• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Jigolo

Has anyone done a screen replacement through AppleCare before? If so, do they just exchange the LCD or the whole glass (or both)?

Has anyone done a screen replacement through AppleCare before? If so, do they just exchange the LCD or the whole glass (or both)?

Both. The glass and the LCD underneath is all one piece, as are the front camera, front microphone, and receiver. Essentially the entire front half of the phone gets replaced

Tendo

At my parents for the weekend and my mom tells me her iPhone 6 won't stop soft resetting. It'll just randomly go white with the apple logo then the phone comes back. Any ideas? Everything is updated.

SOLDIER

Hoping someone here can help me: is there a way to set custom notification sounds/vibrations with different contacts if they message me?

If possible, I would like to set a specific vibration for whenever my boss messages me, to ensure that I know I'm getting a text from him and not any of my other contracts. Similarly, I was also wondering if it was possible to disable sound/vibration notifications from a specific contact or group. In my case, I have a group in my message that frequently texts during certain parts of the day. It's annoying as hell, but I don't want to have to turn off notifications for messages every time they do this.

Hoping someone here can help me: is there a way to set custom notification sounds/vibrations with different contacts if they message me?

If possible, I would like to set a specific vibration for whenever my boss messages me, to ensure that I know I'm getting a text from him and not any of my other contracts. Similarly, I was also wondering if it was possible to disable sound/vibration notifications from a specific contact or group. In my case, I have a group in my message that frequently texts during certain parts of the day. It's annoying as hell, but I don't want to have to turn off notifications for messages every time they do this.

Yes and yes!

For the vibration patterns, go to your contacts, to a contact you want to use, press edit, then go to text tone, vibration, then either pick one of the default ones or make one of your own. Do this for as many contacts as you want

As for the second part, you can set individual conversations in Messages on "Do Not Disturb". You can't set it to trigger at certain parts of the day only, but you can set it by going to the conversation, either with one person or multiple people, pressing the i in the top right corner, and toggling Do Not Disturb

SOLDIER

Yes and yes!

For the vibration patterns, go to your contacts, to a contact you want to use, press edit, then go to text tone, vibration, then either pick one of the default ones or make one of your own. Do this for as many contacts as you want

As for the second part, you can set individual conversations in Messages on "Do Not Disturb". You can't set it to trigger at certain parts of the day only, but you can set it by going to the conversation, either with one person or multiple people, pressing the i in the top right corner, and toggling Do Not Disturb

You sir are a true hero. A champion of champions. Thank you so much.

So I've got a 5c that I've had for forever, but still runs fairly well and I'm content with it at the moment. I've kind of been eyeing upgrades, and had been thinking of jumping in with the next phone hits later this year.

Buuuuuuut yesterday the screen on my phone shattered. It still functions ok, but I'm obviously going to need a screen replacement to continue using it.

So should I just use this as an excuse to upgrade now? Or put in the ~$70 for a new screen and keep holding out for the next model?

Vyer

So I've got a 5c that I've had for forever, but still runs fairly well and I'm content with it at the moment. I've kind of been eyeing upgrades, and had been thinking of jumping in with the next phone hits later this year.

Buuuuuuut yesterday the screen on my phone shattered. It still functions ok, but I'm obviously going to need a screen replacement to continue using it.

So should I just use this as an excuse to upgrade now? Or put in the ~$70 for a new screen and keep holding out for the next model?

I always prefer an excuse to upgrade :)

But.....it mostly depends on if it's worth it for you to wait til September

heh im in a similar boat.. on iPhone 5 and really getting the itch to upgrade lately but September so far away :( .. actually didn't the last rumors I read say November?

the red phone is calling to me

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm considering upgrading my Nexus 5 to an iPhone 7. I see a lot of guides on how to smooth the transition but all of them fail to answer this question I have: How do I preserve the contract I have with T-Mobile as well as carry over the phone number? That is, how can I keep my cellular "identity" and only switch the phone?

I'm considering upgrading my Nexus 5 to an iPhone 7. I see a lot of guides on how to smooth the transition but all of them fail to answer this question I have: How do I preserve the contract I have with T-Mobile as well as carry over the phone number? That is, how can I keep my cellular "identity" and only switch the phone?

You move the SIM card from the Nexus 5 to the iPhone 7

Done!

EmiPrime

You ask for a new nano SIM card (Nexus 5 uses micro SIM), they send you it and then when it arrives you have it activated (should be able to do online).

That's it.

I went from a nexus 5 to an iPhone 7 myself. Totally worth it.

You ask for a new nano SIM card (Nexus 5 uses micro SIM), they send you it and then when it arrives you have it activated (should be able to do online).

That's it.

I went from a nexus 5 to an iPhone 7 myself. Totally worth it.

Wait the nexus 5 uses micro not nano? That's weird

EmiPrime

To fill in an omission in my previous post, your carrier might have a webpage where you put in your contract phone number and your new SIM card's serial number. Up to you to research the procedure for your carrier anyway.

Wait the nexus 5 uses micro not nano? That's weird

Yeah, it's odd. The iPhone 5S came out around the same time and that used nano.

Dalek

My iPhone 6s died this weekend so I got a 7.

I have a few questions:

1. All the combo headphone/charger adapters I see on amazon all have bad reviews. Can anyone recommend one? I also probably need to get a few lighting headphone adapters for my cars.

2. My battery life isn't that great-I was wondering if the "rise to wake" feature can be disabled to save battery life perhaps?

I have a few questions:

1. All the combo headphone/charger adapters I see on amazon all have bad reviews. Can anyone recommend one? I also probably need to get a few lighting headphone adapters for my cars.

2. My battery life isn't that great-I was wondering if the "rise to wake" feature can be disabled to save battery life perhaps?

1. A lot of the third party ones on Amazon aren't MFI so they got bricked with 10.3.2. I know it really really sucks but the Belkin one definitely works, but it's lightning and lightning so you'd use the headphone adapter as well

2. Not really, since if the ambient light sensor is covered, like if it's in your pocket, the screen barely turns on. The first few days the system is still setting everything up and indexing which can hit battery life more than normal (and people are usually using it more than usual as they set everything up and get into a routine). Have you checked battery settings to see what's happening?

EmiPrime

I have a few questions:

Yeah in Display & Brightness.

My battery life is really good but I disable everything I consider superfluous including notifications and background app refresh for apps that don't need it as well as Siri, raise to wake and a bunch of other guff. I also keep Facebook off my phone.

DOWN

Banned
Question: on my iPhone 7, when I'm using an app on iPad and then it detects it via handoff or whatever on iPhone, it shows the app's icon on the lock screen in the very bottom left. How do I use that icon? Swiping or pressing it does nothing to it

Question: on my iPhone 7, when I'm using an app on iPad and then it detects it via handoff or whatever on iPhone, it shows the app's icon on the lock screen in the very bottom left. How do I use that icon? Swiping or pressing it does nothing to it

Should be able to swipe up on it. If that doesn't work you should also be able to get to it by unlocking and going into the multitasker and it'll be along the bottom

LordOfChaos

Work upgraded me to the 7 for freeeee, sweet.

All in all the differences are subtle, but add up to make me like it much more than my 6S, which I was always a bit ambivalent towards, the small differences add up. Probably luck of the draw but the machining on the bottom of my 6S was sharp, the 7 is smooth.
The matte black with nearly integrated antenna bands is much more attractive than the old space grey with weirdly not even attempted color matching antenna bands.

One thing I did notice though, from Apples animations I was expecting both speakers to be even, but the top speaker is much weaker. It's both quieter and the bottom firing speaker holds the majority of the low end boom, no matter which orientation. It's easily casually noticeable. Hm.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I'm going on 3 days without charging my 7+ and I'm only down to 28% battery. I'm impressed.

Speaking of which, I wish iOS had more detailed battery usage graphs and charts like iStats shows. I want to see details of how fast my battery is going and what apps were using it at the time, when it was plugged in and charging, etc...

LordOfChaos

I'm going on 3 days without charging my 7+ and I'm only down to 28% battery. I'm impressed.

Speaking of which, I wish iOS had more detailed battery usage graphs and charts like iStats shows. I want to see details of how fast my battery is going and what apps were using it at the time, when it was plugged in and charging, etc...

Yeah, battery seems good, but iOS obfuscates battery stats too much, wish it used the Android method.

finalflame

Gold Member

Do you not really use your phone? My 7+ wouldn't last more than an entire day of moderate usage.

Shizuka

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good glass screen filter/protector? I got a really cheap one that's always requiring cleaning because of finger marks or anything really.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask in, but its the closest i could find. Does anyone know how to copy pictures from PC to iPhone without using some iCloud account? I was trying for maybe 30 minutes earlier today, tried searching on Google, but couldnt find anything useful. Either i'm missing something or its a lot harder than it should be.

First thing i tried was to simply connect the iPhone to the PC. I did get it listed as "F:", but i was not able to open it (and i did click "allow/approve" when being prompted). That was on Windows 7, on Windows 10 it wouldnt detect as "F:" at all. I know that this method has been possible before, but i suspect that newer iOS updates have blocked it somehow.

Then i tried iTunes. I found out that its possible to drag/drop music and movies from PC into iTunes, but i found no such options for pictures.

Please tell me what i'm missing. It shouldnt be this hard to do a basic thing as copy pictures to a phone.

I'm not sure if this is the best thread to ask in, but its the closest i could find. Does anyone know how to copy pictures from PC to iPhone without using some iCloud account? I was trying for maybe 30 minutes earlier today, tried searching on Google, but couldnt find anything useful. Either i'm missing something or its a lot harder than it should be.

First thing i tried was to simply connect the iPhone to the PC. I did get it listed as "F:", but i was not able to open it (and i did click "allow/approve" when being prompted). That was on Windows 7, on Windows 10 it wouldnt detect as "F:" at all. I know that this method has been possible before, but i suspect that newer iOS updates have blocked it somehow.

Then i tried iTunes. I found out that its possible to drag/drop music and movies from PC into iTunes, but i found no such options for pictures.

Please tell me what i'm missing. It shouldnt be this hard to do a basic thing as copy pictures to a phone.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201313

DrkSage

Kinda not related to the iPhone 7 but still an iPhone problem...

Ok so I have an iPhone 6s, not plus. I've had It in an otterbox cover since I bought it around a year ago. Today I noticed that the turn down volume button wasn't working, so I took it out of the case, and lo and behold, it was bent, even the otterbox hard cover is bent. I've treated this phone like a baby, I never put things on my back pockets, never wore tight jeans, nothing, nothing that could have caused it to bent.

Is my phone replaceable by warranty? Don't know how Apple or AT&T treat cases like this.

Kinda not related to the iPhone 7 but still an iPhone problem...

Ok so I have an iPhone 6s, not plus. I've had It in an otterbox cover since I bought it around a year ago. Today I noticed that the turn down volume button wasn't working, so I took it out of the case, and lo and behold, it was bent, even the otterbox hard cover is bent. I've treated this phone like a baby, I never put things on my back pockets, never wore tight jeans, nothing, nothing that could have caused it to bent.

Is my phone replaceable by warranty? Don't know how Apple or AT&T treat cases like this.

To put it bluntly, no. Even if you don't know what happened to it physical damage is still physical damage and is not a manufacturer's defect, which is what the warranty covers. If you have AT&T insurance or AppleCare you can pay the deductible to replace it rather than the full replacement cost which is $299

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks for the answer, but i think that requires an iCloud account. I tried that guide earlier today before writing that post, but when i clicked on "Photos" to the left there, i didnt get the picture that the guide showed. I only got a message that said "pictures can be synced over WiFi or ethernet", something like that. If i clicked the sync button, nothing happened. No option to choose which folder to sync with or anything.

It is possible that i didnt get any sync option because there wasnt a single picture on the iPhone itself, but i dont know if thats the reason. Could also be because i wasnt signed into iCloud (unfortunately i dont have the phone here now, it was job related).

Thanks for the answer, but i think that requires an iCloud account. I tried that guide earlier today before writing that post, but when i clicked on "Photos" to the left there, i didnt get the picture that the guide showed. I only got a message that said "pictures can be synced over WiFi or ethernet", something like that. If i clicked the sync button, nothing happened. No option to choose which folder to sync with or anything.

It is possible that i didnt get any sync option because there wasnt a single picture on the iPhone itself, but i dont know if thats the reason. Could also be because i wasnt signed into iCloud (unfortunately i dont have the phone here now, it was job related).

Going through iTunes does not require an iCloud account, no. Without seeing what iTunes was saying through a picture or something I'm at a loss, sorry

Deku Tree

My iPhone 7+ Camera stopped working this morning. No idea what happened. Just get a black screen on camera app and in FaceTime. I tried restarting and resetting and force quitting apps.

What else can I do to check if it is a software issue, or a hardware issue?

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My iPhone 7+ Camera stopped working this morning. No idea what happened. Just get a black screen on camera app and in FaceTime. I tried restarting and resetting and force quitting apps.

Tried to reboot the phone?

Well if you want to do the ultimate test, make a backup, restore the phone through iTunes, and set up as new and see if the camera works as a totally blank phone

Barring that you can call AppleCare and they can run a remote diagnostic that will test the hardware

My iPhone 7 crashes quite often, is that a common problem?

Define crash. What happens? Apps crash to the home screen? Phone reboots to an apple logo? Phone reboots to a spinning thing?

test_account

XP-39C²
Going through iTunes does not require an iCloud account, no. Without seeing what iTunes was saying through a picture or something I'm at a loss, sorry
I see. Then it might be because there was no pictures on the iPhone itself. Might be an oversight from Apple, that they dont allow you to sync directly from the PC without going the other way around first (syncing from the phone to the PC, then from the PC to the phone), but i cant say for sure. I didnt get the sync options showed in this picture. All it said there was something about that it was possible to sync over WiFi or something, and where it says "apply", it said "sync" instead. If i clicked on "sync", nothing happened. I will take a screenshot if i occur the same problem with another phone (the client already got the phone back, so i cant try it again. Just copied the picture to an USB stick instead, he was satisfied with that). Thanks for the help regardless :)

Deku Tree

Well if you want to do the ultimate test, make a backup, restore the phone through iTunes, and set up as new and see if the camera works as a totally blank phone

Barring that you can call AppleCare and they can run a remote diagnostic that will test the hardware

Yeah I did all of that... and my camera still doesn't work just a black screen... diagnostic found some problems with the Camera whatever that means... I'll see what happens in the Apple Store tomorrow.

Yeah I did all of that... and my camera still doesn't work just a black screen... diagnostic found some problems with the Camera whatever that means... I'll see what happens in the Apple Store tomorrow.

Front or rear camera?

Either way it's a replaceable part, expect it to take a couple hours for the repair. Should be quick and easy

Top Bottom