• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

Joe

I have no idea where to post this but I thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

This guy is a former analyst and business manager for Nokia and he graphed out iPhone pricing as an average selling price for each generation

Horace Dediu @asymco

iPhone pricing is not a mystery.

9:07 AM · Jul 30, 2017 - https://twitter.com/asymco/status/891646464451129344

screenshot_30.png

screenshot_31.png

dEvAnGeL

question bump.

coming from an iPhone 6s the 7 feels so slow, i also noticed that when fully closing apps the phone get like "frozen" for about 2 seconds, all the info in the top part of the phone disappears, like the carrier info, battery, time, and than it comes back, at first i thought it was my phone but a friend has the 7 also and the same thing happens on his phone, this happening to anyone else? is this s firmware issue?

SOLDIER

Question about the iPhone 7 Plus: is it normal for it to get warm to the touch? Perhaps it depends on what you're running on it and for how long (I've been plugging in a whole lot of hours of FF Record Keeper during work), and the phone feels a bit warm on my hands and even on my pocket. Just wondering if that's normal or not.

Miggytronz

Question about the iPhone 7 Plus: is it normal for it to get warm to the touch? Perhaps it depends on what you're running on it and for how long (I've been plugging in a whole lot of hours of FF Record Keeper during work), and the phone feels a bit warm on my hands and even on my pocket. Just wondering if that's normal or not.
I just got one last night and I noticed that right away.

question bump.

coming from an iPhone 6s the 7 feels so slow, i also noticed that when fully closing apps the phone get like "frozen" for about 2 seconds, all the info in the top part of the phone disappears, like the carrier info, battery, time, and than it comes back, at first i thought it was my phone but a friend has the 7 also and the same thing happens on his phone, this happening to anyone else? is this s firmware issue?

Not only have I not seen this, I haven't heard about it. I'm loathe to say it's a coincidence, but seriously, back to the Apple Store with it.

zedge

Figured this would be the best place to ask.

If I sell my 6s plus which still has a year of apple care, does that just follow the device to the new owner? Or do I have to have it transferred? I have seen both answers, a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.

Figured this would be the best place to ask.

If I sell my 6s plus which still has a year of apple care, does that just follow the device to the new owner? Or do I have to have it transferred? I have seen both answers, a bit confused.

Thanks in advance.

TECHNICALLY both answers are correct. AppleCare+ is assigned to the serial number of the device itself, and follows that device no matter who the owner is. However, the original owner can at any time call up Apple and get a prorated refund on the AC+ left unused. So there is an official way to also transfer ownership of AC+ so that doesn’t happen

zedge

TECHNICALLY both answers are correct. AppleCare+ is assigned to the serial number of the device itself, and follows that device no matter who the owner is. However, the original owner can at any time call up Apple and get a prorated refund on the AC+ left unused. So there is an official way to also transfer ownership of AC+ so that doesn't happen

Ah ok. Thank you!

*edit

Does Apple auto refund you if its not used?

Ah ok. Thank you!

*edit

Does Apple auto refund you if its not used?

No, because it’s a set 2 years from the original date of purchase. You have to cancel AC+ or just live out those two years in relative comfort. Keep in mind cancelling it after the first year of ownership immediately makes it out of warranty for everything

zedge

No, because it’s a set 2 years from the original date of purchase. You have to cancel AC+ or just live out those two years in relative comfort. Keep in mind cancelling it after the first year of ownership immediately makes it out of warranty for everything

Thanks again!

So I just got a text from. Verizon that I'm out of data, somehow Safari has used 20GB of data. Wtf? How could Safari do this? I only watch videos in the YouTube app, and use Safari for website browsing, but I've done nothing out of the ordinary this month.

SOLDIER

I seriously hate how videos like YouTube will overwrite my sound: I can never open a video at work because I'm afraid the sound is going to blast out of my phone even though I have it set to mute.

Is there no way to keep this from happening?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I seriously hate how videos like YouTube will overwrite my sound: I can never open a video at work because I'm afraid the sound is going to blast out of my phone even though I have it set to mute.

The switch on the side of your phone isn't an overall system volume mute switch, it's a mute switch for ringer volume, it doesn't apply to video or music. You'll need to lower the volume to zero separately.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

The switch on the side of your phone isn't an overall system volume mute switch, it's a mute switch for ringer volume, it doesn't apply to video or music. You'll need to lower the volume to zero separately.
I just tested it out and it seems YouTube uses the system volume instead of its own for some reason.

I really REALLY wish Apple would implement "Volume permissions" for apps with audio that you can find in settings in the same places as the settings for "Location permissions" and "Camera access", "Microphone access", etc. I don't understand why they haven't done it. You'd have a list of all apps that have their own volumes under the "Sounds & Haptics" section.

Hey, couple quick questions if someone can help...

Is the new iphone expected to be a smaller bump or one of the bigger bumps since they used to do one big then one small?

Do they immediately drop the price of the old model upon release/announcement of the new one? i.e. will iphone 7 be say $100 off a week or two from now?

My phone just broke so don't have a lot of wiggle room so trying to understand how bad it is getting a phone now with the new one being unveiled in days.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, do apple stores charge a restocking fee?

Blackhead

Redarse
Hey, couple quick questions if someone can help...

Is the new iphone expected to be a smaller bump or one of the bigger bumps since they used to do one big then one small?

Do they immediately drop the price of the old model upon release/announcement of the new one? i.e. will iphone 7 be say $100 off a week or two from now?

My phone just broke so don't have a lot of wiggle room so trying to understand how bad it is getting a phone now with the new one being unveiled in days.

Thanks!

Edit: Also, do apple stores charge a restocking fee?

• TWO new models this year; one a small bump and the other a big bump (with a big price bump too)
  • Yes
  • No

• TWO new models this year; one a small bump and the other a big bump (with a big price bump too)
  • Yes
  • No

Sweet, thanks for the help. If they don't charge restocking I might get the 7 now and then return or rebuy once the price drops. Sounds like what would replace the normal 7 is the smaller bump, definitely not getting the rumored $1000+ one so seems ok.

Thanks again for the quick reply.

Ashhong

Yea, most retail stores are also 14 days for phones. And who knows when the next phone will be available. Livingsocial right now has 20% off site wide and it looks like they have cheap iPhones if you need one temporarily

Just got the 32GB 7plus. The guy said they're pretty lenient if I decide to keep the phone if they drop it $100 within 21 days of me buying it. I've never had an iPhone so I'll see how I like it after only having nexus phones. Is there a good list somewhere of all the ios shortcuts/instructions for newbies?

Restoring from an ipad backup is still estimating... This may take a while.

What do you mean?

Everything is flipped almost from how you do it on android so all of your muscle memory is wrong making it just frustrating to use.

Is there no way to stop iTunes downloads? It keeps wanting to download all my movies to match my ipad but there's not enough room but I can't find any way to cancel them. Clicking cancel or stop in the TV app does nothing.

Edit: Apparently there's no way to stop downloads it put in the queue. Are you serious with this apple?

Also, is there really no way to get to music controls except for swiping multiple times?

jts

...hate me...
it's the same phone in different lighting :p

what do you think the resale/trade-in value would be though? How much would you pay for it?
Fooled me well.

Heh, it's hard to say but I'm thinking a hit around the €/$50-70 mark compared to an unscratched equivalent iPhone.

I do believe in enjoying a patina with certain finishes (just the like the polished stainless steel backs of old) but it's personal, so it's not fun to inherit someone else's. If you're in for the resale game and minimizing costs of upgrading regularly, avoid that kind of finish.

Cancel how? Clicking and swiping do nothing.

So I tested it. Started downloading a movie from the iTunes app, went to the downloads screen, paused the download, and the swiped to cancel and nothing happened. Tried it a few more times, nothing. Force quit iTunes and relaunched it and nothing was downloading anymore

So I tested it. Started downloading a movie from the iTunes app, went to the downloads screen, paused the download, and the swiped to cancel and nothing happened. Tried it a few more times, nothing. Force quit iTunes and relaunched it and nothing was downloading anymore
Force quit as in double click home and swipe away?

Hmm, works on new ones but won't work on old ones. OS isn't very smart to not allow any changes to a backup from iCloud.

Is there a way to delete iCloud backups? I think it's got my old defective iPad on their so it's saying it's too full to backup my phone.

Force quit as in double click home and swipe away?

Hmm, works on new ones but won't work on old ones. OS isn't very smart to not allow any changes to a backup from iCloud.

Is there a way to delete iCloud backups? I think it's got my old defective iPad on their so it's saying it's too full to backup my phone.

Settings-Your name at the top-iCloud-manage storage-Delete the backups you want

How has the headphone to lightning adapter held up for people? I'm afraid that'll fray/break after a short period of time.

Funny you should ask. I use one in my car since my radio doesn't do USB or Bluetooth streaming, but does have an Aux jack. I now have to wiggle it to get it to work right. I'm like 95% sure it's the adapter and not the Aux cable itself. I have another one at home so I can test it out.

Funny you should ask. I use one in my car since my radio doesn't do USB or Bluetooth streaming, but does have an Aux jack. I now have to wiggle it to get it to work right. I'm like 95% sure it's the adapter and not the Aux cable itself. I have another one at home so I can test it out.

SoundBot SB360 Bluetooth 4.0 Car Kit Hands-Free Wireless Talking & Music Streaming Dongle w/ 10W Dual Port 2.1A USB Charger + Magnetic Mounts + Built-in 3.5mm Aux Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RH29CJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah, just from using it it feels like I randomly put stress on it at one of the junctions where cables in the past like that always break.

SoundBot SB360 Bluetooth 4.0 Car Kit Hands-Free Wireless Talking & Music Streaming Dongle w/ 10W Dual Port 2.1A USB Charger + Magnetic Mounts + Built-in 3.5mm Aux Cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RH29CJO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Yeah I've had that on my Amazon wishlist for awhile and just forgot about it. Any idea how this works with existing Bluetooth for phone calls though? My car has built in Bluetooth connectivity for receiving and making voice activated phone calls and I always wondered if this would interfere with it. What I'd like is to use the SoundBot for audio streaming only, and be able to use my existing hands free calling. Is that possible?

Yeah I've had that on my Amazon wishlist for awhile and just forgot about it. Any idea how this works with existing Bluetooth for phone calls though? My car has built in Bluetooth connectivity for receiving and making voice activated phone calls and I always wondered if this would interfere with it. What I'd like is to use the SoundBot for audio streaming only, and be able to use my existing hands free calling. Is that possible?

That I don’t know, I use the soundbot for my phone calls

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Jet Black iPhone 7 owners: One year later, what does the back of your phone look like?

anyone here with jet black and want to share pictures (case or caseless)?

Bought an iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black on launch day - and just like every single other iPhone I've purchased (back to the original), I didn't bother with a case. Don't get me wrong, if I get a small ding on my 3DS? Then I need a new 3DS. A crease in the art of my strategy guide? It kills me. But a cellphone is a tool, and I don't baby my tools. My 7 is scratched and scuffed and knicked to hell and back - but it's been well-loved and still works great. Each scratch is a story kind of thing.

Bought an iPhone 7 Plus in Jet Black on launch day - and just like every single other iPhone I've purchased (back to the original), I didn't bother with a case. Don't get me wrong, if I get a small ding on my 3DS? Then I need a new 3DS. A crease in the art of my strategy guide? It kills me. But a cellphone is a tool, and I don't baby my tools. My 7 is scratched and scuffed and knicked to hell and back - but it's been well-loved and still works great. Each scratch is a story kind of thing.

I just hate the thickness. Tablets I still baby only due to cost (ipad pro) but phones are getting smaller and smaller and I feel stupid having this big brick that doubles the weight and size of the phone and obscures the color that I wanted. I've also dropped my phone in a manner that's broken it so that's part of it too, I just don't see it happening often enough to defeat part of the purpose of it.

Top Bottom