• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just picked up an iPhone 5 and was looking for some games to grab. I had a 4 but stayed away from games because most ran terribly. This plants vs zombies deal could not have come at a better time. Any other steals I can get?

Pick up The Walking Dead if you haven't played through that already.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I notice plenty of times you guys mentioned for how long you've played a game, how the hell do you know that? How do you do that on iOS? It's the one feature I LOVE about the 3DS (and Wii, to some extent via Nintendo Channel) which I've always missed on other platforms and I'd kill to have something similar to a play log on here.

@Tunesmith

Will do my dear :D

I notice plenty of times you guys mentioned for how long you've played a game, how the hell do you know that? How do you do that on iOS? It's the one feature I LOVE about the 3DS (and Wii, to some extent via Nintendo Channel) which I've always missed on other platforms and I'd kill to have something similar to a play log on here.

There's a tool that keeps track but you have to be jailbroken to use it.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

@Tunesmith

I keep a meticulously written paper journal.

I guesstimate mostly, or go by whatever game-specific counters there are, Warhammer Quest has for example the amount of time you've spent playing written on the save game, among others like it.

PFD

@Tunesmith

I use AppStat, a free Cydia app.

@Tunesmith

I'm scared to jailbreak my iphone so I just guesstimate most of the time. Some apps feature game logs detailing how long you've played but it isn't a universal feature.

Am I right in feeling that Home is a quality release worthy of OP?
I've got it but it doesn't run in iOS 7 so I have no clue yet (iOS 6 iPad has no room to install - XCOM!).

Haven't played the iOS version (yet) but I personally feel like it's something that deserves that much attention. I really enjoyed it.

jtb

Banned
how does XCOM look on an iPhone 5? I don't mean graphics, I mean like... UI and stuff. is it particularly cramped? is the font hard to read? (FFT can be pretty annoying in that regard)

okno

Took the dive on Badlands now and it's pretty phenomenal and looks amazing on my mini. I feel kind of bad waiting for the price to go down, it's a beautiful game.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Magic 2014 is here!

Quoting myself so everyone is informed about "Sealed""

It works like this:

You have 2 sealed slots to start. Each slot contains:

5 initial boosters from which to build your deck, and a short campaign during which you can unlock 3 additional Boosters. With this sealed deck you can now play more campaign or 1on1 (no other modes). If you're not happy with your deck/want to try other themes, you have to pay 2.99 for each extra slot (5+3 boosters).

There'll most likely be a separate in-app login to prevent you from simply deleting, it's gonna be stored somewhere. Same for the PC version.

Clunker

Boo - I am loving XCom on my iPhone 4S (cramped at times but perfectly playable), but I ran into a save corruption on my ironman run that destroyed my entire progress in the file. :( I'm restarting and playing non-ironman so I can make backup files on my own. Not sure if it's just my phone or a bug, so Ironmen beware.

In terms of comparison between console XCom and the iOS version (I played 50+ hours on 360), the graphical details are obviously lower (textures way lower-res) and there are no killcams or "enemy spotted" mini-cutscenes, but otherwise it's a very well done port IMO. Framerate chugs in spots but I am honestly surprised it runs on my 4S at all. not having the color customization is my bigger gripe.

In terms of comparison between console XCom and the iOS version (I played 50+ hours on 360), the graphical details are obviously lower (textures way lower-res) and there are no killcams or "enemy spotted" mini-cutscenes, but otherwise it's a very well done port IMO. Framerate chugs in spots but I am honestly surprised it runs on my 4S at all. not having the color customization is my bigger gripe.

I have to echo this for anybody still on the fence about a $20 iOS title.

I played the demo on 360 when it first came out and really enjoyed the experience. I don't have the patience for console-based strategy games any more and I lamented the fact that there wasn't an iOS version. Even when the port was announced I didn't think it could possibly live up to my expectations, but it has. I'm only a few hours in but the mechanics of the game are so sound, and the strategy is well balanced and intelligent.

Uniwar, Wesnoth, Hunters 2, Great Little War Game....none of them have scratched the itch. So happy with XCom.

I played about a half our of Home - A Unique Horror Game last night and loved what I played. Surprised at the tension it is able to create with such a limited graphic set. Looking forward to finishing it tonight and seeing if it merits replays.

Yeah? I haven't picked it up yet but have been meaning to try it. Maybe tomorrow ill grab it.

It really is. A pretty fresh take on physics puzzling (at least in my fairly limited experience) and the art is fantastic. More eBoy style than your usual pixel art based iOS game. Really gorgeous.

Icebreaker is radddddd

I hear that, I've played it a fair amount while it was a flash game so was a little worried it might just be all the same content. But I've been pleasantly surprised at the quality of what appeals to be all new level design and general production values. Seems like a real gem. The only bummer is I am completely stuck on how to do the 'Checking In' level.

SteveWD40

Sadly Shadow Era still runs like shit even after the "fix" this week, the AI turns seem to take an age and it hangs all the time (on a mini with all apps closed, the game is pretty old too so no excuse).

Hearthstone can't get here soon enough.

heringer

Inspired by the "What's your favourite Chrono Trigger era?" topic, I feel like playing Chrono Trigger again. Is the iOS version any good? It gets a lot of criticism, but the only other option right now would be the PSN version which has long ass loadings.

Inspired by the "What's your favourite Chrono Trigger era?" topic, I feel like playing Chrono Trigger again. Is the iOS version any good? It gets a lot of criticism, but the only other option right now would be the PSN version which has long ass loadings.

The controls are absolutely terrible, switching targets to attacks is a pain and leads to a lot of unnecessary deaths. I don't recommend it, there are much better versions to play elsewhere.

igor

I know that it's not the answer you're looking for but try to get DS version, it's the definitive one.

Ugh I have a craving for a good jRpg for iOS - I found Chaos Rings disappointing. I'm still thinking of world ends with you though I'm bit poor now to double dip on this game. Is there anything else here?

I know that it's not the answer you're looking for but try to get DS version, it's the definitive one.

Ugh I have a craving for a good jRpg for iOS - I found Chaos Rings disappointing. I'm still thinking of world ends with you though I'm bit poor now to double dip on this game. Is there anything else here?

I can't believe they're charging $18 for that, Square needs to get their shit together when it comes to mobile pricing.

If you found even anything remotely good about Chaos Rings I would recommend Chaos Rings 2. I found 1 and Omega turgidly dull but the sequal improves greatly on the mechanics and structure of its predecessors and is well worth checking out.

Ministration

Neo Member
If anyone not PRO with the game (thanks for the offer awesome dev, but I do not want to be humiliated :p) want to test her/his skills with fresh meat, challenge me, my commander name is Crom.

I haven't put proper time in game as much as I wanted, but what measures has been taken to prevent the players with most hours/gold under the belt to afford and assemble the best brigades (if they exists)?
Just curious, I saw many brigades you can hire.

Our intention is that every Brigade is balanced equally. Regardless of how much or how little silver (or real money, for that matter) any player spends, nobody should be able to buy a Brigade that is so much more powerful to the point of being an instant-win advantage. For example, some Brigades have units with very powerful abilities or attack power, but they may have very few units (ie. much less overall health) or poorer defense.

Players who've invested lots of time to level up their Brigades will have a slight edge of something like +5% to 10% on certain stats. I emphasize on the word slight, btw. By design, there's always a chance that a tactically superior player will defeat someone who's leveled up their Brigades to the max.

Having said that, the balance is probably not perfect; we've been doing a lot of in-house testing, but the soft launch is meant to help catch more imbalance issues we might have missed.

Since Minion Rush is DOA on my 4S, any other recommendos for a Temple Run type game? Presentation is probably the thing I'm most focused on as they're all mostly the same game.

PFD

Since Minion Rush is DOA on my 4S, any other recommendos for a Temple Run type game? Presentation is probably the thing I'm most focused on as they're all mostly the same game.

Into the Dead is pretty damn cool. It's a unique take on the endless runner genre.

PFD

Oh yeah, I have that, love it. I have a couple of other "technically" endless runners, but I was looking for something cool in that top down space. Alot of others I've tried are super chintzy looking.

Hmm have you tried One Epic Knight? I also enjoyed that, and it's kinda close to Temple Run. Made by the same devs behind Tiny Heroes (and exists in same universe.)

igor

I can't believe they're charging $18 for that, Square needs to get their shot together when it comes to mobile pricing.

Well XCOM is the same price and no one complains. It's a fully fledged title and it's one of my favourite jRPGs ever - when I bought it back on NDS I was drooling all over, magnificent game - and iOS version is pretty much all this in up-res graphics. My only worry is that the battle system - the double screen combat made sense in terms of the story and the world and it looks like it's being slightly dumbed down for the sake of one screen. Still I really want to play it again on my iphone and show the support for the possible sequel.

But yeah generally SE has ridiculous prices - Final Fantasy 3 or 5 for 15 euro is ridiculous not to even mention Theatrythm and other games.

If you found even anything remotely good about Chaos Rings I would recommend Chaos Rings 2. I found 1 and Omega turgidly dull but the sequal improves greatly on the mechanics and structure of its predecessors and is well worth checking out.

Hmm maybe when it drops in price - 15 euro seems bit too steep. Chaos Rings had really shallow system and painfully dull exploration. Atlus should take their shit together and release Persona 4 mobile or port other MegaTen games.
Wouldn't hurt to see Falcom's TitS series either

Well XCOM is the same price and no one complains. It's a fully fledged title and it's one of my favourite jRPGs ever - when I bought it back on NDS I was drooling all over, magnificent game - and iOS version is pretty much all this in up-res graphics. My only worry is that the battle system - the double screen combat made sense in terms of the story and the world and it looks like it's being slightly dumbed down for the sake of one screen. Still I really want to play it again on my iphone and show the support for the possible sequel.

I just have a hard time paying $18 for a game that originally came out in 2007, even if it has been optimized for ios. I really want to pick up Chaos Rings II as well but $16 is too steep for my tastes. And this is coming from someone who LOVED the original. Guess I'll just have to wait for a sale.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
I'm not sure, I didn't buy XCOM on the my iPad 3. I was just saying that there is no way it's going to run worse on the 3 than the 2.

The iPad 3 is the gimpy stepchild of the iPad line, I would be very surprised if XCOM ran better on the 3 than the 2. Most games seem to run better on the 2. Would be happy to be proven wrong though. I'm getting the game on Friday when I get paid for my 2.

In preparation for XCOM I've just finished up Warhammer Quest so I can clear out some space. Game was good fun but it got a bit too grindy towards the end, and the black dungeon at the end was just silly. DOZENS of super powerful orcs in the same damn room, it took me well over an hour to complete it. I know there's DLC but...I think I've had enough.

igor

I just have a hard time paying $18 for a game that originally came out in 2007, even if it has been optimized for ios. I really want to pick up Chaos Rings II as well but $16 is too steep for my tastes. And this is coming from someone who LOVED the original. Guess I'll just have to wait for a sale.

I think asking 16 dollars for CR2 is bit crazy by comparison. If you haven't played tWEWY before it's a must buy on iPhone, I think it really is a fair price even though it was released 6 years ago for the amount of content it offers - I still haven't maxed out the DS version even though I have 150+hrs spent on it.

I'm not sure, I didn't buy XCOM on the my iPad 3. I was just saying that there is no way it's going to run worse on the 3 than the 2.

Except this is demonstrably the case for a great many titles out there. The iPad 3 has a lot of issues every other iPad does not due to it not really having fast enough hardware to drive its screen.

When the F$%& is Apple going to release a new phone?

I want to compare the newest Iphoner to the Droid ones before I make a decision about switching to the Droid network, but these A-HOLES won't release a new phone.

xJavonta

Banned

I want to compare the newest Iphoner to the Droid ones before I make a decision about switching to the Droid network, but these A-HOLES won't release a new phone.

Lol what? They unveil them every September. This is nothing new. The iPhone 5 isn't even a year old yet, be patient.

dream

Have you emailed them and asked?

dean-what-gif.gif

September, bro

Heel

Sometime this year, as they've done every year since they started making telephones.

1st gen: June 29, 2007
3G: July 11, 2008
3GS: June 19, 2009
4: June 24, 2010
4S: October 14, 2011
5: September 21, 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom