• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS/tvOS Gaming November 2015 | Out of your pocket, into your living room

awp69

^^^

There's a Gamecock in the house? A USC grad? No!!! I didn't go to Clemson but have lived in the Upstate on and off for the last 20+ years. So have become a big Tigers fan. So I'd bet you aren't happy seeing them in the running for the championship.

Before trying the easy mode (which is totally legit and understandable of course) you might want to try the cemetery mode.
Normal difficulty but in the following runs you will find your previous un succeful runs ships with the whole load out.
After some bad runs...sequent ones will be greatly easier because you will find resources and ships when you previously died along the way.

Worth a try imho to retain the thrill of the original game.

You can always activate easy mode later in case it didn't work.

I'll give that a shot. I'm a wuss but that could be a good compromise.

Seems like a pretty weak Wednesday outside of The Room 3 and the Out There update. Maybe we'll get some surprises when 11pm comes around

Besides To Be Or Not To Be, what are the other recommended Tin Man Games gamebooks? I recently got into the more old-school gamebooks and the Fighting Fantasy games look Ike the best options.

^^^

There's a Gamecock in the house? A USC grad? No!!! I didn't go to Clemson but have lived in the Upstate on and off for the last 20+ years. So have become a big Tigers fan. So I'd bet you aren't happy seeing them in the running for the championship.

I'll give that a shot. I'm a wuss but that could be a good compromise.

I'm from the upstate too (went to USC, still in cola and working here)

I honestly feel like the tigers will win it all and beat us by 97 points in the process at year's end.

Oh, OH!

Card Crawl follow-up is a card-based heist game, and it has an early prototype to check out. Here's the Pocket Tactics thread:
http://pockettactics.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4269/card-thief-card-crawl-follow-up-prototype

Prototype link
http://tinytouchtales.com/prototype/cardthief/

sneak.gif
woof.gif

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Speaking of updates, Downwell just received an update and now my controller won't work with it! I was also reading the reviews of it and one of them specifically points out No icade support.. But the controller was working! Sorta confusing.

awp69

I'm from the upstate too (went to USC, still in cola and working here)

I honestly feel like the tigers will win it all and beat us by 97 points in the process at year's end.

LOL. I hope Clemson goes all the way....not so sure about those 97 points against the Gamecocks (although you guys have had a rough year).

Originally a Yankee here (outside of Philly), but I like it here in Greenville. Nice to see another South Carolinian!

dock

Speaking of updates, Downwell just received an update and now my controller won't work with it! I was also reading the reviews of it and one of them specifically points out No icade support.. But the controller was working! Sorta confusing.

Oh, that really sucks!

dock

I use AirPlay occasionally with my 6s Plus and the lag there at least is significantly lower with the ATV4. Almost none (seems to depend on the game to an extent). It does seem to degrade over time, but I've been pretty happy with how it works. Usually I'm using it to show other people a mobile game - so for that purpose it's fine. :D

I was trying to play action games such as Sonic 2 and Downwell, and the lag was unbearable. I wonder whether it's better on the iPhone 6S Plus, but it seems like a low priority for Apple.

I was hoping that the MFi gamepad + iOS device + Airplay could give me access to a good library of games that could be played on the TV. As it stands, the MFi controller doesn't seem worthwhile just yet.

KtSlime

I'm having some problems with square enix games (Final Fantasy 5 and 6). They no longer respect my language settings, is anyone else experiencing this?

Emarv

Oh, OH!

Card Crawl follow-up is a card-based heist game, and it has an early prototype to check out. Here's the Pocket Tactics thread:
http://pockettactics.vanillaforums.com/discussion/4269/card-thief-card-crawl-follow-up-prototype

Prototype link
http://tinytouchtales.com/prototype/cardthief/

sneak.gif
woof.gif

Oh My God. I'm 1000% about this. I love that studio, but also I like to work on small card projects on the side on my own and have been messing with a card-based heist game for a few months now. This looks awesome and nothing like my concept.

Oh My God. I'm 1000% about this. I love that studio, but also I like to work on small card projects on the side on my own and have been messing with a card-based heist game for a few months now. This looks awesome and nothing like my concept.
I'm curious, how was your concept going to work? I'm all into card game hybrids now thanks to Card Crawl, Donsol, Dream Quest, etc.

awp69

So I guess Galaxy on Fire 3 : Manticore Rising (prequel to the upcoming full game) is out now on Apple TV.

Any of you Apple TV owners give it a try yet?

Emarv

My concept involved more of planning stages. Basically going through 3 phases, roughly 1) "Breaking in", 2) "Stealing/Dealing with Guards/Complications", 3) "Escape".

It's more a modern take on bank heists. I'm not a game designer, though. Just a hobbyist student with too much time on his hands, so I'm still super early.

I'm having trouble playing this game in browser. It's not reading my swipes to end turns. Don't know if it's BetterTouchTool on Mac getting in the way or what, but it's really finicky. Still love this team and this concept.

EDIT: My mistake. I wasn't clicking and holding to swipe. Dummy Emarv.

My concept involved more of planning stages. Basically going through 3 phases, roughly 1) "Breaking in", 2) "Stealing/Dealing with Guards/Complications", 3) "Escape".

It's more a modern take on bank heists. I'm not a game designer, though. Just a hobbyist student with too much time on his hands, so I'm still super early.

I'm having trouble playing this game in browser. It's not reading my swipes to end turns. Don't know if it's BetterTouchTool on Mac getting in the way or what, but it's really finicky. Still love this team and this concept.
You're on PC? You need to hold on the player card then drag in the direction your first move is.

killercow

I've just tried some games over HDMI (with the lightning connector) and it works better than before. Almost no noticeable lag! Played well with Dead Effect 2 and Downwell.

pronk420

Yeah that looks cool, shame the alpha doesn't work on iPad (I think?).

Anyone tried mavenfall? It looks slightly too similar to hearthstone in the graphics in some ways.

Heel

I noticed from my AppZapp that the board game Stratego got a big 4.0 update and has gone F2P as Stratego Multiplayer. Can't say much for the F2P scheme (appears to be nothing offered beyond "coins"), but the art refresh looks really nice.

screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
I've just tried some games over HDMI (with the lightning connector) and it works better than before. Almost no noticeable lag! Played well with Dead Effect 2 and Downwell.

are you comparing this to AirPlay? What device (I have a 6s)

killercow

are you comparing this to AirPlay? What device (I have a 6s)

I'm comparing this to HDMI pre iOS 9.1 where even over HDMI it was laggy. It feels better now though I haven't tested that in a while.

Airplay (wireless) has always been a mess and without a very good router and a very good wifi the lag is horrendous.

Device: iPad Air 2.

Aurizen

Digimon Heroes is suppose to come out Fall 2015 so hopefully this month is the release month for global. also Zodiac Orcanon Odyssey is gonna be paid, not sure how much but I hope its in the $1.99-$2.99 range haha.

Yeah the iOS threads were growing exponentially each month, but I'm afraid the name change has stifled our growth :(

Why? People don't know that Apple make iOS?
Think it was a bad choice? Changed the name because the OT is including Apple TV stuff now, but perhaps sticking to the usual iOS Gaming name is better. I could always just edit the opening paragraph to reflect that

Most Apple TV compatible games are iOS games anyway

ElyrionX

I think it's a bad idea to have a new thread every month. I have to re-subscribe every month and sometimes I forget and the thread just drops off the radar.

I think it's a bad idea to have a new thread every month. I have to re-subscribe every month and sometimes I forget and the thread just drops off the radar.
That's how all the platform threads are (Steam, PSN, Games With Gold,), plus the Indie Games and others.

Plus, you can set your preferences to auto-subscribe to any thread you post in

If this months thread and Decembers thread doesn't get many hits maybe we should change the title back.

We'll wait and see though, there is supposedly a lot of good games coming out by the end of the year so that should pump up traffic back to normal levels.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
change the thread title to iOS/Apple gaming?

Most Apple TV compatible games are iOS games anyway

eh, for the platform to succeed.. people have to get away from this. While they share the same base OS, ultimately an iOS game is not a tvOS game and vice versa.. Any dev who thinks so is probably going to release a less-than-stellar title.. the differences between the remote and the touch screen are substantial.

colinp

Banned
I think titling the thread iOS gaming makes more sense. Include AppleTV in the meanwhile and if it actually becomes something worth discussing a great deal more then we can start a new thread or something.

eh, for the platform to succeed.. people have to get away from this. While they share the same base OS, ultimately an iOS game is not a tvOS game and vice versa.. Any dev who thinks so is probably going to release a less-than-stellar title.. the differences between the remote and the touch screen are substantial.

Exactly. don't think tvOS needs a separate thread, but they're not just iOS games on a bigger screen.

poor watchOS
Does anyone actually play anything on an Apple Watch? Not only would you need to keep your arm in an uncomfortable position for an extended period of time, the screen is just too small

Like people like to complain about the size of an iPhone screen, but trying to play something on a watch face is really silly

Top Bottom