• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 4S |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double D

Technosteve said:
Get woz on the podcast!
Yeah you should've gone down there with Will and Norm doing 'coverage' of the launch and you could have just 'stumbled upon' him. Next thing you know he's at the whiskey offices as a guest on the Octoberkast. Total creep style but you've got to appreciate the effectiveness, lol.

bdZ9Wl.jpg

Fuck Rogers, I'm now at Yorkdale (Toronto). 30-35 ish in line now...

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
JackEtc said:
LOL Oh god. Tomorrow is UPS's day to deliver my iPhone, but also FedEx's day to deliver my Woot order of 48 glowsticks
KuGsj.gif

I just hope the FedEx guy doesn't come first and get confused by the note saying I can't sign for the package, and end up taking the note.

Why don't you write: UPS on the note?

AlphaTwo00 said:
bdZ9Wl.jpg

holy crap the line is started already? What time do they open? Good luck dude. Hope you brought long johns and an umbrella. lol

my last ups update is this: Anchorage, AK, United States 10/13/2011 14:38

That was about 14 hours ago Alaska Time. Gonna make it to Toronto in time for tomorrow?!?!?!

So I've restored from the previous backup and connected to my wi-fi router for a lack of cellular service. Now it wants me to sign in with my Apple ID, and it just sits there for a minute before saying that connecting to the server failed. Awesome.

Evlar

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
So I've restored from the previous backup and connected to my wi-fi router for a lack of cellular service. Now it wants me to sign in with my Apple ID, and it just sits there for a minute before saying that connecting to the server failed. Awesome.
Apple may not have flipped the switch yet, considering you guys are living in the future.

criesofthepast said:
holy crap the line is started already? What time do they open? Good luck dude. Hope you brought long johns and an umbrella. lol

my last ups update is this: Anchorage, AK, United States 10/13/2011 14:38

That was about 14 hours ago Alaska Time. Gonna make it to Toronto in time for tomorrow?!?!?!
Eaton Center downtown was at 100+ 2 hours ago. I've got a MBP on a full charge tethered to the iPhone + 3DS/PSP just as backup entertainment. Should last me till 8AM.

Went to the Powell Street Apple store in San Francisco earlier this evening. So far, there were only 2 people in line, but local news interviewed the first guy in like.

All was calm inside the store but I have no doubts that it'll all change once they set up for tomorrow.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
No way.. that is a crossover of epic proportions!

Did Woz know who Gary was?

Evlar

Banned
JackEtc said:
From Gary's Google+ (I don't know if he wanted to post it or not, don't be pissed at me man!)

11%2B-%2B1

Awesome.
Damn. There's as much nerd power in that pic as the typical Comic-Con.

Decided to hold off on a new phone for now, car shit is getting in the way, and my 3GS isn't that much of a piece of shit yet. But I walked by a Sprint store today, and if they were open, I would've been awfully tempted to have a chat with a rep.

AlphaTwo00 said:
bdZ9Wl.jpg

As much as I agree with your sentiment, looking at that line makes me glad I reserved one from Rogers (even if i get it latter).

X-Frame

When I grab my iPhone 4S tomorrow, I want to test out the iCloud back-up so that it'll be identical to my iPhone 4 without syncing it.

I assume in order for that to happen, I'd need to do an iCloud back-up via the Settings right before I turn my iPhone 4 off for the last time?

BocoDragon

ConradCervantes said:
iOS 5? I think the third and fourth gen versions are eligible, my second-gen sadly is stuck at 4.2.1.
Same... I have a 3G and a 2g Touch, so no iOS5 or iCloud tinkering till I get my 4S :(

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
criesofthepast said:
Just noticed UPS updated the estimated delivery time to Monday, 10/17/2011, by 12:00

Wow... sorry.

Fed Ex still says delivery by 3:00 for me tomorrow, but I don't see it in transit yet. I may be joining the pity party soon.

Am I supposed to update my shitty 3G to iOS5 before I sync it for the 4S? Or will the sync be just fine?

I remember I has issues going from a 3GS sync to the 3G, but I assume that's because it was a downgrade?

Edit: Oh, from posts above apparently I can't do that anyway.

R-User!

6:32pm! Got dat tracking email from Verizon!

Mah bitches're in OntarimuthafuckinO, Ca with a delivery time of no later than 3pm tomorrow from Fed-ex!

Thank fuckin God I didn't have deal with USPS delivering on Monday like the uninformed customer service lady said this morning when I called Verizon to ask why I hadn't received any tracking emails like the other lucky chaps in this thread had!

I'm excited! White 64GB muthafuckin chocolate iPhone: Let me eat you! :p

Why does my iPhone auto correct woohoo as capital 'e' Elohim? What the hell is Elohim? 0_o

Fong Ghoul said:
Am I supposed to update my shitty 3G to iOS5 before I sync it for the 4S? Or will the sync be just fine?

I remember I has issues going from a 3GS sync to the 3G, but I assume that's because it was a downgrade?

Edit: Oh, from posts above apparently I can't do that anyway.

3G can't run iOS5, but it can be backed up for a restore on the 4S. Which is what I just did.

R-User! said:
Why does my iPhone auto correct woohoo as capital 'e' Elohim? What the hell is Elohim? 0_o

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Elohim

BocoDragon

What's the point of backing up old iPhones? Honest question. I wouldn't mind starting fresh on a new phone, contacts aside.

Fong Ghoul said:

You CANT upgrade a 3G to iOS5.

Just get the newest version of iTunes and backup your 3G.. that's as good as the backup will get.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
AlphaTwo00 said:
bdZ9Wl.jpg

Is that an Apple store? I'm getting worried I need to go earlier, now!

I just drove by my Verizon store 30 minutes ago and thankfully no one was camping outside yet.

Guardian Bob said:
As much as I agree with your sentiment, looking at that line makes me glad I reserved one from Rogers (even if i get it latter).
I'm still in their system 10XX. And after reading about all the hidden cost, I am bailing if I can.

If you are getting your phone from Rogers, it will be locked. Rogers is charging $50 to unlock it, even if you aren't buying with a contract/are done with your 3 year contract.

Goreomedy said:
Wow... sorry.

Fed Ex still says delivery by 3:00 for me tomorrow, but I don't see it in transit yet. I may be joining the pity party soon.
Yeah I figured it'd be cutting it close considering most here were always one step ahead of me.

My phone would be in China and theirs would be in Alaska. I'd be in Alaska and they'd arrived somewhere in Kentucky or LA.

I don't understand how it can't get here from Alaska by Saturday. Don't UPS deliver Saturday's in Canada?

One more weekend with this 3G. She can breathe a sigh of relief for now.

notsol337

marked forever
I work at Radio Shack, and there was a company-wide message that we are able to sell them at 8 am. I'll be in my location at 7.30 to prepare to open early, so anyone that didn't get to pre-order, there's a chance you might get the jump on people.

R-User!

Cheesemeister said:
I could've google'd it but it was more of an "in the middle of posting a reply on Gaf question" not a question that I had to have someone from Gaf answer necessarily with a sarcastic (but funny) answer; in other words it was more of a musing; a thinking out loud on screen expression of my thoughts about the curiousness of the correlation that iOS has between the word woohoo and Elohim.

Woohoo= expression of joy
Elohim= God

Strange huh?

RDreamer

entrement said:
3G owners are gonna be in for a treat. That'll be a huge upgrade. Speed, tons of features, retina display, Siri.

Hah, yeah. My wife's going to upgrade hers. It's not even a treat. It's going from virtually unusable to probably the best phone around. Her iPhone 3G now takes over two minutes sometimes to open up Facebook. When I went from my 3G to the 4 earlier this year it was light years better.

entrement said:
3G owners are gonna be in for a treat. That'll be a huge upgrade. Speed, tons of features, retina display, Siri.
Oh my god you have no idea. I had a 3GS for over a year, lost it, and went back to an old 3G a couple months ago. My wife has the 4, and I honestly think the 3 to 3GS was a bigger upgrade than 3GS to the 4. This thing is SO SLOW. I sometimes have to wait 4-5 seconds of "loading time" just to look at a new text message. 3G to 4S speed alone is going to be tremendous, and screen and SIRI are just a bonus for me.

I'm holding out on hype for Siri for now. Very skeptical despite huge praise from people I trust.

KHarvey16

My 3G has literally just made it to the end. This past week its battery has become terrible, to the point if I charge it up all evening and disconnect it before bed, I wake up to half a charge left. I think it knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom