• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Goddamn Baldur's Gate is hard. I honesty don't even know how to read weapon stats for fucks sake. Old PC games didn't give two fucks about hand holding back in the day didn't they?

It is really hard, yup. But fun. To look at a weapon's stats, click and hold on it in the inventory. Top tip - at the start of the game, equip everyone as archers. You're weak at the start and melee will get you killed easy to begin with.

Manax

I've become really addicted to Pixel People, does anyone's know if its possible to transfer an account from an iPhone to iPad?

It has iCloud saves so it should be automatic if you're signed into your apple account on both devices

I did have to turn my iPad off and on when it failed to load the latest save from my phone, just as a heads up

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
It has iCloud saves so it should be automatic if you're signed into your apple account on both devices

I did have to turn my iPad off and on when it failed to load the latest save from my phone, just as a heads up

Yeah the game sometimes doesn't load the latest from iCloud, but prioritizes your local older save. I think it has something to do with a connection glitch during boot-up.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Honestly can't believe I waited this long to jump on ios, this ipad mini is the best thing I've bought in years, so many decent free games, I just managed to grab NFS for free using the promotion posted in the thread, I also grabbed Mutant Mudds for free yesterday which controls surprisingly well, Edge EX also free today is pretty fun, tbh I was little worried being new to ios that the mini might not be up to scratch but it seems to be running everything just fine and the form factor seems just right for gaming.

Floex

Been playing alot of Phoenix HD and was wondering if there are any shooters that have a bit more meat to them

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Been playing alot of Phoenix HD and was wondering if there are any shooters that have a bit more meat to them
Raiden Legacy. If you have an iCade or similar. The touch controls at anything beyond "arcade touch" settings are cheats as they change the craft speed to make them seem more intuitive with finger dragging at the cost of balance.

mzl.cviouoef.480x480-75.jpg

dock

Putting out another call for portrait oriented, turn based, puzzle/strategy games that I can play on trains with one hand while standing. Ideally it shouldn't cancel iTunes audio, because I listen to podcasts.

Triple town is my favourite, but interface bugs are really annoying.
Dungelot looke promising, but is boring and shitty, utterly mindless and tedious.
Knights of pen & paper I bought but was put off immediately by lots of bugs and shitty jokes.
Zaga 33 is amazing when you find the swipe movement controls, but it cancels out music. :( great game though!

Any recommendations? Lay off the IAP based stuff where possible.

Putting out another call for portrait oriented, turn based, puzzle/strategy games that I can play on trains with one hand while standing. Ideally it shouldn't cancel iTunes audio, because I listen to podcasts.

Dungelot looke promising, but is boring and shitty, utterly mindless and tedious.
Knights of pen & paper I bought but was put off immediately by lots of bugs and shitty jokes.
Zaga 33 is amazing when you find the swipe movement controls, but it cancels out music. :( great game though!

Do you have Drop7? I figure everyone does, but you didn't mention it.

dock

I bought and really hated drop7. I could download it again, I guess.

(edit) no I can't... It switching to zynga killed my previous purchase. Screw that, then.

Zeth

Have you ever played Dungeon Raid? It's a matching-style puzzler with RPG elements, a favorite of mine. One of the first gems I picked up on iOS.

Flunkie

Banned

Chip Chain.

Meantime

Slydris?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/slydris/id509213094?mt=8

Not exactly turn-based, but the blocks only fall after you make a move, so you can play at your own pace. Works fine one-handed, and doesn't shut off background audio.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Once you've started loading a game (or when playing a game), hit the "option" button that appears in the upper right of the screen, then from the pop-up, hit "settings."
That button only appears after you add more rom files to a folder, correct?

This is my other question - is it enough to just add more roms to appropriate folder to get the emulator to not start with a Gridlee but to display the list of games, or do I have to do something more than that?

Alexios

is it enough to just add more roms to appropriate folder to get the emulator to not start with a Gridlee but to display the list of games
Yes.

There's a link to the app's OT in the OP and therein this.
Well, there's a rom folder hidden inside the game and if one copies other MAME ROMs into that folder, the Gridlee app starts up with the standard MAME4iOS ROM listing, allowing for a great many games beyond just Gridlee to be played on the iPhone or iPad in this Universal app.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.

Pixel Defenders Puzzle is fantastic. It's also a game no one seems to know about.

It sounds like it's tower defense, but it's more like Triple Town meets Clash of Heroes-

https://itunes.apple.com/app/pixel-defenders-puzzle/id558503628

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I bought and really hated drop7. I could download it again, I guess.

(edit) no I can't... It switching to zynga killed my previous purchase. Screw that, then.

A Dream of Pixels is a great tetris riff. 180 is a fun colour matching game.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Does Theatrhythm run perfectly on a Mini? And how does the scaling look?

mik

mik is unbeatable
Kinda want Table Top Racing, but the mixed reviews are making me wary. How does it control?

It's not very good. Which sucks, since I really love WipEOut--but this is a really barebones racing game, even for an iOS racer. And the controls are sketchy.

Does Theatrhythm run perfectly on a Mini? And how does the scaling look?

I dunno how it runs, but just to spare you the nightmare that I had. If you have your iPad set to auto-lock after a set time, turn that off before you download any songs otherwise it will lock and break the download but it won't really tell you anything is wrong. I had a real annoying time with it for the first few weeks, but it's grand now.

Weird as hell, I searched for both last night and got no results (names were correct last night when I searched, posted here from memory).

Time to go have some fun!

Edit: Oh - Wife had it searching for iPad Apps for some reason, there they are!

Heel

Try Doptrix. There's a free version.

Pachimari

No it didn't, it went up to $10 from basically nothing the day before just so it could cut its price to $1 to make people think it got a HUGE price drop.

Avoid like the plague.
Yeah, I didn't remember it cost that much before and were confused as to the stock price heh. Good to notify me on it, won't buy.

Mr. Hyde

Is the icade worth it for the gridlee/mame stuff? I am so on the edge of buying one this week. I have an ipad 4 and love mame.

Mr. Hyde

Is Gridlee better or worse MAME than iMAME4All?

From reading a review, I saw this paragraph:

"Some will recall iMAME landing in the app store -- briefly -- back in late 2011. iMAME came with a small bundle of obscure little games, but allowed additional ROMs moved into its app folder to be played through the app...and Apple pulled it a couple of days later. At the heart of Gridlee sits MAME4iOS v1.3 (MAME 0.139u1), which is much more advanced and feature-rich than the version of iMAME4ALL that powered iMAME. The MAME4iOS settings include advanced visual filters to enhance games' renderings, support for MAME cheats, and support for external controllers such as the iCade, among other features."

Alexios

Is the icade worth it for the gridlee/mame stuff? I am so on the edge of buying one this week. I have an ipad 4 and love mame.
If you want to play games like that then yes, it's worth it, if you can get it for a good price (noway for MSRP, but it's cheaper in most places, be wary of shipping costs though). The build quality of the controls is surprisingly good in my opinion. A little loud and stiff but it seems built to last and it works great. I half expected a cheap piece of shit from a product that isn't really aimed to the hardcore crowd. The cabinet could be better but it's fine if you're careful when assembling. I'm really happy with buying it as a gift that I get to use occasionally. Watch the Classic Game Room videos in the OP to be convinced. It worked for me.

Edit: people say the Core version (I didn't get this) only works up to iPad2 so, I dunno about compatibility with devices myself, iPad2s fit perfectly in the full cabinet version. So make sure your iPad fits before getting one. Other than that it's great stuff.

Also, I was more than happy with the purchase even before Gridlee came out, just using it with games like these. Having MAME on it just makes it even more awesome, but of course I do hope more new games will be supporting it too. Although I'll hopefully also jailbreak soon and use blutrol with some games, Crazy Taxi should be a blast like that.

Raiden Legacy. If you have an iCade or similar. The touch controls at anything beyond "arcade touch" settings are cheats as they change the craft speed to make them seem more intuitive with finger dragging at the cost of balance.

mzl.cviouoef.480x480-75.jpg

Raiden Legacy is great. I would have gotten each game for $0.99 so the Legacy bundle is a fantastic deal.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Heads up for those looking for free stuff - our rewards partner Kiip is giving away Wilson footballs in Flick Kick Field Goal Kickoff today. Just play to be in with a chance to win (you'll get a popup with redemption details if you do).

Make sure you update to the latest version if you haven't already if you want to try for a prize.

Edit: US only

jlevel13

Raiden Legacy is a great buy. The best shooters on iOS are from CAVE - a bit more expensive, but totally worth it. Play on the hardest difficulties...

Espgaluda II
DoDonPachi Resurrection
DoDonPachi Blissful Death
Bug Princess
Bug Princess 2
Deathsmiles

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
You know, if a dev went through the trouble of making a Christmas themed update to their app, you'd think they would have updated it by now to remove it. :|

Gah so annoying. It's February for crying out loud!

jlevel13

Top-down racer GAF....Reckless Racing 2 or Mini Motor Racing HD? Curious as to what your preference is.

They are both pretty average, at best. There isn't a huge gap in quality. mini motor is more cartoony with pick ups and a boost button. reckless is a little more dry. i guess i have a slight preference for the tap style controls in reckless, but it's hard to get excited for either game.

undecided

I am getting pretty tired of non-free games trying to shove in app purchases down your throat.

Latest offender is Table Top Racing, with flashing icons everywhere and "vehicle upgrade available (but actually buy more coins!)"

Give the game away free if you want to do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom