• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2016 | When Ember leaves start to fall

Been playing on mobile for four years and I've never been tempted to buy currency packs until Clash Royale. Haven't decided if that's good or bad, still debating whether I should

nampad

Been playing on mobile for four years and I've never been tempted to buy currency packs until Clash Royale. Haven't decided if that's good or bad, still debating whether I should

If you want to buy anything, get the arena special offers. Though the once that offer the best value are out of your range right now.

It's the first F2P game I have spent money on too. I got the last 3 arena special offers for 10 bucks each. I don't think spending money on the game without the special offers is worth it to be honest, especially at your trophy range right now.

Yep, meant Clash Royale :) I went ahead and took the plunge and am back in the saddle again! Just reached Arena 4 :D last time I played, I would fluctuate from 850-950 so much that I kind of gave up on ever reach arena 4. Since I started playing again, I've lost 1 match and absolutely destroyed the dozen or so matches I won. The balancing they've done has really helped make the whole game feel a lot more fair and like anyone can win with any deck.

Also loving the hell out of Bug Butcher, but man is the game is hard! I'm only on level 9, but the difficulty is ramping up quickly. Love it!

It has less to do with balancing but more to do with how many trophies are available at your range right now. Before some recent update patch, people got more trophies than the opponent lost for games below the 1000 trophies mark. Over 1000 trophies, the trophies earned were the same as the trophies that are being lost.

That led to lesser skilled players being clumped in the lower arenas like Pekka's Playhouse (should be arena 4). Overleveled lesser skilled players stomped beginners here.
Supercell raised the trophies mark to 2000 now, which led to more people being able to experience most of the content.

Teggy

Been liking Love You To Bits and read that it shares developers with Tiny Thief. I have Tiny Thief but never played it. It seems to have been removed from the App Store and I can't get it to launch. I see that they pulled something weird a couple of years ago with the pay scheme but can't find anything about why it was pulled. Anyone know what happened and is it unplayable now?

Sarye

Been liking Love You To Bits and read that it shares developers with Tiny Thief. I have Tiny Thief but never played it. It seems to have been removed from the App Store and I can't get it to launch. I see that they pulled something weird a couple of years ago with the pay scheme but can't find anything about why it was pulled. Anyone know what happened and is it unplayable now?
Tiny Thief doesn't work in iOS10 so Apple removed it (and other apps not supported) from the app store. The onus is on the developers to make it work in the OS and rerelease it again.

IIRC, the pay scheme issue you mentioned is unrelated. They released new content behind a paywall which early adopters should have gotten for free because they paid full price for the game with the understanding of new content. The developers changed the payment scheme to pay per level but forgot about the early adopters when they released the new eps. They did fix their mistake quickly.

PittaGAF

To be honest, I'm at 2600 points (going up and down, but now stable in Arena 8), I have 1500 gems and sitting on 30K gold, have almost all the cards and several leveled up up to levels 10-11.

I never spent a cent.
Just enter a clan, exchange anytime you can, plan your upgrades and have fun.

I just don't think they updated the game to work around iOS 8 or 9, don't know why they completely dropped support, but it is a shame.

If you have any Android devices the game still works there. I'd prefer to play it on my iPad rather than my Android phone, but at least it's an option.

Teggy

That's going to be interesting going forward - there have been tons of games going back 15(?) years for what is ostensibly the same platform but games will just stop working as people update their OS. iOS 10 works on the iPhone 5 so that probably wipes out access to a lot of games. And it's not like PCs where the old games are terrible looking because of limitations. There are obviously exceptions, but lots of games on the iOS platform are still designed with low requirements.

Edit: oh yeah, there was no iPhone 2, etc. 9 years.

Matt Frost

Mini Metro could be considered an endless game? Grow as big as you can without dying sort of thing? Extremely tempted...

It's weird seeing people say that an iPad would have the same supposed battery life of the Switch if Zelda or Mario Kart were on it. Like, OK? Good thing those bigger kind of games aren't the only games on mobile; some of the best on the App Store are games that have minimalist graphics or smaller scopes. Those are the kind of games that hardly drain the battery and I can play without thinking about battery life.

Mobile having such a diversity in the scope of games is a strength, not a weakness.

PittaGAF

And after having completed normal mode...now Bug Butcher panic mode grabbed me with its hooks.

Fantastic.

The bubble shield is awesome.

Just completed Bug Butcher on normal.

GLORIOUS.
I've probably lost my right thumb sensibility forever, but GLORIOUS.

ENDLESS MODE, here I come.

Guys on my Gamecenter, step up your game, I need more competition!!! :p
I had some PS Store credit so I'm playing it on PS4. Really enjoying it though! I feel it plays more like Tempest than Pang, and it's a real zone game when you allow yourself to get into it.

PittaGAF

I had some PS Store credit so I'm playing it on PS4. Really enjoying it though! I feel it plays more like Tempest than Pang, and it's a real zone game when you allow yourself to get into it.

Yep it's really great, I'm still enjoying it a ton.

The panic mode is very cool...you earn coins playing and you can upgrade between waves.
Some are straight up upgrades, others are the possibility to find items during the actual game, including the bubble shield (did I mention it's awesome?).

I would kill for a platformer/metroidvania in the same vein, with all those gears.

PittaGAF

FYI Lost Cities has just been upgraded incorporating new iOS 10 Game Center friends feature, and finally I can add friends again.
First game I saw that did this.

So...who is playing Bug Butcher and it's not already a friend of mine? :p

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Clash Royale is the only mobile F2P game I have ever spent money in.

There are 2-3 special offer packs that are really "good value". I've bought those and nothing else.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Hahaha same, except I've been enjoying mobile games since the first iPad came out

Clash Royale must be doing something right, huh? That really is some super-well designed balance for it be so many people's first F2P game they spend money. Interesting

I'll probably just stick to the arena offers when they come up.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Clash Royale is the only mobile F2P game I have ever spent money in.

There are 2-3 special offer packs that are really "good value". I've bought those and nothing else.
Same here, except for Hearthstone. I figure I play so much the developers deserved some $$$. But at a certain point you don't get much return for your money. Starting out it can help you pretty quickly. And the arena deals are pretty good.

Same here, except for Hearthstone. I figure I play so much the developers deserved some $$$. But at a certain point you don't get much return for your money. Starting out it can help you pretty quickly. And the arena deals are pretty good.
Pretty much. Only reason I spent money at first was to get a legendary so I could break into arena 5. Once you get into the higher arenas where everybody has a legendary though buying SMCs no longer carries that much weight.

Jarsonot

New blog has update on iOS Binding of Isaac:

TL;DR It’s coming to iOS VERY SOON!!!The game has been approved by Apple and we’re working on getting all the features we want into the game. Obligatory bulletpoint list: - It’s a universal binary so you buy it once for iPhone, you can download for free on iPad (and eventually Apple TV–eventually, we don’t have timing on the Apple TV version)- iCloud save support for uploading/downloading save data between those devices- Bluetooth controller support

Teggy

Love You To Bits gets increasingly more charming. What a special little game.

And in sad news I am stuck on a puzzle in the Lara Croft GO expansion.

A good look at the controls

HaczgCk.png

A good look at the controls

HaczgCk.png
I thought I saw 2 control schemes in the gif; those controls and another with just one virtual joystick. I'm guessing the latter is the control with autoaim enabled? Either way I'm expecting some good controls since it's coming from such a well regarded dev.

I thought I saw 2 control schemes in the gif; those controls and another with just one virtual joystick. I'm guessing the latter is the control with autoaim enabled? Either way I'm expecting some good controls since it's coming from such a well regarded dev.
Yeah, much like Terry Cavanagh and VVVVVV, I feel they wouldn't port this if they couldn't come up with good responsive controls.

Since BoI is probably coming this week or next:

iOS Gaming November 2016 | Apple unbinds Isaac

Or

iOS Gaming November 2016 | Your productivity wept

FerranMG

I got a Steelseries Stratus controller some time ago, but never tried to use it until yesterday, and it didn't work.
It paired correctly, but then the four light on the middle of the controller kept blinking, and the games didn't respond to controller input.
I read iOS 10 broke support for these controllers, but apparently 10.1 fixes this?
Can anybody confirm if their Steelseries Stratus works on iOS 10.1?

Oynox

I hope TA updates the app at some point. I hate seeing the scaled font in 2016.
I would not get my hopes up. They probably have no resources for that + it is difficult to get those price tracking apps through Apple's certification process.

I got a Steelseries Stratus controller some time ago, but never tried to use it until yesterday, and it didn't work.
It paired correctly, but then the four light on the middle of the controller kept blinking, and the games didn't respond to controller input.
I read iOS 10 broke support for these controllers, but apparently 10.1 fixes this?
Can anybody confirm if their Steelseries Stratus works on iOS 10.1?
Jep, mine stopped working with 10 as well, 10.1 fixed it for me.

FerranMG

Jep, mine stopped working with 10 as well, 10.1 fixed it for me.

Can you let me know what do you do to pair it?
Just turning it on with the swift in the side, pairing it through bluetooth, and starting the game?
I tried Alto's Adventure, and the game just didn't respond to the controller. Plus, the controller lights were blinking red all the time. :/

killercow

Can you let me know what do you do to pair it?
Just turning it on with the swift in the side, pairing it through bluetooth, and starting the game?
I tried Alto's Adventure, and the game just didn't respond to the controller. Plus, the controller lights were blinking red all the time. :/

If the lights are blinking, it often means that you haven't paired the controller correctly. Normally just going through the bluetooth settings is enough if its written "paired" next to the stratus. Look out for software updates to the stratus as well, some controllers do have/need them though I don't know about this particular controller.

You should also try un-pairing/re-pairing it and trying another game that supports MFi controllers just to be sure.

Top Bottom