• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've been playing Pixel People for about a day now and I'm starting to realize how inefficiently I've been playing and would like to start anew. Anyway to reset my iCloud game save? I tried to delete the app and re-d/l but iCloud keeps a backup.

Raiden Legacy is a great buy. The best shooters on iOS are from CAVE - a bit more expensive, but totally worth it. Play on the hardest difficulties...

Espgaluda II
DoDonPachi Resurrection
DoDonPachi Blissful Death
Bug Princess
Bug Princess 2
Deathsmiles

You didn't mention DDP Maximum, the only shmup from CAVE designed ground up for smartphones so it benefits the most!

soldat7

Ok guys, why are none of you talking about Life Is Magic, which went global this past week. I'm having such a blast with it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cxKYWM7fdKo

lim_slide_2.jpg

lim-022.png.jpg

I heard that it was laced with IAPs.

So I've been playing Pixel People for about a day now and I'm starting to realize how inefficiently I've been playing and would like to start anew. Anyway to reset my iCloud game save? I tried to delete the app and re-d/l but iCloud keeps a backup.

I played it for about an hour based on the OP. Waiting for splicing... Waiting for hearts. Is there a tipping point where it all comes together? I didn't really get it.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I played it for about an hour based on the OP. Waiting for splicing... Waiting for hearts. Is there a tipping point where it all comes together? I didn't really get it.
It's all structured so you get impatient and spend money on Unobtainium or whatever it's called. You're supposed to 'check in' a few times a day, before you realise it's more like real work and stop playing.

Goli

OMG!!
Puyo Puyo Quest is coming to iOS this year. And it's a puzzle RPG, with the puzzle elements being standard Puyo Puyo stuff it seems. This has the potential to be the best puzzle RPG ever released EVER.

OMG!!
Puyo Puyo Quest is coming to iOS this year. And it's a puzzle RPG, with the puzzle elements being standard Puyo Puyo stuff it seems. This has the potential to be the best puzzle RPG ever released EVER.
Dear God. Could a game finally unseat Drop 7 as the best puzzle game ever?!

Shaneus

OMG!!
Oh shit. Is there a rough ETA?

Once I figured out that splicing a new job that required land gave you a new building, and that the buildings would unlock abilities(like the bank that gives 2x to a fully staffed building or the observatory which lets you change the background), I got hooked. Also trying to figure out which to splice to fill the jobs needed to fill my buildings is pretty fun. So far the only u-points I've spent have been on 'decor', which gives you % decreases in the wait time on splicing and building, and trees that give you coins and the occasional u-point. I also enjoy the city planning aspect of the game. I feel like I should mention, I haven't spent any real money on this and don't plan on it. I read a review saying that after a few days it becomes necessary to use real money to acquire more land(in lieu of waiting multiple days coin generating), and if that is the case I'll probably stop playing.

Here's a quick and dirty shot of my town so far.. which was kind of planned as I went along, hence my desire to restart.

You should be able to go into settings -> icloud -> manage data -> something something and delete the icloud data for a specific app.

Alternatively, have you tried delete + re-download, then turn off your wife/cell data before opening the app again. When you're through the tutorial, hit the city hall and your settings to turn off icloud.

joesmokey

Is there a game out there as good/addicting as Solomon's Keep? I loved the random dungeon + progressive skill leveling up. I hate just endless waves of enemies a la Solomon's Boneyard.

You should be able to go into settings -> icloud -> manage data -> something something and delete the icloud data for a specific app.

Alternatively, have you tried delete + re-download, then turn off your wife/cell data before opening the app again. When you're through the tutorial, hit the city hall and your settings to turn off icloud.

Ah it seems so easy now, thanks. Haven't had an Apple product in years so everything is unintuitive to me after using an Android for quite awhile.

If anyone needs help with this I'm an expert.

SteveWD40

Is there a game out there as good/addicting as Solomon's Keep? I loved the random dungeon + progressive skill leveling up. I hate just endless waves of enemies a la Solomon's Boneyard.

Soon there will be Mage Dungeon (working title) from the makers of Mage Gauntlet, Rocketcat. Several classes, random dungeons, they have been posting videos on their facebook of the WIP.

For reference Mage gauntlet has bags of charm and the best control scheme for a top down dungeon crawler on iOS.

What name do you guys use on your folders? There's a few that I don't know how to name because some games are hard tell their genres.

Anyone know of a way to make a custom app list/smart playlist of Apps in iTunes? Trying to filter my 480 apps into ones that support the iPhone 5 screen, but can't figure out a way to do it.

If anyone needs help with this I'm an expert.

hahahaha thanks!

Flunkie

Banned
Sneakypete what did you use to stitch those together? Makes me want to play it again now after originally saying I'm going to delete it. infinite space was a great decision....

Also

Tiny Bang Story (and HD ver) are now free.

http://appshopper.com/games/the-tiny-bang-story

http://appshopper.com/games/the-tiny-bang-story-hd

What name do you guys use on your folders? There's a few that I don't know how to name because some games are hard tell their genres.
I'm at the point now where I'm just like fuck it.. And don't use folders for new games. Once it gets old enough and I don't play it, I just lump it into a generic "Games" folder. I have a few folders that I have had forever like Board Games, Freemium, etc.

Also 2, The Also Strikes Back, Heroes & Castles is glorious. The amount of content is insane.

MrKayle

I am getting pretty tired of non-free games trying to shove in app purchases down your throat.

Give the game away free if you want to do this.

I agree. Imo it should be either the game costs money and has everything included, or it's free and it has in-app-purchase. Costing money up-front and then having IAP makes me feel like I got ripped off.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I agree. Imo it should be either the game costs money and has everything included, or it's free and it has in-app-purchase. Costing money up-front and then having IAP makes me feel like I got ripped off.

To be fair, some games have episodic content where that is a reasonable way of doing it. Eg pay 1.99 for the first 2 chapters, if you like it pay .99 for every following chapter or so. But I know what you mean, not THAT kind of IAP ;)

I dunno, there's a middle ground with DLC-like "level packs for 69p" or something which are fine by me as long as the game comes with a decent amount of content for the initial buy-in.

No paid for game should ever have timers or energy or anything like it, though. I'm looking at you, ATB.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Once I figured out that splicing a new job that required land gave you a new building, and that the buildings would unlock abilities(like the bank that gives 2x to a fully staffed building or the observatory which lets you change the background), I got hooked. Also trying to figure out which to splice to fill the jobs needed to fill my buildings is pretty fun. So far the only u-points I've spent have been on 'decor', which gives you % decreases in the wait time on splicing and building, and trees that give you coins and the occasional u-point. I also enjoy the city planning aspect of the game. I feel like I should mention, I haven't spent any real money on this and don't plan on it. I read a review saying that after a few days it becomes necessary to use real money to acquire more land(in lieu of waiting multiple days coin generating), and if that is the case I'll probably stop playing.

Here's a quick and dirty shot of my town so far.. which was kind of planned as I went along, hence my desire to restart.

You know you can just 'move' everything around at no cost into a more effective structure if you want to right? Tap a square and 'move' it.

Fun-as-fuck game, but I think I spy virtual controls. :(

Seems like it would play fine with just one finger to direct your plane and maybe a button or three for maneuvers/missiles.

That would be game-breakingly easy, since the only way I see finger movement working is unlocking reticle movement speed (After Burner Climax is more about moving the aim reticle and having the plane follow, rather than controlling the plane itself), and having the ability to place the reticle anywhere on the screen with perfect aim would just turn the entire game into a joke.

I could see gyro controls working well if they made missiles and throttle into tap/slide anywhere gestures rather than the hotzones they seem to be in that screenshot.

GeekyDad

That would be game-breakingly easy, since the only way I see finger movement working is unlocking reticle movement speed (After Burner Climax is more about moving the aim reticle and having the plane follow, rather than controlling the plane itself), and having the ability to place the reticle anywhere on the screen with perfect aim would just turn the entire game into a joke.

I could see gyro controls working well if they made missiles and throttle into tap/slide anywhere gestures rather than the hotzones they seem to be in that screenshot.

Can't really follow your train of thought. Last time I played it, I downloaded it on PSN. Granted, that was a couple of years ago, but I don't remember the reticule and plane moving separately. I can't see how one-finger control would make the game "a joke."

Vire

How do you change the background of the star-scape to that? Or is that the iPad version?

Can't really follow your train of thought. Last time I played it, I downloaded it on PSN. Granted, that was a couple of years ago, but I don't remember the reticule and plane moving separately. I can't see how one-finger control would make the game "a joke."

If you make only minor adjustments in aim, it'll only tilt your plane's nose in that direction rather than actually moving it in any appreciable manner.

A large degree of the game's difficulty is that you are limited in how fast you can move the reticle; any control method that involves unlocking the reticle's movement speed would simply destroy game balance, just like the Cave ports.

GeekyDad

If you make only minor adjustments in aim, it'll only tilt your plane's nose in that direction rather than actually moving it in any appreciable manner.

A large degree of the game's difficulty is that you are limited in how fast you can move the reticle; any control method that involves unlocking the reticle's movement speed would simply destroy game balance, just like the Cave ports.

Ah...I get it now. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Starbase Orion just got another big update. Now it has a tutorial!

If you were on the fence about playing a great 4X game now is the time to pick it up.

GeekyDad

Trying out Pixel People right now, and I'm still undecided about it. Kinda feels like everything else they've done, which...well, ultimately always feels like a waste of my time. Dig the music, though.

Starbase Orion just got another big update. Now it has a tutorial!

If you were on the fence about playing a great 4X game now is the time to pick it up.

I like Starbase Orion, but fuuuuck is it a long game. Why does it take forever to do anything? If you played a 4 player async battle, it would no joke, probably take a year if you took 2 turns a day.

Double D

Is anyone using an iPad 1 with the iCade? I just realized I have one sitting around now that I've upgraded, but that would be great to just plop in there and leave it.

Is anyone using an iPad 1 with the iCade? I just realized I have one sitting around now that I've upgraded, but that would be great to just plop in there and leave it.

You'd have to have an owner confirm this but I believe there's no way to attach power to the iPad while plugged into an iCade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom