• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been playing through the Ace Attorney trilogy thus far and am having a good time with it. There's a lot of dialogue which makes playing it in short bursts a chore but I'm having fun. Still on the fence about buying additional chapter though.

SteveWD40

I really hope we're able to take warriors past level 6 with future updates. In the board game you could go all the way up to 10.

They could even get really crazy and introduce more monster races and bigger monsters like dragons and demons!

We can only hope that's the plan, Games Workshop will certainly be wanting more income from the IP so I would guess, as long as it turns a profit then they will push Rodeo for it.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
A few things that would make Warhammer a much better experience. Things that are simple to add in next expansions:

- Make the game harder. I think they did a disservice to their game by lowering the difficulty to a point where you don't need to think about tactics. In the harder dungeons you see the game has potential, but unfortunately 90% of the campaign is far too easy.

- Raise the level cap, add more active skills. With a tighter difficulty, exploring new skills and more tactical options would be a blast.

- More scripted events, more enemies, bigger dungeons with incentive for exploration.

Nothing too hard to add if you ask me. Game has potential but still feels a little vanilla. If they add a harder difficulty setting I might grab the expansion.

Yeah, I'd like it a bit harder too. Especially if you've played Hunters, the game feels a bit too breezy so far (only level three though). I'm playing on 'normal' but I've only had one guy downed so far and I rezzed him before the end of the turn. Shoulda gone hardcore.

Meier

My Simpsons Tapped Out corn just finished! Finally. I got a quest to harvest moonshine about 1 week into my corn too, lol.

Does anyone know how your City's star ranking is calculated?

heringer

Let's not forget two elements that would greatly add to the experience imho.
- First the game is clearly Orc-centric and the expansion announce a Skaven-fest. While on paper there is nothing wrong with that, in reality the enemy diversity is a bit on the shit side and the game needs more diversity. And with that I'm wondering if the expansion mix old and new tilesets. It would be sad if you had the vanilla zone, the expansion 1 zone, the expansion 2 zone, tileset-wise.
- Traps and other little things like that. Others have said this sort of things is present in the board game and it could be a neat addition. Dungeon crawling is a little too much on auto pilot for the time being.
Yeah, auto pilot is a great description for most of the game.

Yeah, I'd like it a bit harder too. Especially if you've played Hunters, the game feels a bit too breezy so far (only level three though). I'm playing on 'normal' but I've only had one guy downed so far and I rezzed him before the end of the turn. Shoulda gone hardcore.

You know, now that I'm the last few dungeons of the game I can definitely say the biggest problem with it is that it wasn't well balanced. 90% of the game is a cakewalk, then in the last few dungeons they decided to throw you some challenge. It's really jarring. Hardcore won't fix that, since the game will remain easy but with a harsh penalty if you really really suck.

It's a shame, because the gameplay really opens up when you keep getting ambushed by Orc bosses and shamans. Fuck shamans, they can one hit kill anyone of my party if they get the power. It's tough, but getting around situations like that using skills and tactics feels good.

And my Mage is awesome. Feels like I'm playing with freaking Gandalf, let me tell you. He can dominate most battles and save everyone's asses with the skills he has.

Yeah, auto pilot is a great description for most of the game.

You know, now that I'm the last few dungeons of the game I can definitely say the biggest problem with it is that it wasn't well balanced. 90% of the game is a cakewalk, then in the last few dungeons they decided to throw you some challenge. It's really jarring. Hardcore won't fix that, since the game will remain easy but with a harsh penalty if you really really suck.

It's a shame, because the gameplay really opens up when you keep getting ambushed by Orc bosses and shamans. Fuck shamans, they can one hit kill anyone of my party if they get the power. It's tough, but getting around situations like that using skills and tactics feels good.

And my Mage is awesome. Feels like I'm playing with freaking Gandalf, let me tell you. He can dominate most battles and save everyone's asses with the skills he has.

So you go around shining a flashlight at enemies?

PittaGAF

Sigh.

Please do know that difficulty before was much harder...you'll get a glimpse of it playing a dungeon 2 levels sub the adviced level or the black dungeon of the first campaign.
Also try the first black dungeon...if you like that scripting...you will find 4 much more scripted dungeons in the expansion (plus other variations)...seems to me something they started implementing late in development.

I think it's looking good for future expansion (they will surely raise the cap up to 10) but I blame newbies for the lower difficulty...they should have just retained easy mode for them.

