• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iraqi-American Sells House, Deposits Check at Bank, Gets Arrested

Really? I guess they all dropped their donuts for terrorist catching time.

The man said he counted more than 15 cop cars when they walked him outside, and they looked through his car, separated the family in two rooms. Yeah, those tellers saw hijabs and terrorism popped in their heads. Fucking gross.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Oh god I hope they get paid. I hope its to the point that key individuals responsible up the chain of this fuckery ALL lose their jobs.

Boylamite

Did you folks not look at the picture in the link, this is an incredibly bland non threatening looking family right down to the bookish kid with glasses, that I needed an /s to denote sarcasm is depressing. What do you think my use of ... meant anyway. Good gravy.

Ok

In this day and age you most certainly do need to specify You're being sarcastic. Forget about how poorly sarcasm works in text form, have you not been paying attention to the news lately?

cameron

Classic reverse bank heist. Dude was going to deposit funds while his wife waited outside in the getaway car.
But he said his experience started to go down hill. Ali said, "And I was talking to them for less than five minutes and I found the police behind me, handcuffed me, confiscated everything and took me outside."
His wife Hadil and their 15-year-old daughter Hawra were waiting in the car outside the bank. Police take them into custody also and take all three downtown to police headquarters for questioning.
Why doesn't the bank or police just hold on to the cheque/funds until it's verified? What's the risk? Dude even said it was okay. But nah, "let's take a ride downtown" while you're cuffed.

DJnbfpEVAAATVdK.jpg:large

Not buying it.
The bank is trash for calling and of course the cops are trash as usual.
"For reasons unknown to Emprise Bank, the situation escalated once law enforcement became involved..."

Reasons unknown.

Culex

Banned
This doesn't add up. I work for a bank so this went from 0-100 WAY too fast.

A check deposit is LITERALLY a 10 second transaction. You do a cursory check for the legal line, date and endorsements, and give the customer their goddamn receipt and take the next customer. Unless something else happened inside that bank, it is 100% profiling.

In this day and age you most certainly do need to specify You're being sarcastic. Forget about how poorly sarcasm works in text form, have you not been paying attention to the news lately?

I consider my use of an ellipse at the end of that sentence to denote sarcasm. I do forget that certain places online are more likely to jump to conclusions than others on things like this, good reminder, thanks. No /s. The idea that someone thinks I or anyone would burn an account for a nasty comment on this story of all stories does amuse me , I willl say. How can anyone reasonable look at that pic and think terrorists?

m0dus

Banned
Did you folks not look at the picture in the link, this is an incredibly bland non threatening looking family right down to the bookish kid with glasses, that I needed an /s to denote sarcasm is depressing. What do you think my use of ... meant anyway. Good gravy.

Ok

Look,

This forum, like any large internet community, has no shortage of people lurking who do, in fact, seriously share and seek to promote the views you were joking about. People who have, lately, chosen times such as this to out themselves for the vitriolic rhetoric so that we can show them the door. Or burner accounts that lay in wait to stir up shit.

Really, the fact that essentially everyone reading it weren’t clued into your ‘sarcasm’ should be telling.

Your post was perhaps poorly timed.
You probably should’ve added an /s tag.
Don’t act like a everyone else is being hypersensitive.

Learn from it and move on.
Oh. And, maybe, just maybe, edit your post. :)

I consider my use of an ellipse at the end of that sentence to denote sarcasm. I do forget that certain places online are more likely to jump to conclusions than others on things like this, good reminder, thanks. No /s. The idea that someone thinks I or anyone would burn an account for a nasty comment on this story of all stories does amuse me , I willl say. How can anyone reasonable look at that pic and think terrorists?

We get plenty of weird account suicides all the time. It's been a stressful time for race-related stuff and more and more people are showing themselves to be hateful

Lkr

Isn't this type of racial profiling in banks legal and encouraged under the Patriot Act? I remember the credit union I used to work at had some patriot act training training modules, i don't remember if it was for "sketchy" withdrawals only or if deposits were included as well. never really worried about it personally as I was working IT and wasn't ever handling money.
and by sketchy, since you're reporting potential terrorist activity, i always took that to mean it was encouraging bank tellers to racially profile brown people with money

manfestival

This is a pretty common practice. I can't imagine that the guy has any real ground here. I do remember like a year ago how a similar situation occurred to a black man. The whole situation sucks

sangreal

Isn't this type of racial profiling in banks legal and encouraged under the Patriot Act? I remember the credit union I used to work at had some patriot act training training modules, i don't remember if it was for "sketchy" withdrawals only or if deposits were included as well. never really worried about it personally as I was working IT and wasn't ever handling money.
and by sketchy, since you're reporting potential terrorist activity, i always took that to mean it was encouraging bank tellers to racially profile brown people with money

I've taken dozens of those dumb training modules and none of them encouraged racial profiling. Even if they had, the procedure was always to file a SAR not call the cops.

But they certainly do encourage tellers to basically spy on and rat out their customers

Lkr

I've taken dozens of those dumb training modules and none of them encouraged racial profiling. Even if they had, the procedure was always to file a SAR not call the cops

oh okay. i'm not agreeing with the racial profiling, i just couldn't remember what the actual rules were because I just clicked through the modules as they were a waste of time when people were bitching at me about needing passwords resets

Fucking hate this country. Who still wants to claim racism isn't still a thing that happens in America?

The same miserable assholes who profiled him are probably the same ones who tell poor minorities to stop whining and pull themselves up by the bootstraps. This guy played by your rules and he won. He's a citizen, has a family, has a lot of money, studying to become a doctor, but no. He must have cheated. He must be an illegal. He contributes more to society than these sad sack dickweeds working as tellers in a shitty Midwestern bank, so it's their patriotic duty to put him back in his place.

Also clearly demonstrates that it's not a class issue. There are many people in this country who believe the filthiest, poorest white man is still worth more than the wealthiest, most intelligent person of color. And many of those people are the ones calling the shots.

What's the cause of action?

I've taken dozens of those dumb training modules and none of them encouraged racial profiling. Even if they had, the procedure was always to file a SAR not call the cops .

The latter quote was very well said in terms of how the banks and the police overreacted to a normal police because it was an arab american.

The cause of action in the future case against the bank and the witchita police is unjust arrest and emotional trauma brought upon by the arrest upon the police

The latter quote was very well said in terms of how the banks and the police overreacted to a normal police because it was an arab american.

The cause of action in the future case against the bank and the witchita police is unjust arrest and emotional trauma brought upon by the arrest upon the police
The bank didn't arrest him.

Derwind

Jesus, I hope this family pursues sone legal action against this bank. I'd be livid if this happened to me or any member of my family.

Fucking hate this country. Who still wants to claim racism isn't still a thing that happens in America?

The same miserable assholes who profiled him are probably the same ones who tell poor minorities to stop whining and pull themselves up by the bootstraps. This guy played by your rules and he won. He's a citizen, has a family, has a lot of money, studying to become a doctor, but no. He must have cheated. He must be an illegal. He contributes more to society than these sad sack dickweeds working as tellers in a shitty Midwestern bank, so it's their patriotic duty to put him back in his place.

Also clearly demonstrates that it's not a class issue. There are many people in this country who believe the filthiest, poorest white man is still worth more than the wealthiest, most intelligent person of color. And many of those people are the ones calling the shots.

ain't that the truth

see this kind of awful attitudes everywhere in the midwest

bionic77

Everyone of those officers and bank employees involved should be fired.

Even if the fucking check did not check out then confiscate the fucking check instead of arresting a family.

Of course nothing will happen.

Everyone of those officers and bank employees involved should be fired.

Even if the fucking check did not check out then confiscate the fucking check instead of arresting a family.

Of course nothing will happen.
As if the goal here was ever to do anything but humiliate an Iraqi family.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I doubt this has as much to do with racism as it does with federal regulations after 9-11. The bank was probably doing what they are required to do which is why they issued that statement.

Aselith

I doubt this has as much to do with racism as it does with federal regulations after 9-11. The bank was probably doing what they are required to do which is why they issued that statement.

Yeah, no. If banks were required to do this on every large check, it would be happening constantly. Mistype a routing number and welp I guess we need the whole police force on site again!

I'm looking forward to the payout from the bank more than the cops because at least the former won't come from the taxpayer's pockets. Whoever on gaf said the police should start seeing dents in their pensions from this sort of stuff is right. Hit them where it hurts for abuses of power.

Culex

Banned

In my 10 years of banking, we have never had to do this at any stage, either at the CTR, STM, or SAR stage. The ONLY time we are allowed to contact police is after a robbery, when everyone is safe.

Source:
http://www.kake.com/story/36316591/wichita-family-arrested-making-bank-deposit

Guy does perfectly normal thing. He is an American citizen. His family is American citizens. But, they're also ethnically Persian. So bank immediately calls the cops because it "must" be a forgery.

Never mind that they had all his information. Never mind that the source of funds was easily verifiable. Never mind that he wasn't even trying to cash out a single cent (since he figured there would be a hold on a check that big).

Yep. Straight fucking racism.

Pieces of shit.

darscot

I don't even understand what they arrested him for? The justice system in the US is so fucking weird. The Police just do whatever they want. I would love to see the reason for his arrest.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
In my 10 years of banking, we have never had to do this at any stage, either at the CTR, STM, or SAR stage. The ONLY time we are allowed to contact police is after a robbery, when everyone is safe.
Then you probably know exactly (and more than) what I'm talking about. You weren't there and you've only heard one side of the story where they state things started to go downhill. That can mean a lot of things. I assume this is an unusual transaction even for someone like you who's been working in banking for 10 years. Most of the time these types of transactions are handled electronically. It could have very easily been you that was in a situation like this where you reported the transaction to your supervisor and things quickly escalated into the customer being arrested.

Edit - I just watched the video from the link in the OP. It sounds like the bank screwed up and called Idaho instead of Michigan and that the police were called because of forgery. So if that's all there is to the story, the bank did screw up but it wasn't racial profiling. I assume there must have been a reason they called Idaho instead of Michigan because they said the police detectives were able to find the right bank in Michigan and verify the check was legitimate. My point is that there's more to the story behind the scenes than what's being told.

Even the guy knew there was a process for verifying the check, rather than accusing your customer of fraud upfront. Could have contacted the organization/name that issued the check that's written on the check itself to verify its legitimacy, could have recorded state-issued ID information for the person trying to deposit it (I get ID checked every single time I do anything at the bank), then just fucking tried to deposit it for the man. If it bounced or failed to clear, then you have all the evidence you need to hand over to law enforcement and make a case for charges later. Guy got arrested before any real criminal activity could be verified (and that's obviously why this is news).

But nope, guy isn't a socially accepted white ethnicity, so it's on-the-spot fraud trying to deposit a check that large. Wonder if they even bothered to ask him how he came to be in possession of the check, or if they just saw the amount and immediately mentally constructed a scenario where he was a criminal.

Syriel

Persians are not even brown how did this happen.

His wife and daughter wear headscarves.

Then you probably know exactly (and more than) what I'm talking about. You weren't there and you've only heard one side of the story where they state things started to go downhill. That can mean a lot of things. I assume this is an unusual transaction even for someone like you who's been working in banking for 10 years. Most of the time these types of transactions are handled electronically. It could have very easily been you that was in a situation like this where you reported the transaction to your supervisor and things quickly escalated into the customer being arrested.

Someone depositing a $150k check shouldn't even bat an eyeball at a bank.

Aside from a verification hold, and a standard report of a large deposit, it's no different than any other check.

Even the guy knew there was a process for verifying the check, rather than accusing your customer of fraud upfront. Could have contacted the organization/name that issued the check that's written on the check itself to verify its legitimacy, could have recorded state-issued ID information for the person trying to deposit it (I get ID checked every single time I do anything at the bank), then just fucking tried to deposit it for the man. If it bounced or failed to clear, then you have all the evidence you need to hand over to law enforcement and make a case for charges later. Guy got arrested before any real criminal activity could be verified (and that's obviously why this is news).

But nope, guy isn't a socially accepted white ethnicity, so it's on-the-spot fraud trying to deposit a check that large. Wonder if they even bothered to ask him how he came to be in possession of the check, or if they just saw the amount and immediately mentally constructed a scenario where he was a criminal.

Bank would have already had all his verified info. Patriot act requires that when opening an account.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
His wife and daughter wear headscarves.

Someone depositing a $150k check shouldn't even bat an eyeball at a bank.

Aside from a verification hold, and a standard report of a large deposit, it's no different than any other check.

Bank would have already had all his verified info. Patriot act requires that when opening an account.

Any transaction over $10K has different procedures. The guy says he had all the documentation which he provided the bank. Well then why did they reach the wrong bank and suspect the check was a forgery? More than likely the bankers had no idea his wife and daughter were even waiting outside or wearing headscarves because according to the report, this all happened in 5 minutes. The more I look at it, the more it seems like it was a misunderstanding and they were all honest people trying to do the right thing. Even the police handled it well imo.

cameron

Any transaction over $10K has different procedures. The guy says he had all the documentation which he provided the bank. Well then why did they reach the wrong bank and suspect the check was a forgery? More than likely the bankers had no idea his wife and daughter were even waiting outside or wearing headscarves because according to the report, this all happened in 5 minutes. The more I look at it, the more it seems like it was a misunderstanding and they were all honest people trying to do the right thing. Even the police handled it well imo.

lol, imo.

Top Bottom