• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

Some people like those style of games, and some of those style games are exceptional. Tiny Tower is a fantastic game that falls under your criteria. Instead of deleting them, maybe we need better descriptions so that you can tell what to stay away from?

I would argue that Tiny Tower doesn't even qualify as a game. I looked hard and couldn't find any 'gameplay', but that's just me :p

ijzT6iU3JvmV5.PNG

does Marvel vs Capcom run at full speed? same question for metal slug titles.

you know..im surprised microsoft hasnt released a viva piniata for ipad...that would be perfect...

Same reason you don't get Pokemon on iPad?

But yeah, it'd be awesome, I loved the DS version!

For dantehemi who wanted recommendations for older games: Sword & Poker. Puzzle game of the forever.

bkw

Thanks for the heads up on Need for Speed! Going to give that a go. I like it already, seeing as it's 600MB instead of Asphalt 7's 1GB+.

For you Happy Street players, what's the best strategy to use when picking up this new update? Should I blow my Flooz on collector's buildings or building upgrades before I update? I'm out of space, so I'll need to expand with Flooz first, which seems like a waste.

Gonna update so I can transfer my street to the Mac. Then I can drop it off my iPod and maybe start playing Pixel People or something. Only got room and time for one of these games at any given time. =P

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
does Marvel vs Capcom run at full speed? same question for metal slug titles.
I believe MVSC does but Metal Slugs probably only the first is viable. Depends on your device too though. Pretty sure MAME itself can fullspeed all of those, just gotta put it on a powerful enough system.

DodgerSan

Same reason you don't get Pokemon on iPad?

But yeah, it'd be awesome, I loved the DS version!

For dantehemi who wanted recommendations for older games: Sword & Poker. Puzzle game of the forever.

It's not as simple as the Pokemon analogy, as Microsoft has released games on the iPad already (Kinectimals, Wordament) as well as snartglass.

GeekyDad

I would argue that Tiny Tower doesn't even qualify as a game. I looked hard and couldn't find any 'gameplay', but that's just me :p

LOL I like the way you think, and I agree. That being said, it's still a very enjoyable Zen activity for many. It's like a pet rock or something along those lines. In either case, the definition of a "game" can be quite broad. If it brings you enjoyment, then there you go...

Rlan

I just want to put in a good word for Puzzle Retreat [99c] from Voxel Agents, the Aussie guys who did Train Conductor.

mzl.aqmjrabb.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.fvgxnzja.320x480-75.jpg
mzl.pewfvfbj.320x480-75.jpg

Shut off the outside world. Relax, unwind and focus with a new type of puzzle that is both simple to learn and compellingly deep.

Taking inspiration from Sudoku and Sokoban, Puzzle Retreat is a fresh challenge that will have you losing track of time and forgetting about the outside world.

The rules are simple:

• Slide blocks to fill all the holes in the grid
• Use all the blocks

The challenge comes from working out the correct order to slide the blocks and really ramps up with the addition of special blocks including Fire Blocks, Stop Blocks and Arrow Blocks, which alter the direction of sliding blocks.

• Includes 96 puzzles to solve with three additional packs available via In App purchase
• A new puzzle pack will be released each month
• Connect with other puzzle lovers - discuss puzzles and techniques directly in-game
• Stuck on a puzzle – no problem, just move to the next and come back later, or talk it out with other players
• iCloud support – save your progress across all your devices
• Supports iPhone 5 / iPad Mini
• One purchase to install on all your devices

I messed around with Tiny Tower for over a year. I got to the point of having dozens of floors that could not even be filled with stores/residences. I think I had somewhere close to 200 floors.

It is not a game. It is a distraction. It is as much a 'game' as doodling in a notebook is a game. Like doodling, it is awesome. But it is not a game.

Fjordson

Finally finished Kingdom Rush. Awesome game. Don't even usually get into tower defense games, but KR is a lot of fun.

Fox Mulder

It's not as simple as the Pokemon analogy, as Microsoft has released games on the iPad already (Kinectimals, Wordament) as well as snartglass.

They need to dig Hexic out of the xbla attic and release it contains iOS. It's perfect for the platform.

Li Kao

Uh, guys ?
I just reinstalled my os and restored itunes, re-authorized the computer etc, but...
When I go to synchronize my books etc itunes tells me that only one library can be linked to an ipad and that the content previously on the thing will be deleted.

I have no problem with itunes erasing my data because I have backups of it, but what about apps ? When linking to a new library does itunes also delete apps ? Wouldn't like that, because save game hell, icloud support non existent etc...

Edit - After reading a reassuring blog post I bite the bullet and all seems ok. No problem with games with no clue about what is a save system like Puzle & Dragons.

I'm up to 70/150 splices in Pixel People. It's a fun time waster, but they really need to make road building easier. You have to tap through practically 4 screens before you can build one small square of roadway.

I'm up to 70/150 splices in Pixel People. It's a fun time waster, but they really need to make road building easier. You have to tap through practically 4 screens before you can build one small square of roadway.
Once there you can keep tapping squares to extend the road. You confirm once you are happy with what you have.

Pachimari

Hmm, so I restored my iPhone 5 in preparation for the jailbreak but I can't put AppShopper on my device as iTunes says the app was not found, even though it's in my library. =/

Can I get it into my phone another way? Like with I-Funbox or something?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So I just finished MegaMall Story. Despite the dated visuals and general lack of depth and replayability, it was some good addictive fun. Like Sim Tower meets Theme Hospital. I'm craving more Kairosoft so I'm on to Cafe Nippon now.

I'm loving it so far. There's a lot more to do than GameDev and MegaMall and I'm a sucker for restaurant sims like this. Plus after running a massive mall in the last one, the micromanagement focus is a nice change of pace. Good stuff, it's shaping up to be my favorite Kairosoft sim yet.

Also enjoying some Chuzzle. One of the only PopCap puzzle games I haven't played. It's nothing too different as a match 3 game but it has that one of a kind PopCap quality to it.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Once you've started loading a game (or when playing a game), hit the "option" button that appears in the upper right of the screen, then from the pop-up, hit "settings."
You don't have to load a game but yes.

I don't really mind people enjoying freemiums like Tiny Tower, I enjoy Happy Street more than I should, but some are downright awful in their timers/cooldowns.

Tiny Tower was pretty damn slow for me, and the elevator was tedious as shit.

wee I live.

Really surprised at how I can still enjoy Baseball superstars 2013. Something with this and zenonia with Gamevil fucking the balance sooo bad to make you spend cash.

BUT I NEVER DO! :O

Loving Dungelot. Best free game I have got in ages and a real time killer.

Gridlee doesn't really work on an iphone 4. Starting to show its age now with games like super hexagon. Ipad 2 runs it really well.

Shaneus

I can't remember the last time I ventured into this thread, but man am I glad I did for the MAME emulator. I'm jailbroken anyway, but any MAME is good MAME.

Oh, just the iPhone Game of the Year for 2011 - http://www.shacknews.com/article/71478/tiny-tower-is-official-iphone-game-of-the-year

I understand if you don't like it, but that doesn't make it not a game.

What makes it a game? Besides Apple listing it as a game that is. All I'm saying is that with its minuscule amount of actual "gameplay" it's really stretching the definition of what a game is. Either way this is a stupid argument and if you're having fun with it don't let me tell you otherwise.

Cheebo

Banned
What makes it a game? Besides Apple listing it as a game that is. All I'm saying is that with its minuscule amount of actual "gameplay" it's really stretching the definition of what a game is. Either way this is a stupid argument and if you're having fun with it don't let me tell you otherwise.
Well all it says is it was Matt Casamassina's favorite iPhone game of the year since he is the guy at Apple who is in charge of what games to showcase on the App Store.

Flunkie

Banned
wee I live.

Really surprised at how I can still enjoy Baseball superstars 2013. Something with this and zenonia with Gamevil fucking the balance sooo bad to make you spend cash.

BUT I NEVER DO! :O

Yep. Actually BBSS 2013 seems to be a bit better than previous years in terms of presentation and ridiculous IAPs. SO FAR.

What's your Gamevil ID? Want to add you to get rid of a couple quests.

What genre would you list it under then?

Fjordson

What point & clicks do you guys recommend? Already finished Monkey Island 1 and 2. Tempted to get Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered. I loved the original back in the day.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
What point & clicks do you guys recommend? Already finished Monkey Island 1 and 2. Tempted to get Beneath a Steel Sky: Remastered. I loved the original back in the day.

Well, if you bring up Beneath the Steel Sky, just get all the Broken Sword games. They ports are amazing, and so are the original games. Best Point&Click games of the platform.

WoolyNinja

Machinarium is great if you haven't played it before. The Broken Sword stuff is decent as well.

Card Boy

Banned

Tales of Monkey Island
Back to the Future
The Walking Dead
Sam and Max
Wallace & Gromit
Hector: Badge of Carnage
Law & Order: Legacies
Broken Sword
Broken Sword 2
The Last Express
Simon the Sorcerer
Yesterday
Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World
Machinarium
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Flight of the Amazon Queen

Simon the Sorcerer is only like 2bucks.

Fjordson

Oh shit, didn't even know Last Express was on iOS =O thanks guys.

Well, if you bring up Beneath the Steel Sky, just get all the Broken Sword games. They ports are amazing, and so are the original games. Best Point&Click games of the platform.
So are you saying Beneath a Steel Sky isn't worth it? Or just, in addition to that I should get Broken Sword.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Oh shit, didn't even know Last Express was on iOS =O thanks guys.

So are you saying Beneath a Steel Sky isn't worth it? Or just, in addition to that I should get Broken Sword.

In addition! Since it's made by the same developer, and you said you liked Beneath the Steel Sky, so I figured I'd recommend Broken Sword. They're both series made by Revolution Software. ;)

But even apart from that I would've recommended Broken Sword :D

Yep. Actually BBSS 2013 seems to be a bit better than previous years in terms of presentation and ridiculous IAPs. SO FAR.

What's your Gamevil ID? Want to add you to get rid of a couple quests.

network id for baseball superstars: cdig

Gamevil is chickdigger

Fjordson

In addition! Since it's made by the same developer, and you said you liked Beneath the Steel Sky, so I figured I'd recommend Broken Sword. They're both series made by Revolution Software. ;)

But even apart from that I would've recommended Broken Sword :D
Oh man, I didn't even know it was the same dev, haha. Thanks for educating me, I'll pick both up.

Pandemic

I've become really addicted to Pixel People, does anyone's know if its possible to transfer an account from an iPhone to iPad?

Goddamn Baldur's Gate is hard. I honesty don't even know how to read weapon stats for fucks sake. Old PC games didn't give two fucks about hand holding back in the day didn't they?

It's not a question of genre, I'm not sure I'd consider it a game at all. But as I said this is a pointless argument and I'll leave it at that. I'm glad people are enjoying Tiny Tower and similar Apps for whatever reason.

SteveWD40

Goddamn Baldur's Gate is hard. I honesty don't even know how to read weapon stats for fucks sake. Old PC games didn't give two fucks about hand holding back in the day didn't they?

Nope, try King of Dragon pass if you really want to be left in the cold. You almost HAVE to read the manual.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Skinner box.
This got me. I always get sucked into these kind of games but really they're just pointless busywork with no real purpose. they're games in the sense that its something you play around with, I guess, and Pixel People at least has some semblance of customising a cityscape.

I liken it to playing the pokies, lots of sounds and colour and just enought reward to keep you suckered in. At least PP has a total of people to splice, so it might have an end. But there's no real challenge beyond the time commitment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom