• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS/tvOS Gaming November 2015 | Out of your pocket, into your living room

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I haven't had that experience with direct downloads. Just yesterday I updated Lumino City and Dead Effect 2. Both failed even after creating a ton of space. There have been a few apps that appear to do just what needs to be updated, but the vast majority seem to require a download in the same range of the total app size even for a minor fix.

Actually, if you do a sync then you don't need that space. But I am too lazy to do iTunes syncs ;)

Downloads still reserve full "app size" space temporarily in order to copy/re-compress the updated app before replacing the older installed version so to speak as far as I understand. This is so that in the event of an update failing mid-download it doesn't corrupt the previous version that's installed.

awp69

Downloads still reserve full "app size" space temporarily in order to copy/re-compress the updated app before replacing the older installed version so to speak as far as I understand. This is so that in the event of an update failing mid-download it doesn't corrupt the previous version that's installed.

Makes sense but still a pain.

A really fun game jam entry from Juicy Beast (Knightmare Tower)

I really hope they expand it into something bigger

Right Click To Necromance

EM4PQH.gif

awp69

Find it very odd that Kobojo, the dev of Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey, apparently has no plans to release the game in Asian Pacific countries, including Japan.

I get that they may not have the resources to localize it, but it's a JRPG. And while there are few people in English speaking countries that know Japanese, I'd be willing to bet that there are a good number of people in Japan that know at least some English.

I’ve played several rounds of Tiny Rogue and generally like what I’ve seen so far.

Controls are simple: swipe to move, swipe to attack, tap your inventory to use items. When you move, enemies move too. But you might have the same reaction I did when the tutorial tips ended: “Wait, it didn’t tell me how to skip a turn, and that dude one square away is going to shiv me if I walk up to him. So... do I just tap my character or something?” *tap tap tap… tap tap tap*

Well, you can’t choose to pass your turn, unfortunately. That means that if an enemy is one square away from you and you want to get close to attack it, you have two choices: use an item from your inventory, which ends your turn without movement, or approach the enemy and let it get the first hit on you. I didn’t like this at first, but it makes the game a bit more puzzle-like and forces you to do some strict resource management. There’s also a little leeway since you regenerate some health upon descending to a new dungeon level. (I do wish the game had a toggleable grid to facilitate gauging the distance between myself and an enemy... maybe that'll come along in an update or something.)

The levels are indeed very tiny, and the art style is pretty cute. The focus is on score, rather than reaching the end of the dungeon (there is no end); you get points for descending through levels, dispatching enemies, and picking up treasure chests. Once you die, you get a brief tally of your performance and a retry button - no choice but to jump right back in and give it another go! Runs tend to be quick because of how compact the levels are, so this seems like a pretty rad game to play if you've got a few minutes to kill.

Hi folks,

I'm a production coordinator @ Six Foot Kid, the developers of Forgotten Forest: Afterlife.

Just thought I'd chime in to let everybody know that we released version 1.0.1 this week which included some crucial fixes but also added the option for players to switch off the hint system (this was based on feedback we received from players).

To celebrate both the new update and Friday the 13th, Forgotten Forest: Afterlife is on sale this weekend!

Appstore link: http://on.fb.me/1kQSFBm

If you have any questions about the game, I'm always lurking around GAF!

I’ve played several rounds of Tiny Rogue and generally like what I’ve seen so far.

Controls are simple: swipe to move, swipe to attack, tap your inventory to use items. When you move, enemies move too. But you might have the same reaction I did when the tutorial tips ended: “Wait, it didn’t tell me how to skip a turn, and that dude one square away is going to shiv me if I walk up to him. So... do I just tap my character or something?” *tap tap tap… tap tap tap*

Well, you can’t choose to pass your turn, unfortunately.
Yeah, quite a few roguelikes with that design. More puzzle-roguelikes than traditional ones. Hoplite, Ending, 868-Hack. Games like that rely on the player using the knowledge at hand to plan ahead

Yeah, quite a few roguelikes with that design. More puzzle-roguelikes than traditional ones. Hoplite, Ending, 868-Hack. Games like that rely on the player using the knowledge at hand to plan ahead

Ah, that's fair. I have to plead ignorance as I haven't played most of them. :(

okno

Well, you can’t choose to pass your turn, unfortunately. That means that if an enemy is one square away from you and you want to get close to attack it, you have two choices: use an item from your inventory, which ends your turn without movement, or approach the enemy and let it get the first hit on you. I didn’t like this at first, but it makes the game a bit more puzzle-like and forces you to do some strict resource management. There’s also a little leeway since you regenerate some health upon descending to a new dungeon level. (I do wish the game had a toggleable grid to facilitate gauging the distance between myself and an enemy... maybe that'll come along in an update or something.)

The levels are indeed very tiny, and the art style is pretty cute. The focus is on score, rather than reaching the end of the dungeon (there is no end); you get points for descending through levels, dispatching enemies, and picking up treasure chests. Once you die, you get a brief tally of your performance and a retry button - no choice but to jump right back in and give it another go! Runs tend to be quick because of how compact the levels are, so this seems like a pretty rad game to play if you've got a few minutes to kill.

You just made Tiny Rogue a must have for me. Sounds just like Hoplite, and I need more Hoplite in my life.

You just made Tiny Rogue a must have for me. Sounds just like Hoplite, and I need more Hoplite in my life.
Played it a bit of Tiny Rogue, and it's fun, but nowhere near as tactical as Hoplite. Hoplite, you knew exactly where enemies could move and attack, you can plan each move perfectly with the knowledge you had and finish a level unscathed due to your strategic prowess. Tiny Rogue is more random, and you will get hit and find yourself in unfair positions.

But don't let that dissuade, it's still a fun little roguelike

Somewhat agree with the Tiny Rogue sentiment, it's a fun little rouge-like but there's not too much meat to it and it can get unfair sometimes.

If you're still down for more of The Ensign, it just got a cryptic update
Wanderer lore speaks of a god mode. They say you have to refuse food and complete the journey. They say great power will be given if done so.

Conquer, and become a god.

This War of Mine got an update and now works on iPhone. Anyone tried it on a 6/6S? Good way to play it or should I go for the Steam version?

RustyO

Thought I'd post this here in case of interest to anyone...

Native Instruments just dropped iMaschine v2

It's on sale, $5 till 1st December (Normally $10), and you can grab all 36 expansions in one pack for a $1 as well. (Normally $10)

Main thing for me is "Step Mode" as the lack of that in v1 meant I never even used it much.

Just nabbed it, because, hey, why not?

Nyx

It's on sale, $5 till 1st December (Normally $10), and you can grab all 36 expansions in one pack for a $1 as well. (Normally $10)

Main thing for me is "Step Mode" as the lack of that in v1 meant I never even used it much.

That's pretty cool! But I don't think I would use it much on my iPhone.
I'll just stick to Reason on my PC.

okno

Wish this had been an update to the first app, but oh well. Might buy it. Could be a good companion app to Reason. It has everything that made iMaschine 1.0 mostly useless to me, but I dunno. Going to wait for some reviews to come in before committing more money to another music app that I'll use once and never touch again.

That thread is actually making me excited for the Neogaf Mobile game awards. Gonna be some steep competition this year.

Also, I hope Downwell wins too.
Forgot about that. Never got around to putting together the Results thread for 2014. Won't make that mistake this year

The top five were:
1) Monument Valley
2) Threes
3) 80 Days
4) Hitman Go
5) Hearthstone

What's depressing is that there was no Simogo game this year to make it into my top 5. SPL wasn't bad but I want another novel-like experience from them. :(

PittaGAF

I know I'm super late to the party, but Don't Starve on iOS is SPECTACULAR.
Even better than on PC imho.
Not a PC gamer anymore but tried Klei games on Steam (they are all free for the weekend)....Don't Starve sucked me in and after a hour I immediately bought it on iOS.
Hours were lost.

I know I'm super late to the party, but Don't Starve on iOS is SPECTACULAR.
Even better than on PC imho.
Not a PC gamer anymore but tried Klei games on Steam (they are all free for the weekend)....Don't Starve sucked me in and after a hour I immediately bought it on iOS.
Hours were lost.
Invisible Inc needed to come to iPad like yesterday. It would be perfect for touch. Perfect, I tell you

awp69

Anyone tried out the JRPG that's featured right now? Zodiac: Orcanon Odyssey

http://zodiac.kobojo.com/en/home

https://itunes.apple.com/app/zodiac-orcanon-odyssey/id933199580?ls=1&mt=8

Seems to have some high level pedigree devs working on it.

I have. I'm really enjoying it so far. It's not perfect. Could use things like area maps (most are Metrovania like so it can get confusing) and better save system (currently have to reach the next health "orb" and those can be a while between two of them). Also have had a few crashes and there's an odd lack of any sound effects other than music in cut scenes.

The artwork is fantastic and the battle system is fun and strategic. I think they could have fleshed things out a bit more before release. The devs seem very committed to make tweaks and fixes though.

And I'm still having a blast with it after probably 3 hours of playing (supposedly this is just the first installment but still has 10+ hours of gameplay).

PittaGAF

Invisible Inc needed to come to iPad like yesterday. It would be perfect for touch. Perfect, I tell you

I thought the whole point of that game was that it was supposed to come to mobile at some point. Devs alluded to it quite a bit when it was first revealed.

I think it's a no brainer that it eventually will be ported.

Anyway....the port of Don't Starve is amazing, they nailed down everything down to flawless iCloud sync.
Feels like a native game and imho plays much better on iOS than sitting in front of a PC (but maybe it's me, I can't stand it anymore).

Didn't buy it back in the days because wasn't sure I could like the game but I'm totally sucked in this weird and deadly world.

Top Bottom