• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS/tvOS Gaming November 2015 | Out of your pocket, into your living room

PittaGAF

That little strategy game they included in the Star Wars Battlefront companion app is surprisingly fun.

Yeah it's really great.
Too bad I completed everything already...waiting for the 17 when the console game will be out...apparently they will unlock Base Command levels 9-50 (!!!!!!).

I wish it was a stand alone game tough....I can't play SW Battlefront so apparently I can't unlock any special card, no matter how many credits I have (and having 3 starred everything, I have them all).

Does anybody have any recommendations for a Family Guy/Simpsons/Tiny Tower/Pixel People type game where you build things that generate resources needed to build more of things. I could use a good "set it and forget it" game. I stopped playing Family Guy and Simpsons due to their constant need to buy things to enjoy the game. Tiny Tower and Pixel People were a lot of fun, but they have stopped updating.

Matt Frost

Does anybody have any recommendations for a Family Guy/Simpsons/Tiny Tower/Pixel People type game where you build things that generate resources needed to build more of things. I could use a good "set it and forget it" game. I stopped playing Family Guy and Simpsons due to their constant need to buy things to enjoy the game. Tiny Tower and Pixel People were a lot of fun, but they have stopped updating.

Yes, FallOut Shelter is the best one, fair IAP not like those others money grabbing games and with lots of things to do.

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
I think it's a no brainer that it eventually will be ported.

Anyway....the port of Don't Starve is amazing, they nailed down everything down to flawless iCloud sync.
Feels like a native game and imho plays much better on iOS than sitting in front of a PC (but maybe it's me, I can't stand it anymore).

Didn't buy it back in the days because wasn't sure I could like the game but I'm totally sucked in this weird and deadly world.

I love the game and played tons on PC, always tried to dodge the ios version cause I thought hey you got everything on your PC.. but I guess you play on iPad? I only game on iPhone 6 so I am not sure if the experience would be so great on a small display.

Maybe the Kairosoft games like Epic Astro Story, just look for the company name in google or ios store, they have tons of similar games, not sure if those still get fresh updates though.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Don't Starve is great but i do wish they included a casual mode where i could keep building and not have such a rogue-y experience with the game.

PittaGAF

I love the game and played tons on PC, always tried to dodge the ios version cause I thought hey you got everything on your PC.. but I guess you play on iPad? I only game on iPhone 6 so I am not sure if the experience would be so great on a small display.

I'm playing on both iPad Air and iPhone 6S.
I think I sunk 4 hours straight yesterday on iPhone 6S alone....it's that good.
IMHO it plays wonderfully on iPhone.

Of course I keep dying....but every time I see a ton of different things and I'm learning more and more...each 'run' feels faster for the starting days...then I die for something new or I starve (I have yet to optimize the farms and hunters things).
So far I'm having a real blast...can't wait to hit the story mode....I started finding weird devices and such....
Unlocked 3 characters already but I think I'll stick with the starting one for now...also I'm disabling the expansion because it's too difficult for me.

My only 'problem' with the game (a good problem to have tough) is that this is no casual game.
AT ALL.
A game can last a lot and it's very demanding....I really feel fully immersed (till I die :)).

BTW....If anyone is wondering (I know I did when reading about the game before buying) the game perfectly saves...they probably added this with some patches....but the game always save, you can even manual save on pause.
iCloud sync works flawlessly too.

Yes, FallOut Shelter is the best one, fair IAP not like those others money grabbing games and with lots of things to do.

Cool, I'll check that out. Do I need to have played any of the Fallout games to enjoy it? Somehow I never got into that series.

Maybe the Kairosoft games like Epic Astro Story, just look for the company name in google or ios store, they have tons of similar games, not sure if those still get fresh updates though.

I just downloaded Mega Mall Story. Having fun so far, but it seems that you actually have to be playing the game to get any progress. Do you know if their other games are more "set and forget?"

Matt Frost

Cool, I'll check that out. Do I need to have played any of the Fallout games to enjoy it? Somehow I never got into that series.

No, you dont really need to know anything about it. It helps a bit if you do because you will be more prepared but nothing to worry about.

Forgot about that. Never got around to putting together the Results thread for 2014. Won't make that mistake this year

The top five were:
1) Monument Valley
2) Threes
3) 80 Days
4) Hitman Go
5) Hearthstone

What a killer top 5. Every single one of those games is top notch and most really showcase the platform.

I game mostly on PC and love dabbling in iOS, and Monument Valley was my top game last year on any platform, if that's any indication for people that haven't played it.

PittaGAF

Don't Starve is great but i do wish they included a casual mode where i could keep building and not have such a rogue-y experience with the game.

I didn't try it but I was told that in the option you can tweak EVERYTHING and, if you wish, make the game extremely easy with no enemies etc...
If you are interested in the building aspect only, you might want to check those options.

No kidding anyway, the game is brutal.
I've already made plans for tonight run....I know this will be the 'great one'!!!! (said before dying after 5 minutes).

-psygnosis-

Neo Member
BTW....If anyone is wondering (I know I did when reading about the game before buying) the game perfectly saves...they probably added this with some patches....but the game always save, you can even manual save on pause.
iCloud sync works flawlessly too.

god damn it, I will buy if there will be a sale then...

I just downloaded Mega Mall Story. Having fun so far, but it seems that you actually have to be playing the game to get any progress. Do you know if their other games are more "set and forget?"

It's some time ago I played those, sorry, guess they still revolve a lot around actually doing stuff, how about tap titans, have you tried that, you basically have a little hero that will grind monsters for you.

Btw we got the new mega iPad at work today, that thing is huge..

This looks like a cool December release
Planet Diver, coming 12/1
8.jpg
7.jpg

Matt Frost

^^^ Indeed that looks awesome. Very awesome. Reminded me of the crazy funny Super Mole Escape. Hope is premium. Otherwise it releases on Steam as well... but the real question is... will Destiny The Taken King let me?

Ninja Dom

Hi guys, have any of you seen any realistic but good stock-broking games or simulators?

I'd really like to get into this for real but would like a realistic simulator or game to learn from.

EDIT: Just downloaded BUX. Free. Offers Apple Watch app, works in real time with real stocks using play currency (or upgrade to real currency). Seems good so far.

screen322x572.jpeg

awp69

^^ Don't know much about it, but there's a game called Trader's Way that looks like it has decent reviews. There's a lite version too.

colinp

Banned
Anyone seen this yet?

Tales of a Viking: Episode One by Dmitry Sadovnikov
https://appsto.re/us/ZiJ_8.i

Supposed to be very reminiscent of Hoplite, just with more content. Some good impressions on the TouchArcade forums

Alright it's pretty awesome. It's exactly Hoplite but with a few extra things tacked on, including a story (with poor English translation) and a rage meter that lets you use your abilities more often.

And coolest of all you soon get to take control of another guy so you have TWO people to worry about. It's pretty great.

JCho133

Alright it's pretty awesome. It's exactly Hoplite but with a few extra things tacked on, including a story (with poor English translation) and a rage meter that lets you use your abilities more often.

And coolest of all you soon get to take control of another guy so you have TWO people to worry about. It's pretty great.

Awesome, I'll be sure to throw down on it once I put some cash on my account

Mage Gauntlet was good and Wayward Souls was great, so I had to pick up Five Card Quest.

I'm a pretty big fan of strategic games that implement a degree of luck, like random card draws. But I can't help feeling that the difficulty in this really hampers the strategy element.

I can carefully move my heroes around to spread the damage, preventing it when possible, but there's ultimately too many enemy encounters that increase in difficulty (in terms of amount of enemies per encounter, damage they do, speed in which they do damage) while your heroes just stagnate. The very minor upgrades you can get for heroes seem pretty nominal. You can stack gold decently, but what I've been able to buy so far hasn't seemed all that game changing.

There's also no progression saved between attempts, which is more in line with traditional roguelikes than most games that borrow the term. I don't think that it helps here, since the story is extremely bare bones. That draw to keep pushing for something would greatly benefit the game.

I like hard games. I like games that force you to conform to what it is putting out there. Without a draw to keep coming back and with a heavily skewed difficulty curve, this one will wind up being one of those fun little time wasters that you play on the can or waiting in an uncomfortable chair for your name to be called. Unfortunate, because the core game is so good.

Rocketcat plans to take the core gameplay and expand on it in a bigger sequel. More story driven, more cards, etc.

This would be great. Hopefully, they'll put a quick balance update to this version to make it a little more feasible.

I'm definitely double-dipping on Wayward Souls when it hits Steam. A good third of my deaths are due to my own inability to overcome non-analog inputs, despite the fact that it one of the best control schemes for an action-y game on iOS that I've ever played.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Just got a testflight invite to try out One Button Travel from TheCodingMonkeys. It's an interactive fiction game in the vein of Outcast, pretty good so far. Will give some impressions when I'm a bit further in.

PittaGAF

Just got a testflight invite to try out One Button Travel from TheCodingMonkeys. It's an interactive fiction game in the vein of Outcast, pretty good so far. Will give some impressions when I'm a bit further in.

Beat me to it. Will post impressions soon

Game is releasing November 26th

I already completed it, it gets better and better the more you play.
It's pretty long too and has (two) super cool endings imho.

okno

Bought Don't Starve (finally) and absolutely love it! Really charming game that forces you to think ahead and form a plan to keep yourself not only alive, but sane and well-fed.

Going to double dip on PS3 and play on there until I get my 6s+, though. It works just fine on a 5s, but would I just want a bigger screen to be able to enjoy the visual better :)

PittaGAF

Bought Don't Starve (finally) and absolutely love it! Really charming game that forces you to think ahead and form a plan to keep yourself not only alive, but sane and well-fed.

Going to double dip on PS3 and play on there until I get my 6s+, though. It works just fine on a 5s, but would I just want a bigger screen to be able to enjoy the visual better :)

Since I bought it, I basically couldn't do anything else.
I'm in day 18 now...and I'm even scared to open the game fearing something nasty will happen to me.

They really nailed down the pace of the game....the more you play the more (generally nastier, but not only) things happen and you discover.
And every run or day passed, they add things on top of things.

What's worse about it compared to the previous Rayman games?

I know it's F2P, so does it have annoying IAP or did they mess with the gameplay or something?

it's mostly about collecting these monsters and feeding them through collectables and IAP. From what i've played, the platforming is pretty basic.

awp69

it's mostly about collecting these monsters and feeding them through collectables and IAP. From what i've played, the platforming is pretty basic.

That's sad. Platforming is what makes Rayman games so I don't know what made them want to minimize that aspect

----

Speaking of platformers, I'm enjoying Super Dangerous Dungeons so far. Kind of hoping the levels get longer and more complex though.

PittaGAF

For the ones interested, the Base Command miniature game inside the Star Wars Battlefront companion app just unlocked all the scenarios and sieges, 50!!!!
It's super cool, but not being able to unlock the new cards makes the game really difficult now...those Tie Advanced with the First Strike ability are damn hard.

EDIT: Wow the Slave I is awesome!!!

Last Horizon is really good. Great atmosphere and a great sense of exploration. The controls are Lunar Lander-esque, as you need to manage your thruster and rotation

The challenge comes from the variety of space hazards. Asteroid field, comets, black holes, mountain ranges, oceans, and lava on planets. And that's before alien defenses are introduced

Your fuel and oxygen is limited, so maintain those resources is important too

Another Pixeljam success

kennah

Finally back in the iOS field after 14 months of trying android. Got my friends 5s. Took a look through the op and can't wait to catch up

Jaagen

Just got an iPhone after juming from Windows Phone(a great OS without a future, unfortunately) and I am catching up on some games that I missed.

One of the games I do want to play is Final Fantasy Tactics(I never owned a PSP back in the day) and I was wondering it the iOS port is worth the investment(it's a bit "expensive" compared to other games)?

Top Bottom