dying.
Then it clicked and I gave myself (thanks to friends scores) some goals...like making 60 points...then 80...then 100.
Then I was super addicted....and daily dungeons were added, constructed mode and quest mode (be aware quests can be completed in constructed mode).

Stick with normal for a while, hopefully it will click for you too.
It's a very thrilling game when you are pushing your luck for a high score...risking to die trying.

Matt Frost

I m buying these once all are out (a few games from reaching arena 9, trying)

Card Thief
Death Road To Canada
After the End
Mushroom 11
:

The entire Sorcery series is fantastic. Play from the first if you haven't

And if you think Room 2 is good, wait till you play Room 3

It says I can start from the third one. Don't really want to spend the coin on the other two. How essential are they?

I've dabbled with The Room, but never played it to completion. I always liked the aesthetic and tactile nature of the game; I feel that if I am going to invest the time/money in an iOS game, this is exactly the kind of thoughtful design I'd look for.

The sequel was on sale for a cool $1.40, and so I scooped it up thinking "Why not?"

I didn't expect to actually invest in it as much as I have. I'm so taken by the atmosphere and the bits of lore/mythology they feed you, which is just enough to make you feel like you're picking up the threads of an ancient mystery.

Sorcery! 3 looks to be a lot of fun; if I'm looking at it right, it's a "choose your own adventure" style text RPG?? Like, holy shit if that's the case.

Pachimari

Eh, still no The Witness. I would have guessed it would have released two hours ago at the latest. Oh well, here's to being patient.

sheaaaa

You guys are in for a treat with The Witness. Was probably my GOTY last year, and had one amazing "holy shit" moment that I never saw coming.

Top Bottom