• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Yeah, it's a bummer. I forgot to post a pic, but I was greeted with this after a death

JsBcG0d.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Solstice (Moba) is absolute trash. Pay to win and horribly balanced. I regret that I spent like 15 hours on this.

Jopie

Yeah, it's a bummer. I forgot to post a pic, but I was greeted with this after a death

JsBcG0d.png

Could not care less about timed in app purchases, but I hate when this happens.
Having said that, I put over 20 hours into the game, so not sure i have any room to complain. Whatever it takes to keep a great dev making money, and making content is worth it I guess.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Heads up Infinity Blade 2 is on sale for $1 until June 30th, I'm new to iOS games so I'm grabbing it now
Thanks man. Bought it on my mini - hopefully it can run it properly.

Bought Kingdom Rush Frontiers.
I've only played for a few minutes now but I know this game is going to take my life over.
It's been a while since a game has made me actually clench my fists and growl! Haha!
Love the music and the graphics in this game.
Thanks for all the positive feedback here GAF, I wouldn't have given it a try if I didn't see all the positivness here :)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'm at that same point, but reversed. I love the Ace Attorney series so much, it's crazy that I've put off Ghost Trick as long as I have.
You gotta move that shit up your queue. It has that saturday morning cartoon style with a touch of violence like AA but with awesome animation and some very clever, rube goldberg-esque puzzles. Plus it has Missile, the best videogame character ever. I need to rebuy it on iOS since don't have DS anymore.

Yanksfan

Yea, I haven't played it in a while, guess I have the ads to look forward to as well.

Picked up Ghost Trick and Phoenix Wright Trilogy tonight, gonna (re)play them soon. This is the perfect platform for these type of games and I hope to see them migrate over from the DS to the iOS as the first stop eventually.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ace Attorney 5 is their newest release, right? I'd buy that and/or ports of the Edgeworth and that other spin-off with the dorky kid.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Inserting ads into a paid version of a game is bullshit. Keep that shit separate or don't do it.

I agree. That kind of behaviour is abhorrent. After having that happen once, I no longer trust developers on the platform and don't update 'clean' games.

It's a shame that Apple doesn't have a policy that protects the consumer in this regard on the platform.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
If you're gonna put ads in your game, at least let us disable them for a couple bucks. That's fair, especially with F2P titles. Otherwise I just won't play your game at all. There are plenty of great games on iOS that don't force you to look at ads.

If you're gonna put ads in your game, at least let us disable them for a couple bucks. That's fair, especially with F2P titles.

I would say that is only fair with F2P games. If the app costs any kind of money I would expect no advertising at all except if it was mentioned clearly in the app description (which it would never be).

SteveWD40

I don't mind any IAP (baring timers) as long as it's optional, but ads rub me the wrong way. I think all freemium games should have an IAP do disable them, they don't belong anywhere near paid apps (which JPJR was, I paid for it for example, and have bought IAP).

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Ok I am torn between xcom for the iphone or the war of Zombie Game, what say gaf?

I have Xcom on the 360, just really want a portable version,

I loved ghost recon on the 3ds, shall I dl war of zombie and just play xcom on the 360 then?

Ok I am torn between xcom for the iphone or the war of Zombie Game, what say gaf?

I have Xcom on the 360, just really want a portable version,

I loved ghost recon on the 3ds, shall I dl war of zombie and just play xcom on the 360 then?

war of zombie is $3. why not just get both for 23?

heringer

Nobody else playing Layton Brothers? My impressions:

Finished 5 cases. It's fun, has a nice presentation. Also, Alfendi Layton turns out to be an... interesting character. Not as boring as I thought he would be. All in all, it's worth $5.

Do not expect Ace Attorney though. Nowhere near as clever or content rich. The solutions are pretty much spelled out for you, and the cases play out the same as the first two (no new mechanic so far), though that were a couple of moments that made me feel smart. I'm yet to tackle the most difficult cases though.

So yeah, not the caliber of Ace Attorney, Ghost Trick or Professor Layton, but for five bucks you shouldn't expect it to be.

PittaGAF

I'm late but having completed the backlog, I finally bought XCOM.

So far, I'm really impressed, it's waaaaaay better than I thought it would have been (on 4S, I'll try later on iPad 3).

I'm late but having completed the backlog, I finally bought XCOM.

So far, I'm really impressed, it's waaaaaay better than I thought it would have been (on 4S, I'll try later on iPad 3).

Yeah im still playing it (on 4s as well). Game runs well enough for the most part. Had the odd map that chuggs a big (large crash sites for example). However being turn based makes it mostly a non issue. Just great to have such a decent game on phones and tablets.

Hopefully a sign of things to come. Depends how well it sells I guess.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Finally got hold of xcom today and damn, this shit is significantly uglier than I expected (iPad 2 here). I'm sure it'll be fine once I get used to it and the gameplay seems intact, but I'd rather that they'd tried something a little different with the artstyle (maybe slightly toonier?) than just down down down rezzing everything. It looks like when I tried to run Doom 3 back in the day without lighting.

Clunker

XCom runs pretty well on my 4S too -- it chugs during reaction fire/over watch chains, and if someone is using suppression, but otherwise the controls are great and it runs very nicely. Only major complaint I had was a save bug that ruined my ironman run :( so I'm playing a self-imposed ironman game now.

How does XCom fare on a mini? I don't have one but am dying to get one at some point, and I definitely feel like XCom could benefit from the larger screen.

How does XCOM perform on 4s? And is the the Phoenix Wright pack still poor performance wise or have they patched it?

PW runs like ass on all hardware... but thats mostly animation transitions for menus. It's perfectly playable and the visuals look better than screenshots on a low res pc monitor for sure.

FrankCaron

I'm torn between War of Zombies and X COM. I haven't dug into X COM yet on any platform, so there's that, but War of Zombies looks mighty interesting. My problem is that I don't have an iPad, so WoZ seems like a game better suited to playing on the iPhone (4S).

Anyone wanna push me one way or the other?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
xcom question:

what happens if you don't build the alien interrogation stuff until late? i have a super crew and am pretty late in terms of being up against big enemies. i just captured one with the arc but it didn't let me interrogate him after the mission. does it only work on the little guys? do they even show up lategame? or is my game world stuck in a state where panic is low, aliens and humans live together relatively peacefully with only occasional firefights?

RustyO

xcom question:

what happens if you don't build the alien interrogation stuff until late? i have a super crew and am pretty late in terms of being up against big enemies. i just captured one with the arc but it didn't let me interrogate him after the mission. does it only work on the little guys? do they even show up lategame? or is my game world stuck in a state where panic is low, aliens and humans live together relatively peacefully with only occasional firefights?

- Works on most aliens; with a couple of notable exceptions.
- You only interogate each breed once; capturing more grants weapons / research.
- Depends on if your sci guys are working on something else?

PFD

As a fan of league of evil 2, I'm really enjoying LoE 3. Gorgeous graphics, super tight controls, and tough as nails platforming.

Vire

As a fan of league of evil 2, I'm really enjoying LoE 3. Gorgeous graphics, super tight controls, and tough as nails platforming.

I'd love to play considering I bought the damn thing, but it's unplayable on iOS 7.

Anyone figure out a work around? Or is it simply borked?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
awwwwww man. was plowing through an ironman game of xcom, probably 15+ hours. had updated my squad so went into mission then hit save and quit so i could pick up right where i left off. come back and the file is corrupted. clicking icloud also does nothing, just totally gone.

guess i'll start a new game on pc and hope it works out better :/

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it too. Glad they ramp up the difficulty really early on, means you can go straight from playing the last world in League 2 without having to go through easy tutorial stages again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom