• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played a few hours of X-Com last night. I've already played through it once on my PS3, so I'm sort of used to a janky version. The iPad interface is a little weird but once you get into the rhythm it's the same old game.

I'm really, really annoyed they cut the ability to change armor color. A lot of reviews I've read have mentioned this--have the developers said they're going to patch this in eventually? It's really hard to tell my units apart, and it's kind of ridiculous having to name everybody stuff like "Johnny McSnipey"

bonesquad

Took the dive on Badlands now and it's pretty phenomenal and looks amazing on my mini. I feel kind of bad waiting for the price to go down, it's a beautiful game.

Badlands is fantastic I was hesitant at first, but it's now my favorite auto-runner on iOS. Better than Joe Danger, Polara, and yes, even Rayman. (Experiences may vary:)

Didn't see it mentioned, but Funky Smugglers is now free. It's actually a pretty cool "one trick pony" type of game. Highly polished, but be warned it uses a few lame goals like "beat your high score".

Also for free right now, if you enjoy the hacking mini-games in titles such as Deus Ex be sure to check out PWN: Combat Hacking. I haven't had the chance yet to really try the updated campaign, but I had fun with the game even before the update.

kottila

Boo - I am loving XCom on my iPhone 4S (cramped at times but perfectly playable), but I ran into a save corruption on my ironman run that destroyed my entire progress in the file. :( I'm restarting and playing non-ironman so I can make backup files on my own. Not sure if it's just my phone or a bug, so Ironmen beware.

In terms of comparison between console XCom and the iOS version (I played 50+ hours on 360), the graphical details are obviously lower (textures way lower-res) and there are no killcams or "enemy spotted" mini-cutscenes, but otherwise it's a very well done port IMO. Framerate chugs in spots but I am honestly surprised it runs on my 4S at all. not having the color customization is my bigger gripe.

Is there any rewards for ironman runs? I've turned it off, but I'm still playing like it's an ironman run (although with icloud saving in case I want to change devices)

edit: just found out how important satelites are, I've played till July 2015 with only two of them

Played a few hours of X-Com last night. I've already played through it once on my PS3, so I'm sort of used to a janky version. The iPad interface is a little weird but once you get into the rhythm it's the same old game.

I'm really, really annoyed they cut the ability to change armor color. A lot of reviews I've read have mentioned this--have the developers said they're going to patch this in eventually? It's really hard to tell my units apart, and it's kind of ridiculous having to name everybody stuff like "Johnny McSnipey"

Does it support background music well? I'd love to listen to podcasts while I play.

Ryuukan

Layton Brothers Mystery Room in english tonight

mzl.gavgngvu.320x480-75.jpg

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
The iPad 3 is the gimpy stepchild of the iPad line, I would be very surprised if XCOM ran better on the 3 than the 2. Most games seem to run better on the 2. Would be happy to be proven wrong though. I'm getting the game on Friday when I get paid for my 2.

In preparation for XCOM I've just finished up Warhammer Quest so I can clear out some space. Game was good fun but it got a bit too grindy towards the end, and the black dungeon at the end was just silly. DOZENS of super powerful orcs in the same damn room, it took me well over an hour to complete it. I know there's DLC but...I think I've had enough.

It's true, and it hurts :(

Clunker

Does it support background music well? I'd love to listen to podcasts while I play.
Nope. :( Just checked it this morning with a podcast, and XCom doesn't support background music. This is a dealbreaker for a lot of folks.

Put more time into it (I'm on vacation right now, a perfect chance to flex the iOS muscle). It completely drains the battery on my 4S - I went from 75% to sub-10% in maybe an hour and a half of play - but it's still a good port. Anytime enemies use suppression, though, it drops to crazy single-digit framerates. I'm getting very used to the controls, though; the zoom level feels either too tight or too far away at first, but I'm getting used to the POV.

If you don't have any other way to play this, though, it's so worth the $20 that it's not even funny. Outside of that random Ironman save corruption I had and the customization options missing (or, to be more specific, the lack of the customization DLC), I'd consider this an equal port to the console versions. The worst performing, yes, but also the most portable.

Now I just wish we had more of a direct Fire Emblem or Advance Wars analogue on iOS. Is there anything new in the TBS front? Something about Mecho Wars just didn't catch my interest.

bonesquad

Now I just wish we had more of a direct Fire Emblem or Advance Wars analogue on iOS. Is there anything new in the TBS front? Something about Mecho Wars just didn't catch my interest.

It's not new, but Great Big War Game is a way better AV than Mecho Wars (though still no AV).

So just found this thread. IOS gaming is my new addiction.

Anway, my most anticipated game this week is War of the Zombie. It's like a mix of Plague Inc's global scale and map interface with X Com's base and country support management with real time squad control.

Toucharcade forum with App Info

No SAFE place: A hands-on preview of War of the Zombie - detailed hands on from PocketTactics

Gameplay trailer

Whoa, I missed this one. The write up on PT mentions a similarity to Atomic Zombie Smasher too, which I really enjoyed. I'm keeping my eye on this one for sure.

PittaGAF

Apparently Layton Brothers is VERY well done, but it plays a lot more like Ace Attorney (which I hate) than a proper Layton game.

I guess many will be happy but...I'm sooooooooo disappointed.

I hope they have a huge success and someway Level 5 can sneak a proper Layton on iOS.

It's not new, but Great Big War Game is a way better AV than Mecho Wars (though still no AV).

Whoa, I missed this one. The write up on PT mentions a similarity to Atomic Zombie Smasher too, which I really enjoyed. I'm keeping my eye on this one for sure.
It would have slipped by me too, if it wasn't for a few beta testers in the TA forums.
Game's 2.99, NO IAP, and the dev has promised regular updates with new maps, equipment, and features

SirDigga

We just finished our major update on a iOS / Android game called The Lumees, The demo and full game can be found on the site below, check it out.

www.thelumees.com

I will see if I can get some free iOS codes to share with you guys.

Pachimari

Oh that came out of nowhere. Having not bought anything for months, I'm gonna take a look at these:

• Colin McRae Rally 2 (one of my greatest racing moments)
  • Limbo (have been shouting for an iOS port and almost bought it for Vita)
  • Layton Brothers

blahness

PFD

igor

Wow wow wow so many surprising releases, at least for me!

I didn't know Layton game or Colin McRae Rally are coming out! Limbo should have come out ages ago, will look really nice on small screen.

(remember how in the local CMRR2 tournament I got the last place with amazing time of 8 minutes... heheh) Game is supposed to be 5 dollars - I know it's a decent game but it feels bit steep especially for such an oldie.

Also, Samurai Showdown 2 released (?) give me the external controller now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_qpMxfzfE&feature=player_embedded

Ridiculous Fishing is supposed to receive a massive update, I still need one more fish to unlock last level. Nice one! http://toucharcade.com/2013/06/24/r...eceive-huge-content-update-new-narrative-arc/

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I didn't know Layton game or Colin McRae Rally are coming out! Limbo should have come out ages ago, will look really nice on small screen.
It looks phenomenal on Vita. I wonder what they'll do with control for ios, they said they'd rework them a lot. Tricky platformers like this are nigh unplayable on ios, IMO, prime example Another World, even with somewhat retooled controls. Still, it's Limbo, so I'll buy it day 1. Here's hoping someday Braid port comes out on something mobile.

Synless

Except this is demonstrably the case for a great many titles out there. The iPad 3 has a lot of issues every other iPad does not due to it not really having fast enough hardware to drive its screen.
I typed it backwards. I meant to say no way it will run worse on the 2 than the 3.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
So just found this thread. IOS gaming is my new addiction.

Anway, my most anticipated game this week is War of the Zombie. It's like a mix of Plague Inc's global scale and map interface with X Com's base and country support management with real time squad control.

Toucharcade forum with App Info

No SAFE place: A hands-on preview of War of the Zombie - detailed hands on from PocketTactics

Gameplay trailer

Welcome!

Oh that came out of nowhere. Having not bought anything for months, I'm gonna take a look at these:

• Colin McRae Rally 2 (one of my greatest racing moments)
  • Limbo (have been shouting for an iOS port and almost bought it for Vita)
  • Layton Brothers

I'll look to update the OP tomorrow with the latest batch of goodies, incl War of the Zombie. Colin McRae doesn't impress in the video posted, so I'll leave that out until we get impressions.

Limbo is a sure bet for the soon™ July OP. :)

*yesterday at EA*

"Hey guys, you got that memo about not making it pay to win, right?"

"ohh....."
Been delayed due to stability issues I hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom