• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming October 2016 | When Ember leaves start to fall

uM6g9rg.jpg

Each month, the iOS GAF community hosts a thread for new game releases, rumors and discussion that define the fast-moving world of iOS gaming.

The OP will contain recommended games that released during the previous month. All the games listed will have been highlighted by the GAF community in one way or another. This way you can keep tabs on the best games and at the same time curate an excellent resource to look back on to find games you may have missed.

If you're a developer who wishes to have your game featured, please talk about your game in the thread and if the GAF community at large likes the game then your wish just might be granted. Please note that there's a difference between posting about a game you made and just advertising your game with no further interaction with the community, this thread is not for the latter and such advertising behavior is frowned upon.

Directory
1) Introduction & Recommended Games
2) Recommended Games continued
3) Upcoming Releases, Past Threads & Other Links

c9l3j0f.jpg

1EGUC1z.jpg

Site | App Store
A passion project 10 years in the making, Ember is a homage to classic role-playing games. Ember features a deep branching story, endless exploration across dynamic and living environments, a robust skill tree, and an intricate crafting system.
In Ember, players are resurrected as a “Lightbringer” and summoned to protect the dying Embers as the world is on the brink of collapse. Beginning in the Deep Barrows, players traverse vast environments divided between aboveground and underground realms – ranging from lush forests to dry deserts and dark abysses – to reach the City of Light.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Fantastic for its price and though it has some issues it handled many things BETTER than other titles at much higher entry. Of course it also handles a couple of things poorly. But I got far more than 10 out of this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Ezuj0OBoI
Honestly, I find it to be more than satisfactory. Probably the most enjoyable CRPGs I've played in years. And the interface is very well done IMO.

Things like combat mechanics, for example, have been modernized without feeling dumbed down.

Great game!
Great game. It's a very nice entry to the CRPG genre.

uCRg0dI.jpg

Site | App Store
An open-world narrative adventure into a cursed Citadel of monsters, traps and magic. Fight weird creatures, cast powerful spells that shape the story, cheat death, and explore everywhere. Begin your journey here, or conclude your adventure from Part 3.
ss_7b2a284d51105b9aadf63e178f3a50a954e23dc2.jpg
ss_1b81f3187e8cff4d27cc67d82847551957b5e74d.jpg
SVAPhoY.jpg

...4 is just so damn good that I want to talk about it.

...And there seems to be so many cool things you can do. Right at the start of the game, there is one thing that you can do, that leads to really big problems unless you figure out how to solve it, which I luckily did. And just a bit further in, there is another huge thing you can do although I rewinded though because it sounded too dangerous once I realized what I had done. And very close to that there is another thing you can do which I imagine has huge repercussions for the final confrontation.

Seriously people should really play this. It’s fucking amazing. So far it’s the best in the series, even better than 2.

M4u6kLO.jpg

Site | App Store
ENYO is a tactical roguelike about hook & shield combat.
Grab your hook & shield and descent as Enyo, the greek goddess of war, into an ever changing labyrinth to recover 3 legendary artifacts.
ENYO's gameplay is based on the idea of indirect combat. Enemies can only be defeated by pushing or pulling them into burning lava pits or deadly spiked walls.

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Enyo is pretty good. Simulateously less and more complex than Hoplite. There are no gear or perks to unlock and it's less transparently strategic in that perfect way Hoplite was, but between each enemies' unique attack, your four moves, and the level hazards, there's still a lot to think about. It's easy to kill yourself by jumping into a bad spot or walking into a crossfire if you don't consider the state of the floor before each move. There's a nice synergy between abilities too, like being able to grapple your thrown shield

Funnily, at first glance, Hoplite seems to give you more options, but I believe Enyo offers a wider moveset and more enemy types. Just enough strategic choices and variables to consider without feeling overwhelming like Auro.
ENYO IS SUPERB.
The genius score system force you not only to survive but to move carefully and manipulate the 'board' to do kills in a row.
Just brilliant.
Enyo:
Overall a really well don't tactical roguelike with some new mechanics. Having to use the environment to eliminate enemies is surprisingly fresh and I had a fun time just observing the surroundings trying to find the best way of eliminating the more deadly enemies. I do wish there were some upgrades or a type of skill tree to add some variety to the game in the later stages. If you like hoplite you'll most likely have a good time with this.

mG2gxGd.jpg

Site | App Store
In a desolate, ruined world inhabited only by robots, the taciturn android Horatio searches for answers. Where did he come from? Where have all the humans gone? And what, if any, was his role in it?
Torn from his peaceful existence in the crashed airship, the UNIIC, Horatio and his sarcastic floating friend Crispin are forced to travel to Metropolis, City of Glass and Light, to retrieve their stolen power core. What they discover there changes their understanding of the world and their place in it, for better or worse.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

It's my favorite point n click adventure game since Maniac Mansion on the NES....

The dystopian landscape, the depth of these robots' ideology/religion, the fact that they worship man and come across human skeletons that they just think are ancient androids, the fact that B'sod (blue screen of death) is a curse word.... It's like Star Wars: A New Hope meets SOMA
Finally managed to finish the game; loved the environments, characters, story and mythos...well, the overall world. I also got strong Beneath a Steel Sky vibes, which is always very good in my book. Wish I had more locations to visit though.

lspX2hj.jpg

Site | App Store
The epic award winning story-based role-playing game continues its emotional journey across a breaking world.
Lead your Viking clans across hostile country on the brink of collapse. Make bold leadership decisions, manage resources wisely and strike skillfully in battle to survive another day in the harsh wild.
Experience the epic story that took the indie gaming world by storm in Banner Saga 2

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

If possible, Banner Saga 2 is even more glorious.

Graphics, animations and music are just incredible.
- The art design is jaw-droppingly good
- the setting is unique and interesting
- SRPG gameplay and conversation trees are cool
- Music is godlike work by the amazing Wintory.

I'm serious, this is a really impressive product no matter how you slice it. This thread should be filled with posts already.
I'm 4 hours in, but I'm going for training a lot. I'm truly loving the game and I just went through a very climactic moment that had me hooked and my son while I read the options to him to help us decide what step to take next. The training challenges are an excellent addition as they make the player think more strategically and really use the abilities of each hero in an optimal way.

To anyone that played the first game and is on the fence to jump in, this game will surely hook you. Don't hesitate to play it.

PV4GMWN.jpg

Site | App Store
Samorost 3 is an exploration adventure and puzzle game from the award-winning creators of Machinarium and Botanicula.
Samorost 3 follows a curious space gnome who uses the powers of a magic flute to travel across the cosmos in search of its mysterious origins. Visit nine unique and alien worlds teeming with colorful challenges, creatures and surprises to discover, brought to life with beautiful artwork, sound and music.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Finally picked this up and damn, it has to be the most gorgeous game I've played this year so far, and that's counting Oxenfree, Firewatch, and SuperHOT. This is a labor of love, which I think a work in any medium has to be when it's a sequel released 11 years after the last game and has this much care and polish and artistic confidence.
Samorost 3 is so, so good and it feels like it was born for touch.
Oh, this is just lovely. I didn't expect some simple clarinet music to move me so much. Amanita's games are always beautiful and this is no exception - it's the music this time that is impressing me in particular.
This game is so beautiful. Above and beyond Amanita's earlier games even. I love that it even has some inventory management!
Just started playing this today. It's amazing! Total respect for the people at Amanita Design. Top notch art, sound, music, gameplay design, etc.

iIyhcAp.png

Site | App Store
Benjamin has built a spectacular flying machine to take him and his friends around the world.
During one of the first flight sessions something goes wrong. The youngsters have no choice but to parachute themselves to safety.
After an exhausting swim Alex, Paul and Stella end up on a distant island. Barehanded and with no trace of Benjamin.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

More_Badass said:
Vulture Island succeeds in its colorful charming aesthetic and structure that transforms the typical retro platformer into a web of interconnected items and challenges more akin to an adventure game or metroidvania.

If you're seeking a finely tuned platformer that both pays homage to its inspirations and adds its own unique elements into the mix, Vulture Island will suffice.

2KN3nQb.png

Site | App Store
Touch to contract.
Release to let go.
Bring the clumsy mechanical beings home

5.png
2.png
SVAPhoY.jpg

Zip Zap is really fun. It's like Incredipede's younger less complex cousin. Smart varied uses of a one-touch control scheme, a simple colorful aesthetic, and nicely polished all-around

kUq6URM.jpg

Site | App Store
A follow up to the puzzle hit 'MegaCity'! Concrete Jungle is a new take on the city building genre that swaps micro-management for a more strategic and puzzle-orientated style of city planning.
You have a deck of selected cards which you can use to place buildings. Each building will affect it's surroundings in different ways. The aim of the game is to clear city blocks by gathering the required number of points from your residents, giving more room to build. As the city grows, bigger and better new buildings can be added to your deck!

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

Concrete Jungle is really fun. Don't be hesitant of you're expecting some kind of city builder. This is a straight-up puzzler with a SimCity-esque aesthetic. Think Tetris meets a deck-builder. You need to carefully place buildings to meet point requirements and clear columns. Different card types and skills offer different strategies, and you need to think moves ahead to effectively solve campaign challenges

wVAeH80.jpg

Site | App Store
On a world where a giant and lethal storm restlessly moves around the globe, people learned to survive in this cold, harsh and hostile environment. They are searching for the Refuge, a place where the Frost would never go.
Inspired by deckbuilding games like Dominion, Ascension and the like, Frost is solo survival card game that puts you in charge of a group of people looking for the Refuge. Resources, weapons, ideas, dangers and regions are represented by cards, use them wisely!

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

More_Badass said:
Frost takes the well-worn, well-trodden elements of the survival genre - scavenging for supplies, crafting weapons and cooking food, dealing with the horrors lurking in the snow-swept lands - and presents them through a new lens; while you view this frozen world through cards and turns, it's no less of a bleak and tense experience.

Much of that bleak atmosphere comes from Frost's stark sketched artstyle. Through white and tints of blue and splashes of red, the game imparts this sense of overwhelming cold and blood-stained snow. It absolutely sets the tone of the desperate fight for survival that outlines Frost's card game core.

Do you use a survivor and supplies to activate a expedition card to gather wood, or do you trade for needed supplies? Cannibalize one of your group for food? Craft a spear or pickaxe? Do you stay in a region for a few turns, risking more fatigue, or keep traveling onward? While Frost is a card game, it's those decisions that makes each turn feel like the desperate choices of struggling survivors.

9b7G3Mq.jpg

Site | App Store
Burly Men at Sea is a folktale about a trio of large, bearded fishermen who step away from the ordinary to seek adventure.
Set in the waters of early 20th-century Scandinavia, the game's story branches through a series of encounters with creatures from folklore. You play as storyteller and wayfinder, shaping the narrative around three ungainly heroes. Play through once for a single tale, then set sail again to uncover paths to new adventures.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

CUugA5j.jpg

Site | App Store
STEINS;GATE is the second collaborative work between 5pb and Nitroplus with a science-fiction/adventure theme.
An anime adaptation began airing on April 2011, and it is becoming increasingly popular.
The story found in STEINS;GATE is not your usual time traveling fare, but is a "hypothetical science adventure" focused on the structure of time travel itself.

screen480x480.jpeg
screen480x480.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

It's a visual novel like those games. There are no puzzles to solve, however. The gameplay consists of using your phone to send or reply to messages and call people. You can also choose not to reply, or not to answer a call. This is the only way to affect the story.

It may sound simplistic, but imagine being in a very tense moment, and deciding in a very limited time whether or not to answer that decisive phone call, or to press the "Send" button for that significant message. The game will throw those moments at you. It's very interesting.

Steins;Gate is definitely a fantastic game

oKq4S9l.jpg

Site | App Store
Appearing deceptively peaceful to the casual passerby, a mysterious island exists in the far reaches of the Atlantic Ocean. The inhabitants know not how they got there or why they stay; all they’re sure of is that the place in which they are trapped is called Isoland.
You are a researcher who has received a letter from a friend imploring you to help with an investigation on Isoland. You travel to the mysterious island, seeking to unravel its mysteries -- but after you arrive, you realize all too late that you, too, are now trapped. Beware of being lulled into complacency by the beauty of the island: Use your wits to avoid being tricked, and unravel the logic behind complex puzzles. Only then will the secrets of Isoland be revealed.

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

So far it's a good albeit slightly unoriginal point and click adventure game. It's really gorgeous though.

FC6JxgY.jpg

Site | App Store
The doomsday is upon us. The Earth is about to be bombarded by an asteroid supercluster! It’s time to cram all able-bodied persons to rockets and fire them blindly into space in a desperate fight for mankind’s survival!
Become a cosmic demolition man! Master the tricks of space flight, fight strange alien life and plant your nukes in the asteroid cores. Escape to safety and detonate those rocks to stardust!

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

IOn another note, picked up Atomic Super Lander and really enjoying it so far. It's got the elements of Lunar Lander type games as far as maneuvering your ship to land safely on asteroids that are on their way to destroy Earth. Then you must get to the area on the asteroid to start the sequence for the nuke to go off via a Simon style mini game. And finally both get back to your ship and out of range of the last before it goes off.

It's a rogue like in that if you die you lose your progress (although I believe you keep ships you have upgraded). And can be tricky. For instance, if you land too far away from the nuke, you probably won't make it.

It's full of humor and a high score game at its core. I'd recommend it if it sounds up your alley.

Ygb4wGp.png

Site | App Store
Immerse your mind into the minimalist, colorful, and beautiful puzzle space of Huetopia, with tons of exciting boards to play and solve.
screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg
SVAPhoY.jpg

This is a fun little puzzler

vZbdz8O.jpg

Site | App Store
World War III was one cruel tragedy, at least for the others. You seemed to have a quite nice time, hidden in your fancy penthouse at the Skyhill Hotel... Till the impact of a bio-weapon blew away the life you once knew.
Now there are mutants everywhere, and they're eager to rip you to shreds with their vicious claws. But they aren't your only problem: Your supplies are running out. You have to leave your luxurious penthouse and search for food.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

GQLMYpY.png

Site | App Store
An ambient logic-puzzle game where you clear grids of numbers by making nines.
'makenines' requires careful thought and is solved using process of elimination similar to world-renowned puzzle game Sudoku. Think you're good with numbers? Think you're great at solving puzzles? Put your brain-skills to the test!

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg

WippfFX.jpg

Site | App Store
Enter the fractured psyche of Bruce Wayne and discover the powerful and far-reaching consequences of your choices as the Dark Knight.
In this gritty and violent new story from the award-winning creators of The Walking Dead – A Telltale Games Series, you'll make discoveries that will shatter Bruce Wayne's world, and the already fragile stability of a corrupt Gotham City.
Your actions and your choices will determine the fate of the Batman.

screen520x924.jpeg
screen520x924.jpeg

frLpDGL.png

Site | App Store
If you like solving Rubix cube, jigsaw puzzles or sliding puzzles, then Think Shift is for you. Base on the simple mechanic of sliding puzzle, Think Shift will provide endless hours of puzzle solving.
screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg

Xd1InEo.jpg

Site | App Store
Rubek is a minimalist color based puzzle game. Roll a cube to pick up and match correct colors on the floor, as you make your way to reach the end point while figuring out a way to solve the puzzles. Play through 70+ handcrafted levels of mind bending difficulty and collect stars to compete on the global leaderboards.
screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg

xHzn5A0.jpg

Site | App Store
Tap to stretch the walls, as you bounce, spring and fall through this fast paced mind bending action game. By the award winning studio that brought you Silly Sausage and Leap Day.
Trapped in a deadly prison, do you have what it takes to escape? Or would you rather keep dreaming of a higher score?

screen696x696.jpeg
screen696x696.jpeg

wcEfO6V.png

Maximum Car - October 5th
Shadow Bug Rush - October 6th
Adam Wolfe - October 6th
Dan The Man - October 6th
The Bug Butcher - October 20th
Space Food Truck
Flappy Golf 2
Titanfall: Frontline
Moveless Chess

More releases to be added soon

IcBECrt.png

iOS Gaming September 2016 | I don't have unlimited money
iOS Gaming August 2016 | A sever-ly hot summer
iOS Gaming July 2016 | Freedom to necrodance the night away
iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here
iOS Gaming May 2016 | April jests bring Titan Quests
iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold
iOS Gaming March 2016 | Your backlog grows in tiny bits
iOS Gaming February 2016 | Crashlands Bandicoot
iOS Gaming January 2016 | Should old applications be forgot?

Visit the January 2016 thread for links to all 2015 iOS Gaming threads
Visit the January 2014 thread for links to December 2013 through November 2012 threads!

This website keeps track of all the controller enabled games. It gets updated regularly.

RmHPAM6.png

Genuine thanks to our iOS Gaming community for keeping these monthly threads alive!
Special thanks to awp69 for the thread title this month and to Tunesmith for his fantastic thread format

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Great thread as always bro. Loving Banner Saga 2 and Sorcery 4 so far. Also paperback is pretty good too. Great time for iOS!

okno

I just remembered that The 7th Guest is available on iOS! I looooooved this game back in the day (never beat it, because of that god damn microscope puzzle), has anyone played the port? It's only $5 so I might just bite and see how it is, but wanted to see if anyone has tried it.

putermcgee

I ended up playing more of Lifeline, and got a few different endings. After getting what I thought was the good ending (
Taylor sacrifices themself to make sure the enemy is killed, saving humanity
), I checked online to find that one small choice difference near the end led to the "real" ending.

Besides those, my favorite ending came much sooner. I was actually considering stopping there, and being pretty satisfied. It was the ending where
Taylor freezes to death
under the stars. In my heart, that'll be the true ending.

I'm not sure if I'll dig into any of the sequels, but that's mostly due to having too many other games to get through.

Xenoflare

I ended up playing more of Lifeline, and got a few different endings. After getting what I thought was the good ending (
Taylor sacrifices themself to make sure the enemy is killed, saving humanity
), I checked online to find that one small choice difference near the end led to the "real" ending.

Besides those, my favorite ending came much sooner. I was actually considering stopping there, and being pretty satisfied. It was the ending where
Taylor freezes to death
under the stars. In my heart, that'll be the true ending.

I'm not sure if I'll dig into any of the sequels, but that's mostly due to having too many other games to get through.

I thoroughly enjoyed the other sequels but from the previous thread it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. IIRC Lifeline 2 has the weakest response from fans, but I haven't played it yet.

I haven't played 2 and Silent Night though, the dev is already teasing about their next game, once that comes out I'll get 2 and SN with the new release, then I'll have every Lifeline game to date.

I thoroughly enjoyed the other sequels but from the previous thread it wasn't everyone's cup of tea. IIRC Lifeline 2 has the weakest response from fans, but I haven't played it yet.

I haven't played 2 and Silent Night though, the dev is already teasing about their next game, once that comes out I'll get 2 and SN with the new release, then I'll have every Lifeline game to date.
Yeah, both the writing and format were aspects I felt were very weak

No much exciting this month, although it was always going to pale in comparison to how incredible September was. I'm hoping for some surprises

Im sure we will get some good stuff this month. Also finally managed installing Steamworld Heist on my iPad after playing a bit on iPhone. Plays great on iPad. I now have it on 3DS, Vita, iOS, PS4. Superb game. Can't wait for it to release on the App Store to throw money at it.

RM8

I'm so going to buy Vulture Island, but UGH, why must I be so picky with inauthentic visual effects in "retro" games. Those flash-game-like rotating sprites and transparency are pretty hard for me to shallow :[

PittaGAF

Thanks More_Badass.
Awesome as always.

Topping September will be hard.
Honestly I wish nothing will be out till Christmas because I already have a lot of awesome games.
But surprises are always welcomed.

Quick question. Anyone who heavily used an iPad for gaming and non gaming stuff like reading, video, writing manage moving to a Plus to replace phone + iPad?

Oynox

Does anyone know if AppZapp is still supported? I already wrote two mails to the devs and got no answer :/

Oynox

Do you mean does it work? Seems to for me. Use it daily.

I meant officially supported with updates and an active support team taking feedback etc. It works like a charm but I am still missing one killer feature (adding Apps directly from the App Store without opening the App) which I cannot live without anymore though the app I am using is a bit buggy nowadays.

I suggested that feature already twice over the support mail within the app but never received an answer :/

hollomat

Banned
Thanks for the post. Love these topics. Always find out about fantastic games I never would've known about otherwise.

One comment I have is that on mobile with images disabled the titles of each game in the OP don't show up.

Rootbeer

Banned
Thanks for the thread :) I game a ton on my phone these days.

I really can't tear myself away from Final Fantasy Brave Exvius long enough to play much else lately though.

Playing some Transformers:Earth Wars too, but it's not as in-depth as I would like.

Sadly, Star Wars: Uprising is shutting down which has me really bummed, I liked having a SW RPG right on my phone... I was hoping they could continue to develop and expand it for a long time, but guess not... My biggest hope right now is that a similar SW RPG will appear on smart devices soon. At least we'll always have KOTOR, and the iOS port of it is rather good.

Star Wars: Card Trader is another one I pop into daily. But it's barely a "game."

Lastly, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Legends. It's like Star Wars: Galaxy Heroes only with the Turtles. Give it a try. It's a bit harder to get your team leveled and powerful enough to progress very far though. But, for a free game, it's worth trying.

colinp

Banned
Just making that push to page 2 ;)

Been playing a bit of Ire and dipped my toes into Vainglory. Ire seems neat but the buttons on screen kind of push me away.

My brief time playing Vainglory was fun and not too overwhelming, definitely going to play a bit more of that. Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm liking Ire's gameplay but, if I'm being honest, the social and UI elements are giving me a negative reaction to it. The daily login bonuses and the Alphabetical ranked loot is giving me flashbacks to all of those Asian gacha games that I hated.

Granted the monetizing in this game is nowhere near as bad as those gacha games but the impression of those games is rubbing on Ire. I wouldn't mind an IAP to remove those things all together or at least hide them from view.

awp69

I'm liking Ire's gameplay but, if I'm being honest, the social and UI elements are giving me a negative reaction to it. The daily login bonuses and the Alphabetical ranked loot is giving me flashbacks to all of those Asian gacha games that I hated.

Granted the monetizing in this game is nowhere near as bad as those gacha games but the impression of those games is rubbing on Ire. I wouldn't mind an IAP to remove those things all together or at least hide them from view.

Yeah, the daily login thing I don't think was actually as visible in the first version. In fact, a lot of times, you had to dig to get those bonuses.

Would be nice if they hid those more. However, the monitization actually seems even more in the players favor now than it was originally. Make sure to check that left side pull out menu. You can get so much gold/gems from just little in-game achievements and in your in-box that have nothing to do with consecutive day log ins.

Also, it may be because I am further in the game but those glowing things like for mining and stuff give you currency when you click on them too (that's all new I think). They're the only thing with timers on them which is kind of weird because why would you want to spend currency to get currency.

Irregardless, I have way more currency of all types than I can even spend. One thing about this is you cannot really buy your way to success. You can spend currency to reinforce or imbue weapons/armor, but that isn't going to get you far for certain monsters and bosses. Loot and skill is still the only way to succeed IMO. And that's what I like about it. The monitization is there but it's not pay to win other than revives which are limited anyway.

Just my two cents. Really the only in-your-face thing is the login bonuses.

Yeah, the daily login thing I don't think was actually as visible in the first version. In fact, a lot of times, you had to dig to get those bonuses.

Would be nice if they hid those more. However, the monitization actually seems even more in the players favor now than it was originally. Make sure to check that left side pull out menu. You can get so much gold/gems from just little in-game achievements and in your in-box that have nothing to do with consecutive day log ins.

Also, it may be because I am further in the game but those glowing things like for mining and stuff give you currency when you click on them too (that's all new I think). They're the only thing with timers on them which is kind of weird because why would you want to spend currency to get currency.

Irregardless, I have way more currency of all types than I can even spend. One thing about this is you cannot really buy your way to success. You can spend currency to reinforce or imbue weapons/armor, but that isn't going to get you far for certain monsters and bosses. Loot and skill is still the only way to succeed IMO. And that's what I like about it. The monitization is there but it's not pay to win other than revives which are limited anyway.

Just my two cents. Really the only in-your-face thing is the login bonuses.
Yeah, like I said the monetizing in the game is very fair it's just that those social and bonus stuff bothers me. Sounds introverted, but I like to just get right into the gameplay rather than have alerts, messages, and bonuses bother me the whole time. Those things are supposed to be advantageous I know, but when I want to play a mobile game I'd rather just play right there than have to manage those social stuff like I'm playing a mini MMO.
I'm just OCD like that :p

awp69

Yeah, like I said the monetizing in the game is very fair it's just that those social and bonus stuff bothers me. Sounds introverted, but I like to just get right into the gameplay rather than have alerts, messages, and bonuses bother me the whole time. Those things are supposed to be advantageous I know, but when I want to play a mobile game I'd rather just play right there than have to manage those social stuff like I'm playing a mini MMO.
I'm just OCD like that :p

I get it. It's the reason I hate and just won't play most of the social F2P games. Guess it doesn't bother me as much in this one maybe because I know in my head that it's not as money grabbing as those.

One thing that is cool about this too is that the true social aspect of the game is more of the Dark Souls variety -- invading and the like.

SummitAve

Banned
Starting to get the hang of Concrete Jungle. It was a bit overwhelming at first, but my plays are starting to have a purpose after a few levels.

Anyone check out Burly Men At Sea?

Starting to get the hang of Concrete Jungle. It was a bit overwhelming at first, but my plays are starting to have a purpose after a few levels.
Yeah, once I started thinking of the game like Tetris, I felt like I got much better hang of the mechanics

awp69

A little off topic but trust opinions of those in this thread and don't participate much in the Android thread. Anyone play Kingdom: New Lands? Just came out for Sheild devices. Seems to have good reviews on Steam.

We might need to expand the mobile GOTY lists to top 20. There's been so many games I've loved so far this year with more to come that I'm having quite a bit of trouble picking out only 10 games.

Jarsonot

How does Pathfinder sit now? Bugs fixed, IAP stuff sorted out? I'm thinking of giving it a go on my phone.

I've been playing it daily, and still think it's pretty great. I've been playing on a plus-sized phone. Text is small, but readable. I can three-finger-tap the screen to zoom in, but never use it.

You have to be online, basically, because they do a server-side check to verify any in-app purchases. You'll have several eventually and without them you're pretty limited in what you can actually play.

I paid for the daily gold (once a day for thirty days you get 200 gold), but even without that I would've been fine so far. Completing every level on 3 different difficulties gets you gold each time, and you can repeat the hardest difficulty as often as you want for gold.

As for bugs:
It effectively crashes on me fairly often. The game stays running but is unresponsive. It usually happens when I leave and return to it, and is fixable by force-quitting the app and loading back up. It loads fast and has been impeccable about perfectly being where I was, so it's an annoyance but not a deal breaker.

Other than that can't think of any. I really like the game and haven't touched the quest mode yet (randomly generated "just for quick fun" levels in which you can earn gold and cards, I think).

Apparently they've been slow in releasing new adventures, too. So if you burn through them too fast you'll have no further story progress, and will have to either repeat levels for cards and gold, or play quest mode.

But like I said, I've played for awhile now, on my phone, and I really like it.

killercow

Anyone check out Burly Men At Sea?

Yeah, once I started thinking of the game like Tetris, I felt like I got much better hang of the mechanics

Burly Men at Sea is like a nice Pop-up book or a more clever take on your typical children's book. It's visually appealing and features some nice writing. There aren't any puzzles per say so far but you have plenty of choices that lead them in different adventures. It's quite unique.

Came across a new beat em' up this morning:
screen520x924.jpeg

Dino Fighter - arcade fighting game

Looks like it has MFi controller support. Uses assets from older sprite-based games, lol.

That actually looks amazing. Have you played it?
Sorry it took so long to follow up on this. I just bought it on my lunch break today. It's a typical borrowed assets game that is so common on iOS and Android. Feels like an earlier Capcom beat em' up engine is under the hood.

I was using my SteelSeries Nimbus and the game is actually very playable. Combat and movement is fluid and the controls are responsive. Collision detection is good. You have the usual jump, attack, jumping attack, life leeching special, dash, and dash attacks. Combos are possible. There are grabs and throws. Enemies swarm the screen, but dash attacks and jumping attacks are knockdowns making things manageable. Lots of weapons to pick up, ranging from pipes to guns. The game is single player, but you can switch between the two characters on the fly. Life bars are specific to each character; if one dies you switch to the other. Beat the stage and the dead character is revived, both life bars refilled.

I would say it's B-tier early 90s arcade/SNES/Genesis quality. Next to the Double Dragon collection from DotEMU, it's probably the best playing MFi controller compatible beat em' up on the App Store. If you have an MFi controller, it's a solid buy at 99 cents. I'm not sure I could recommend it without a controller though.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Concrete Jungle ramps up the difficulty super quick. For a game that looks simple, it's pretty damn complex.. and pretty damn unforgiving of a bad move.

Of course a lot of it is on me.. as it's interface is kinda shitty honestly, as I often forget to use my points to unlock cards or skills as I'm focusing on my next move too much and you really really need those cards and skills to progress.

Good game, I'm on Android.. but the load times are horrendous.. hopefully they can fix that.. but still quite an original and fun game.

Wew that bullet hell game. Thanks. Also yesterday I was out for most of the day travelling. put in like 3 hours of gaming each on my iPad and Vita. I love portable gaming.

Top Bottom