Not only it's easier, there are much less enemies, much less wounds per enemy, less ambushes and MUCH more gold and too nice loot earlier.
All this combined makes the game too easy, hampering his tactical potential.
Hardcore do something for that, but it's just psicologically because the game is still a bit easy (though permadeath changes completely your approach).

It's still a great game, but I do hope they will raise difficulty again or publish a much harder new expansion.

heringer

So you go around shining a flashlight at enemies?

Yeah, and it works!

Sigh.

Please do know that difficulty before was much harder...you'll get a glimpse of it playing a dungeon 2 levels sub the adviced level or the black dungeon of the first campaign.
Also try the first black dungeon...if you like that scripting...you will find 4 much more scripted dungeons in the expansion (plus other variations)...seems to me something they started implementing late in development.

I think it's looking good for future expansion (they will surely raise the cap up to 10) but I blame newbies for the lower difficulty...they should have just retained easy mode for them.

Not only it's easier, there are much less enemies, much less wounds per enemy, less ambushes and MUCH more gold and too nice loot earlier.
All this combined makes the game too easy, hampering his tactical potential.
Hardcore do something for that, but it's just psicologically because the game is still a bit easy (though permadeath changes completely your approach).

It's still a great game, but I do hope they will raise difficulty again or publish a much harder new expansion.
I suppose I could try hardcore in the expansion. Can I change that or I have to start fresh?

If not, an interesting option would be to change from normal to hardcore at will. Not like it's hard to do it.

Played through Ace Attorney a bit more. Foreground sprites are still bad for the most part but running in portrait mode helps mitigate this a lot. There's still a lot of polish lacking; animations that ran smoothly in the DS versions, like the courtroom camera pans and the "Cross-Examination" headers that appear when one is about to begin are far choppier than they should be, and for whatever reason the green text that states the time and place wasn't correctly tuned for English - it's way slower than even the original DS games, which is really frustrating since they also can't be skipped. You're still getting a more or less complete experience - I just need to get far enough into a case to see if the epic witness meltdown animations survived intact.

PittaGAF

Yeah, and it works!

I suppose I could try hardcore in the expansion. Can I change that or I have to start fresh?

If not, an interesting option would be to change from normal to hardcore at will. Not like it's hard to do it.

I suggested that as well, plus an insane mode (more difficult, no permadeath).
As it is now, you have to start from fresh for hardcore.
In the 'old' difficulty setting it wasn't really a problem...because you won't survive a lot in hardcore :p
It was true to the boardgame, where you was supposed to do a single dungeon with friends (there was a 9-12 max rooms limit too, if I recall well).
More often than not, NOBODY survived :)))

Anilones

I'm really into Combo Crew now, it took a while but the mechanics feel very similar to the Batman Arkham series. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you are playing too (quote to reveal) .

Cmagus

Dunno if this is permanent or how long it's been on sale but Final Fantasy Dimensions is free right now on iTunes I just grabbed it. It is usually priced at 19.99 but again not sure if it went free.

Minsc

Gold Member
Dunno if this is permanent or how long it's been on sale but Final Fantasy Dimensions is free right now on iTunes I just grabbed it. It is usually priced at 19.99 but again not sure if it went free.

It's always been free, $20 IAP to unlock past the intro chapter, but from time to time the IAP unlock will go on sale (or at least is has once before, will probably again).

heringer

KOTOR controls beautifully on the iPad. Almost like it was made for touchscreens, everything feels right, even movement controls. Well, at least everything clicked with me immediately.

Movement aside, might be even more practical than a controller since just tapping stuff is quicker and snappier.

Performance is decent on iPad 2, but I'm still on Taris so it's hard to tell.

PFD

Are you using auto run or just holding your finger? I tried auto run a bit, but then realized that it wouldn't let me turn the camera while running, so I changed it back.

BL31fxICEAECkfN.jpg

airplay isn't great for most games, but it works quite well for phoenix wright.

Also that glorious ost coming out of the home entertainment system doesn't hurt ;)

Apeboy

I am now hating WHQ as much as I liked it prior to a unrecoverable crash in the last room of the Mork Quest. The last quest before you make a decision to buy the second campaign. WHQ made the decision for me.

heringer

I am now hating WHQ as much as I liked it prior to a unrecoverable crash in the last room of the Mork Quest. The last quest before you make a decision to buy the second campaign. WHQ made the decision for me.

Leave the dungeon and start again. Sucks, but you only lose the progress you made in the dungeon.

PittaGAF

I can confirm that apparently only level 1-5 were remoduled in Warhammer Quest for some reason.
Last levels in the expansion, including white dungeons, are now finally much harder and for the very first time in this playthrough I was finally slaughtered at level 6/5.
I suspect starting fresh the expansion with a new set of characters would be cool too (will do)...no point in doing level 2 dungeons when you are already level 4.

WELCOME BACK 'OLD' WARHAMMER QUEST

Normal white dungeon north of Boghenafen...save some guy (the 'save' quests are harder than the loot ones, providing more XP tough).
I was STUCK for a solid hour in the very same freaking room, constantly being ambushed.
AT LAST, armoured warriors almost always hit (for a nice amount of damage too, half my wounds or so) plus enemy casters launch 'scorch' and 'putrefy' as there was no tomorrow.
For the first time, I had to deplete my all stash in a white dungeon too.

And for the first time ever, I started to actually count my attacks and possible wounds inflicted before moving.
I died nontheless in the target room :D

This is even greater than the beta (hoping it lasts...I'll do extensive tests tonight) because while we got a very very easy game till the last part (first black dungeon and last 3 dungeons of expansion) the 'after ending' game seems much more challenging (after cap and after the black dugneons, beta was really easy, like Hunters 2 with a maxed out squad), hoping it wasn't just a series of very bad rolls.

I still think they shouldn't had modified the difficulty in the core game, but still...
I wonder what 'easy difficulty' is for...just dungeon without enemies? :p

B!TCH

how are you, B!TCH? How is your day going, B!ITCH?
Is there something stopping developers from using iCloud saves? Is it something that is really difficult to do or is Apple just not making enough of an effort to facilitate it?

I'm about to go on a trip and I want to continue to play a game I've been playing for months now but I would prefer not to carry a second device just to continue where I left off. Furthermore, I fret ever having to reset my device and losing all my progress in the game!

Yeah "first world problems" and all that, but the lack of iCloud save support is suspiciously absent in a lot of games where you would expect it (i.e. having both iPhone & iPad versions). I could forgive a game that was already released or maybe even a game that was only iPhone or iPad compatible (though that isn't that great either), but it's an odd omission for games that came out after iCloud was announced that work on large and small screen iOS devices. How is it that GameCenter achievements can be so prevalent and preserved even after you've removed an app from your device but iCloud saves don't get the same priority?

I presume most iOS device users have an iCloud account and that goes double for people who own multiple iOS devices. Presuming there isn't some technical hurdle I'm unaware of, why isn't this feature included in more games?

airplay isn't great for most games, but it works quite well for phoenix wright.

Also that glorious ost coming out of the home entertainment system doesn't hurt ;)

Wait, Airplay actually works on some games? I remember trying it on a couple of games and all I got was the audio through my speakers but no image.

Is this a new thing that Apple needs to make mandatory before developers start taking it seriously? :\

Apeboy

Leave the dungeon and start again. Sucks, but you only lose the progress you made in the dungeon.

Unpossible. The game refuses to load the quest. After I select continue it hangs on the splash screen with the table in front of the fireplace. The settings icon will appear at the top of the screen but is inactive.

heringer

Unpossible. The game refuses to load the quest. After I select continue it hangs on the splash screen with the table in front of the fireplace. The settings icon will appear at the top of the screen but is inactive.

Oh, bummer. :/

Hate when things like that happen.

Is there something stopping developers from using iCloud saves? Is it something that is really difficult to do or is Apple just not making enough of an effort to facilitate it?

I'm about to go on a trip and I want to continue to play a game I've been playing for months now but I would prefer not to carry a second device just to continue where I left off. Furthermore, I fret ever having to reset my device and losing all my progress in the game!

Yeah "first world problems" and all that, but the lack of iCloud save support is suspiciously absent in a lot of games where you would expect it (i.e. having both iPhone & iPad versions). I could forgive a game that was already released or maybe even a game that was only iPhone or iPad compatible (though that isn't that great either), but it's an odd omission for games that came out after iCloud was announced that work on large and small screen iOS devices. How is it that GameCenter achievements can be so prevalent and preserved even after you've removed an app from your device but iCloud saves don't get the same priority?

I presume most iOS device users have an iCloud account and that goes double for people who own multiple iOS devices. Presuming there isn't some technical hurdle I'm unaware of, why isn't this feature included in more games?

Wait, Airplay actually works on some games? I remember trying it on a couple of games and all I got was the audio through my speakers but no image.

Is this a new thing that Apple needs to make mandatory before developers start taking it seriously? :\

I'm just mirroring the actual screen. That should work for 99% of apps, unless it has some weird drm issue, which is usually tied to some video apps.

PittaGAF

iCloud has some requirements (like a max Kb allowed per transaction as far as I know) but I think it should be MANDATORY, and it's useful even if you do not have multiple device.
I would love to delete a big game for space, just to reinstall it in some months and start where I left.

As for Airplay, since some updated ago you can just mirror the screen and every game is on the big screen.
I use it all the time, expecially boardgames when with friends.

PittaGAF

Ouch, that sucks :(

Did you wrote Rodeo?
They were able to 'extract' and correct a game during beta for a friend of mine and usually they answer fast...I would try at least.
I sent some feedback two days ago and, despite being SURELY in their spam list :p, they answered me pretty fast (I hadn't a critical reason too).

Is Agricola releasing today?

Probably not...

Hi everyone, we wanted to provide a quick update. We are still awaiting approval of Agricola. When we are approved, we'll provide the release date and some specifics as to features. Once again, we want to thank everyone for their enthusiasm and the kind words that our game play trailer brought.

that's from Facebook 10 hours ago.

My Simpsons Tapped Out corn just finished! Finally. I got a quest to harvest moonshine about 1 week into my corn too, lol.

Does anyone know how your City's star ranking is calculated?

lol wow!!

I never made corn. Did have to put Apu on that week long shift once.

If you tap on the stars, it shows you the breakdown.

I can't believe how hard they're going at the NRA with this new Herman quest line! Bart and Milhouse buying guns! Fucking insane!

It depends on what device you're using, also. I believe display cloning was introduced with the iPhone 4S/iPad 2. If you're using an earlier device, the app has to specifically support video output to see anything via AirPlay/VGA/HDMI/etc.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
There is indeed a technical limitation. In order to use iCloud saves, the save files need to be tiny (around 300kb if not mistaken?), that's why many games can't support this.

It used to be around 300kb, but is not the case these days and haven't been for some time. Max Payne for example weighs in at roughly 670kb per saved slot.

PittaGAF

Staring with a certain discomfort at the latest Warhammer Quest 'special feature' up right now on Touch Arcade....

Apeboy

Ouch, that sucks :(

Did you wrote Rodeo?
They were able to 'extract' and correct a game during beta for a friend of mine and usually they answer fast...I would try at least.
I sent some feedback two days ago and, despite being SURELY in their spam list :p, they answered me pretty fast (I hadn't a critical reason too).

I just deleted the game. Going to go through the initial content one more time from scratch. I like the game and wouldn't mind buying the extra towns/quests but no way I'm spending any more money until I know the bugs have been hammered out.

Heel

I wanted to give a mention to Bridgy Jones, which appears to be coming out tomorrow. Looks like a bridge building game with some good character and variety. Check out the trailer and you'll see what I mean. Looks great!

Trailer

yhGxQgk.jpg

igor

deep-dungeons-of-doom-2.jpg

This little game was released today and I decided to check it out since it's for free... first of all I'm bit disappointed it's not resized for iPhone 5 I thought Apple would be a bit strict on releasing new apps like that oh well.

But it's a fun take on Dungeon Crawling, you whack attacks at your enemies (attack has a cooldown period) and need to time the blocks right - exploration, equipment, everything is streamlined a lot but just look how adorable this game looks. You've got different jobs and the game itself is quite unforgiving - it's not as easy as it looks.

Now, give Half Minute Hero on iOS :O

EDIT: Of course it's called Deep Dungeons of Doom :O I forgot to include the name, sorry I'm silly! Thanks Pray For death for clarifying this

PFD

This little game was released today and I decided to check it out since it's for free... first of all I'm bit disappointed it's not resized for iPhone 5 I thought Apple would be a bit strict on releasing new apps like that oh well.

But it's a fun take on Dungeon Crawling, you whack attacks at your enemies (attack has a cooldown period) and need to time the blocks right - exploration, equipment, everything is streamlined a lot but just look how adorable this game looks. You've got different jobs and the game itself is quite unforgiving - it's not as easy as it looks.

The game in question is called Deep Dungeons of Doom if anyone's wondering.

What's the game called!?

EDIT: Thanks, PFD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom