• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronen

DMeisterJ said:
Hmm... I figured as much.

Anything I should be worried about RE: Jailbreaking? I've read up on it and it seems kinda foolproof.

This.
I've been kinda thinking of jailbreaking my 3G for a little while now myself. What are some of the best things that jailbreaking allows you to do? I've kinda kepy myself out of the 'jailbreaking loop'.

mYm|17|

anybody that has a jailbroken iphone get the GV app from cydia?

I got it, but you have to be invited into GV.................boooooo. I am just waiting for my invite

Jailbreaking lets you do 4 things I can't live without:

1) Hide shitty apps you don't use
2) Disable the phone from ever rotating the screen
3) Download MP3s through Safari, and play them back through a music app, to get around their stupid 10mb podcast file restriction.
4) Put more info in the status bar; icon for unread mail, battery percentage, etc.

There's really no reason to not do it, my 3.0 jailbreak went incredibly easily.

TheGreatDave said:
Jailbreaking lets you do 4 things I can't live without:

1) Hide shitty apps you don't use
2) Disable the phone from ever rotating the screen
3) Download MP3s through Safari, and play them back through a music app, to get around their stupid 10mb podcast file restriction.
4) Put more info in the status bar; icon for unread mail, battery percentage, etc.

There's really no reason to not do it, my 3.0 jailbreak went incredibly easily.
For me, SBSettings did it (i.e. enable/disable 3G, Wi-fi with a single button without having to enter the settings menu).

Woodsy

Banned
Is anyone here in Google Voice?

The only thing I can really see being affected by lack of an app is access to some sort of visual voicemail, as you won't be changing your target phone numbers that often. When someone leaves you a VM on GV, can you get notified via email? That would solve that issue.

mYm|17|

Operations said:
For me, SBSettings did it (i.e. enable/disable 3G, Wi-fi with a single button without having to enter the settings menu).

SBSettings is freakin awesome. I switched from BossPrefs to that once I found out about it.

Of course Cydia is great and Winterboard.

blahness

Woodsy said:
Is anyone here in Google Voice?

The only thing I can really see being affected by lack of an app is access to some sort of visual voicemail, as you won't be changing your target phone numbers that often. When someone leaves you a VM on GV, can you get notified via email? That would solve that issue.
yes when you get a vm on gv you get a email notification

mYm|17|

DMeisterJ said:
So when you Jailbreak and download Cydia, all of the apps are located in the Cydia App?

Once you have Cydia, you go there to download apps, themes, ringtones, sms stuff..........etc

It's basically kind of like the App store, but you can get 3rd party stuff with Cydia

DMeisterJ

Banned
Well, I've done it. It's loading the Jailbreak data with a pic of a pineapple on the screen. I know the settings thing is cool, and the lock screen, and I definitely want a battery percentage, but anything else I should be on the lookout for? Any good themes anyone would recommend?

Hrm, my iPhone is stuck on this 'Reloading Data' screen after I tried to DL SBSettings.

mYm|17|

DMeisterJ said:
Well, I've done it. It's loading the Jailbreak data with a pic of a pineapple on the screen. I know the settings thing is cool, and the lock screen, and I definitely want a battery percentage, but anything else I should be on the lookout for? Any good themes anyone would recommend?

SBSettings
Winterboard
Backgrounder
Aptbackup (for when Apple does the firmware update and you have to jailbreak again, but you don't have to go through the process of re-downloading all these apps and etc from Cydia again)
Most of the themes on Cydia are downright awful, but there are some decent ones out there

I know there are more, but I can't think of anything else right now. I am sure others will help you out as well

BlacKMaRK

Banned
i just bit the bullet and bought an iphone 3g, sow im part of iphone GAF:D

it should be here on wednesday, im thinking of jailbreaking it.

Doesn't jailbreaking cancel your warranty? How would apple know you did it though?

On another note... Has anyone tried out the new Breaking News app with notifications for $1.99? It's on sale now in the apps store.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Okay, this post made me want to jailbreak my 3G again. So much features there I've always wanted. I have one concern though: last time I jailbroke my phone it seemed a lot slower. Was this just my imagination?

LCfiner

K2Valor said:
Okay, this post made me want to jailbreak my 3G again. So much features there I've always wanted. I have one concern though: last time I jailbroke my phone it seemed a lot slower. Was this just my imagination?

Most jailbreaks work just fine but there are instances where the jailbreak, or apps you install after the jailbreak, can slow down your phone.

this is more prone to happening on the older iPhone 3g since it has 128 MB of RAM instead of 256 for the 3GS. apps that run in the background in a jailbreak (and add functionality) can potentially slow things down or cause instabilities.

But, again, most likely you won't see a big difference after the jailbreak. just don't run too many background tweaks right off the bat. add them one at a time to see if any particular one causes speed issues.

Jailbreak: Can you change the folder icons in Categories. I'm not happy with the ones I'm currently using.

Also, is Aptbackup now safe with the 3GS?

Manics

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
Is there a way you can get battery percentage on an iPhone 3G? That'd be so useful to me.
There are free apps in the app store that show you battery percentage, no need to jailbreak. Sure it's not in the status bar but you can still get the % by firing up the app.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Manics said:
There are free apps in the app store that show you battery percentage, no need to jailbreak. Sure it's not in the status bar but you can still get the % by firing up the app.

Too late, already Jailbroke, and love it. :D

mYm|17|

DoctorWho said:
Jailbreak: Can you change the folder icons in Categories. I'm not happy with the ones I'm currently using.

yea, the got a ton of icons in categories

DMeisterJ

Banned
Manics said:
See how much you love it when you have to restore and re-jailbreak each time apple puts out a new firmware you want.

Then I won't update firmwares :D

Cronen said:
Can someone confirm/deny this pleeeease?

Does nothing to your warranty. If something happens (like you need your phone repaired), you will just restore your phone to the current firmware and it will wipe out all traces and anything jailbroken. It's like it never happened.

At least that's with the hours of research I did on it today.

--

Anyway, any Jailbreakers know a good Lock Screen app where it can display weather, E-mails, SMS, missed calls/etc? And a how-to would be so kind.

ckohler

Manics said:
Isn't battery percentage in the status bar is a 3.0 feature?

Settings > General > Usage

magus

I need a screen protector for my iPhone 3G. I'm really getting tired of having to keep a microfiber rag around at all times. Any advice? Thank you.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
magus said:
I need a screen protector for my iPhone 3G. I'm really getting tired of having to keep a microfiber rag around at all times. Any advice? Thank you.
Tshirt?

Any JB App that will allow you to auto change the wallpaper every so often?

01342dd6.jpg

I want to rotate my James Bond Novel wallpapers.

Enzom21

DoctorWho said:
Any JB App that will allow you to auto change the wallpaper every so often?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v203/Breen/01342dd6.jpg

I want to rotate my James Bond Novel wallpapers.
Bosspaper

DMeisterJ said:
Okay I got it, but I go to install LockScreen Info and it says host unreachable.

I have absolutely no idea what the page you linked to wants me to do :(
The source is most likely still down.
You can disregard that link, the newest version of Lockscreen info has a preference page.

enzom21 said:
Bosspaper

The source is most likely still down.
You can disregard that link, the newest version of Lockscreen info has a preference page.
Thanks. Might wait until it is a little further along in development. For now I'll just change them manually.

Foob

DoctorWho said:

If you're using WB, just rename whatever icon you want to use as whatever the category is called. (want to change games, call it Games.png, etc..)

Mik2121

I might be missing something but.. why would you want to have all the icons on the bottom tier so close to each other just to fit a clock, when you already have another clock on the top? Or is that an icon as well?.. :S

Okay, still chuggin' along, seeing what works...

04.PNG
03.PNG
01.PNG

05.PNG
02.PNG

What I did (some things obvious, some not):

- The Voice Memo background screen is simply a blurred out version of the home page wallpaper - makes the transition into and out of Voice Memo pretty smooth looking
- Changed the dialpad screen - still not totally happy with it - will keep working on it.
- For the homepage background, I took the background from the Matte Nano theme, made it gold-ish, and added the Triforce and flourishes between the rows
- Took out the labels for the non-docked items, and went with the smaller icon approach of the Matte Nano theme
- Changed the dots showing which screen you're on into gold hearts (I like hearts, apparently)
- For the docked icons, I started with the icons provided in another theme and made them gold-looking
- The bird in the upper left corner is the bird that transports link around in A Link to the Past - it represents when the phone is in Airplane Mode
- Changed the lock screen to match the home screen wallpaper a bit more, changed the flourish around the Triforce Emblem, shrank the emblem itself as well (the key looks even more out of place to me now - I'll see what I can change it to)
- The battery charging screen is unchanged - I just like it.
:D

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Found a 3.0.1 update waiting for me this morning.

Supposedly fixes some SMS vulnerability?

Edit: Apparently this has been out since Friday and I'm late somehow.

crisdecuba said:
Okay, still chuggin' along, seeing what works...
What I did (some things obvious, some not):

- The Voice Memo background screen is simply a blurred out version of the home page wallpaper - makes the transition into and out of Voice Memo pretty smooth looking
- Changed the dialpad screen - still not totally happy with it - will keep working on it.
- For the homepage background, I took the background from the Matte Nano theme, made it gold-ish, and added the Triforce and flourishes between the rows
- Took out the labels for the non-docked items, and went with the smaller icon approach of the Matte Nano theme
- Changed the dots showing which screen you're on into gold hearts (I like hearts, apparently)
- For the docked icons, I started with the icons provided in another theme and made them gold-looking
- The bird in the upper left corner is the bird that transports link around in A Link to the Past - it represents when the phone is in Airplane Mode
- Changed the lock screen to match the home screen wallpaper a bit more, changed the flourish around the Triforce Emblem, shrank the emblem itself as well (the key looks even more out of place to me now - I'll see what I can change it to)
- The battery charging screen is unchanged - I just like it.
:D
Liking your work so far. I see that the icons are also customized, were those borrowed from another theme?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom