• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2013: Game Center looks like a bag of Skittles now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clunker

Golfstar is a great iOS golf game, I should return to it.
I second this (and the returning aspect too!). I bought the $3.99 IAP to remove the heart limits until Lv 30 but lost my rhythm with playing it once Xcom came out. GolfStar is really well-done, though I don't know how rampant or unbalanced the IAP is in multiplayer. I found the single-player campaign really great - much better than any Let's Golf (I've tried 2 and 3).

Rlan

This thread made me realize the Game Center icon has changed and now I have to update it in our apps. Damnit.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Another great OP by TS. Kinda sad Kid Tripp lost its spot on the OP already, the game is pure pixel perfect platforming bliss. I'm glad more than a few gaffers gave it a shot (and hopefully liked it) after my brief impressions a couple of weeks ago, but man it needs reiterateing how good of a game it is.
Going for All Coins medals and discovering how every inch and every jump is so meticulously planned by the level design reminds me of Treehouse's NSMBU Super Play videos. The dev has some pure talent for enemy positioning and level design, let me tell you.

Another great OP by TS. Kinda sad Kid Tripp lost its spot on the OP already, the game is pure pixel perfect platforming bliss. I'm glad more than a few gaffers gave it a shot (and hopefully liked it) after my brief impressions a couple of weeks ago, but man it needs reiterateing how good of a game it is.
Going for All Coins medals and discovering how every inch and every jump is so meticulously planned by the level design reminds me of Treehouse's NSMBU Super Play videos. The dev has some pure talent for enemy positioning and level design, let me tell you.

I tried it and didn't like it at all and almost deleted it. I'm glad I didn't though as a second chance let it get its hooks into me. Nice little game.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
This thread made me realize the Game Center icon has changed and now I have to update it in our apps. Damnit.

You're welcome, the bill will be in the post.

Felt dirty having an August 1 title in the September OP. I admit however I lingered on the delete myself. :)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm so addicted to Terraria again. I never accomplish any of the "real" in-game goals, I just do ridiculously dumb stuff. Right now I'm building a large tunnel that will allow to drain the ocean into the underground areas. I also built a sweet lava moat around myself that I keep walking into. Good game.

OMG. THERE'S an idea! Came across the ocean myself for the first time last night and just turned back. I wonder if I could empty it safely into a bottomless pit...?

This fucking game man, so much fun. I felt like a god when I bombed through this mysterious rock and smashed the gem inside it last night. And then the goblins attacked.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

I gave this an hour or so the other night, infuriated the shit out of me, and I usually like masocore platformers. Felt a bit too chunky on the iPad and the jumps were just annoying me too much. Rayman holds the runner crown still.

SmokyDave

OMG. THERE'S an idea! Came across the ocean myself for the first time last night and just turned back. I wonder if I could empty it safely into a bottomless pit...?

This fucking game man, so much fun. I felt like a god when I bombed through this mysterious rock and smashed the gem inside it last night. And then the goblins attacked.
You can. It's my favourite thing to do! You'll want a breathing reed / diving helmet before you can do much though. That, or dig a tunnel directly downwards and make yourself little 'breathing pockets' as you go. The problem with that is that once the water has drained, you'll have a drop that will kill you. It's possible to drain the sea in a zig-zag motion, making pockets of air as you go, but it takes a while. Better to get your underwater breathing gear sorted first.

I played a ton over the weekend. My 3DS and Vita barely got a look in. Terraria all the way. I'm even playing the phone version on my smoke breaks.

SmokyDave

Next goal in Terraria: Make a basement full of chests to horde shit.
Then you can spend ages 'organising' your chests so you know where to find materials / weapons / tools etc..

Remember that after you've emptied a chest in the wider world, you can hit it with a hammer and collect it. Not that they're hard to craft or anything, but I like stealing the gold chests and keeping them for my house.

Shearie

Then you can spend ages 'organising' your chests so you know where to find materials / weapons / tools etc..

Remember that after you've emptied a chest in the wider world, you can hit it with a hammer and collect it. Not that they're hard to craft or anything, but I like stealing the gold chests and keeping them for my house.

I won't go so far as to organize what's inside them. I'm just always missing stuff for things I want to craft so the basement of chests is a necessity for me.

After that, I can't decide whether I want to continue exploring the land or try to get to a floating island. I want to enter the dungeons but I think I'm still too weak for Skeletron.

Also, I wonder if that Dirt Rod Lunette is selling is useful or not...

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
You can. It's my favourite thing to do! You'll want a breathing reed / diving helmet before you can do much though. That, or dig a tunnel directly downwards and make yourself little 'breathing pockets' as you go. The problem with that is that once the water has drained, you'll have a drop that will kill you. It's possible to drain the sea in a zig-zag motion, making pockets of air as you go, but it takes a while. Better to get your underwater breathing gear sorted first.

I played a ton over the weekend. My 3DS and Vita barely got a look in. Terraria all the way. I'm even playing the phone version on my smoke breaks.

Yeah, I'm thinking about tunnelling down to under the deepest point of the sea then tunnelling down down down to the lava. Then all I need to do is use my Gills potion, knock out the last few blocks and drain that motherfucker. Probably a few hours work, no biggie. I like the idea of it because it's just so unreasonable lol. Drain the ocean... love Terraria!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I'm thinking about tunnelling down to under the deepest point of the sea then tunnelling down down down to the lava. Then all I need to do is use my Gills potion, knock out the last few blocks and drain that motherfucker. Probably a few hours work, no biggie. I like the idea of it because it's just so unreasonable lol. Drain the ocean... love Terraria!
I managed to drain about half of it last night, using a similar method. The flow from the draining ocean created a waterfall that I was able to ride down through the underground like an elevator. It was awesome.

pwEwlkc.jpg

It was also pretty interesting seeing stuff like jellyfish underground, haha. Maybe some sharks will show up down there too.

My next stupid goal will probably be building a loft in the highest point of the sky.

heringer

I did and the game is awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I was going to buy Bloodmasque on the sale and it's not available on the Brazilian store. Wut.

heringer

I was going to buy Bloodmasque on the sale and it's not available on the Brazilian store. Wut.

For some reason a lot of recent games aren't available. Deus EX is another exemple. Mature games in general are a no show now on the BR AppStore.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
For some reason a lot of recent games aren't available. Deus EX is another exemple. Mature games in general are a no show now on the BR AppStore.
Sigh. I guess it's because they're rated as 17yo and the BR store would need it to be 18+ because of legislation? I thought the GTAs, Max Payne and a few others weren't available for licensing reasons but that's probably it for those too. In any case this sucks, I wish they'd find a way to work around that.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I gave this an hour or so the other night, infuriated the shit out of me, and I usually like masocore platformers. Felt a bit too chunky on the iPad and the jumps were just annoying me too much. Rayman holds the runner crown still.

I can see how it can be infuriating since the game is all about pulling pixel perfect combo jumps and studying the shit out of level layout and enemies positioning, and pretty hardcore at that, but man you can say anything about it BUT "chunky", IMO. Controls are perfect, no lag at all, holds the crown in that department with Mikey Hooks.
The game also understands perfectly how to make medal runs be as snappy as possible with its seamless auto restarting.
It's the closest thing to Super Meat Boy that iOS has and it matches it's philosophy too.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
First interesting looking September release?

This Is Not A Test: A Post-Apocalyptic Prequel Launch Trailer

Looks like it's some combination of a Comic + Fallout + King of Dragon Pass = ???
I have vague memories of reading about this one some time ago.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/this-is-not-test-post-apocalyptic/id681453732

This Is Not a Test: A Post-Apocalyptic Prequel is an interactive comic book that challenges you to survive the end of the world as we know it. Create your fate by choosing your own path through the simulation -- the choices you make will unlock new paths in your future, that is, if you don't perish in the chemical wasteland. Your selection of skills, the items you scavenge, and the people you bring will unlock possibilities as you race to survive the doomsday event!

*Your Decisions Decide Your Fate:
Your actions will unlock choices in your future. The story is a complex puzzle with many different outcomes.

*Choose Your Skill Set:
Skills you choose will unlock choices in the story, with different outcomes for how well you succeed or miserably you fail!

*Stash Gear For Later:
Scavenge items to help you survive the apocalypse!

*Bring Others With You:
Talk to other characters for more detail, or convince them to join you!

*Do Good or Evil:
Become a pillar of good, or help society crumble! You have the power to decide.

*Participate In The Community:
Contribute to the evolving game. Suggest new choices. Demand more story! Visit robotmonster.ca to participate.

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBOauaFfTa0

Looks great, but cripes, those in-app purchases..
IAP is only for the impatient. Most bikes you unlock through in game actions, you unlock all tracks by just playing through the game. The dev is already working on new levels. new effects, and some more control options

WoolyNinja

Looks great, but cripes, those in-app purchases..

IAP is only for the impatient. Most bikes you unlock through in game actions, you unlock all tracks by just playing through the game. The dev is already working on new levels. new effects, and some more control options

Completely agree - I've just played for maybe 15 minutes and already unlocked a few bikes and level packs. I think this is a case where IAP is simply for the lazy.

Wife and I tried the multilayer. She joined my world and quit. She then loaded into her own world and quit that one to invite me. Back on the title screen and her world and players are just gone.

Really lame :-(

I've had a JJX crash also. I had to delete my original world before I could generate a world without crashing. All previous attempts to continue crashed to the screen.
Luckily I had most of my gear in my inventory but a shame nonetheless.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I found a lake on top of a mountain in Terraria, nearly flooded my whole world by taking 5 levels of blocks off the side to see what happened - I got a lovely waterfall and about a foot of water in the dungeon. Epic. Also have tunnelled all the way under the sea on the far right side of the map and then right down to the lava, am currently trying to decide if unplugging the sea is a good idea or not.

Shearie

I found a lake on top of a mountain in Terraria, nearly flooded my whole world by taking 5 levels of blocks off the side to see what happened - I got a lovely waterfall and about a foot of water in the dungeon. Epic. Also have tunnelled all the way under the sea on the far right side of the map and then right down to the lava, am currently trying to decide if unplugging the sea is a good idea or not.

I've dug under the sea and contemplated draining it but I knew I would just drown and I don't have that many coins saved up so I don't want to lose anymore. I might try throwing some explosives and running away next time I'm there for the hell of it.

hamchan

Started playing DJ MAX Ray again since they just released an update supporting Iphone 5 size screens. Yeah, game is still fun and the song packs are reasonably priced.

SmokyDave

I've dug under the sea and contemplated draining it but I knew I would just drown and I don't have that many coins saved up so I don't want to lose anymore. I might try throwing some explosives and running away next time I'm there for the hell of it.
Leave your coins in a chest at home and go out with empty pockets!

Jedeye Sniv

Banned

Stash your coins in a chest back at the town then you can explore without fear. I'd saved up 50 gold already, went and bought everything from the troll dude in my village. I might need to get on the wiki soon and work out some of the more advanced recipes, I feel like I should be able to build more stuff.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Shearie

Leave your coins in a chest at home and go out with empty pockets!

Stash your coins in a chest back at the town then you can explore without fear. I'd saved up 50 gold already, went and bought everything from the troll dude in my village. I might need to get on the wiki soon and work out some of the more advanced recipes, I feel like I should be able to build more stuff.

Aw man. I wish I knew about that earlier. I can't buy anything good from the NPC's right now :(

Nyx

I didn't realise the Transport Tycoon clone came out already. Is it any good?
Non-universal ugh :(

https://itunes.apple.com/app/transport-general/id631275872?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/app/transport-general-hd/id631277888?mt=8

Impressions?!

(x2 double quote/impression request!)

I haven't played A LOT yet, but so far so good.

It has everything you would want from a TT clone, the only downside is that on the phone it has some control issues and some texts are very small, but so far I've managed. (on an iPhone 5)

Haven't played This is not a Test yet, work first, will play tonight.

igor

I've had a JJX crash also. I had to delete my original world before I could generate a world without crashing. All previous attempts to continue crashed to the screen.
Luckily I had most of my gear in my inventory but a shame nonetheless.

I was told by PixBits on twitter to turn off the "save one slot"(or something like that) option. Game never crashed again. Plus make sure nothing memory heavy is running in the background!

Streetfighter Volt (and the original) is on sale for 0.99c

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/id432849519?mt=8

On an iphone or ipad-mini, they are actually extremely well done for fighting games and highly recommended.

To be honest I felt these 2D demakes of SFIV were utter rubbish. I found SF x Tekken more fun, but really, the only competent 2D fighting game on iOS is King of Fighters. Extremely well ported for touch screen and when it ever gets a controller update we have a proper fighting game on iOS. Haven't tried out Soul Calibur, though I'd love to check it out.

I havent played a game on my phone seriously since ridiculous fishing. Any must get apps?

Junk Jack X
Asphalt 8
Robot Unicorn Attack
Kingdom Rush Frontiers
Layton Brothers
Deus Ex

I was told by PixBits on twitter to turn off the "save one slot"(or something like that) option. Game never crashed again. Plus make sure nothing memory heavy is running in the background!
Aha. I turned this on yesterday. Thanks.

Flunkie

Banned
Want to get Terraria over JJX due to there being more of a point to the game, but want to support good devs. :( controls for Terraria look more of what I'm wanting. I didn't like the original JJ controls too much. Plus the crafting & menus were really confusing.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Want to get Terraria over JJX due to there being more of a point to the game, but want to support good devs. :( controls for Terraria look more of what I'm wanting. I didn't like the original JJ controls too much. Plus the crafting & menus were really confusing.

Terraria is the truth and the light. Initially I was thinking that the bigger blocks in JJX would be better, but now I don't think so. The granularity and control of Terraria is perfect, I wouldn't want bigger blocks now.

Shearie

Terraria is the truth and the light. Initially I was thinking that the bigger blocks in JJX would be better, but now I don't think so. The granularity and control of Terraria is perfect, I wouldn't want bigger blocks now.

That's the thing, I've never had a problem building anything in iOS Terraria so all I see are negatives (less granular control and just not looking as good) to the giant blocks of Junk Jack.

Had fun making my gray brick chest basement today. After my next exploration I wanna do some serious renovations to my home. Something like this but on a smaller scale:

1tYEs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom