• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mik2121

-The 'key' you slide to unlock the phone has a cartoon-ish style that's not present in any other element.
-The golden frame in the second pic (the one with the triforce) is not there in the battery screen, it would probably look better with it.
-The font for the hour is not the same as the one for the date and other texts.
-In the call screen with the numbers, the bottom row of icons are the original ones, you should change them too to fit the Zelda theme
-The trifoce seems to be on some metallic wall or something, or at least made out of metal. You could make the heart have the same style so it feels like there's a metallic 'wall' when the phone is locked (can't explain myself better, sorry)

There are other problems like the readability of the Hylian numbers and whatnot, but it's your phone so if you don't mind having those... The font used for the hour isn't the prettiest font I've ever seen, you could maybe fix it by making it a bit smaller too, it's way too large now (or at least if feels very big).

Mik2121 said:
-The 'key' you slide to unlock the phone has a cartoon-ish style that's not present in any other element.
Yeah - limited by not being able to find a good picture of the Big Key to use. I'm open to anything better out there, but after 20 minutes of searching I had to give in and use the one from a Link to the Past.
Mik2121 said:
-The golden frame in the second pic (the one with the triforce) is not there in the battery screen, it would probably look better with it.
Agreed - I'm not aware of how to add a wallpaper to the battery screen, but I'll look into it.
Mik2121 said:
-The font for the hour is not the same as the one for the date and other texts.
This I have no idea how to change - if you have any links to info, I'd welcome it.
Mik2121 said:
-In the call screen with the numbers, the bottom row of icons are the original ones, you should change them too to fit the Zelda theme
Agreed - looking into that.
Mik2121 said:
-The trifoce seems to be on some metallic wall or something, or at least made out of metal. You could make the heart have the same style so it feels like there's a metallic 'wall' when the phone is locked (can't explain myself better, sorry)
I like the idea - I wish I could. I honestly don't really have the skills to make something like that from scratch (or at least, it would take a considerable amount of time for me), so I went with using the Twilight Princess heart container piece. (Which still took a good amount of time, actually. :))
Mik2121 said:
There are other problems like the readability of the Hylian numbers and whatnot, but it's your phone so if you don't mind having those... The font used for the hour isn't the prettiest font I've ever seen, you could maybe fix it by making it a bit smaller too, it's way too large now (or at least if feels very big).
Thanks for the feedback. It feels like some of this is simply due to me not having the know-how re: how to edit some of these things. The font for the time, for example, was simply the most scripty one I could find within the FontSwap app.

Thanks for explaining the inconsistencies you saw - I appreciate you going beyond the one-sentence criticism.

I have reached the point where I'm seriously considering going back to official firmware. My jailbroken 3g on 3.0 is just too slow. I don't follow the iPhone scene or this thread religiously so I'm not sure if this is a widespread issue with 3.0 or not. The only reason I jailbreak is for the Qik app, Cycorder, 5 icon dock and Rename (I have a tiny bit of OCD and like to neatly rename apps that have ugly and overly long names).

Please don't jump on me for the possibly noobish question. Anyone got some tips or insight?

mrkgoo

criesofthepast said:
I have reached the point where I'm seriously considering going back to official firmware. My jailbroken 3g on 3.0 is just too slow. I don't follow the iPhone scene or this thread religiously so I'm not sure if this is a widespread issue with 3.0 or not. The only reason I jailbreak is for the Qik app, Cycorder, 5 icon dock and Rename (I have a tiny bit of OCD and like to neatly rename apps that have ugly and overly long names).

Please don't jump on me for the possibly noobish question. Anyone got some tips or insight?

I have a 3g, and on 3.0 it is noticeably laggier when loading apps or changing screens.

Blackhead

Redarse
crisdecuba said:
I like the idea - I wish I could. I honestly don't really have the skills to make something like that from scratch (or at least, it would take a considerable amount of time for me), so I went with using the Twilight Princess heart container piece. (Which still took a good amount of time, actually. :))

Thanks for the feedback. It feels like some of this is simply due to me not having the know-how re: how to edit some of these things. The font for the time, for example, was simply the most scripty one I could find within the FontSwap app.

Thanks for explaining the inconsistencies you saw - I appreciate you going beyond the one-sentence criticism.
There are a few Zelda themes on Cydia. I'm pretty sure I've seen a heart container battery before... I like yours better.

I didn't know FontSwap was working on 3.0. Anyway, if you want to know how to get modify fonts for the iPhone, and install them the old fashioned way without FontSwap, follow this step-by-step guide

Hmm...
hoqhuuep said:
C'mon guys, not all themes are bad...

3rlom.jpg
Maybe you should switch the springboard font with one of the all caps neutraface ones?

finally got some free time to update to 3.0 and jailbreak/unlock again...

I've been backing up my iPhone for over an hour now, I don't remember it ever taking near this long before

I'm looking for a winterboard theme, it is basically identical to the mac os x dock, but I have no clue what it's name is

nevermind, remembered to hold shift and click restore, everything went as smooth as ever, restoring from my back up now

Madvillain said:
dropped my phone today. screen cracked.

it's a 3G. Anyone know if I can get a 16GB 3GS for $200 so long as I renew my contract?

if you can, I might be interested in taking the broken 3G off your hands, just let me know how much

Hi guys. I guess I'll step into the thread and pimp something I worked on recently. Free Wifi Tokyo is an app that maps out open wifi spots in Tokyo. Unlike other apps I've seen the maps are built into the application so you can search for wifi without being connected. The app also allows you to rank and view quality rankings of access points (requires network access) and to report new access points you've found (if you don't have network access we save the necessary data and send it the next time you go online).

I wonder if this type of app would be popular in other parts of the world?

App Store Link
main_menu_en_us.png

list_area_en_us-200x300.jpg

gmap_shibuya_applestore_en_us.jpg

ratings_en_us.jpg

location_submit_en_us.jpg

train_map_en_us.jpg

hoqhuuep

I should be doing hw said:
Bump for new page, simple question I just want to know.

The icons are Matte Nano, the font is NeutraFace, the background is custom (got it off of DeviantArt) with User Wallpaper and DimWallpaper enabled. The text is "white labels" with "icon shadow", the overall theme is Matte Graphite". I also use Noclock because for the lockscreen, I have MultiBarLockscreen running as well.

Most of it, you can find on macthemes.

criesofthepast said:

mrkgoo said:
I have a 3g, and on 3.0 it is noticeably laggier when loading apps or changing screens.
I'm also on 3.0 and jailbroken, and it is really fucking slow for me too. I'm sooo close to going back to the official firmware, but I've gotten so used to SBSettings and being able to swipe the top bar to get anything I need while in other programs.... and the whole fact that I can organize everything so neatly... arrrgh! Loading up text conversation takes FOREVER though.

mrkgoo

WordAssassin said:
I'm also on 3.0 and jailbroken, and it is really fucking slow for me too. I'm sooo close to going back to the official firmware, but I've gotten so used to SBSettings and being able to swipe the top bar to get anything I need while in other programs.... and the whole fact that I can organize everything so neatly... arrrgh! Loading up text conversation takes FOREVER though.

For the record, I'm not Jailbroken.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
For me jailbreaking has less to do with the themes than with added functionality. LockScreen Info is a godsend and turns the phone into an even better PDA, while SBSettings offers one-click access to toggling settings like wifi, 3g, processes, etc.

Cyport

Has any one else with a 3GS been getting wifi problems?

Mine seems to disconnect automatically now and I have to go to settings to reconnect, also the strength is much less than before however doesn't seem to affect the speed, just says it is.

hoqhuuep said:
The icons are Matte Nano, the font is NeutraFace, the background is custom (got it off of DeviantArt) with User Wallpaper and DimWallpaper enabled. The text is "white labels" with "icon shadow", the overall theme is Matte Graphite". I also use Noclock because for the lockscreen, I have MultiBarLockscreen running as well.

Most of it, you can find on macthemes.
Thanks to you and Foob for giving me an answer. Also wanted to know what that glassy looking Dock in your theme is from also, looks really cool.
Also to anyone that is savvy, how do I change the size of theme icons? The Matte Nano icons are all really small, not a fan of that.

Still working on it - getting stuck on the background to use on the main icon screen, but here are some updates:

ringer.PNG
soundon.PNG
mute2.PNG

Things to point out:
- The Triforce on the top bar is my wifi signal strength
- The different colored rupees represent my cell signal strength (along with a number indicating the number of bars - more bars = higher value rupee
- I tweaked the battery bar to look a little bit more like the magic meter
- Using hearts to represent the volume instead of the little white blocks
- The other tweaks should be obvious
:D

mrkgoo

crisdecuba said:
Still working on it - getting stuck on the background to use on the main icon screen, but here are some updates:

Things to point out:
- The different colored rupees represent my cell signal strength (along with a number indicating the number of bars - more bars = higher value rupee

All your icons are pretty neat - I do like the aesthetic. Obviously very abstract. I'm not sure I like it as a cohesive theme myself, however. I just find things like that to be too distracting. I like the main environment to be as simple and unobtrusive as possible, while remaining useful and elegant.

Even on my computers I tend to have desktop backgrounds that are simple colours or patterns. Photos tend to be quite monotone for example.

Mik2121

Why don't you just use something like this as the background:

masterswordblurred.jpg

Basically the background from the call screen but blurred so that the focus goes straight to the icons (where it should be)?. A blurred background (almost) always fits well with icons on top of it :p

MrOctober

Banned
So I just got the 3.1 update and now my iPhone won't play music through the speaker. It says it's playing and the timer counts but no sound comes out. The speaker isn't broken because other apps that use the speaker still play sound. Anyone else having this problem? And possible fixes?

Had a Genius appointment visit today since my iPhone 3GS touch screen would randomly not work but the home button would.

The Genius guy said he would reseat all the connections and see if it worked.

(it didnt) :(

I still run into random spouts of touch screen not responding. Guess I gotta set up another appointment.. Bleh.

Costanza

Banned
jailbroken people: apparently redsn0w works with 3.0.1 if you just update through iTunes and rerun it. if i do this, will all my cydia apps/data stay? don't want waste an entire afternoon on a restore tomorrow...

Burger

Costanza said:
jailbroken people: apparently redsn0w works with 3.0.1 if you just update through iTunes and rerun it. if i do this, will all my cydia apps/data stay? don't want waste an entire afternoon on a restore tomorrow...

Nope. They will be wiped, not backed up, and will not be put back on.

Wait for 3.1

*EDIT* Wait, I'm not sure about an update. A restore will definitely kill cydia. Not 100% on an update though.

hoqhuuep

I should be doing hw said:
Thanks to you and Foob for giving me an answer. Also wanted to know what that glassy looking Dock in your theme is from also, looks really cool.
Also to anyone that is savvy, how do I change the size of theme icons? The Matte Nano icons are all really small, not a fan of that.

There is also "matte regular" on macthemes, if you don't like the small icons. I used the big icons for a while too, before it felt too cluttered. As for the glassy dock, I'm not sure, but I think it came with the Matte Graphite theme. The reflection on the dock is from Cydia, aptly named Reflective Dock.

PM me if you have any other questions!

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
crisdecuba said:

ringer.PNG
soundon.PNG
mute2.PNG

Things to point out:

At first I was like "Meh" with some of your design choices, but you keep coming back with better, and better ideas. Definitely digging it. Can't wait until you're done to see what the overall package looks like. Keep it up.

jts

...hate me...
Hi there good people!

So, only last Friday the 3GS was released over here, and since then I finally own a 32GB black beauty.

Anyway, I have a couple of noob questions:

On my previous iPod touch, if I double clicked the home button, on any app, it would bring up the background iPod player even if it wasn't playing any music at the moment (I could start it from there).

On the 3GS it only seems to do that if music is being played. If it's not, the best I can make it to do is to go to the iPod App, leaving the app I'm in at the moment. How can I get it to work like on the iPod touch?

Now, about jailbreak. I really need this, it's just too awesome to skip.

My main question about it is: if I jailbreak my phone, can I completely roll it back at any moment for warranty purposes? Would it be untraceable?

I currently have 3.0.0 on this, should I jailbreak it right now and forget the update, or update the iPhone first?

Thanks dudes!

crisdecuba said:

ringer.PNG
soundon.PNG
mute2.PNG

Things to point out:

There is far too much going on in the top bar. The date, size of data transfer, the precent of battery. Keep it simple. I think the mistake a lot of people make with custom skins is they go over board.

JPBrowncoat said:
Is everyone still getting push notifications? At least with BeeJive? I haven't been getting any all day and my settings are all the same.
I have, but make sure you are "outside" of Beejive when you lock your phone. I have not gotten push notifications when I was locked inside.

mrkgoo

jts said:
Hi there good people!

So, only last Friday the 3GS was released over here, and since then I finally own a 32GB black beauty.

Anyway, I have a couple of noob questions:

On my previous iPod touch, if I double clicked the home button, on any app, it would bring up the background iPod player even if it wasn't playing any music at the moment (I could start it from there).

On the 3GS it only seems to do that if music is being played. If it's not, the best I can make it to do is to go to the iPod App, leaving the app I'm in at the moment. How can I get it to work like on the iPod touch?

Now, about jailbreak. I really need this, it's just too awesome to skip.

My main question about it is: if I jailbreak my phone, can I completely roll it back at any moment for warranty purposes? Would it be untraceable?

I currently have 3.0.0 on this, should I jailbreak it right now and forget the update, or update the iPhone first?

Thanks dudes!

This is 3.0. It only brings up the miniplayer if you are currently playing a song, otherwise it opens the ipod app. I preferred the old way, where it always (if set to ipod) would open the mini player app.

jts

...hate me...
mrkgoo said:
This is 3.0. It only brings up the miniplayer if you are currently playing a song, otherwise it opens the ipod app. I preferred the old way, where it always (if set to ipod) would open the mini player app.
Ouch, that's a damn shame. I hope Apple backpedals on this someday.

Thanks for clarification ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom