• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming September 2013: Game Center looks like a bag of Skittles now

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

1tYEs.jpg

KOcFCGe.gif

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
^ o_O

That's some crazy effort right there. I've just got a bunch of wooden shacks and a workshop. It's all about the digging for me, and upgrading my toys. I saw there's a GPS. I want a GPS dammit.

SmokyDave

Terraria is the truth and the light. Initially I was thinking that the bigger blocks in JJX would be better, but now I don't think so. The granularity and control of Terraria is perfect, I wouldn't want bigger blocks now.
I haven't tried JJX because I thought the first one was lacking and now iOS has 'proper' Terraria. I'll probably give it a go at some point, but I just can't imagine it being anywhere near as good.

I honestly can't believe how quickly I've fallen back into a Terraria hole. I'm almost grateful for the lack of cloud saving because having my iPad world available on my phone would probably consume my every waking moment.

Shearie

^ o_O

That's some crazy effort right there. I've just got a bunch of wooden shacks and a workshop. It's all about the digging for me, and upgrading my toys. I saw there's a GPS. I want a GPS dammit.

I looked up the GPS in the Terraria Wiki and it says that it's a hardmode item only and that's not in the iOS version yet.

Shearie

don't take it from me, I usually end up with a shack half buried in the mud and a mine shaft running to the gates of hades. I don't have the vision to build anything close to that.

Oh I'll definitely build something cool, just not that good. :)

SteveWD40

I played a few hours of both JJX and Terraria last night on the Mini...

I still feel JJx has the better controls, you can rest the ipad on your lap and use one hand essentially, Terraria wants you to grip both sides but then constantly forces you to lift your hand off to select gear or build things.

They did well with what they had, but I think it still needs work.

Nyx

Whenever I see something like that on the PC, all I can think is 'you used TEdit, didn't you?'.

I'd like to be wrong though, perhaps it was all done 'properly'.

Didn't even know there was some kind of editor.

Still looks impressive though, I will never ever be able to build something like that!

I still feel JJx has the better controls, you can rest the ipad on your lap and use one hand essentially, Terraria wants you to grip both sides but then constantly forces you to lift your hand off to select gear or build things.

It works way better on iPhone. But then you lose screen :s

igor

Yeah I didn't buy Terraria because I'd say it controls like an ass on iPhone (JJX on the other hand is perfect) - I really had a dilemma whether or not should I get it because I liked how "Castelvania-ey" the game felt (maybe because of the graphical style).
I wouldn't look at JJX as a Terraria's inferior clone - they have a lot in common but I think ultimately are quite different. I felt that Terraria has more focus on fighting mobs (hence Bosses) while JJX is more about crafting and extra activities like farming. Building is different and so is exploration.

The craft has been optionally simplified since the original JJ which streamlines that a lot - and now is more dependent on finding recipes which I really dig personally (but you can turn it off and experiment) You can still build awesome things, the difference lies in fidelity. I do wish the worlds were bigger, no oceans, no mountains is bit of a shame.
The best of it all is that JJX will be updated A LOT - as far as I know the difference between the JJ 1.0 and the recently updated one is quite huge, so the game will get even bigger with more features. Finally, multiplayer (though beware of griefers! apparently some w*nkers like to build big holes under your spawn point so don't bring too many items with you).

dream

While complaining about my 100% reproducible (and possibly game-breaking) Terraria bug on TouchArcade, I noticed a thread about a clandestine SNES emulator hidden in this "file manager" app: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/remote-file-manager/id570412117?mt=8

I just bought it, but haven't tried it yet. Apparently, you just dump your roms onto Dropbox and open them with this app to play them. Someone said there's iCade support too...

edit: just tried it. Seems to work...

QeBTFCn.jpg

tn0qJjk.jpg

Has anyone played Ninjin?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id632085948?mt=8
It's free, with a 0.99 IAP to unlock the full game, and pretty fun. It's a mix of auto runner and dual stick with ninjas. You run automatically, move with left stick and attack/throw ninja stars with the right. Bosses, levels, endless mode. It's really fun and unfotunately the devs are getting really crappy sales.

Give it a try
screen568x568.jpeg

screen568x568.jpeg

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
^ I'm digging the style, I'll give it a try.

edit: ah cool, it's made by fellow countrymen.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Keep getting harassed and murdered by Eye of Cthulhu in Terraria, can you un-meet his spawn conditions by say unequipping below 10 defense? My character is not ready to face him weapon wise using these touch controls... :D

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
thanks to whoever recommended Fairway Solitaire, wow that game is crazy addictive

We were a few, me included. :) I agree it's incredibly addictive, say what you will about it's semi-upselling IAP nature, as a base game the gameplay formula just works. There's no "how long have you been playing" statistic, but I've played ~18,000 cards total so far at rank 20 (sounds like a lot to me!).

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
While complaining about my 100% reproducible (and possibly game-breaking) Terraria bug on TouchArcade, I noticed a thread about a clandestine SNES emulator hidden in this "file manager" app: https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/remote-file-manager/id570412117?mt=8

I just bought it, but haven't tried it yet. Apparently, you just dump your roms onto Dropbox and open them with this app to play them. Someone said there's iCade support too...
I'm really having a hard time giving an app like this access to my dropbox account :\

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That's the thing, I've never had a problem building anything in iOS Terraria so all I see are negatives (less granular control and just not looking as good) to the giant blocks of Junk Jack.

Had fun making my gray brick chest basement today. After my next exploration I wanna do some serious renovations to my home. Something like this but on a smaller scale:

1tYEs.jpg
holy shit...

Flunkie

Banned
Yeah I immediately want to buy Terraria now. But more for the exploration and RPGey sandboxey stuff. I just know I'd never be that devoted to make something like that, lol.

edit: just tried it. Seems to work...

tn0qJjk.jpg

Looks like SiOS. I've been using that since the weird non-jailbreak loophole in July, and it's a really top notch SNES emulator. I replayed Earthbound using it, and had no issues. On iPhone it seems like RPGs work better than action games, just due to screen real estate, but it's a good one.

There's still a way to get it over the air without a jailbreak, if you set your date back (in the event this app goes away). I know emulator talk is allowed here, but I'd rather not risk going into it. It's not super difficult to find though.

Good SNES emulator though!

dinopoke

Hey guys, I really like survival games like Punch Quest, Ziggurat, TNNS and Slayin where the longer you survive, the more you'll come across new enemies, items and obstacles etc. Are there any other games like that out there? I would prefer if they weren't unlock focused but I'm not too fussed.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Looks like SiOS. I've been using that since the weird non-jailbreak loophole in July, and it's a really top notch SNES emulator. I replayed Earthbound using it, and had no issues. On iPhone it seems like RPGs work better than action games, just due to screen real estate, but it's a good one.

There's still a way to get it over the air without a jailbreak, if you set your date back (in the event this app goes away). I know emulator talk is allowed here, but I'd rather not risk going into it. It's not super difficult to find though.

Good SNES emulator though!

It's not SiOS (it's SNES9X 1.57, siOS is different and based off 1.53) nor a very good emulator on anything lower than iPad 4/iPhone 5 (I guess it should be fine on those iDevices but I haven't tried it yet, so impressions are welcome from fellow gaffers).
Good enough for RPGs (playing Earthbound there at the moment, and it's decent although the jerkiness puts me off when out of battles and kinda pisses me off since the art is sooo beautiful) but inconsistent framerate makes for a disappointing experience even turning off auto frame skipping = 0 on any kind of platformer/shooter/most action games on, for example, iPad Mini.

liezryou

Kinda OT but seeing as my 4s is kind of a big fat paperweight atm and i can't game at all it's kind of on topic xD.

So basically i did a trade where i gave my 4 + 100$ for only a lightly used 4s. As it turns out, the phone is locked (not even sure which carrier, i check with my tmobile and att sims and no go) and has been for the past week. The guy who i traded it with is dodging all attempts at me contacting him so i assume he purposefully scammed me. I know, i shouldn't have gone first, screw me for being trustworthy [It was done over the web/shipment].

Anyway does anyone have any connections whereas they could help me unlock or something? I guess i would be willing to pay if necessary. Sorry if off topic, kinda desperate here.

Rekwest

Kinda OT but seeing as my 4s is kind of a big fat paperweight atm and i can't game at all it's kind of on topic xD.

So basically i did a trade where i gave my 4 + 100$ for only a lightly used 4s. As it turns out, the phone is locked (not even sure which carrier, i check with my tmobile and att sims and no go) and has been for the past week. The guy who i traded it with is dodging all attempts at me contacting him so i assume he purposefully scammed me. I know, i shouldn't have gone first, screw me for being trustworthy [It was done over the web/shipment].

Anyway does anyone have any connections whereas they could help me unlock or something? I guess i would be willing to pay if necessary. Sorry if off topic, kinda desperate here.

Try here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405737

igor

Well if you search on ebay there are unlocking services for barred phones - just ask the premium sellers around, they want your money so they should help you out. I saw offers like that on polish auction websites as well. This, or jailbreak. I am currently unlocking my phone cause I am absolutely sick of my carrier (seriously Vodafone in Ireland is beyond bad) and I hope I will have my phone unlocked no problem. It's like 30 euro but maybe cheaper/pricier depending on the carrier (I'd say try to find out to what carrier the phone is locked to).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom