• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

plidex

First time iPhone owner, iPhone 7 Plus 32GB Matte Black.

All of my phones have been mostly naked, but the iPhone scares me.

I want to avoid a case, but what glass screen protectors are considered the best? Do they really protect against cracks or only scratches?

I'll buy glass protector for the cameras too.

Kal

I want to avoid a case, but what glass screen protectors are considered the best? Do they really protect against cracks or only scratches?

I just bought a (relative) cheap one on Amazon for £4.99. Not sure glass protector is necessary for the camera but then I'm using a case.

I can't get live wallpapers to work - does anyone else have this issue? Also I noticed that the screen is quite warm compared to my iPhone 6 Plus. Or maybe my eyes are fooling me?

They do protect against shatters. It's best if you have a case though - with a case + a glass screen protector, unless the screen falls exactly on a corner of furniture or sharp rock or something you're very likely to be safe.

Unfortunately even with a screen protector, there are still parts of the phone which can smash the screen on impact as the phone has curved edges so no screen protector will cover the entire thing. Having a case on the phone will cover the remaining curves, limiting your angle of incidence hugely :p

plidex

I'm amazed at the speed and reliability of the fingerprint scanner, unlocking the phone is so fast compared to the pattern unlock of my HTC One.

I just bought a (relative) cheap one on Amazon for £4.99. Not sure glass protector is necessary for the camera but then I'm using a case.

I can't get live wallpapers to work - does anyone else have this issue? Also I noticed that the screen is quite warm compared to my iPhone 6 Plus. Or maybe my eyes are fooling me?

I wouldn't care about spending more, but that one has very good ratings and I have checked a couple protectors on Amazon that cost USD 30 - 40 and have mediocre reviews.

From what I can see, the live wallpaper only works on the lock screen, and only when you are pressing down, seems pretty useless so I went with a static one.

I don't know about the warmness, but you can change it if you permanently enable Night Shift?

They do protect against shatters. It's best if you have a case though - with a case + a glass screen protector, unless the screen falls exactly on a corner of furniture or sharp rock or something you're very likely to be safe.

Unfortunately even with a screen protector, there are still parts of the phone which can smash the screen on impact as the phone has curved edges so no screen protector will cover the entire thing. Having a case on the phone will cover the remaining curves, limiting your angle of incidence hugely :p

I'll have to think about the case, the iPhone's glass is too exposed, so any fall which isn't on its back will probably crack it. But I really dislike having a USD 900 phone covered by a USD 20 case.

It's a bit like having a Ferrari and putting a Ford body over it.

I bought a 5 euro case on ebay (Apple Leather copy) and I like it although it does kill the beautiful appearance of a jet black iPhone.

I ordered this tempered glass protector based on recommendations on an another forum:
http://s.aliexpress.com/mmUN3iEJ

I'll post reviews when it arrives. It's supposed to be excellent. I'm thinking about comboing it with slickwraps naked skin (dbrand doesn't ship where I live) for the pure jetblack look.

Kal

From what I can see, the live wallpaper only works on the lock screen, and only when you are pressing down, seems pretty useless so I went with a static one.

Thanks - yeah I was expecting the wallpaper to animate by itself, hence my confusion - what a useless feature. I've gone with a static wallpaper now :)

I don't know about the warmness, but you can change it if you permanently enable Night Shift?

Night Shift isn't enabled; I wish I could take pictures side by side but my 7 Plus is considerably warmer that my 6 Plus. I've tried adjusting it in Settings (Display Accommodations) but I can't seem to fix it. Also the 6 Plus' screen seems brighter.

Thanks - yeah I was expecting the wallpaper to animate by itself, hence my confusion - what a useless feature. I've gone with a static wallpaper now :)

Night Shift isn't enabled; I wish I could take pictures side by side but my 7 Plus is considerably warmer that my 6 Plus. I've tried adjusting it in Settings (Display Accommodations) but I can't seem to fix it. Also the 6 Plus' screen seems brighter.

The 7 series screens are are warmer than the old phones by design. The old phones screens were calibrated more blue, the new screens have the wider color profile and are more accurate, hence the warmness. The cool tone of the older phones were inaccurate

6 isn't brighter. IPhone 7 is actually 25% brighter (625 vs. 500 nits).

Shizuka

Should I get an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus? I used to have a 6 Plus until it was stolen today, I don't mind a smaller model if the Plus doesn't have any improvement other than the size.

DOWN

Banned
Should I get an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus? I used to have a 6 Plus until it was stolen today, I don't mind a smaller model if the Plus doesn't have any improvement other than the size.
Better camera, better screen pixel density, more RAM, bigger battery

Go plus

Not an issue per se but does anyone have some troubles getting the 7 Plus camera to quickly focus? Seems like it needs to refocus before taking any shots, which means I miss some time sensitive ones since it takes several seconds to clear up

Sometimes.

Also today I dropped my phone like 20cm when I was on the couch and it fell on the TV remote, chipping the screen protector. So grateful I had one on :p but I guess now I need to replace it.

Figured it out. Turns out that the 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 7, and 7 Plus recalibrate their camera. Having them on a flat surface for 10 seconds will do a quick calibration pass, having it plugged in and on a flat surface for 5-10 minutes will make i do a full calibration. I have a dock on my nightstand so it's entirely possible that my phone has never been plugged in on a flat surface for 10 minutes at all. Doing that has my phone taking incredibly quick shots, no long focusing needed

DOWN

Banned
Figured it out. Turns out that the 6 Plus, 6s Plus, 7, and 7 Plus recalibrate their camera. Having them on a flat surface for 10 seconds will do a quick calibration pass, having it plugged in and on a flat surface for 5-10 minutes will make i do a full calibration. I have a dock on my nightstand so it's entirely possible that my phone has never been plugged in on a flat surface for 10 minutes at all. Doing that has my phone taking incredibly quick shots, no long focusing needed

This is confusing

You are suggesting that calibration is bad and somehow does nothing but slow down your camera, all by just leaving your phone on a flat surface

This is confusing

You are suggesting that calibration is bad and somehow does nothing but slow down your camera, all by just leaving your phone on a flat surface

No no, I was having issues with the camera taking several seconds to focus before and after every single shot, which I knew wasn't right. Then I found out about the calibration. Since my phone charges solely on a dock it had never done its natural calibration which it's supposed to do automatically when those conditions are met (charging, flat surface, 10 minutes), I consciously did that and it fixed the issue

Shizuka

Ended up with a 128GB iPhone 7, it was the only one that'd fit my budget and attend to my needs as a phone. By the way, are there any must have apps for the iPhone nowadays? Nothing regional, as I don't live in the US.

Li Kao

Ended up with a 128GB iPhone 7, it was the only one that'd fit my budget and attend to my needs as a phone. By the way, are there any must have apps for the iPhone nowadays? Nothing regional, as I don't live in the US.

I'm looking to buy a new phone and I second this question ! Maybe there is a general app thread but how up to date is it ?

TheFuzz

Hi all. New iPhone 7+ user. I'm still getting used to the home button. I turned the haptic feedback to 1, but it feels like the haptic feedback is on the home button and almost feels as if it's providing feedback on the lower back of phone. Is this normal?

Hi all. New iPhone 7+ user. I'm still getting used to the home button. I turned the haptic feedback to 1, but it feels like the haptic feedback is on the home button and almost feels as if it's providing feedback on the lower back of phone. Is this normal?

Yeah, that's pretty normal. It'll feel like the whole bottom half of the phone is "clicking". 1 is the least punch, 3 is the most and I find feels most like a "real button"

TheFuzz

Yeah, that's pretty normal. It'll feel like the whole bottom half of the phone is "clicking". 1 is the least punch, 3 is the most and I find feels most like a "real button"

Oh ok. Yeah, the whole lower phone "feels" something. I'm getting used to it but love it thus far.

Thanks for the feedback.

That's an awesome one, congrats. My friend got a 32GB Plus and he would trade it for my 128GB Jet Black anytime. Having practically unlimited storage is awesome.

Voidwolf

Help me, Gaf.

My girlfriend just bought an iPhone 7 yesterday and her mute switch lowers the volume down to one square, it does not completely silence the ringer. I remember changing this in settings on my iPhone way back when but I can't seem to locate the setting now.

How do I make it so the mute switch completely silences the ringer and the phone only vibrates?

Help me, Gaf.

My girlfriend just bought an iPhone 7 yesterday and her mute switch lowers the volume down to one square, it does not completely silence the ringer. I remember changing this in settings on my iPhone way back when but I can't seem to locate the setting now.

How do I make it so the mute switch completely silences the ringer and the phone only vibrates?

Can't you set whether the button mutes the phone or locks the screen orientation in settings?

Vyer

S6E crapped out, swung by T-Mobile and picked up a 7+ 128gb ...any good app recommendation? twitter app ...podcast? wallpapers?

Podcast apps:
Overcast
Pocket Casts
Castro

are often recommended around here. I've found the official twitter app has actually become pretty decent over the years.

1Password is a great password app, make use of TouchID integration. I like Carrot for weather, Anylist and OneNote for grocery lists and note taking. Prisma and Google's Motion Still are cool for photo filters and live photos.

finalflame

Gold Member
So, I'm switching jobs and am gonna have to buy my own phone soon. I'm thinking an SE to hold me over until the 8 or just go for a 7. Any killer deals right now? How's everyone feeling on the likelihood of that new red color for the 7? Trying to pay upfront, not finance it over 24 months.

Man, having to buy your own mobile device sucks.

So, I'm switching jobs and am gonna have to buy my own phone soon. I'm thinking an SE to hold me over until the 8 or just go for a 7. Any killer deals right now? How's everyone feeling on the likelihood of that new red color for the 7? Trying to pay upfront, not finance it over 24 months.

Man, having to buy your own mobile device sucks.

I've always found buying a device outright lends a whole lot more freedom. I like being tied down in contracts as little as possible

Anyway, if your sights are set on the 8 the SE makes a great holdover phone if you're cool with the size

Weird question, thought this might be an OK place to ask. My girlfriend got an iPhone 6S but she doesn't want to activate it as a phone just yet (and may not ever). I know it needs a sim during first boot. I have a 7 Plus (so a nanosim), can I just pop my sim in there to get past the screen and take it out without messing up anything on my phone or with my carrier? The phone she got is brand new from Apple and completely unlocked. I'm on AT&T (GSM, should be compatible).

DOWN

Banned
Weird question, thought this might be an OK place to ask. My girlfriend got an iPhone 6S but she doesn't want to activate it as a phone just yet (and may not ever). I know it needs a sim during first boot. I have a 7 Plus (so a nanosim), can I just pop my sim in there to get past the screen and take it out without messing up anything on my phone or with my carrier? The phone she got is brand new from Apple and completely unlocked. I'm on AT&T (GSM, should be compatible).
Why buy an iPhone to never activate it? I don't get it

Mainly because the iPod Touch is all-but dead. iPods in general are. She doesn't need the phone functions and wifi is everywhere. So voila, a 6S will be updated for a while and is better in every way than the "sort of still available" iPod 6th gen. She may drop it on a "pay as you go" plan one day, we're just not sure. Do you know the answer to my question?

finalflame

Gold Member
I've always found buying a device outright lends a whole lot more freedom. I like being tied down in contracts as little as possible

Anyway, if your sights are set on the 8 the SE makes a great holdover phone if you're cool with the size

Oh, yah, always outright, I never finance phones.

I ended up going with an SE 64gb. I got it via the Apple Store and am using Discover to price match Boost ($229), saving a cool $220. Perfect to hold me over until the 8 :)

Yes. I've done this for a spare iPhone to be used as an iPod. Just need the sim to activate and start set up, then you can just take out the SIM and it's basically an iPod touch. It will say No SIM on the top left where the carrier name usually is.

Yes. I've done this for a spare iPhone to be used as an iPod. Just need the sim to activate and start set up, then you can just take out the SIM and it's basically an iPod touch. It will say No SIM on the top left where the carrier name usually is.
And I can use my current, active sim? It won't impact me in any way? Really appreciate the response!

And I can use my current, active sim? It won't impact me in any way? Really appreciate the response!

Yes, AT&T sims are completely portable so you're fine. Pop it in, activate it, then put it back in your phone

I think the only thing is that if you use wifi calling you'll have to turn it back on again

neoemonk

Oh, yah, always outright, I never finance phones.

I ended up going with an SE 64gb. I got it via the Apple Store and am using Discover to price match Boost ($229), saving a cool $220. Perfect to hold me over until the 8 :)

Do you have to pay up front and then contact them to refund the difference? I've never used the Discover price match stuff.

finalflame

Gold Member
Do you have to pay up front and then contact them to refund the difference? I've never used the Discover price match stuff.

Yah, you pay the price up front on your Discover card, make a quick call to initiate the process, then fill out a form with the receipt/statement/lower price online and get a check for the difference in the mail after ~2 weeks.

neoemonk

Yah, you pay the price up front on your Discover card, make a quick call to initiate the process, then fill out a form with the receipt/statement/lower price online and get a check for the difference in the mail after ~2 weeks.

Thanks. Did you have any issues? I went and read about the benefit on their page. I didn't know it existed before I saw you posting about it.

Did you submit a picture of the Boost webpage or did you have to get a store manager's signature?

finalflame

Gold Member
Thanks. Did you have any issues? I went and read about the benefit on their page. I didn't know it existed before I saw you posting about it.

Did you submit a picture of the Boost webpage or did you have to get a store manager's signature?

I just submitted a screenshot of the Boost page with the lower price and made sure it was near the corner of my screen where I also had the date/time popup open (top right for me, OSX, but bottom right for Windows users).

I haven't gotten my check yet, but plenty of people over on Slickdeals have used this method for this deal and others with success. Discover is the easiest CC company to work with for Price Match from what I hear, but others also had luck with Chase and Citi cards.

On an unrelated note, what are we thinking about the (RED) iPhone 7 rumor? If it's true, I might just have to sell my SE and get the (RED) 7 -- hype would be too much.

neoemonk

I just submitted a screenshot of the Boost page with the lower price and made sure it was near the corner of my screen where I also had the date/time popup open (top right for me, OSX, but bottom right for Windows users).

I haven't gotten my check yet, but plenty of people over on Slickdeals have used this method for this deal and others with success. Discover is the easiest CC company to work with for Price Match from what I hear, but others also had luck with Chase and Citi cards.

On an unrelated note, what are we thinking about the (RED) iPhone 7 rumor? If it's true, I might just have to sell my SE and get the (RED) 7 -- hype would be too much.

Thanks for the info. This is my first time using this and I'd like to open the phone when I get it. I feel more confident now.

finalflame

Gold Member
Thanks for the info. This is my first time using this and I'd like to open the phone when I get it. I feel more confident now.

If you have Discover, go full steam ahead. I've never heard of anyone being denied their price match, even when price matching TVs to super shady bait-and-switch online retailers like EBuy and Joe's AV.

Top Bottom