• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

NeoBob688

I have a problem where if I rotate my phone while typing text messages, instead of getting the horizontal enlarged keyboard I instead get a white screen with some shortcuts in another language (I used to have a second language keyboard, but removed that). How do I get rid of this? There is a button that sometimes shows up to remove this, but only temporarily but I want to be completely rid of this.

I have a problem where if I rotate my phone while typing text messages, instead of getting the horizontal enlarged keyboard I instead get a white screen with some shortcuts in another language (I used to have a second language keyboard, but removed that). How do I get rid of this? There is a button that sometimes shows up to remove this, but only temporarily but I want to be completely rid of this.

Can you take a screenshot?

Pakoe

The day has finally come, I can upgrade from my iPhone 6 16GB.
Wasn't sure which one to get, but in the end I went for the iPhone 7+ 128GB.
Can't wait to start messing around with it, just have to survive these 8 hours of work first.
I will never go for something like 16GB or 32GB again. These two years have been hard lol.

Deku Tree

Well Apple took my phone in for the repair and when I went to pick it up they gave me a new iPhone 7 Plus. I asked and the sales guy said that they don't have any refurbs in that store, so it was new. Said something about the logic board, but he didn't really know what was the problem.

The day has finally come, I can upgrade from my iPhone 6 16GB.
Wasn't sure which one to get, but in the end I went for the iPhone 7+ 128GB.
Can't wait to start messing around with it, just have to survive these 8 hours of work first.
I will never go for something like 16GB or 32GB again. These two years have been hard lol.

Always get the most you can afford at that moment. Always. I went with the 256. I'll never ever need that much but I never want to think about storage being an issue

Well Apple took my phone in for the repair and when I went to pick it up they gave me a new iPhone 7 Plus. I asked and the sales guy said that they don't have any refurbs in that store, so it was new. Said something about the logic board, but he didn't really know what was the problem.

Apple Store diagnostics are both very useful and very limited. It can't really test the board for everything, it mostly tests the surrounding components and things can be extrapolated from there.

Was it new in box, like a retail box?

Deku Tree

Always get the most you can afford at that moment. Always. I went with the 256. I'll never ever need that much but I never want to think about storage being an issue

Apple Store diagnostics are both very useful and very limited. It can't really test the board for everything, it mostly tests the surrounding components and things can be extrapolated from there.

Was it new in box, like a retail box?

I didn't get a close look but it didn't look like a full retail box and they only gave me the phone no other things that normally come in the retail box. But I don't think the guy would lie about it not being a refurb.

I didn't get a close look but it didn't look like a full retail box and they only gave me the phone no other things that normally come in the retail box. But I don't think the guy would lie about it not being a refurb.

Ah, so it was a Genius Bar swap. Here's where some politics come into play. Is it a brand new retail device? No. Are you the first owner of that phone? Yes. Genius Bar swaps are considered either new or remanufactured, depending on time of year and supply and all that. If it's new it comes from the same factory as retail devices, just with no extras and in a different box. If it's remanufactured it has a new enclosure, screen, battery, from the same sources as retail devices, but some of the internals may have been made from previous parts melted down and reconstructed.

But he did not lie to you, it is NOT a refurbished device. It is not previously owned.

Looking for some feedback.

I cracked my screen. Had It in my hand had a car door slam into that hand. Hands fine phone has a big ok' crack.

Is the best option really getting AppleCare and then paying for the glass repair? The LCD works great, it's just unsightly (and pretty sure I have no safety from water anymore).

Local repair shops are all locked in at around the same price ($150-165)

Looking for some feedback.

I cracked my screen. Had It in my hand had a car door slam into that hand. Hands fine phone has a big ok' crack.

Is the best option really getting AppleCare a

nd then paying for the glass repair? The LCD works great, it's just unsightly (and pretty sure I have no safety from water anymore).

Local repair shops are all locked in at around the same price ($150-165)

Well, you can't get AppleCare+ after damaging the phone without circumventing the system. Which is totally possible but officially you can't walk into a store with a cracked screen and get AC+ on it. It's like buying home insurance after your place burns down and wanting it to be covered.

Apple's non-AppleCare display rate for an iPhone 7 is $129 and a 7 Plus is $149. That's off the street no insurance at all. AC+ is a one-time payment of $129 and a display replacement is $29. So you're usually just a little north of just paying the out-of-pocket price after one use. However, you get two uses of it within two years from when you bought the phone (no matter when you bought AC+) so one more crack and you're on top

DOWN

Banned
Is there any legit way to just get a fresh iPhone via Apple Care+? I wont do the whole "toss the phone in a sock in the dryer so the overheat diagnostic gets tripped" thing that my friends have done with success and I've never broken a phone so "just wait for the inevitable screen crack" doesn't apply

I'm selling my brother's iPhone 7 on eBay. Someone asked for the IMEI number... is it safe to give that out?

Eh, generally yes. The iCloud lock check got taken down but it's still useful for checkcoverage.apple.com. But I would ask why they want it

Is there any legit way to just get a fresh iPhone via Apple Care+? I wont do the whole "toss the phone in a sock in the dryer so the overheat diagnostic gets tripped" thing that my friends have done with success and I've never broken a phone so "just wait for the inevitable screen crack" doesn't apply

What do you need a new phone for?

Pakoe

Always get the most you can afford at that moment. Always. I went with the 256. I'll never ever need that much but I never want to think about storage being an issue.

Yeah, agreed. Didn't know back them since I came from android.
This 7+ is amazing though, jesus.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
People with large storage amounts on your iPhones, what are you using it all for? Out of curiosity of course. I can't even imagine filling it all up with anything on iOS. I mean if there was an option for iCloud Drive to download and keep all my files (I have a 200GB plan and only use like 60 right now.) so I never have to download them again and they'd always be with me then I could see that. Maybe videos? Are you using it for videos? I can see keeping some of your favorite movies or TV episodes with you.

I mean I only have a 32GB and it's enough for me right now. (My next phone I'll probably go 64/128, whichever is the next step up from 32 at the time, unless 64 is standard baseline by then, lol right.) I only have like 27GB music which I convert down to fit better (Only takes up 12GB as I don't sync all of it. Only like 15GB. I guess most of it is purchased music that doesn't even convert anyway since it's already the right bitrate.) and 3GB photos, which I set to download and keep all. That and 3.2GB apps (I'm very selective and hate keeping apps I know I don't use or won't use much again.) and whatever the 6GB of documents is and I'm still left with 7GB empty.

I mean I guess it could be great if you like to take a lot of videos on vacations and a lot of photos with your friends and family.

Guess I'm just wondering how I'd struggle to even fill all that space.

I was getting in trouble for streaming so much from Apple Music. We weren't going over the data plan but were getting pretty close every month. So I have it set to auto-download everything I add to my library. That's about 80GB+ at the moment

People with large storage amounts on your iPhones, what are you using it all for?
My 32gb iPad Mini is often filled to bursting because of games, I don't even keep music on it.

There are plenty of games that are several GBs in size (KOTOR, Bastion, Transistor, FF9, etc) , and even the ones that aren't can add up in size pretty quickly (having all the Kingdom Rush games for example) or games that have been updated a lot so they end up being big (like PvZ 2).

Its not that bad if I only keep one or two big games and remove the ones I rarely ever play, but as soon as I decide to download a few videos or load up on podcasts for a trip, I need to be very careful with my storage.

If I get an iPhone to use as my phone, I'd probably need at least 128gb of storage between music, podcasts, audiobooks, video, and apps/games. My current phone has a 128gb memory card in addition to 32gb internal and that has been a pretty good comfortable size for me.

People with large storage amounts on your iPhones, what are you using it all for? Out of curiosity of course. I can't even imagine filling it all up with anything on iOS. I mean if there was an option for iCloud Drive to download and keep all my files (I have a 200GB plan and only use like 60 right now.) so I never have to download them again and they'd always be with me then I could see that. Maybe videos? Are you using it for videos? I can see keeping some of your favorite movies or TV episodes with you.

I mean I only have a 32GB and it's enough for me right now. (My next phone I'll probably go 64/128, whichever is the next step up from 32 at the time, unless 64 is standard baseline by then, lol right.) I only have like 27GB music which I convert down to fit better (Only takes up 12GB as I don't sync all of it. Only like 15GB. I guess most of it is purchased music that doesn't even convert anyway since it's already the right bitrate.) and 3GB photos, which I set to download and keep all. That and 3.2GB apps (I'm very selective and hate keeping apps I know I don't use or won't use much again.) and whatever the 6GB of documents is and I'm still left with 7GB empty.

I mean I guess it could be great if you like to take a lot of videos on vacations and a lot of photos with your friends and family.

I have a 256GB phone. Half full.

Photos and videos - 50GB
Spotify - 40GB
Podcasts - 5GB

That's the bulk of it. My google maps is almost 1GB as I have set it to download pretty large areas offline and do that anytime I go on holiday.

I could easily trim this down but I basically go for the most memory intensive option any time I can, don't really prune through pictures, download things to an offline mode and don't really delete things when I'm done with them - I think I still have a great chunk of brazil downloaded to offline maps even though I'm probably not going back anytime soon!

My last phone was 128 I think, and never really got close to filling it. It's surprising how much memory you can use when it's just...there.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

26-ish GB available from 32. If you have 15GB of music that only leaves 11GB for other stuff. You could use that up with literally a handful of apps. Plus icloud photos never gets any smaller.

thats one thing I hope they improve. I'd like some way to limit the size or even remove anything except thumbnails for things older than a couple of years. The current options aren't granular enough. Why I can't delete something from my phone but keep it on my icloud library I don't know.

32GB is a much better starting point than 16GB, but it is frustrating they don't have a 64GB option which would be my sweet spot. So just like with my ipad pro, I'd be struggling to figure out if I could manage with 32, or jump £100 to get the 128, on an already expensive device.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
32GB is a much better starting point than 16GB, but it is frustrating they don't have a 64GB option which would be my sweet spot. So just like with my ipad pro, I'd be struggling to figure out if I could manage with 32, or jump £100 to get the 128, on an already expensive device.
Yeah, 32 is nice as a base. But 64 would be so much better. It really should be 64, 128, 256. They obviously make it 32 so people are more inclined to upgrade, but that doesn't help the people like me who didn't even have the option to get the 128 when I bought my phone with no indication of when it would be available again. I had no choice but to get 32 now because it could have been months before they had 128 in stock again. I don't even need 128GB. At least right now. 64 would be good enough for breathing room and not having to worry about running out casually. But if Apple made it so I could cache all my iCloud Drive stuff (80GB used of my 200GB limit) to my phone to fill up that space then it'd be useful to me.

Right now I have 7GB free. I don't install many apps.

Futureman

Selling my brother's iPhone is the biggest PITA. Not sure why I signed up for this...

What carriers will an iPhone 7 Plus AT&T work on? Just AT&T and T-Mobile? or can you use it on any carrier?

Selling my brother's iPhone is the biggest PITA. Not sure why I signed up for this...

What carriers will an iPhone 7 Plus AT&T work on? Just AT&T and T-Mobile? or can you use it on any carrier?
Assuming it is unlocked it will work on AT&T, T-Mobile and their prepaid services like Cricket and MetroPCS.

Futureman

Assuming it is unlocked it will work on AT&T, T-Mobile and their prepaid services like Cricket and MetroPCS.

and it's not unlocked (or able to be unlocked) until my brother pays off his final bill in full?

he was assuring me that wasn't the case the other day, but my Dad owns the account this is happening on and he talked to AT&T today and they told him the phone won't work if someone buys it until the bill is paid in full.

and it's not unlocked (or able to be unlocked) until my brother pays off his final bill in full?

he was assuring me that wasn't the case the other day, but my Dad owns the account this is happening on and he talked to AT&T today and they told him the phone won't work if someone buys it until the bill is paid in full.

Correct, the phone has to be paid off to work on anything but AT&T. And even then it'll only work on AT&T and T-Mobile. No CDMA carriers like Verizon or Sprint

I have a question? How feasible it be to buy an iPhone 7+ to try out?

I've been an Android user for years and I'm still satisfied. I haven't really cared for iPhone at all. Recently however, I have gotten the urge to use iPhone. Mainly because I like everything I am reading about the iPhone ™ Edition set for release later this year. So it would be jarring to spend $1,000 on a phone I end up disliking. So I wanted to but a 7+ to use and get accustomed to iOS. Does Apple have a return period? If I decide to keep the 7+, do they have an upgrade program so that I can immediately get the next iPhone at a slightly cheaper cost? I can go to the Apple store as soon as tomorrow to get one if I like want I read.

I have a question? How feasible it be to buy an iPhone 7+ to try out?

I've been an Android user for years and I'm still satisfied. I haven't really cared for iPhone at all. Recently however, I have gotten the urge to use iPhone. Mainly because I like everything I am reading about the iPhone ™ Edition set for release later this year. So it would be jarring to spend $1,000 on a phone I end up disliking. So I wanted to but a 7+ to use and get accustomed to iOS. Does Apple have a return period? If I decide to keep the 7+, do they have an upgrade program so that I can immediately get the next iPhone at a slightly cheaper cost? I can go to the Apple store as soon as tomorrow to get one if I like want I read.

Apple’s return period is 14 days, even if it’s opened and used. They do have an upgrade program but you have to pay off 12 months worth of payments on it before you can upgrade, and the minimum time to pass before you can upgrade is six months. So if you sign up today the earliest you can upgrade is December

Apple’s return period is 14 days, even if it’s opened and used. They do have an upgrade program but you have to pay off 12 months worth of payments on it before you can upgrade, and the minimum time to pass before you can upgrade is six months. So if you sign up today the earliest you can upgrade is December
I was planning on buying it outright. So there isn't an upgrade plan that way?

I was planning on buying it outright. So there isn't an upgrade plan that way?

Not specifically an “upgrade plan”. If you buy it outright you are free to trade it in to Apple when the new phones come out. But as always you’ll make more just by selling it yourself. I think Apple is buying 7 Plus phones for $450 right now

Not specifically an “upgrade plan”. If you buy it outright you are free to trade it in to Apple when the new phones come out. But as always you’ll make more just by selling it yourself. I think Apple is buying 7 Plus phones for $450 right now
Interesting. I think I'll head to the store tomorrow and see how I feel. $450 off the newest iPhone doesn't seem that bad.

So I went ahead and bought the 7+. God help us when the iPhone X is announced. The 7+ cost $949 after taxes which is insane, but whatever. The smoothness of iOS is not an exaggeration in the least. It's almost surreal how much more optimized apps are for iOS compared to Android. The only thing that I don't like so far is the notifications; It's trash and I can't believe Apple hasn't address this yet. I'll continue using it and see if I warm up to it.

finalflame

Gold Member
So I went ahead and bought the 7+. God help us when the iPhone X is announced. The 7+ cost $949 after taxes which is insane, but whatever. The smoothness of iOS is not an exaggeration in the least. It's almost surreal how much more optimized apps are for iOS compared to Android. The only thing that I don't like so far is the notifications; It's trash and I can't believe Apple hasn't address this yet. I'll continue using it and see if I warm up to it.

Can you explain why you feel this way?

Vyer

which android phone are you coming from?

and yeah the app difference is a real thing, not so much availability quite as much (other than games), but the combo with optimization.

it's even more glaring in tablet devices

I don't like how notification are placed in order of time it was received rather than priority. A text message is far more important to me than an update on news. In addition, I don't think there's enough I can do with a notification. On Nougat, if I receive a cluster of emails there's an icon indicating that. But from the notification shade I can delete whichever one I want and read whichever from the shade instead of opening the app. I now I can use 3D touch to reply to messages but that isn't enough. And watching WWDC, iOS 11 doesn't fix anything.
which android phone are you coming from?

and yeah the app difference is a real thing, not so much availability quite as much (other than games), but the combo with optimization.

it's even more glaring in tablet devices
One Plus 3T/ Nexus 6P so stock Android. The 3T is close to the smoothness of the 7 but there are hiccups here and there but that's because of Android. It's funny that Google apps are better on iOS. I can't believe we can't have access to music controls (rewind, fast forward) on the lock screen or on the notification tab like iOS. Hilarious.

finalflame

Gold Member
I don't like how notification are placed in order of time it was received rather than priority. A text message is far more important to me than an update on news. In addition, I don't think there's enough I can do with a notification. On Nougat, if I receive a cluster of emails there's an icon indicating that. But from the notification shade I can delete whichever one I want and read whichever from the shade instead of opening the app. I now I can use 3D touch to reply to messages but that isn't enough. And watching WWDC, iOS 11 doesn't fix anything.

Makes sense. I work heavily with Android devices for work, but have been using iOS since the original iPhone. I totally understand the criticisms of the more simplistic notification system in iOS, but I guess for my personally I just never cared to have that many actions available directly from a notification. It makes sense that you'd miss that functionality, however.

I think just overall the philosophy behind the Notification Drawer in Android is different from how Apple sees their notification drawer.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Notifications really need an overhaul and it's a shame they're still not perfect even in iOS 11. But at least 11 is early beta and with feedback we could convince them. But probably not. All I really want is better grouping, some sorting options, less wasted space on grouped notifications, (Like all Twitter notifications would be in a single box) stuff like that. Yeah, being able to once again group by app, set the order of which apps to put at the top, maybe put in a collapsing option to only show 3 at once with a "More" button.

On the one hand, it seems Apple's currently experimenting with NC access from how you now get a lock screen when you swipe down. Rumor has it its preparing for iPhone Edition, but let's hope they don't go full hog on the new fancy Edition and forget there's still a lot of people who still have to use the older style "legacy" iPhones with their fancy classic home buttons and non-edge reaching screens. Right now they're totally rewriting the whole thing. So let's hope they're currently hard at work trying to make NC work how people want it to. Send that feedback, people!

Makes sense. I work heavily with Android devices for work, but have been using iOS since the original iPhone. I totally understand the criticisms of the more simplistic notification system in iOS, but I guess for my personally I just never cared to have that many actions available directly from a notification. It makes sense that you'd miss that functionality, however.

I think just overall the philosophy behind the Notification Drawer in Android is different from how Apple sees their notification drawer.
I think Apple users would love it to be honest.
Notifications really need an overhaul and it's a shame they're still not perfect even in iOS 11. But at least 11 is early beta and with feedback we could convince them. But probably not. All I really want is better grouping, some sorting options, less wasted space on grouped notifications, (Like all Twitter notifications would be in a single box) stuff like that. Yeah, being able to once again group by app, set the order of which apps to put at the top, maybe put in a collapsing option to only show 3 at once with a "More" button.

On the one hand, it seems Apple's currently experimenting with NC access from how you now get a lock screen when you swipe down. Rumor has it its preparing for iPhone Edition, but let's hope they don't go full hog on the new fancy Edition and forget there's still a lot of people who still have to use the older style "legacy" iPhones with their fancy classic home buttons and non-edge reaching screens. Right now they're totally rewriting the whole thing. So let's hope they're currently hard at work trying to make NC work how people want it to. Send that feedback, people!
I hope so too. The only reason I picked up a 7+ is because I wanted to get used to using iOS because I really want that iPhone Edition. So I want to see improvements to the notification shade. Current iPhone users probably never noticed it but once they have it they'll notice how convenient it is.

Deku Tree

I was gonna get the iPhone 8 even though I have the seven but if iPhone 8 really doesn't have gigabit then I'm gonna wait for iPhone 9.

So I'm getting some sick battery drain right now. Battery life is like one of the most important things to me on a phone so I payed special attention to how the phone drains battery with the screen on, idling, and overnight drain. Last night I fell asleep with the phone at around 60% and woke up in the middle of the night at with it being at 33% Fast forward to later on today I kept the phone on my bed with the screen off while I used my android phone and I noticed that it went from 20% to 13% in under an hour.

I know I'm not going crazy because I was distinctly impressed with how good the battery life was during the first two days. What could be the cause?

So I'm getting some sick battery drain right now. Battery life is like one of the most important things to me on a phone so I payed special attention to how the phone drains battery with the screen on, idling, and overnight drain. Last night I fell asleep with the phone at around 60% and woke up in the middle of the night at with it being at 33% Fast forward to later on today I kept the phone on my bed with the screen off while I used my android phone and I noticed that it went from 20% to 13% in under an hour.

I know I'm not going crazy because I was distinctly impressed with how good the battery life was during the first two days. What could be the cause?

What does it say is the cause in the battery menu in settings? What version are you on?

Top Bottom