• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

ntropy

So I'm getting some sick battery drain right now. Battery life is like one of the most important things to me on a phone so I payed special attention to how the phone drains battery with the screen on, idling, and overnight drain. Last night I fell asleep with the phone at around 60% and woke up in the middle of the night at with it being at 33% Fast forward to later on today I kept the phone on my bed with the screen off while I used my android phone and I noticed that it went from 20% to 13% in under an hour.

I know I'm not going crazy because I was distinctly impressed with how good the battery life was during the first two days. What could be the cause?
my guess would be GPS usage. turn off Location for any apps that don't really need it

The reveal for the next iPhone is September right?

I'll get one dependant on pricing as I hear this thing could be pricey. I'm fully in the Apple ecosystem but if I have to I'll switch to Android if it's a thousand pounds as rumoured :(

Vyer

Chrome. But I didn't see this happening before I updated to 10.3. In fact it happened right after.

I've never been a fan of mobile Chrome (partially for that reason), but I would clear any open tabs, then force close the app and restart. Then test it for a little bit without reopening Chrome, just to make sure that's the problem.

If it is, I would then try a few tabs at a time, maybe narrow down if a specific site is causing it.

Could be dependent on what sites you leave open.
Yeah I'm going to do some testing today.
The reveal for the next iPhone is September right?

I'll get one dependant on pricing as I hear this thing could be pricey. I'm fully in the Apple ecosystem but if I have to I'll switch to Android if it's a thousand pounds as rumoured :(
Wrong year to switch to Android. Apple is finally going to release an impressive phone this year and you want to switch?
I've never been a fan of mobile Chrome (partially for that reason), but I would clear any open tabs, then force close the app and restart. Then test it for a little bit without reopening Chrome, just to make sure that's the problem.

If it is, I would then try a few tabs at a time, maybe narrow down if a specific site is causing it.
Chrome took up 54%. Even on Android chrome is so bloated to. But I use it a lot so I had to get it.

Vyer

Don't know if this was posted, but the verge has an excerpt from a new book on the building of the first iPhone.

Yeah I'm going to do some testing today.

Wrong year to switch to Android. Apple is finally going to release an impressive phone this year and you want to switch?

Chrome took up 54%. Even on Android chrome is so bloated to. But I use it a lot so I had to get it.

Yeah, I used it for a while on the various Android devices I've had but could never really get a feel for it. And that's without the performance stuff.

The standby time on iOS is phenomenal. I purposely didn't charge my phone to see if I can get away with 40% at the start of my work day. Left my house at 9:40 a.m and now it's 6:38 and I'm at 30% and I used today streaming music over Bluetooth on the way to work and after while shopping now. It's making me want to keep the phone.

The standby time on iOS is phenomenal. I purposely didn't charge my phone to see if I can get away with 40% at the start of my work day. Left my house at 9:40 a.m and now it's 6:38 and I'm at 30% and I used today streaming music over Bluetooth on the way to work and after while shopping now. It's making me want to keep the phone.

That’s the benefit of aggressive background task management

LosDaddie

Banned
iPhoneGAF,

Any good iPhone 7 features video/articles you'd recommend for a new owner? I just upgraded from an iPhone 6 to the 7 this weekend. Like, I'm still not sure how 3D Touch works.

Thanks!

LosDaddie

Banned
It doesn't work. Next question?

I'm still on the iPhone Struggle Edition without 3D Touch !_!

Fake Edit: iMore has good beginner guides; specifically: How to use 3D touch

Edit: nvm above has guides

Thanks fam. I definitely spent a good minute reading / watching that guide last night.

My ~5 day review of the iPhone 7 (compared to the 6) so far is....that I'm still annoyed by the lack of aux port. However, the aux port on my iPhone 6 was no longer reliable for controls (audio only). So, I'm happy to have controls work again with the new lightning cable earpods. I stream music/podcasts about 60% of the time when I'm at the office. So headphone controls are important to me.

...And battery life seems improved. My iPhone easily lasts to lunch, where I charge it for the hour, then it's good until the evening.

Overall, yup, it's an iPhone.

At work today I had to test compatibility on an i7+ and it was the first time I've ever used a naked i7+.

It was revelatory, I immediately took off my screen protector. Still rocking a thin transparent case tho 😂

DOWN

Banned
At work today I had to test compatibility on an i7+ and it was the first time I've ever used a naked i7+.

It was revelatory, I immediately took off my screen protector. Still rocking a thin transparent case tho 😂
I imagine that a naked iPhone 7 Plus is almost exactly what a stack of $1000 cash pressurized into a block of diamond would feel like in my hand

Ashhong

Your best value for old phones is carrier promotions. Essentially 650$ for your 2 year old iPhone is insane, even if it is spread out in payments.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
It was Ballmers own hubris and stubbornness that caused them to wait years before even setting foot in the phone space. (By which I mean actual iPhone competitor. Not Windows CE device and whatever that Kin shit was.) They did the same thing with the Zune which took years to show up after the iPod had already taken over.

Ballmer is and was always a terrible Microsoft boss. At least they now have their shit somewhat together now that he’s gone.

I thought I'd give an update about my experience with the 7+ for two weeks.

As I pointed out in my earlier posts, I really like what I'm reading about the iPhone Edition and wanted to try out iOS. The 7+ left good impressions with me. Good size, decent speakers, good screen, great camera, and most importantly fantastic battery life. I literally get 9 hours of screen on time and like 33-36 hours of standby time. So instead of returning it I decided to keep it. I'm using it in addition to my android phone because it's not like I hate Android all of a sudden. I'm going to use the iPhone as my daily driver for now.

I'm hoping that with the iPhone X, it's going to be even better. Apple going with an oled display makes me really excited to see what the battery life will be like under Apple's strict rules.

As I pointed out in my earlier posts, I really like what I'm reading about the iPhone Edition and wanted to try out iOS. The 7+ left good impressions with me. Good size, decent speakers, good screen, great camera, and most importantly fantastic battery life. I literally get 9 hours of screen on time and like 33-36 hours of standby time. So instead of returning it I decided to keep it. I'm using it in addition to my android phone because it's not like I hate Android all of a sudden. I'm going to use the iPhone as my daily driver for now.

I'm hoping that with the iPhone X, it's going to be even better. Apple going with an oled display makes me really excited to see what the battery life will be like under Apple's strict rules.

The iPhone X is rumored to have that sweet OLED screen and a bigger L-shaped battery for the size. Assuming there’s no new weirdness the battery life should be nuts

Juanfp

I got an iPhone 7 as a gift two weeks ago, but suddenly it turn off and now it won't turn on. I only use it for 5 days and never drop it or something lile that.
The problem is where I live there is no Apple, so a friend that will travel to USA is going to take to an Apple Store. What he need to bring to the store beside the phone to use the warranty?

I got an iPhone 7 as a gift two weeks ago, but suddenly it turn off and now it won't turn on. I only use it for 5 days and never drop it or something lile that.
The problem is where I live there is no Apple, so a friend that will travel to USA is going to take to an Apple Store. What he need to bring to the store beside the phone to use the warranty?

Try holding down the power and volume down buttons together for about 15 seconds, see if anything happens

Other than that, your friend will likely need your Apple ID and password to turn off Find My iPhone from the phone, unless you do that ahead of time

Juanfp

Try holding down the power and volume down buttons together for about 15 seconds, see if anything happens

Other than that, your friend will likely need your Apple ID and password to turn off Find My iPhone from the phone, unless you do that ahead of time

I already tried all the tutorials I could find to turn it on, but nothing.

This is obv just a personal preference and will vary person to person but I just haven't adjusted completely to the size of the 7+. It's mostly fine but there are times when I wish it was just that little bit smaller.

Hopefully the 8/Edition will be in that sweet spot and then it's the perfect phone, for me.

This is obv just a personal preference and will vary person to person but I just haven't adjusted completely to the size of the 7+. It's mostly fine but there are times when I wish it was just that little bit smaller.

Hopefully the 8/Edition will be in that sweet spot and then it's the perfect phone, for me.
The 7+ size is fine to me. I really don't like small phones and the rumors point to the Edition being smaller than the 7+ with a larger display.

Ok so, I've been considering switching to iPhone/iOS for a while, specifically the 6S Plus. I'm coming from the Android world on the OnePlus 3.

My biggest concern is how notifications work in iOS. It seems to be completely barbaric and poorly thought-out compared to Android. In iOS, a new individual notification will surface anytime a notification comes from an app. It won't group notifications together by app like Android does, instead it just keeps spitting out notifications from the same app. That seems incredibly annoying and I have no idea how iOS users put up with this.

Android groups together notifications from the same app and minimizes them to save screen real estate for notifications from other apps. The user can expand these minimized and grouped notifications by dragging down and get more info and take action on each individual notification.

This system is so great and well-thought out that i was under the impression that Apple borrowed this idea and implemented this in iOS a few versions ago, but apparently this isn't the case?

Seems to be a huge and annoying drawback of iOS. So to all power users who have used iOS for a long time or Android users who switched to iOS: how on earth do you deal with this!?

Ok so, I've been considering switching to iPhone/iOS for a while, specifically the 6S Plus. I'm coming from the Android world on the OnePlus 3.

My biggest concern is how notifications work in iOS. It seems to be completely barbaric and poorly thought-out compared to Android. In iOS, a new individual notification will surface anytime a notification comes from an app. It won't group notifications together by app like Android does, instead it just keeps spitting out notifications from the same app. That seems incredibly annoying and I have no idea how iOS users put up with this.

Android groups together notifications from the same app and minimizes them to save screen real estate for notifications from other apps. The user can expand these minimized and grouped notifications by dragging down and get more info and take action on each individual notification.

This system is so great and well-thought out that i was under the impression that Apple borrowed this idea and implemented this in iOS a few versions ago, but apparently this isn't the case?

Seems to be a huge and annoying drawback of iOS. So to all power users who have used iOS for a long time or Android users who switched to iOS: how on earth do you deal with this!?

We just kind of suffer through it, to be honest

Edit: well, I never switched from Android. But my answer is the same. I’ve never experienced anything better

I use both daily and I've just gotten used to it. If you read my impressions from earlier in the thread I also complained about it. It still sucks 4 weeks later but it doesn't seem like Apple has any intentions of improving it. I honestly just clear all of it because the notification shade is annoying when it gets full.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I use both daily and I've just gotten used to it. If you read my impressions from earlier in the thread I also complained about it. It still sucks 4 weeks later but it doesn't seem like Apple has any intentions of improving it. I honestly just clear all of it because the notification shade is annoying when it gets full.

iOS 11 is marginally better as it shoves old notifications out of the way into an "Earlier" area.

I miss grouped by app, why they removed it from iOS 10 onward is a mystery.

Al-ibn Kermit

GF just got an iPhone 7 and is leaning towards returning it after a day of use. One of the big issues is that whenever she's using it on speakerphone and holding the phone in her hand in portrait orientation, whenever she adjusts her pinky while it's supporting the bottom of the phone, see picture (49%):

1.2-phone-grips.jpg

For some reason that scratching sound is incredibly loud and makes her actual voice impossible to hear every 10 seconds or so as her hand moves around. Now I realize why at work, I hear that annoying ruffling/scratching sound a lot as we use iPhones as company phones and people are just holding it as they talk. It's hard to explain if you haven't heard how bad it is but you could try testing it.

My question is do iPhone users know this issue and adjust by using a different grip that keeps their hands away from the bottom of the phone? Like I said, this is a big issue.

Aiii

So not worth it
Obviously that's where the speaker and mic are for when you use speakerphone, so yeah, keep your fingers clear.

I just hold it up by placing my thumb on the right and the other four fingers on the left side of the phone. I use my pinky to press the right of the phone to the palm of my hand so I'm not afraid of slippage or anything, like so:
hand-holding-a-smartphone-with-blank-screen-and-white-background_1232-1092.jpg

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
GF just got an iPhone 7 and is leaning towards returning it after a day of use. One of the big issues is that whenever she's using it on speakerphone and holding the phone in her hand in portrait orientation, whenever she adjusts her pinky while it's supporting the bottom of the phone, see picture (49%):

1.2-phone-grips.jpg

For some reason that scratching sound is incredibly loud and makes her actual voice impossible to hear every 10 seconds or so as her hand moves around. Now I realize why at work, I hear that annoying ruffling/scratching sound a lot as we use iPhones as company phones and people are just holding it as they talk. It's hard to explain if you haven't heard how bad it is but you could try testing it.

My question is do iPhone users know this issue and adjust by using a different grip that keeps their hands away from the bottom of the phone? Like I said, this is a big issue.

The iPhone 7 has two microphones used for phone calls which are located on either side of the Lightning Port. The right grill is the speaker (the left grill is just cosmetic). Phone models prior to the 6S only has one microphone located on the right side of the Lightning Port for phone calls.

I've never experienced the issue you're describing though. Neither on the receiving or offending end of a conversation. Personally I hold my phone with the pinky as under-support as well (or the palm of my hand, it varies), but the finger rests closer towards the side of the phone much like that illustration so not near the lightning port and not on-top of the microphones.

Hopefully someone sees this! I don't know if this is the right thread but I might as well try.

So my sibling's iPhone is having a problem where it says that it's in headphone mode but he has nothing connected through the jack. He doesn't have any wireless headphones either. We've tried resetting it and closing all the apps. We've also tried blowing air into it. Nothing.

Any suggestions please?

Hopefully someone sees this! I don't know if this is the right thread but I might as well try.

So my sibling's iPhone is having a problem where it says that it's in headphone mode but he has nothing connected through the jack. He doesn't have any wireless headphones either. We've tried resetting it and closing all the apps. We've also tried blowing air into it. Nothing.

Any suggestions please?

Soft Reset: Hold sleep and home button for 10 seconds (pre iPhone 7) or volume down + sleep (iPhone 7+), until the apple logo appears (obviously with 7, no 3.5mm jack, but if for whatever reason they changed it for everything...)

Port cleaning: Alcohol wipes? Usually to clean the port you would use isopropyl alcohol on a swab. Or an alcohol wipe rolled on a toothpick, something like that.

Hard reset: If neither of those work Genius Bar would definitely ask to do a hard reset. Back up your stuff to icloud, then do Erase All Content and Settings, then DON'T restore from iCloud just to see if it's unstuck on blank. Then try restoring iCloud and see if its stuck/unstuck.

Genius Bar almost always does soft then hard reset, and will use a flashlight to examine the 3.5mm port. If the port is clear and both tests don't do anything, that's when they would recommend a hardware change or repair.

SOLDIER

Didn't see a seperate iPad thread, so just wanted to ask here: what's the difference between the latest iPad Pro model and the previous iteration?

Wondering if it's anything worth trading in my current iPad for.

Didn't see a seperate iPad thread, so just wanted to ask here: what's the difference between the latest iPad Pro model and the previous iteration?

Wondering if it's anything worth trading in my current iPad for.

link

Basically a new processor, 120hz for pencil and adaptive frame rates, and better screen quality. It's really great and yet not a tremendous jump?

SOLDIER

link

Basically a new processor, 120hz for pencil and adaptive frame rates, and better screen quality. It's really great and yet not a tremendous jump?

Any good trade-in deals for it, or am I better off just selling my old one on eBay?

Also is it the same size? Does the official Smart Keyboard cover work the same?

Any good trade-in deals for it, or am I better off just selling my old one on eBay?

Also is it the same size? Does the official Smart Keyboard cover work the same?

12" is the same. The 10" is a whole new one so you'd be starting over with that. No idea on deals, I'm not in North America. But as usual the typical answer is "none really".

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So while I was at the Apple Store today dropping my MacBook off for repair I decided to check out the wallet cases for my 7 Plus. They had two or three kinds. I picked one and bought it. I can see it'll take some getting used to. Some observations from only a few hours of use:

It only holds three cards, or rather has three slots. One for the drivers license and two others for credit cards or whatnot. I have a debit card and a credit card, but I also have a bunch of store cards. But I don't even use most of them so I decided to only put my credit and debit cards in it and one store card and my Regal card even though I literally only go to the movies once a year. Obviously too many cards would make it too thick. Even with just those five it's a bit bulky when closing it. It doesn't sit flat, instead sits partially open. I took the two non-credit cards out and it's a little better. I have my store card in the Keyring app (I wish I could put Keyring access on the Wallet app screen so I don't have to actually launch the app.) so I don't need to keep it with me and I'll just grab my Regal card when I need it. Even then I do wish it could magnetically close or something.

I picked one with an easily flexible flap. So it's not stiff. The other model was a bit stiff so I passed even though it had an extra slot. So if I open it to use it, it's easy and stays in place. Plus it also turns into a stand for watching videos I guess.

The plastic casing part doesn't have buttons so the ones on the phone are a little more difficult to press. Would be nice if it had buttons like the Apple official cases have.

And since I'm so used to my iPad's old case that utilized the magnetic sleep feature when the flap is closed I find myself completely forgetting to sleep it before putting it in my pocket. While it's fine because it won't accidentally press anything, it's a habit I hope I can break. Until then I set the sleep to 1 minute instead of 5 to hopefully not lose so much battery. For some reason the proximity sensor only turns the screen off if it's on the lock screen and not when it's awake. Seems they should fix that as it would be a fine compromise. I do wish they would design the next phone with cases like these in mind and either make the sensor wake the device when the flap is opened (As an option) or build a magnetic power switch into it like the iPad and give case designers access to it. (Maybe even make their own wallet or flapped case in the process.)

I'm giving up the ability to quickly whip it out to check the time with the "Raise to wake" feature.

I also kind of wish it had a hole for the clock to peer through, though I guess the proximity sensor would prevent it from even turning on even if it had one. Plus you'd lose a few card slots too.

It's also a bit more of a chore to use the flashlight since I have to hold it with the flap open and can't fold it over since obviously it covers the light. Same with the camera.

I miss the beautiful black metal back of my phone. But I'm glad to know I have some protection if I drop it. (Hopefully. Haven't dropped it yet.) I'm just glad they didn't do the cliche move of putting a hole in the back just to let the logo show through.

I don't know what Apple's return policy is on cases but I'll give it until I come home from vacation to decide whether to keep it or return it. I think I could get used to it. It'll take some changes in my routines but then again so did upgrading from a 5C to a 7 Plus and I got used to that quickly.

So while I was at the Apple Store today dropping my MacBook off for repair I decided to check out the wallet cases for my 7 Plus. They had two or three kinds. I picked one and bought it. I can see it'll take some getting used to. Some observations from only a few hours of use:

It only holds three cards, or rather has three slots. One for the drivers license and two others for credit cards or whatnot. I have a debit card and a credit card, but I also have a bunch of store cards. But I don't even use most of them so I decided to only put my credit and debit cards in it and one store card and my Regal card even though I literally only go to the movies once a year. Obviously too many cards would make it too thick. Even with just those five it's a bit bulky when closing it. It doesn't sit flat, instead sits partially open. I took the two non-credit cards out and it's a little better. I have my store card in the Keyring app (I wish I could put Keyring access on the Wallet app screen so I don't have to actually launch the app.) so I don't need to keep it with me and I'll just grab my Regal card when I need it. Even then I do wish it could magnetically close or something.

I picked one with an easily flexible flap. So it's not stiff. The other model was a bit stiff so I passed even though it had an extra slot. So if I open it to use it, it's easy and stays in place. Plus it also turns into a stand for watching videos I guess.

The plastic casing part doesn't have buttons so the ones on the phone are a little more difficult to press. Would be nice if it had buttons like the Apple official cases have.

And since I'm so used to my iPad's old case that utilized the magnetic sleep feature when the flap is closed I find myself completely forgetting to sleep it before putting it in my pocket. While it's fine because it won't accidentally press anything, it's a habit I hope I can break. Until then I set the sleep to 1 minute instead of 5 to hopefully not lose so much battery. For some reason the proximity sensor only turns the screen off if it's on the lock screen and not when it's awake. Seems they should fix that as it would be a fine compromise. I do wish they would design the next phone with cases like these in mind and either make the sensor wake the device when the flap is opened (As an option) or build a magnetic power switch into it like the iPad and give case designers access to it. (Maybe even make their own wallet or flapped case in the process.)

I'm giving up the ability to quickly whip it out to check the time with the "Raise to wake" feature.

I also kind of wish it had a hole for the clock to peer through, though I guess the proximity sensor would prevent it from even turning on even if it had one. Plus you'd lose a few card slots too.

It's also a bit more of a chore to use the flashlight since I have to hold it with the flap open and can't fold it over since obviously it covers the light. Same with the camera.

I miss the beautiful black metal back of my phone. But I'm glad to know I have some protection if I drop it. (Hopefully. Haven't dropped it yet.) I'm just glad they didn't do the cliche move of putting a hole in the back just to let the logo show through.

I don't know what Apple's return policy is on cases but I'll give it until I come home from vacation to decide whether to keep it or return it. I think I could get used to it. It'll take some changes in my routines but then again so did upgrading from a 5C to a 7 Plus and I got used to that quickly.

14 days. Also you should just download the Regal app and put your rewards card in Wallet, save some space

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
14 days. Also you should just download the Regal app and put your rewards card in Wallet, save some space
That’s a good idea. I didn’t think of that. Probably because the only thing I have in my Wallet right now is the store card for the supermarket I work at which is pretty big and important around here but doesn’t even have an app. I mean come on!

Edit: I downloaded the app and set up the account with my current card but I can’t figure out how to add it to wallet.

That’s a good idea. I didn’t think of that. Probably because the only thing I have in my Wallet right now is the store card for the supermarket I work at which is pretty big and important around here but doesn’t even have an app. I mean come on!

Edit: I downloaded the app and set up the account with my current card but I can’t figure out how to add it to wallet.

Middle button, tap on the big purple box with the numbers in it

SOLDIER

Got an iPhone 7 Plus coming in, so I wanted to get some recommendations on cases to cover the back.

Specifically I want a case that is:

1. Inexpensive

2. Does not add any meaningful bulk or weight to the phone

3. Preferably novelty, something cool and pop culture-y

Amazon's got these bitchin' Shinra logo cases, but I wonder if the build quality justifies that price.

Top Bottom