• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snap0212

You have Jetpack Joyride totally wrong. It isn't pay to win at all, in fact, the highest scores I've seen are by people who don't even use any IAP (consumable items).
I've checked the PS Vita version and the iPad one and I can't find the option to see what items these people have used. I'll check the Android one later, though. I've just seen that there are consumable items like a Super Head Start that automatically play the first part of the run for you. It's an advantage that can be bought.

Jurassic Park Builder is a freemium game through and through, that's like complaining an RPG has RPG elements in it. There's a million games like Jurassic Park Builder, and it's just what they do. You're free to not like them, but it's not setting out to be what you want it to be, it is what it is.
I'm not saying it should be something different. I gave an example of why I don't like certain practices. You can get everything in Jurassic Park Builder without ever spending any money at all (aside from timed items you might not have the money for when they're on sale) as well.

If you want to have things now then you'll have to spend money just like in Jetpack Joyride. If you don't have enough coins then you can buy them in the store. You can unlock everything if you're willing to spend money and then there are limited use items that will just be gone.

I've checked the PS Vita version and the iPad one and I can't find the option to see what items these people have used. I'll check the Android one later, though. I've just seen that there are consumable items like a Super Head Start that automatically play the first part of the run for you. It's an advantage that can be bought.

The super-head start is no advantage at all, it just means you can skip the first part of the run - it's the last part of the run where you make your score, though. The "bad" ones in JJ are things like the extra lives, they're the ones that make everything uneven and make it (and every game of its type these days) pointless as a competitive game. They may as well not come with leaderboards.

chris121580

Thread is starting to look like a touch arcade thread. Absolutely nothing wrong with what half brick is doing. You don't want to buy it then don't but if you want to help out a developer who provides a fantastic free game then they're giving you a chance to do so. People will always gripe about IAP but for this situation it is certainly not warranted. Half brick is one of the good guys in my opinion and does IAP the right way.

Having great fun with Icebreaker. Guess I'm a week behind releases, hah.

Opening up the par system was a nice surprise, really slick game.

Yeah!! I've gotten to some real mind benders and, weirdly, the world is so captivatingly interesting the more things they throw at you as far as physics elements.

Such a wonderful game.

Rlan

The designer of Jetpack quietly discussed the Wave Rider timed unlock here:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...campaign=Feed:+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)

In terms of pay to win, the head start really doesn't help a lot outside of skipping a fairly small amount of the start of the game. The only extender is purchasing a heart, which you can only use one per game (unlike other runners) and you can randomly earn them by getting it in the slot machine at the end of a run.

The game's also now got a rotating inventory system which allows for a huge amount of new jetpacks and costumes that will be released throughout the years, yay!

Also, as of this update I'm in charge of designing stuff for Jetpack Joyride in the future. It was 200 days since the last update and this one, and I plan to not make the wait that long next time :)

snap0212

Thread is starting to look like a touch arcade thread. Absolutely nothing wrong with what half brick is doing. You don't want to buy it then don't but if you want to help out a developer who provides a fantastic free game then they're giving you a chance to do so. People will always gripe about IAP but for this situation it is certainly not warranted. Half brick is one of the good guys in my opinion and does IAP the right way.
I should have pointed out the fact that I think Jetpack Joyride's implementation of IAP is the best I know of. I still dislike the practice with a passion for reasons I've stated here. I would try more of these games if I knew there was an option for me to not encounter any IAP. The game is worth money (to me), and I'm willing to spend it. Not on things like these, though. I want an even playing field as well so a separation of leaderboards would be necessary. Separating people who want to spend money from those who don't would help a lot as it would take away the idea of spending a bit to get further.

I'm bad at Joyride anyways; I can't even get the 5,000 meter Trophy on the Vita. ;)

igor

Actually that sounds more like a yorkshire accent to me. Swapping "were" for "was" is pretty common oop north. "By eck that were reet grand like"

Yeah I don't know much Yorkshire accent now, after I started playing again she overused word "summat" a lot which I've never heard in Irish vernacular. I'd say it's all a mixture, Level 5 games have always some really great localisations, Dragon Quest VIII and IX's had some hilariously conveyed accents and slang.

I finished the free content and I really like it - though the idea of guessing the culprit based on the gut feeling is actually quite fun, once you deduct it right the case kinda unravels itself. I have to say though, I felt absolutely badass during the second one when after a brief investigation I went on a perfect streak of deductions. For 5er it seems you get all the cases which is a very reasonable price - and the game feels like a proper console release, high production values and all. Some other Japanese companies should take a look how to do iOS, let's just hope Level 5 has more games for us.

Culchies!!!
Careful now, we're (heh) everywhere. :p

...finishes hang sammidge, has another cup of tea...

Heheh say natin' I'd say I'm bit of culchie myself by now ;)

When I was first playing xcom I noticed it would crash every 30 - 45 mins. This is on my 4s. However after a while I just tried a forced restart (home + top button held down till apple logo appears) and the crashing stopped. So those getting crashes should try this.

snap0212

Even if that were the case, and it isn't
How is it not the case? You can use an item once (or a couple of times) and then it's gone. To use it again you'll need to pay again.

I think you need to find a different word.
I find it morally wrong to charge people repeatedly for changing up a few numbers in the save file (or wherever that happens) when the charge could have been a one time payment as well. There's no additional service being sold, it's just the repeated reproduction of the initial state of the numbers into the state they were when the product was purchased the first time. Especially when there are different tiers available or when games are targeted at children by design. Not sure which word would be more fitting.

I'm afraid of derailing the thread even more, though, so I apologize. :) Maybe the discussion fits another thread better.

Yeah I don't know much Yorkshire accent now, after I started playing again she overused word "summat" a lot which I've never heard in Irish vernacular. I'd say it's all a mixture, Level 5 games have always some really great localisations, Dragon Quest VIII and IX's had some hilariously conveyed accents and slang.

I finished the free content and I really like it - though the idea of guessing the culprit based on the gut feeling is actually quite fun, once you deduct it right the case kinda unravels itself. I have to say though, I felt absolutely badass during the second one when after a brief investigation I went on a perfect streak of deductions. For 5er it seems you get all the cases which is a very reasonable price - and the game feels like a proper console release, high production values and all. Some other Japanese companies should take a look how to do iOS, let's just hope Level 5 has more games for us.

Heheh say natin' I'd say I'm bit of culchie myself by now ;)
It's surprisingly good.

How much room does Layton need to download and install? I'm hurting for space due to XCom. :(

361mb on my phone.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
How is it not the case? You can use an item once (or a couple of times) and then it's gone. To use it again you'll need to pay again.

Why is this unethical?

Are food and beverage companies inherently unethical? Pay per view and movie theatre companies?

I find it morally wrong to charge people repeatedly for changing up a few numbers in the save file (or wherever that happens) when the charge could have been a one time payment as well.

Why is this unethical?

Are subscription based MMOs inherently unethical? Cable companies? Rental car companies?

Anyone else hear playing War of the Zombie? I'm really enjoying it. Although how do I toggle auto fire? My bro distracted me and I missed the tutorial info for that

Anyway, the dev welcomes suggestions and plans to add community ideas into updates.
Here's the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/vdvgames

I suggested a quick guide option in the pause menu (detailing stuff like how to toggle auto fire, how to command squad) and some weapons (Hatchet, Baton, Truncheon, Flamethrower, M60 LMG, Minigun)

colinp

Banned
Why is this unethical?

Are food and beverage companies inherently unethical? Pay per view and movie theatre companies?

Why is this unethical?

Are subscription based MMOs inherently unethical? Cable companies? Rental car companies?

You didn't read that section of The Nicomachean Ethics? I think it was included in the Kindle edition. Just wait till you read Plato's thoughts on the matter, though! Wooh boy!

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Oh man Contra suuuuucks. At least it was cheaper than my coffee this morning.

Your coffee isn't replenished for free though, unethical beverage.

That said, I'd prefer we please move the IAP-mechanic debate to a new thread if it needs to be discussed, this is going off the gaming rails.

snap0212

Why is this unethical?

Are food and beverage companies inherently unethical?
Most of them, yes, but for other reasons. The act of charging me every time I buy is not unethical, in my view. They have to produce the food every single time because there is absolutely no way for them to do it any other way. The costs are created every time the product is produced and there's no way for Coke to give me an unlimited amount for the price of one bottle of Coke.

Pay per view and movie theatre companies?
Same here.

Are subscription based MMOs inherently unethical?
Again: I'm asked to continue to pay because I'm creating costs.

Cable companies?
Same.

Rental car companies?
As well.

In the examples you've given there's no way to make their offerings a one time payment. Every time I consume their product it creates costs for them that need to be covered.

Though I also think this should be moved to another thread...

--------

Is Kingdom Rush worth it after having played Frontiers? I'm through the game on normal and have done a couple of those challenges. I still have about 10€ left from a gift card I got, but I'm not sure if I'll miss anything from the new one if I go back to the first game.

To the War of the Zombie fans:
Here are pictures of the dockyard map/terrain type coming the next update

Full view of the dockyard map for the upcoming WOTZ update. Water will now be a new terrain type added to relevant maps, as will other smaller objects such as moveable/destructible fuel canisters.

998662_487726314641486_1136687866_n.jpg

1016864_487726297974821_150869614_n.jpg

Keio

For a Finer World
First time I hear anything but cost based pricing is unethical! :O

Colin McRae is pretty good. It's mainly a nostalgy trip, but a good one, although I'm not totally sold on the touch controls.

ToxicAdam

--------

Is Kingdom Rush worth it after having played Frontiers? I'm through the game on normal and have done a couple of those challenges. I still have about 10€ left from a gift card I got, but I'm not sure if I'll miss anything from the new one if I go back to the first game.

I don't think so. It takes 3/4 of the game before you get any kind of challenge (especially if you are familar with basic strategies).

snap0212

I don't think so. It takes 3/4 of the game before you get any kind of challenge (especially if you are familar with basic strategies).
Oh, okay. I think I'll take a closer look at Fieldrunners then.

Sucks that Plants vs. Zombies 2 got delayed. Me and my girlfriend were looking forward to playing it. :(

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

Does an "unethical" mobile developer become ethical if you are having to download their IAP from a server, thus having them incur directly related costs?

In any case, a pay per view company has virtually zero incremental cost for you ordering a movie, as does an MMO company. If you consider that they do to the point where they are meaningful, then you are going to be creating comparable ongoing costs for a mobile game developer if you continue to play their game (I can explain this if you don't believe it to be so).

But that isn't the point, and I don't think you've adequately explained where the lack of ethics is, especially seeing as you haven't factored in the costs of developing IAP content (or the game itself) in the first place.

Are you an unethical consumer if you play a free game and never pay anything for it?

Is a mobile developer "unethical" only after they have recouped their dev costs and after that you consider they are profiteering?

kodt

Banned
There is nothing unethical about IAP since they are completely optional.

You can call it bad game design for sure. You can call it a shitty business practice. But it isn't unethical.

tops2

Neo Member

Lol.. I used to participate more on Toucharcade...but over time stopped participating as much. Main turn off is all the arguments over pricing between 2 sides (those who want all games to be free and IAP free...and those who say they buy all games at full price and looks down on anyone who doesn't) and not as much discussion about gameplay compared to what I remembered before.

rcl66

Lame? Disappointed?

What's the issue here exactly?

For me it's more that they made Fruit Ninja and Jetpack Joyride - 2 of the greatest games on iOS (at least as far as time I spent on them). And then nothing for so long (since 2011), and then Fish out of Water.. Which is polished but just didn't live up to the bar they set. That's ok, just kinda disappointing.

I'm all for supporting devs with fair IAP, but $5 to unlock a vehicle a few days early just seems like a strange experiment for IAP and a waste. Make it a few bucks to buy the vehicle or you don't get it, after this much time they have every right to charge for new content. Just feels like they have lost their way to me,

Layton Brothers is pretty much Phoenix Wright, but not as good. Still worth playing.

its quite different, and it runs a lot better than the shitty capcom port lol. I do feel like it requires more thinking mainly because in ace attorney, they almost spell out the solution lol.

it's a perspective thingy I guess. I feel like i solved the case in layton bro, while in PW i feel like Phoenix solved the case.

heringer

its quite different, and it runs a lot better than the shitty capcom port lol. I do feel like it requires more thinking mainly because in ace attorney, they almost spell out the solution lol.

it's a perspective thingy I guess. I feel like i solved the case in layton bro, while in PW i feel like Phoenix solved the case.

It definitely looks and runs a lot better. Phoenix Wright is more exciting though, specially with different songs kicking in depending on the circunstance. Layton Brothers has a more mellow atmosphere.

I still early to say, but so far, given the mechanics, I feel the solutions are going to be a little on the obtuse side. Some cases in PW have obtuse solutions too, but that game does a good job at showing you just enough so you can find the solution yourself with some thinking and attention without too much trial and error. It's a fine balance, one I'm still not sure Layton Brothers will pull it off, but we'll see, I'm still on the second case (I certainly don't feel like I "solved" the first one, I was just along for the ride, even though I deducted most things right).

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Speaking of Phoenix Wright, I'm finally delving into the trilogy. I'm a few episodes into Ace Attorney and it's great, I haven't been this hooked on a game in a long time.

I'm playing it on my 4S, and I never played the DS games, so the complaints about iPad resolution, widescreen support and the changes to the art don't bother me. I haven't noticed any issues with performance. Considering how much I loved Ghost Trick it's kinda crazy I waited so long to play these games.

It definitely looks and runs a lot better. Phoenix Wright is more exciting though, specially with different songs kicking in depending on the circunstance. Layton Brothers has a more mellow atmosphere.

I still early to say, but so far, given the mechanics, I feel the solutions are going to be a little on the obtuse side. Some cases in PW have obtuse solutions too, but that game does a good job at showing you just enough so you can find the solution yourself with some thinking and attention without too much trial and error. It's a fine balance, one I'm still not sure Layton Brothers will pull it off, but we'll see, I'm still on the second case (I certainly don't feel like I "solved" the first one, I was just along for the ride, even though I deducted most things right).

True.

Well trying to progress in investigation parts of AA, especially the later games can get super frustrating without a guide.

I don't think Layton bro criticize you or penalize you if you get something wrong or need a hint. It's so chill lol.

But who knows only beat one case. Maybe I'll be pulling my hair out on higher difficulty cases later.

Anyhow id totally recommend this game.

haven't touched jetpack joyride in ages. I always felt you eventually reach a point where you just make blind leaps of faith because you can only move up and down so fast and the game is moving too fast for my shitty reflexes to do anything about. :S

was fun for the 5+ hrs i played of it though.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
iOS Gaming Thread July 2013: Unethical beverages

Aww yisss

Added Home and War of the Zombie to the OP.

Verdict on Layton? McRae Rally? League of Evil 3? (not sure this one needs any highlighting, seems to be just more of the same?).

Kinyou

Pretty much my feelings. Not that it's bad, just so far it didn't grab me like AA.

Wish there was an Ace Attorney on IOS that had the same quality of presentation.

haven't touched jetpack joyride in ages. I always felt you eventually reach a point where you just make blind leaps of faith because you can only move up and down so fast and the game is moving too fast for my shitty reflexes to do anything about. :S

was fun for the 5+ hrs i played of it though.

5+ hours? Man, I got bored with JJ after 30 minutes.

Karish

Works fine for me on Beta 2. However you need to start a new game on your secondary device, then once you get access to the Load Game menu, refresh the iCloud slot and your game should appear as normal (had to do this on iOS 6 too to get it working FYI).

Wait, so it works on Beta 2 but you had to switch back to iOS 6 first before it would work?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Wait, so it works on Beta 2 but you had to switch back to iOS 6 first before it would work?
No, had to do a new game on my secondary device, iPad, and refresh the Load Game screen in-game for the cloud save I made on my iPhone to pop up in the iPad even on iOS 6 so I don't think the issues are iOS 7beta related.

Karish

No, had to do a new game on my secondary device, iPad, and refresh the Load Game screen in-game for the cloud save I made on my iPhone to pop up in the iPad even on iOS 6 so I don't think the issues are iOS 7beta related.

Hot damn, it worked! Thanks! Do I need to manually save to iCloud now every time?

Li Kao

League of Evil 3? (not sure this one needs any highlighting, seems to be just more of the same?).

Hmm, I can see your point and the possibility that Ravenous is playing it too safe is clearly there.
Still, it's just a third iteration and Ravenous often makes quality work (imho evidently), so the only deciding factor about including it or not in the spotlight should be if it is good or not, imho again eh.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Jetpack Joyride has ads now, despite having the premium version of the game when it was a paid app long ago

Vire

Jetpack Joyride has ads now, despite having the premium version of the game when it was a paid app long ago

Halfbrick... Why you do this to me?

:(

Awful news. My favorite game on iOS, (that I paid for mind you) now has unwanted ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom