• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

I need advice from those in the know.

My iPhone 6 battery is faulty. It drains quickly, and the phone suddenly crashes a couple times a day during usage. I can't boot it back up, either, without plugging it into a charger. I ran diagnostics in the Apple Support app and the results confirmed a battery issue.

I was planning to upgrade to the fancy new "iPhone 8" later this year but don't think I can wait that long. I am on AT&T and eligible for an upgrade.

My options are to have the Apple Store repair/replace my battery (no idea on cost) or upgrade to a new iPhone 7. Except wouldn't upgrading to a 7 start a new two-year contract and make it so I'd have to pay full price for the 8 later this year?

edit: did AT&T change the way they do annual contracts? Looks like the iPhone 7 is $749 with or without contract, and the only difference with the contract is the ability to pay on a 30-month plan.

edit 2: apparently the Apple Store will replace the battery for $80 so I'm obviously going with that.

FYI In case anybody is interested Target will be including a $300 Giftcard with the purchase of an iPhone 7/iPhone 7 Plus on AT&T/Verizon/Sprint through new line/upgrade. It starts March 26 and I believe it is in-store only. Also, from what I have read online some stores may be getting in the "Product Red" version if you happen to want it.

Finally, I just want to mention they will be offering the Apple Watch Series 1 on sale starting at $200 so if you have any interest in one that'd be a good use of the GC.

Anyone get a Plus and regret it because of the size and comfort?

Also, when I get a new iPhone does restoring from a backup of my previous phone present any potential problems? Is it like Windows where a fresh install is healthier and risk-free and offers the best performance?

finalflame

Gold Member
Got my regular 7 in red ordered for same day pickup at one of the nearby stores. Hope to go grab it today after work.

Also got the red silicone case but not sure I'll use it.

Also, when I get a new iPhone does restoring from a backup of my previous phone present any potential problems? Is it like Windows where a fresh install is healthier and risk-free and offers the best performance?

Yup, I have a Plus for work and while I got used to it, it's uncomfortable compared to the regular 7 for me. I'm a fairly average sized 5'9" male with what I'd consider average sized hands.

I've never had any issues restoring from an iCloud backup, you should be fine :)

Vyer

Does restoring also restore photos and music?

it can carry over problems, really depends a lot on how long you would be carrying back up to back up. personally i like to 'fresh install' more often, for reasons much like you said with Windows.

if you use iCloud backup stuff most of it will be available when you do the restore. Through your Apple ID your contacts/phone numbers are stored and will be back when you sign in after the restore. If you use iCloud photo backup (I pay the .99 cents a month for the extra storage) then they will be available after restore. I also use Google Photos and OneDrive apps on my phone and they are set to auto backup photos I take on WiFi so I'm pretty much covered either way.

And I use Apple Music and iTunes Match so my music will also be available across devices, after restores, etc. (And I get to avoid actually using desktop iTunes as much as possible).

The main thing you will use (other than redownloading apps and setting up email and such) is text/imessages. For some people this is a deal breaker to the clean install. Personally it doesn't bother me.

There may be third party solutions that work for that, but I never have tried.

DOWN

Banned

I had a regular 6 because I worried about the size, but I jumped on 7 Plus and prayed I'd like it and I do. I love it. Most usable iPhone for me yet. A few days in and I was hardly ever picking up my tablet anymore tbh. My boyfriend was in the same boat and he loves it too.

Vyer

I use iTunes desktop on windows to restore. Will that include photos? Or is there an option for it to?

you mean you would just do the restore as a new phone through iTunes? As long as you are backing up your photos with iCloud Photos, then they will be available. If the only backups you do are manually through iTunes and no cloud stuff, then no a restore as new will not include any photos.

Vyer

I got real close to going with the jet black but decided to stick with matte. if the new iphone actually is like the rumors and comes in jet i might not be able to resist, micro abrasions be damned.

Upgraded my iPhone 6 to a new jet black iPhone 7 Plus this weekend, taking advantage of the Target deal. Really digging the size and speed of this thing.

Shopping for cases now. What do you guys recommend for a slim and simple black case? I've always used Incipio NGP on my phones but this version's lip is too shallow to offer full protection.

I'm comparing and considering the following cases, but open to suggestions:

Incipio NGP
Incipio DualPro
Incipio Haven
Silk Base Grip
Otterbox Symmetry
Speck Presidio

Thoughts?

Upgraded my iPhone 6 to a new jet black iPhone 7 Plus this weekend, taking advantage of the Target deal. Really digging the size and speed of this thing.

Shopping for cases now. What do you guys recommend for a slim and simple black case? I've always used Incipio NGP on my phones but this version's lip is too shallow to offer full protection.

I'm comparing and considering the following cases, but open to suggestions:

Incipio NGP
Incipio DualPro
Incipio Haven
Silk Base Grip
Otterbox Symmetry
Speck Presidio

Thoughts?

I bought one from AliExpress for $3.

I'm giving my mom my old iPhone 6. She currently has a 5. Does she just have to swap her SIM card into the new phone, or does she have to contact AT&T?

Vyer

had to replace my modem today so I was checking some speed tests once I got everything set back up. man the iphone wireless is so impressive. pulling nearly the same as my wired connection. considerably faster than what my rather new laptop with AC wifi is pulling.

with a fairly new router you get crazy good wifi speed on the phone

Apple trying to buy Toshiba's NAND flash unit.

though there has to be a lot more involved than a 'bidding war', as that wouldn't be a huge problem for Apple. But cook trying to rely less on others for their flash storage is interesting.

Also: Anyone here ever sell a phone on Swappa? How is the service?

Yeah I've sold a 5S on Swappa. Quick and easy, would do it again

Getting into a bidding war with Apple over anything is asking for trouble

Pardon my ignorance and I hope this is the right place to ask. My mom has a 6 plus that is out of contract with a $210 balance left to own it outright. If sprint unlocked it after it's paid in full, could she visit Verizon and set up a plan with them? For some reason the phone doesn't work at all in her home. She has to go outside for all calls.

Thanks in advance.

Pardon my ignorance and I hope this is the right place to ask. My mom has a 6 plus that is out of contract with a $210 balance left to own it outright. If sprint unlocked it after it's paid in full, could she visit Verizon and set up a plan with them? For some reason the phone doesn't work at all in her home. She has to go outside for all calls.

Thanks in advance.

Yes once it is unlocked you can use it with Verizon

To make triple sure check the model here:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Vyer

Man I hope those new iPhone design rumors are true. Saw the S8 yesterday and the screen is awesome, even if I'm not a fan of the edge crap.

The back was still just meh, nothng that stood out other than the ridiculously dumb fingerprint sensor placement. That front tho...would love to see something similar for the next iPhone.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It's time to get my new phone.

Should I get a 7+? Or should I save a little money and get a 6S+? What are the actual benefits of the 7 over the 6S aside from better looking case, camera, maybe battery...

Headphone jack is not an issue for me. And I would be getting the black one for either model.

I'm prepaid so my options are:

7+ for $669 ($100 off) which I would keep for at least 2 years and miss out on whatever we get this fall/winter

6S+ for $549 ($100 off) which I would keep until at least next fall, maybe get the second version of whatever the Edition ends up being

Or the nuclear "Just get something cheap to hold you over until the fall" 6+ option for $249 ($100 off) that I would probably trade in and replace this year when the 7S and Edition models are available

The third option would only be 16GB, which is what I'm used to, and of course I'd miss out on 3D Touch which I'm also used to. All I'd gain is the bigger screen and 64-bit.

I'm leaning towards a 7+ but I just can't pull the trigger. (I got my hefty tax return so I'm ready to party.)

It's time to get my new phone.

Should I get a 7+? Or should I save a little money and get a 6S+? What are the actual benefits of the 7 over the 6S aside from better looking case, camera, maybe battery...

Headphone jack is not an issue for me. And I would be getting the black one for either model.

I'm prepaid so my options are:

7+ for $669 ($100 off) which I would keep for at least 2 years and miss out on whatever we get this fall/winter

6S+ for $549 ($100 off) which I would keep until at least next fall, maybe get the second version of whatever the Edition ends up being

Or the nuclear "Just get something cheap to hold you over until the fall" 6+ option for $249 ($100 off) that I would probably trade in and replace this year when the 7S and Edition models are available

The third option would only be 16GB, which is what I'm used to, and of course I'd miss out on 3D Touch which I'm also used to. All I'd gain is the bigger screen and 64-bit.

I'm leaning towards a 7+ but I just can't pull the trigger. (I got my hefty tax return so I'm ready to party.)

Get an SE as the cheapest option then get whatever comes out in fall and be happy

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
What's virgin selling an SE for if they did have it in stock?
I'm wrong. They do have it in stock. But I was kind of looking forward to that bigger Plus screen.

Edit: The SE they do have in stock is 16GB only. I'd really rather have 32GB. It's a waste to spend the same amount on just a 16GB.

I'm wrong. They do have it in stock. But I was kind of looking forward to that bigger Plus screen.

Edit: The SE they do have in stock is 16GB only. I'd really rather have 32GB. It's a waste to spend the same amount on just a 16GB.

Right, how much is it? Still the $400 before the 32GB came out?

Edit: well if you want the bigger screen don't do the SE. I just know I've seen a lot of horror stories of preowned 6+ phones. $250 is a good price, though

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

SE is $180 on ATT unlocked. Buy it from them, don't activate it on ATT. Use it on whatever.

But I don't want a small screen. I want a big screen. Super duper big Plus sized screen.

Alright, so let's rock this out. From what you've said your options are:

Prepaid 6 Plus 16GB: $250, to be replaced this fall 2017
6S Plus 32GB: $550, to be replaced fall 2018
7 Plus 32GB: $670, to be replaced fall 2019

Downsides of the 6 Plus are the fact that it's preowned, but that becomes less relevant given the price and the fact that you'll only really be using it for like seven months. Personally this is the most attractive one if the rumors about the 8 are really exciting you

6S Plus is still an intensely competent phone, 3D touch is nice if only for the keyboard cursor movement

7 Plus is obviously better, given the camera improvements and water resistant and the battery bump. However, you run the same risk with the 6S and the 7: envy when the 8 rolls around and shits on everything. Will you be able to resist the shiny new very expensive thing through 2018 at the minimum?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Alright, so let's rock this out. From what you've said your options are:

Prepaid 6 Plus 16GB: $250, to be replaced this fall 2017
6S Plus 32GB: $550, to be replaced fall 2018
7 Plus 32GB: $670, to be replaced fall 2019

Downsides of the 6 Plus are the fact that it's preowned, but that becomes less relevant given the price and the fact that you'll only really be using it for like seven months. Personally this is the most attractive one if the rumors about the 8 are really exciting you

6S Plus is still an intensely competent phone, 3D touch is nice if only for the keyboard cursor movement

7 Plus is obviously better, given the camera improvements and water resistant and the battery bump. However, you run the same risk with the 6S and the 7: envy when the 8 rolls around and shits on everything. Will you be able to resist the shiny new very expensive thing through 2018 at the minimum?
See why it's so hard? lol

I can see myself being happy with any of them. My brother and sister both have 7+ models and highly recommend them. I agree, the 7+ looks amazing. Sadly the Jet Black is out of stock because I was kind of looking at it. I just really like that shiny. But the normal Black is fine as well. However with a phone that expensive, I might end up getting a case so what's the point? I mean I never got a case for my 5C and I've dropped it dozens of times and never damaged it. But I don't think I want to risk that with something like a 7.

I can totally resist an 8/Edition for a year at least, two at most. It's really my wallet that does the deciding for me. Can't spend hundreds on a new phone if you ain't got it. Right? But it's going to be really hard.

A 6+ would totally be sufficient for now, but I'd be jealous of not having 3D Touch yet. I still haven't used it. But if I got this one, I could take $400 (That would have been spent on the 7+ anyway) and put it aside somewhere as a sort of down payment for whatever comes next. But would I be sufficiently happy enough? I doubt it'd come in a fresh new Apple box. I might feel robbed of that "brand new Apple thing" experience.

At this point I think I might just be leaning towards the "fuck it, just get the 7+ and be super happy and deal with the jealousy when the time comes" option. As competent as the 6S+ is, I'd probably feel like I should have just spent the extra $120.

Besides, Virgin has a trade-in program. If I put some money aside over the next few months or year, I could still totally trade in the 7+ and get something back anyway.

I think I just talked myself into the 7+... Oops?

See why it's so hard? lol

I can see myself being happy with any of them. My brother and sister both have 7+ models and highly recommend them. I agree, the 7+ looks amazing. Sadly the Jet Black is out of stock because I was kind of looking at it. I just really like that shiny. But the normal Black is fine as well. However with a phone that expensive, I might end up getting a case so what's the point? I mean I never got a case for my 5C and I've dropped it dozens of times and never damaged it. But I don't think I want to risk that with something like a 7.

I can totally resist an 8/Edition for a year at least, two at most. It's really my wallet that does the deciding for me. Can't spend hundreds on a new phone if you ain't got it. Right? But it's going to be really hard.

A 6+ would totally be sufficient for now, but I'd be jealous of not having 3D Touch yet. I still haven't used it. But if I got this one, I could take $400 (That would have been spent on the 7+ anyway) and put it aside somewhere as a sort of down payment for whatever comes next. But would I be sufficiently happy enough? I doubt it'd come in a fresh new Apple box. I might feel robbed of that "brand new Apple thing" experience.

At this point I think I might just be leaning towards the "fuck it, just get the 7+ and be super happy and deal with the jealousy when the time comes" option. As competent as the 6S+ is, I'd probably feel like I should have just spent the extra $120.

Besides, Virgin has a trade-in program. If I put some money aside over the next few months or year, I could still totally trade in the 7+ and get something back anyway.

I think I just talked myself into the 7+... Oops?

Oops. Welcome to the club.

Top Bottom