• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acheteedo

Having a hard time getting into Phoenix Wright: Justice for All. I fucking loved the first game, but the solutions in the second game, particularly in the second trial, are just so obtuse and specific. It's so annoying when you spot a contradiction but it isn't the one the game wants, and the one the game wants is ridiculous.

Anilones

Having a hard time getting into Phoenix Wright: Justice for All. I fucking loved the first game, but the solutions in the second game, particularly in the second trial, are just so obtuse and specific. It's so annoying when you spot a contradiction but it isn't the one the game wants, and the one the game wants is ridiculous.
The second game is easily the weakest of the three, although the final case may be the best single case in the trilogy. Just persevere through the second and third cases and it's all good.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
ib6eD5aTbZSRp.png

Challenge's Timeframe:

Starts June 28, 06:01 (PM) GMT
Ends: July 5, 23:45 (PM) GMT

Current GMT / World Time

t1373025300z0.png

•
TWITTER: @GAF_iOS_scores #GAFiOSchallenge
We will use Twitter to regularly post news about the challenge, screenshots of the submitted highscores, updates about the current top 25, hints to improve, prizes..Follow us!

•
It's finally that time again!
Following the smashing success of past competitions, after a year-long hiatus it's back...
NEW GAF's iOS WEEKLY CHALLENGE!

It's not at all forbidden to post about the challenge in the iOS Gaming |OT|ike we did in the past, but this specific thread is here with the purpose to avoid the flood of posts sinking all others for a whole week in the TG's thread.
We also have prizes, plenty of awesome goods for you guys to earn!
If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, just CONTACT ME via PM.
Check below for all the infos.

335146322.581975skuj.jpg

Chosen Game

• SUPER HEXAGON [Click to go to the Official Thread for this Challenge]

Specific conditions/game modes

• GAME MODE: Hexagon

c3fhBfz.jpg

FJJlB9q.jpg

"A Masterpiece of Design Purity" - Edge: NINE out of TEN

-Super Hexagon on iTunes
(Universal App, $2.99/€2.79/£2.29
WLca6Yp.jpg

Developed by: Terry Cavanagh (VVVVVV)
Music By: Chipzel
Super Hexagon OST for purchase/listening: http://chipzelmusic.bandcamp.com/album/super-hexagon-ep
Site: http://superhexagon.com/
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sz0mI_6tLQ&feature=player_embedded
Super Hexagon |OT| by Wario64 (thanks!)

Super Hexagon is a twitchy arcade style game where you navigate a triangle clockwise or counter-clockwise around a hexagon while avoiding obstacles. It's much better than it sounds on paper, the soundtrack is killer and the game is the brain child of Indie's darling Terry Canavagh (of VVVVV's fame).

Try out Hexagon for free (Flash required): http://distractionware.com/games/flash/hexagon/
Gameplay video of 'Hexagon' (not the iPhone version): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1celNlGu78

mzl.qmdcvcnb.480x480-75.jpg
mzl.lqldmvro.480x480-75.jpg

-
tVhsdgt.jpg

If you're a DEVELOPER and would like to put up some prizes (no matter how "little"!) related to your game/s (a few AppStore's codes, swag, anything!) for the next challenges, or if you're a fellow Gaffer who wants to just throw something neat the way of our challenges, simply CONTACT ME via PM.
Just check out some of the past GAF Challenges below to get an idea on how it works out.

~

•You see, Gaffers are mostly awesome dudes and member Pray For Death is definitely amongst that kind! PFD decided to support the competition by putting up a $10 US iTunes card for the WINNER of the Challenge!
ar6SWUT.jpg

•Then you have our kind friends at PikPok and Sidhe who've sponsored so many times with cool swag that I don't know how to thank them anymore. They're offering the 3 Steam codes for Shatter:
BEjG5g8CUAAVqpO.jpg:large

...and also something at least as good as the game itself (which is great, btw): 3 codes for the OST. These prizes will be for the #3, #4 and #5 scores.

GLLHcHu.jpg

Support these kind gaffers, check out their games!

You can reach the pikpok gaffers at the Official Website and on Twitter @pikpokgames

•I will contributing to the prize pot myself with surprise Steam codes for beloved Indie games like Limbo, Braid, Capsized+ and so on! The number of prizes will be defined at the end of the contest.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
As usual, that was our one-time post to make you guys aware of the new contest. Might post an update sometimes but that's mostly it. Anyway, this game is AWESOME. I hope you guys join us but I have to warn you... it's very, very addicting. We're talking Breakin Bad levels here, lol!

• you can find everything related to the GAF's iOS Challenges in this thread's first page, posts #3 and #4.

•We're waiting for you to join us at THE OFFICIAL THREAD - GAF'S iOS CHALLENGE 8: SUPER EXAGON!

This is a sneak peak of the

DAY1 TOP10 [partial results, 30 partecipants so far]

mQeVeP2.jpg

Clunker

awwwwww man. was plowing through an ironman game of xcom, probably 15+ hours. had updated my squad so went into mission then hit save and quit so i could pick up right where i left off. come back and the file is corrupted. clicking icloud also does nothing, just totally gone.

guess i'll start a new game on pc and hope it works out better :/
Same thing happened to me earlier. :( with ironman, you specifically can't use iCloud either. Sounds like a pretty serious bug; wonder how widespread it is.

It's easily avoidable by not going Ironman, but that's the best way to play XCom. Hope it gets fixed.

LugNut74

Same thing happened to me earlier. :( with ironman, you specifically can't use iCloud either. Sounds like a pretty serious bug; wonder how widespread it is.

It's easily avoidable by not going Ironman, but that's the best way to play XCom. Hope it gets fixed.

Is there any way to turn off the icloud saves and just use local saves until this bug is fixed? I kinda don't want to get to far now until this is patched. Thanks.

Li Kao

I'd love to play considering I bought the damn thing, but it's unplayable on iOS 7.

Anyone figure out a work around? Or is it simply borked?

I have been on a Ravenous Games rampage lately, completing every games from them that I accumulated in backlog since Beatdown. Even when, more often than not, their production has big flaws or ideas are underdeveloped, there is something that really resonate with me in their work, maybe the arcadey feel.
But if there is one thing I can safely state, it's that Ravenous equals horrendous stability issues. Generally not in-game, thanks god, but I think on my ipad 5 even with all other games closed, if in 99% of their games you return to the menu to fiddle with one thing or the other, you better believe the app will crash in the next 5 seconds. Not sure you can pin it on my end as it spreads over several of their games, and so not the end of the world to crash in this particular instance, but it grows old fast and make this team I love looks unprofessional.

LOE 1-2 - don't remember.
Beatdown - random crash at the end of levels (less often than on my old ipad 1)
Random Heroes / Infestor / Gravity Duck / Random Heroes 2 - return to menu and there will be hell to pay...

Clunker

Is there any way to turn off the icloud saves and just use local saves until this bug is fixed? I kinda don't want to get to far now until this is patched. Thanks.
Well, Ironman is a selection you make when choosing a new game - it's an optional toggle that locks you to only one save file. So if you have an Ironman game already in progress you might just want to not play that file (there are three files for games).

If you're not playing Ironman - that is, you're just playing as normal and you can save up to 5 different save slots - I would say just stagger your save files. I haven't heard of any save bug complaints outside of Ironman mode; I scanned the TA forums on XCom and saw only a few save bug complaints, but all were from Ironman.

And I haven't tried using iCloud saves yet, so everything is local only.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Out There looks to be cool.

http://outtheregame.com/

http://toucharcade.com/2013/06/28/upcoming-space-game-out-there-is-looking-pretty-good/

Space is hot. Well, I guess it's actually cold, but games that have or feature space in them are super hot right now. People want more space games, as they ride highs from FTL: Faster Than Light, Star Command, and some other recent notables. I'm a big fan of space, too, all of a sudden thanks to these delightful games. Anyway, my point: you're into space and you should probably make a mental note for Out There. It's an upcoming space sim that combines choose-your-own-adventure, resource management, and exploration in one package. Also, it's coming to iOS and PC and has this amazing art style.

screen02.jpg

Teaser: http://youtu.be/HZwftR8cl3k

Also, have you guys seen this game that came out this past week?

Bounty Hunter: Black Dawn

Gameplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaddP4SVr0k

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bounty-hunter-black-dawn/id657268954?mt=8

"Inspired by Borderlands" much? Anyone taken the plunge?

mzl.igwdgspc.480x480-75.jpg

mzl.htftatva.480x480-75.jpg

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Over the the iOS BG thread we're doing a tourney with Ascension Immortal Heroes. Likely a World Cup/League format. If you love Ascension and have time to take at least a few turns a day or more, come on over and sign up. :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How is Resident Evil 4 on Ipad Mini (and overall as an ios-game)? Anyone tried it out? The most important aspect is the sound and controls.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Apologies everyone I challenged in Block Block Block, one of those which challenges all your friends instead of selectively.

(It's a quite nice puzzle game though, from Noodlecake)

RustyO

How is Resident Evil 4 on Ipad Mini (and overall as an ios-game)? Anyone tried it out? The most important aspect is the sound and controls.

Don't know; but just looked at a youtube vid and there was a massive lag on the gunshot sound after shooting :/

Rlan

Says it's only for the U.K. Store. Maybe we'll get it tonight in the US?

I believe it's limited to UK, Germany, Romania and a few other European countries. It's a free promotion we're doing with Skittles. They'll be putting Fruit Ninja on all their stuff in those countries too, which is actually pretty rad.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Thanks for the answer about RE4 guys... It's a shame that the ios version sucks ass though :(

Yoshichan

Downloaded Broken Sword 2! Hopefully it's a good port!

Juice

Questions about Kingdom Rush:

1. Should I start with the first game or with Frontiers? Never played either. Looks like Battleheart + Towers, so that sounds fun.

2. Should I play Kingdom Rush on iPhone 5 or iPad Mini? I worry the phone might be too small a touch size.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

1. Should I start with the first game or with Frontiers? Never played either. Looks like Battleheart + Towers, so that sounds fun.

2. Should I play Kingdom Rush on iPhone 5 or iPad Mini? I worry the phone might be too small a touch size.
I played the second before the first, and just getting on the first now, it's essentially the same stuff but might as well start with one. Get it for your mini, the bigger screen definitely he's especially when things get crazy. It's my favourite iOS game so far.

Rimfya

Banned
Thoughts on Kingdom Rush:

1. Damn this game is SHORT.
2. The early game is boring, mid game overly difficult and late game the best damn thing in the whole world oh man it's so much fun. Managing a bunch of towers and money and hero all at once is the BEST!
3. That said, ramping up the difficulty by making the start harder, boring!

Kingdom Rush is fun for about 10% of the time, the last 10% of each level. Plus that fun gets cut short as you always finish a level before making anything out.

If someone took the late-game gameplay of KR and made a game entirely around that? No we're talking.

ElyrionX

Start with the first and go for iPad.

Best TD game ever.

As a fan of league of evil 2, I'm really enjoying LoE 3. Gorgeous graphics, super tight controls, and tough as nails platforming.

Don't want to be "that guy" but as a fan of LOE1, who didn't really enjoy LO2, I played 3 for about 5 minutes and deleted it. I just don't like the style and gameplay changes from the original game. It is probably more I'm a bit burnt out from the developer though.

Does it really change or get better?

Thoughts on Kingdom Rush:
If someone took the late-game gameplay of KR and made a game entirely around that? No we're talking.

My big problem with frontier is the balance. One tower in particular makes the end game more or less trivial so I still prefer the original. I'm hoping they rebalance it or add some harder maps.

igor

But arent't the extra challenges exactly this? 1 heart, 1 super wave and limited use of certain weapons.

All you guys saying how this game is trivial makes me feel retarded haha. I beat the game on easy and it was well a bit too easy (duh) but on normal it was just too difficult for me, but that's also because I was fixated on getting 20/20 hearts I guess, so I know I'd be able to beat it but just about.

Still I absolutely love this game, thanks GAF, I would never touch it otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom