• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karish

X-Com crashes a lot on my mini. Anyone else? Also, I can't for the life of me get iCloud saves working between my iPhone and iPad. Both are on iOS 7 beta 2...

iOS Gaming Thread July '13. This week: Physics puzzler, endless runner, freemium builder, inept console re-release
So what's everyone's preferred genre on IOS? I love physics puzzlers, platformers and tactical strategy

Which means June has been awesome (Icebreaker, League of Evil 3, War of the Zombie) and July has Limbo, which I never expected

Rimfya

Banned
Kindgom Rush is fun, but should items be treated like cheats or are they acceptable (or necessary) to win? Frustrating to keep losing on the same level over and over only to run out of gems for more items.

So what's everyone's preferred genre? I love physics puzzlers, platformers and tactical strategy

Which means June has been awesome (Icebreaker, League of Evil 3, War of the Zombie) and July has Limbo, which I never expected

In iOS? Physics puzzlers, adventure games and turn-based strategy games by far.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Kindgom Rush is fun, but should items be treated like cheats or are they acceptable (or necessary) to win? Frustrating to keep losing on the same level over and over only to run out of gems for more items.

Not even close to necessary to win. I beat the whole game and got maybe six stars short of a perfect game before using any. And even then I only started using them because I wanted to get 100% quickly and I had so much money saved up from never using it. Short of getting a HUGE amount of them though I don't even think they help you that much. So don't feel like just b/c you have a hard time with items that it'll be impossible without. Just watch some of their strategy videos. I'm no expert but generally I like to focus on chokepoints especially early on rather than spreading myself too thin. Honestly that strategy helped my get 80% of the stars I did.

LugNut74

Went ahead and took the plunge and picked up XCOM. I am playing this on the ipad mini and it runs it well. Going to take a while to get used to the interface though. I poured a lot of hours on the 360 version and the ai seems to be a little different in this version. Maybe it is just me having to adjust to the interface and stuff though. Will play the crap out of this though. It is mind boggling to me though I am able to play this on a mobile device. I absolutely love this game.

It's a shame that War of the Zombie isn't get much attention. Besides Pockettactics, I haven't seen any other previews and no mention of it any other sites today. Touch Arcade even ignored it today and they usually do release previews for all the major or promising games on Wednesday.

From what I've read from a few beta testers and the Pockettactics preview, the game accomplishes what it set out to do and provides a lot of strategic depth.

I hope WoTZ gets more attention once it's released. A dev that releases a premium game with no IAP should be supported. not punished with shit sales

blahness

It's a shame that War of the Zombie isn't get much attention. Besides Pockettactics, I haven't seen any other previews and no mention of it any other sites today. Touch Arcade even ignored it today and they usually do release previews for all the major or promising games on Wednesday.

From what I've read from a few beta testers and the Pockettactics preview, the game accomplishes what it set out to do and provides a lot of strategic depth.

I hope WoTZ gets more attention once it's released. A dev that releases a premium game with no IAP should be supported. not punished with shit sales

WoTZ is out now. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/war-of-the-zombie/id605277717?mt=8

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
wat

6LEV9OM.png

dream

War of the Zombies seems...kind of janky? There are some pathfinding issues even in the tutorial which, incidentally, I can't actually complete despite loading everyone onto the evac ship like I was asked to.

blahness

War of the Zombies seems...kind of janky? There are some pathfinding issues even in the tutorial which, incidentally, I can't actually complete despite loading everyone onto the evac ship like I was asked to.

Happened to me too. Once your team is in the evac chopper, if some vips are still outside you can select your team members again to make them get out and the vips should then move and get on.

G-Bus

Banned
Very happy to hear of the rediculous fishing update. Bought the game early last weekend out of sheer boredom. One of the few games on my phone that I didn't regret after playing for a few hours. Think I'm 8 fish away. Now I got some motivation to finish before the update.

Best 2.99 I've spent in a while.

dream

I'm actually enjoying this Layton game a lot. Much to my surprise, it's not very Layton and very Phoenix Wrighty instead. Which is good because I hate puzzles, but I like stories.

Nope. :( Just checked it this morning with a podcast, and XCom doesn't support background music. This is a dealbreaker for a lot of folks.

If you don't have any other way to play this, though, it's so worth the $20 that it's not even funny. Outside of that random Ironman save corruption I had and the customization options missing (or, to be more specific, the lack of the customization DLC), I'd consider this an equal port to the console versions. The worst performing, yes, but also the most portable.

That's lame. Maybe I'll just play it on my ipad and podcast on my phone but it's not quite the same is it.

Hopefully they'll support it for a bit and these changes will come down the road.

Layton bros is amazing. Gives me the Phoenix Wright vibe without the shitty performance of the iOS release.

The translation is a bit funky. Is this authentic queens English or just gibirish?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
X-Com crashes a lot on my mini. Anyone else? Also, I can't for the life of me get iCloud saves working between my iPhone and iPad. Both are on iOS 7 beta 2...

heh I really do think you're one of the only people in the world to care so much about cloud saves, which is ironic since it never seems to work for you. Could it be a side effect of the beta this time maybe?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
heh I really do think you're one of the only people in the world to care so much about cloud saves, which is ironic since it never seems to work for you. Could it be a side effect of the beta this time maybe?

Works fine for me on Beta 2. However you need to start a new game on your secondary device, then once you get access to the Load Game menu, refresh the iCloud slot and your game should appear as normal (had to do this on iOS 6 too to get it working FYI).

FerranMG

What's the problem with that?

"We're gonna give you a new vehicle for free in a few days.
Get it RAIT NAO for x cash."

"You can buy our game at a heavy discounted price in a few month's time.
Or you can preorder it and get it on launch day for 60 bucks."

Totally fine by me.

I've been meaning to get into Blendoku since I learned there was a synching option between iPad and iPhone.
I've never been able to get the sync code, though. When I try to obtain it, I get a message reading "error connecting to server".
This happens still after getting today's update.
Has anyone the same problem?
Any way to solve it?

RustyO

So just found this thread. IOS gaming is my new addiction.

Welcome! iOS gaming has some serious gems. Recommend digging through the previouly months threads; and the 2011 and 2012 GotY threads as well.

Anway, my most anticipated game this week is War of the Zombie. It's like a mix of Plague Inc's global scale and map interface with X Com's base and country support management with real time squad control.

Cool! Looks like my kind of thing.

So, any impressions?

Meantime

For those who care - it mutes background audio playback when you start it up. FFS.

colinp

Banned
Having great fun with Icebreaker. Guess I'm a week behind releases, hah.

Opening up the par system was a nice surprise, really slick game.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
It's unethical like most IAP. It's a business, sure, but most IAP are still disgusting.

Unethical? How?

Jetpack Joyride is given away for free. In app purchases is how they make money from the game that they give away for free. You don't need to make any inapp purchases to enjoy most or all of the game that they give away for free. All inapp purchases are optional.

In this case, they are temporarily monetizing new content that they are adding to the game they give away for free which will be given for free in a few days anyway. They are telling people ahead of time that this item will be given away for free if they are prepared to wait, right there in the store, so there is no bait and switch.

Again, unethical? How?

igor

Layton bros is amazing. Gives me the Phoenix Wright vibe without the shitty performance of the iOS release.

The translation is a bit funky. Is this authentic queens English or just gibirish?

I think it's just clumsily stylised at certain points this way, it doesn't look that off to me though I'm not a native speaker. The girl is pure Irish: "That's grand" "Let's get cracking" Though only culchies misuse tenses as much as she does - "were" instead of "was" gets pretty annoying.

Overall the translation is very Layton-ey as it's been pointed out. It's bit of a funny stylised english to suit the world that is bit of a mixture of old England, bit of Japanese adaptation of Anne of the Green Gables (at least to me). As much as I couldn't get into Prof. Layton on DS it would be nice to see each game for a fiver on iOS. Nice that Level 5 does something regarding the platform anyway, still fingers crossed for the Crimson Shroud!

When it comes to the actual Layton Brothers game - played a bit and not exactly sold on timed investigation and to guess the culprit when the the case is probably more abstract than it seems is bit annoying, but I am going to finish the free chapters first to see the rest.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I think it's just clumsily stylised at certain points this way, it doesn't look that off to me though I'm not a native speaker. The girl is pure Irish: "That's grand" "Let's get cracking" Though only culchies misuse tenses as much as she does - "were" instead of "was" gets pretty annoying.

Actually that sounds more like a yorkshire accent to me. Swapping "were" for "was" is pretty common oop north. "By eck that were reet grand like"

snap0212

I'm really curious, how old are you?
Why would you be interested in that?

Unethical? How?

Jetpack Joyride is given away for free. In app purchases is how they make money from the game that they give away for free. You don't need to make any inapp purchases to enjoy most or all of the game that they give away for free. All inapp purchases are optional.

In this case, they are temporarily monetizing new content that they are adding to the game they give away for free which will be given for free in a few days anyway. They are telling people ahead of time that this item will be given away for free if they are prepared to wait, right there in the store, so there is no bait and switch.

Again, unethical? How?
There are obviously various levels of unethicality and I would consider this one to be on the better side. That is due to them telling me that it's going to be free and the general design of Jetpack Joyride. I don't like that you can basically buy yourself to the top of the leaderboards, though, but that is a different discussion.

I consider IAP to be unethical because they're built in a way that encourages continuous spending. I haven't taken a look at Jetpack Joyride in a while but there's no way to be done with spending money to just have everything available forever and all the time, is there? The game is designed to reward money spending instantly, and while it's fair to argue that this is what every company is doing when they sell any product, I think the difference is that switching a couple of numbers around (basically enabling cheating for money) is no effort at all. The game is free, yes, but a “enable everything” pay option for $5 or something could have been done as well. It isn't, because that would mean that some people would then not spend an exorbitant amount of money on these things.

Often times IAP are very nontransparent as well. Take Jurassic Park Builder, for example: The most popular IAP are those for the game's currency. It can be used for many pre-defined things (like food for the dinosaurs or similar things), but it can also be used to level up dinosaurs. Leveling up is a dice roll. You have to have 10 successful rounds and then your dino will be upgraded. The dice roll is seemingly random but we don't know for sure since we don't know the numbers behind the front end. It's possible that people purchase in-game money with real money to then get absolutely nothing out of it. Companies can also change those numbers whenever they want, decreasing your chances whenever the dice rolls and so on.

I also think the "everything's optional" argument is not a good one. We could justify pretty much all business practices with this argument. Most of the bad decisions adults make are optional. You didn't need to sign this mortgage that is completely in favor of the bank, you didn't need to try X or Y. Sure, it was optional, but that doesn't mean that it wasn't unethical of the bank to get your signature. Not that I'm saying it's really comparable (IAP and a terrible mortgage), but I think the "you don't have to" argument is not that good.

Minsc

Gold Member
I consider IAP to be unethical because they're built in a way that encourages continuous spending. I haven't taken a look at Jetpack Joyride in a while but there's no way to be done with spending money to just have everything available forever and all the time, is there? The game is designed to reward money spending instantly, and while it's fair to argue that this is what every company is doing when they sell any product, I think the difference is that switching a couple of numbers around (basically enabling cheating for money) is no effort at all. The game is free, yes, but a “enable everything” pay option for $5 or something could have been done as well. It isn't, because that would mean that some people would then not spend an exorbitant amount of money on these things.

Often times IAP are very nontransparent as well. Take Jurassic Park Builder, for example: The most popular IAP are those for the game's currency. It can be used for many pre-defined things (like food for the dinosaurs or similar things), but it can also be used to level up dinosaurs. Leveling up is a dice roll. You have to have 10 successful rounds and then your dino will be upgraded. The dice roll is seemingly random but we don't know for sure since we don't know the numbers behind the front end. It's possible that people purchase in-game money with real money to then get absolutely nothing out of it. Companies can also change those numbers whenever they want, decreasing your chances whenever the dice rolls and so on.

You have Jetpack Joyride totally wrong. It isn't pay to win at all, in fact, the highest scores I've seen are by people who don't even use any IAP (consumable items). The point of the game isn't to get everything forever either, it's to get the furthest run.

Jurassic Park Builder is a freemium game through and through, that's like complaining an RPG has RPG elements in it. There's a million games like Jurassic Park Builder, and it's just what they do. You're free to not like them, but it's not setting out to be what you want it to be, it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom