• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone owners using Spotify irritate me

angrod14

Seriously, why TF are they running that chit in their iPhone instead of Apple Music?

Apple Music literally obliterates everything in the music streaming bizz:

- Flawless default integration with iOS devices. You don't need to download a separate app.

- GOAT clean aesthetics. APPLE baby.

- Let's not even discuss streaming quality. So lossless that's even higher fidelity than the original master. Sound so beautiful makes Bono want to cry. Meanwhile Spoty has Napster quality.

- Wider library selection than Spotify.

- Album-oriented instead of playlist oriented (aimed to true music listeners, not just ADHD Britney fans).

- Have you seen the Classical selection? Chopin would use AM.

- More exclusive. Every hobo around the corner with his generic Android uses Spotify. Apple Music is for the Apple crowd. Fuck everyone else.

Just kidding. But seriously, why? It's annoying.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I used both for a while but ended up dropping Spotify since Apple Music is basically included in my iCloud monthly now.

In any case, I like Apple Music a bit more than Spotify. But I hate the fake “randomizers” in both services.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I use Apple music on my Samsung phone due to a family plan but it's randomizing of my playlists is absolute shit and 'my station' is even worse, like unusable shit.

Apple music is the Shit, for sure. However... because they are a tyrannical POScompany, they don't have a lot of what I want to hear, so I still have to go into the Dark Side, to get some rare music or just music that is somewhat-difficult to find.

pauljeremiah

Gold Member
I switched from Spotify to Apple Music a while back, and while having a few issues at the beginning, I never looked back:

- The good thing about Spotify's excellent algorithm is that you always get new music you will mostly like but don´t know. The downside is that you will always only get the music you already like. It´s harder to "develop" your music taste because the algorithm only recommends the music genres you already listen to. For example, you always listen to American rap, but you don‘t know that you would like Jazz Music. But Spotify won‘t recommend Jazz because the algorithm thinks you don’t like it - because you never listened to it. That‘s the kicker.

I once tested the Apple Music Algorithm by creating a new Apple ID and starting on Apple Music with a free trial. I let my phone listen to only rap music playlists on repeat, nothing else, only American rap music, for like a week. Time after time, listening to my personal radio station, I got Pop songs, sometimes Electronic or very old school music. People mistake it for a flaw in the algorithm, but I think Apple does this on purpose. It feels more “human” to change the whole Genre from time to time. Spotify doesn’t do that for whatever reason. If you listen to Rap music a lot, Spotify thinks you should listen only to Rap music for the rest of your life.

- If you use Apple Music, tell Siri, "Hey Siri, play new music I like". This was GROUNDBREAKING for me when I tried it out the first time. With this Siri command, Apple Music creates an entirely new personal Radio Station that plays like 70% new music based on the theme you usually listen to and about 30% of the music you listen to often. This can not be found in the App itself, and it’s like a secret that doesn’t get advertised by Apple. You have to go out of your way with this Siri command to get this. It is so so good. When I drive to work, I usually only play this exceptional Radio station.

- Spotify is way more social, but you have to care about those social features to consider them essential. I don´t care at all that other people listen to, and I always found that Spotify Wrapped Up is nice, but only for me personally in terms of statistics. It gets so cringe when people start posting their wrapped ups on Instagram, and Twitter-like anyone cares, but maybe that’s just me.

- I learned that Spotify is perfect for the casual, young modern listener who´s always looking for a new hit that´s no longer than 2:53 minutes. While Apple Music is more for a puristic listener that listens to many older songs, mostly music he already knows. Someone who doesn’t feel the need to discover new music every day. Suppose you’re more like that kind of a listener than Apple Music is for you. It´s better for people who already know their music taste well and look for new music.

- Apple Music has come a long way, and its algorithm got optimised massively during the last couple of months. The algorithm was the main weak point of Apple Music and maybe still is, but it got a lot better.

- Apple Music is significantly louder and better quality-wise if you´re using AirPods 2, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max or Powerbeats Pro. The difference is amazing. That´s due to Apples special build-in H1-Chip in Apple's ear- and headphones that only support Apple Music. I tested this over many hours with Spotify's sound options maxed out and normalised Spotify sound. Spotify doesn’t come close to Apple Music in that aspect.

- You can sort your library perfectly, while Spotify doesn´t even have "a real library" where you can edit data of your songs, albums etc. Apple Music is cut off from any podcasts, which I like a lot. Podcasts and Music are two different things for me. On Apple Music, I can change Album covers that I don‘t like.

- On Apple Music, I can upload older music from CDs that are nowhere available to stream, and it gets immediately uploaded to the cloud and adds seamlessly to my music library. The experience feels more “Pro“ with Apple Music. It gives you more options than Spotify.

- I can not confirm at all that Apple Music is buggy. It works perfectly fine on all devices (iPhone 15 Pro, iMac M3, iPad Pro, Apple Watch Ultra). This might have been the case in the beginning phase of AM 2015-2017, but now I´m not having any issues at all.

- Apple Music pays artists almost double the amount of Spotify.

- Apple Music has its own radio stations and radio shows in many countries over the world. There are no algorithms creating playlists, but real people giving their opinions and curating music for you. The difference between what a real person curates and what an algorithm curate is still unreal.

- For me, the interface of Apple Music is levels above what Spotify does design-wise. It perfectly fits iOS and Apple’s design in general and looks so good and clean. I can change the volume right on the player's interface, which on Spotify I can not do.

- Many global also Chinese corporations like Tencent hold shares and are involved in Spotify. With Spotify, you don´t have any data privacy at all; they track everything about your listening experience and then sell your data to anyone willing to pay for it. Same as Google does. Apple also tracks you, but they keep the data for themselves and don´t sell it to third parties.

If you want to know how I enjoy music: I use Apple Music as my "daily driver" and keep my music library there. I also have a Spotify account which I can keep for free (with ads). I use Songshift to sync my playlists from Apple Music to Spotify. Sometimes, I let my Phone play my Apple Music playlists on Spotify at a deficient volume at night. The following day I opened the Spotify App. I get outstanding excellent new music. Which I then sync over to Apple Music. Like this, you can have the best of both worlds, lol.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I switched from Spotify to Apple Music a while back, and while having a few issues at the beginning, I never looked back:

- The good thing about Spotify's excellent algorithm is that you always get new music you will mostly like but don´t know. The downside is that you will always only get the music you already like. It´s harder to "develop" your music taste because the algorithm only recommends the music genres you already listen to. For example, you always listen to American rap, but you don‘t know that you would like Jazz Music. But Spotify won‘t recommend Jazz because the algorithm thinks you don’t like it - because you never listened to it. That‘s the kicker.

I once tested the Apple Music Algorithm by creating a new Apple ID and starting on Apple Music with a free trial. I let my phone listen to only rap music playlists on repeat, nothing else, only American rap music, for like a week. Time after time, listening to my personal radio station, I got Pop songs, sometimes Electronic or very old school music. People mistake it for a flaw in the algorithm, but I think Apple does this on purpose. It feels more “human” to change the whole Genre from time to time. Spotify doesn’t do that for whatever reason. If you listen to Rap music a lot, Spotify thinks you should listen only to Rap music for the rest of your life.

- If you use Apple Music, tell Siri, "Hey Siri, play new music I like". This was GROUNDBREAKING for me when I tried it out the first time. With this Siri command, Apple Music creates an entirely new personal Radio Station that plays like 70% new music based on the theme you usually listen to and about 30% of the music you listen to often. This can not be found in the App itself, and it’s like a secret that doesn’t get advertised by Apple. You have to go out of your way with this Siri command to get this. It is so so good. When I drive to work, I usually only play this exceptional Radio station.

- Spotify is way more social, but you have to care about those social features to consider them essential. I don´t care at all that other people listen to, and I always found that Spotify Wrapped Up is nice, but only for me personally in terms of statistics. It gets so cringe when people start posting their wrapped ups on Instagram, and Twitter-like anyone cares, but maybe that’s just me.

- I learned that Spotify is perfect for the casual, young modern listener who´s always looking for a new hit that´s no longer than 2:53 minutes. While Apple Music is more for a puristic listener that listens to many older songs, mostly music he already knows. Someone who doesn’t feel the need to discover new music every day. Suppose you’re more like that kind of a listener than Apple Music is for you. It´s better for people who already know their music taste well and look for new music.

- Apple Music has come a long way, and its algorithm got optimised massively during the last couple of months. The algorithm was the main weak point of Apple Music and maybe still is, but it got a lot better.

- Apple Music is significantly louder and better quality-wise if you´re using AirPods 2, AirPods Pro, AirPods Max or Powerbeats Pro. The difference is amazing. That´s due to Apples special build-in H1-Chip in Apple's ear- and headphones that only support Apple Music. I tested this over many hours with Spotify's sound options maxed out and normalised Spotify sound. Spotify doesn’t come close to Apple Music in that aspect.

- You can sort your library perfectly, while Spotify doesn´t even have "a real library" where you can edit data of your songs, albums etc. Apple Music is cut off from any podcasts, which I like a lot. Podcasts and Music are two different things for me. On Apple Music, I can change Album covers that I don‘t like.

- On Apple Music, I can upload older music from CDs that are nowhere available to stream, and it gets immediately uploaded to the cloud and adds seamlessly to my music library. The experience feels more “Pro“ with Apple Music. It gives you more options than Spotify.

- I can not confirm at all that Apple Music is buggy. It works perfectly fine on all devices (iPhone 15 Pro, iMac M3, iPad Pro, Apple Watch Ultra). This might have been the case in the beginning phase of AM 2015-2017, but now I´m not having any issues at all.

- Apple Music has its own radio stations and radio shows in many countries over the world. There are no algorithms creating playlists, but real people giving their opinions and curating music for you. The difference between what a real person curates and what an algorithm curate is still unreal.

- For me, the interface of Apple Music is levels above what Spotify does design-wise. It perfectly fits iOS and Apple’s design in general and looks so good and clean. I can change the volume right on the player's interface, which on Spotify I can not do.

- Many global also Chinese corporations like Tencent hold shares and are involved in Spotify. With Spotify, you don´t have any data privacy at all; they track everything about your listening experience and then sell your data to anyone willing to pay for it. Same as Google does. Apple also tracks you, but they keep the data for themselves and don´t sell it to third parties.

If you want to know how I enjoy music: I use Apple Music as my "daily driver" and keep my music library there. I also have a Spotify account which I can keep for free (with ads). I use Songshift to sync my playlists from Apple Music to Spotify. Sometimes, I let my Phone play my Apple Music playlists on Spotify at a deficient volume at night. The following day I opened the Spotify App. I get outstanding excellent new music. Which I then sync over to Apple Music. Like this, you can have the best of both worlds, lol.
A few little bits I didn't know about in here from when I had AM a year or two back. I didn't know you could upload CDs - that's something I thought died with Google Play Music (I loved that store/service, so many bargains and a great UI).

I have 3 free months I can claim, maybe it's time I did.

And you're so right about separating podcasts and music. Combining the two is awful. Apple Podcasts is shit though.

near

Gold Member
Sure if you only use it for music. I use Spotify for podcasts, I don’t pay for it and the ones I listen to are ad free.

Rockondevil

I'm with you OP. I've asked people at work as they all use Spotify. I haven't found one person that's on Apple Music. Blows my mind. Even if you don't use the better quality just knowing it supports artists better is something.
Does Spotify have something like spatial audio? I love that too.

Some say it's because of podcasts, but I prefer to have a separate app for those anyway.
Overcast is great but I'm sure others exist too.

cormack12

Gold Member
Nearly a perfect title, needs editing to

iPhone owners irritate me

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yeah I don’t get it. My most musically interested/gifted friend is all about Apple everything, then he sends me Spotify links like a pleb….what a paradox

angrod14

Because I don't only listen to music on my phone? Spotify integration on consoles, and the app on PC is much better than trying to use Apple music on anything other than my phone.
Well, I love using AM on my Macbook and iMac. But I can understand if you're not deep in the ecosystem. You should, though.

Steve Jobs Apple GIF

Some say it's because of podcasts, but I prefer to have a separate app for those anyway.
I agree, it's way better to use the dedicated app for that.

Klosshufvud

You make an excellent point regarding the suggested songs. Spotify infuriates me somewhat tremendously. It keeps recommending me the same dozen songs over and over again. Instead of branching out to different genres, it just keeps repeat the same songs I've already skipped countless times to me over and over again. It's a really bad app in how it suggests music. My original playlist is varied as fuck but I've noticed my recent music lists are more homogenous. And this is entirely due to Spotify selecting based on my "taste" which is odd because I have taste in pretty much every genre there is. I hate this but since I have all my playlists here and I am paying for my siblings too for a decent deal, I can't be bothered to change. Which sucks because Apple Music sounds more my thing in every way.

SJRB

Gold Member
I used Apple Music via iTunes like a decade ago and thought it was absolute dogwater, so I never looked back.

Perhaps I should give it a second chance.

Last edited:

Trilobit

I'll never switch from Spotify. There's no other music streamer as perfected as Spotify.

Also, generally, iPhone owners are not the brightest people around.

Trunx81

Only thing I dislike is that it deletes my downloads when I switch accounts on the App Store (have to use different country settings from time to time).

I’m using Yt Music and Apple Music (family plan). The later is integrated into Google Maps, YT isn’t.

But you can also listen to any obscure remix or interpretation from YouTube, which sometimes is better than the original. Especially game music. So I’m using best of both worlds.

LordOfChaos

I'm on an iPhone and Apple Music, though there's things I like better about Spotify as well. The recommendation engine even this many years later just seems to grok me better, I still find more new music I like that way and then add it to AM. Apple Music Replay was a very sad web view cheap copy of Rewind, and social wise there's other things that just happen on Spotify like Daylist. But I mean that's a few times a year, and I did choose AM overall.

There's also an annoying thing where if you unsubscribe for a few months it just deletes all your playlists and all, they're not just there ready waiting when you get back, that would be so simple and cost them no storage, it's just just a list of pointers to their songs.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
Installed iTunes just now and it's like I'm stepping into a time machine. Archaic piece of shit. Googled a but but it's super unclear how I'm supposed to use Apple Music on a windows pc.

Uninstalled immediately.

RavageX

So...
1. I'm not paying for anything. I listen to a couple of podcasts and thats it.

2. I listen to my music with neither app.

3. A good number of songs dont appear, or end up disappearing from both....so no.

LordCBH

Installed iTunes just now and it's like I'm stepping into a time machine. Archaic piece of shit. Googled a but but it's super unclear how I'm supposed to use Apple Music on a windows pc.

Uninstalled immediately.

There’s a dedicated Apple Music app on pc now. Can dl through the windows store and maybe off apples website.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Youtube premium is best apart from volume normalization
YouTube Music is the patrician choice.

But I think Spotify has the network effect going on. Like if all your friends are using it, it's not quite a green bubble but you don't want to be a loser.\

Uninstalled immediately.
Don't use iTunes, just look up Apple Music. iTunes is deprecated. Apple Music is on the Windows store.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.

Excellent, thoughtful post. I agree with almost all of this.

And I’ll second your note about using Siri to discover new music. I’ve been doing “Hey Siri, play me some music” for the last year, and it’s been so good. Especially recently.

To add a bit to that, it also seems good at adjusting the algorithm in real-time, so if I tell Siri to skip a song, it will try a different type of music I generally like soon after. It’s great for dialing in whatever vibe you currently want.

The only thing I really miss about Spotify is the social aspects, since a lot of my friends still use it and share songs via Spotify. It’s not the biggest deal, and it’s easy enough to convert playlists now. But still, it’s an extra layer of friction.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
People mistake it for a flaw in the algorithm, but I think Apple does this on purpose. It feels more “human” to change the whole Genre from time to time.
This is not the flaw in the algorithm. The problem is that adds the same songs over and over and over and over and over and over and over again.
I have a couple of NIN songs in my library. Apple music adds some other NIN songs to my station from time to time. Oh no wait, it adds the exact same one NIN song to every iteration of my station.
It plays almost the exact same 100 or so songs from my playlist of 600 songs when it 'randomizes'.
It's shit - pure and simple.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
How could you diss Spotify? It has music, the podcasts are there and to strengthen my point iTunes, Apple Podcasts and Apple Music apps are poorly designed that’s been stated before.

Because fuck Apple Music…plus maybe I want to catch a podcast or listen to an audiobook on top of the music. And, I’d rather not give any extra money to a company who tried to charge like $3,000k for a damn VR headset. Truthfully the only reason I even use an iPhone is because my workplace provides it for free. Otherwise I’d drop that too because their BS $1,500 new “phone model” scam they run all the damn time….good enough reasons for you, or naw?

I’m also a youtube music member. Google doesn’t do a good enough job advertising their benefits. For example not many know you can search for, play, and add music from youtube videos (like soundtracks, unlicensed stuff, mashups/remixes, or not well known music from other countries).

They even added (and made searchable) all of the podcasts out there but barely anyone knows this too.

Tams

I use Amazon Music, even though it costs pretty much just as much as Prime.

I spent hours trying to find out which has the best Japanese music collection without a Japanese account, and couldn't tell, but Amazon Music seems to be pretty good for it.

It integrates well with the Alexa ecosystem I've built up.

Top Bottom