• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread June 2013: Why is it sunny outside? I can't see my screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PFD

This is huge guys. The high resolution update for Final Fantasy Tactics has finally arrived, AND the game is discounted at 50% off to celebrate the update.

■Save 50% off the regular price!
We're celebrating our version update with a half-off sale for the week of June 5 through June 12!

[Version 1.2.0]

■Refined Graphics
All of the game's unit graphics have been redrawn in high-resolution. Don't miss this chance to play the sharpest, most beautiful FINAL FANTASY TACTICS yet!

■Improved Draw Speeds
The graphic drawing processes have been optimized for mobile devices. Say goodbye to choppy motion and crash bugs, and play with the quickest, smoothest abilities effects and animations to date!

■iCloud Support
A save slot which allows game data to be saved to iCloud has been added. It is now possible to migrate game data across multiple devices.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Mhmm... I didn't realize there were so many Final Fantasy titles (and other Square-titles like Guardian Cross) on the appstore... Which ones are best/worth it?

Li Kao

Concerning FF Tactics, the update says somethings about the speed of the drawing process being improved. Could this mean that the slowdowns inherited from the psp version have been corrected ?

Edit. Ok, I jumped on the ipad to ask without checking prior posts, yes I'm an idiot.

Whoa, FFT is 50% off!
http://appshopper.com/games/final-fantasy-tactics-the-war-of-the-lions-for-ipad

deep-dungeons-of-doom-2.jpg

This little game was released today and I decided to check it out since it's for free... first of all I'm bit disappointed it's not resized for iPhone 5 I thought Apple would be a bit strict on releasing new apps like that oh well.

But it's a fun take on Dungeon Crawling, you whack attacks at your enemies (attack has a cooldown period) and need to time the blocks right - exploration, equipment, everything is streamlined a lot but just look how adorable this game looks. You've got different jobs and the game itself is quite unforgiving - it's not as easy as it looks.

Now, give Half Minute Hero on iOS :O

EDIT: Of course it's called Deep Dungeons of Doom :O I forgot to include the name, sorry I'm silly! Thanks Pray For death for clarifying this

I'm gonna try this! Thanks!

BTW, the next best thing to Half Minute Hero is 100 Heroes by the same creator:
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/bai-ren-yong-zhe/id463172823?mt=8

JP language only. You might need a JP account to get this.

SteveWD40

From Facebook:

Rodeo Games
Morning everyone. We wanted to give you an update in reference to the bugs that some of you are experiencing with Warhammer Quest.

We submitted an update to Apple last night, which massively improves stability and fixes the majority of issues people have been sending in. It's currently going through their approval process and should hopefully be with you by the weekend or early next week.

Thanks to everyone for being so helpful and understanding in reporting bugs. Please accept our apologies if you have been getting crashes in game. Help is on the way.

labF1.gif

igor

BTW, the next best thing to Half Minute Hero is 100 Heroes by the same creator:
https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/bai-ren-yong-zhe/id463172823?mt=8

JP language only. You might need a JP account to get this.

Actually I played it before and I felt a little bit lost but I gave it a try again and I actually really like it. Thanks ;) Plus this game is just too cute! Still, Half-Minute hero would be perfect for iOS.

Also can someone confirm speed improvements in FFT? I can bite it for half the price and won't even mind no wide-screen support... dem hd sprites mmm... but if it plays like PSP version...

BTW the comparison how the new and old FFT version look like: http://app.famitsu.com/20130214_129721/

They did a very decent job on the sprites I must say

PittaGAF

I think I may have to bend and get FFT. Is it truly worth it?

Personally I never played it before and I completed it last year (when it was first out).
I loved any moment of it from the start to the completion of the optional Midnight dungeon.

Great game and great story.

Anno

Also can someone confirm speed improvements in FFT? I can bite it for half the price and won't even mind no wide-screen support... dem hd sprites mmm... but if it plays like PSP version...

They did a very decent job on the sprites I must say

No skill slowdown at all on my Mini. Rotating the screen has a slight hitch sometimes, but that's about it. Sprites mostly look really solid as well.

SteveWD40

So, Deus EX: The Fall, huh? So much for iOS not being a legit gaming platform.

Depends on what it is, if it's just a mini game with a brand name then people will still hold that opinion.

For me iOS is more than legit but for different types of game, it's the best format for TCG's, Boardgames, Strategy etc...

Edit: ah, I see, it's a real game...

Minsc

Gold Member

Seeing games like Hex (a complete mmotcg) which undeniably take advantage of a the touch screen and you can sink 100s of hours in to fully support iOS as well as PC does more for its validity imo, than 'cheap' spin-offs which people pick on relentlessly for lacking buttons.

SteveWD40

Seeing games like Hex (a complete mmotcg) which undeniably take advantage of a the touch screen and you can sink 100s of hours in to fully support iOS as well as PC does more for its validity imo, than 'cheap' spin-offs which people pick on relentlessly for lacking buttons.

What is this Hex I keep hearing about? is it out yet?

PFD

I thought Hex was PC + MAC? If it's iOS too, maybe I should pledge...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Here's the thread, it's a F2P digital card game, basically a copy of MtG with a few extra features only possible in a digital only game. Has all sorts of drafting, etc. Due out around September I think.

"A few" includes a PvE part with loot and raids, equipment, socketed cards and more... :p

I thought Hex was PC + MAC? If it's iOS too, maybe I should pledge...

It was a stretch goal of the kickstarter, it's now also coming for iOS&android tablets.

Minsc

Gold Member
Should I bite on FFT?
Is it better than on PSP? Slowdowns?

There was a thread on the update and positive impressions here. No one in the thread has mentioned any slowdown, all the comments are about it being gone. It's still the same game as on PSP, with some minor differences for better or worse (no multi, less slowdown, newer features, lack of ability to use CFW and patch it with harder AI). The game is of course a classic, but not everyone takes to strategy rpgs the same.

heringer

Absolutely. One doesn't nullify the other though. Both proves in some way the validity of the platform.

J0dy77

I think I may have to bend and get FFT. Is it truly worth it?

Great game and really worth the effort to get into. I lost the save files on my iPhone after 50 hours of gameplay. My only gripe is there isn't iCloud sync for save files.

I'm not sure if anyone has both versions of the game but I'd suggest the iphone version. Playing in 2x looks basically the same as the ipad version and you get to play on your phone if you want to.

Edit: just saw that they added iCloud support. Damn I wish that was there a long time ago.

Kinyou

While I regard ios as a legit platform I don't really feel like a game like this belongs on a mobile platform. I only see disadvantages compared to putting it on something stationary.

I'm just popping in to say the KOTOR port is awesome. The movement controls are wonky but it wasn't perfect on the Xbox either. I'm about 6 hrs. in and I'm about to leave to the first planet Tarsis, and it's constantly bringing back fond memories of playing it on my Xbox during college. It's definitely $10 well spent.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Curious how the iOS ports of FF3j and FF4 came out. I know they are a bit pricey, but did the visuals get overhauled a bit from the DS games? Anything lost or lacking?

Very much debating double-dipping on them.

I'm not sure if anyone has both versions of the game but I'd suggest the iphone version. Playing in 2x looks basically the same as the ipad version and you get to play on your phone if you want to.

Does the iPhone version have the overhauled graphics that were just added to the iPad version?

SmokyDave

Just discovered Downhill Supreme. On the one hand, it's another Trials-esque game. On the other hand, it has proper mountain bike licensed parts to unlock.

GoTY.

Milabrega

Thanks for the heads up on Anodia being free today, hadn't heard of it before and the game is nice. Really excited for Kingdom Rush Frontiers, $3 is perfect still get so much out of the original, probably my favorite title on ios.

Talon

Couldn't say no to Final Fantasy Tactics at that price. Hopefully the new graphics are as good as they say.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Curious how the iOS ports of FF3j and FF4 came out. I know they are a bit pricey, but did the visuals get overhauled a bit from the DS games? Anything lost or lacking?

Very much debating double-dipping on them.

PLaying 4 now, it's very good. Not a jot different from the DS as far as I can tell, but there is a new hard difficulty mode that wasn't in the old one. Looks exactly the same, but strangely nice on the big iPad screen.

SteveWD40

I hope to fuck these changes are coming to the iOS version, even if it's a paid IAP:

Knights of Pen and Paper +1 on Steam

The +1 Edition includes these all new features:

New dungeons to explore with monsters, traps, treasures, and powerful bosses
The Tavern, a place to stash heroes and switch out party members
More options for characters to implement during battles, adding more depth and variation to fights
Extended campaign filled with lots of new content

SuluDance

Banned
I just want to say that I really enjoy our little forum here. It's impossible to go over to touch arcade to read about a game. Everyone there right now is complaining and bitching about the price of KingdomRush and the cost of IAP.

krYlon

deep-dungeons-of-doom-2.jpg

This little game was released today and I decided to check it out since it's for free... first of all I'm bit disappointed it's not resized for iPhone 5 I thought Apple would be a bit strict on releasing new apps like that oh well.

But it's a fun take on Dungeon Crawling, you whack attacks at your enemies (attack has a cooldown period) and need to time the blocks right - exploration, equipment, everything is streamlined a lot but just look how adorable this game looks. You've got different jobs and the game itself is quite unforgiving - it's not as easy as it looks.

Now, give Half Minute Hero on iOS :O

EDIT: Of course it's called Deep Dungeons of Doom :O I forgot to include the name, sorry I'm silly! Thanks Pray For death for clarifying this

This game is extremely charming. It has a wonderful soundtrack.

Not sure how long the gameplay will stay interesting for though.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
There was a thread on the update and positive impressions here. No one in the thread has mentioned any slowdown, all the comments are about it being gone. It's still the same game as on PSP, with some minor differences for better or worse (no multi, less slowdown, newer features, lack of ability to use CFW and patch it with harder AI). The game is of course a classic, but not everyone takes to strategy rpgs the same.

Cool, thanks for clearing my doubts! Definitely interested now. Hopefully they'll also bring over the Advance games.
In the end War of the Lions is similar to a remake of the PSX's game, right?

Anybody so kind to gift me the game (US account)? I'll PayPal the money in advance, PayPal's fees are on me of course.
Or you can sell me a $10 iTunes card.

Cool, thanks for clearing my doubts! Definitely interested now. Hopefully they'll also bring over the Advance games.
In the end War of the Lions is similar to a remake of the PSX's game, right?

Anybody so kind to gift me the game (US account)? I'll PayPal the money in advance, PayPal's fees are on me of course.
Or you can sell me a $10 iTunes card.

I can gift it to you when I get home (in 2-3 hours) if no one else does by then.

jtb

Banned
Great. With cloud save now in I'm playing the blown up iPhone app so I can hop back and forth. Totally recommended.

awesome, thanks. actually the fact that you have the iPhone app and it's playing well is even more comforting; I'll just get that one.

PittaGAF

I'm curious.
Does iCloud in FFT allow to use BOTH the HD version and the 'normal' one synced?
Because if not....how many people own multiple iPhones or multiple iPasd???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom