• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bill Browder's prepared statement to the Senate Judiciary Committee - must read

Oberon

Banned
Thread needs new title and updated original post. Seriously, this is the most important information to be made public since the Comey testimony IMO.

Seriously, I only read all of it because of the reactions in the thread. The title makes it look to mandane. This is a story about sick Orphans dying and a person getting tortured to death rather than betraying a friend and much more.

traveler

Not Wario
Seriously, Trump is infantile, narcissistic, greedy, and just an all around terrible person who shouldn't be in the White House, but Putin is on another level. I assume his death wouldn't end the reign either as there are successors waiting in the wings who will likely operate the same way? Guy seems like pure evil and I thought the Bush story about his dog and the former opposition assassinations seemed bad enough already.

The EU needs to seriously get it's act together with sanctions. They are being held hostage by natural gas, and what are they doing to fix their hostage situation?

The problem here is inertia - we've started turning to Russian-controlled sources of gas 10 years ago when we saw the rapid depletion of our own energy resources. No one really stopped to think about the geopolitical consequences of relying on Russian infrastructure (if you look at Browder's statement everyone was quite naive about Russia's relationship to the rule of law a decade ago... yes, we knew there was corruption but we didn't realize it was centralized top-down policy until recently.)

EU energy policy is slowly turning to nuclear and renewables but it's going to be decades before that transition is complete. It's hard to speed these things along in a peacetime economy while dealing with a complacent electorate.

We need point bullet summaries, someone just copy paste and add-on:

- The Russians used "Orphan discussions" as code word for to discuss the Magnitsky Act
- The Russians use American companies located in DC to lobby in DC so as to fund Russian operatives in USA
- Trump Jr. and Kushner met with Natalia Veselnitskaya to discuss the removal of the Magnitsky Act
- Natalia Veselnitskaya has straight ties to Putin and secret services
- It's assumed that Natalia Veselnitskaya (Russians) offered something to the Trump camp (Emails) so as to gain leverage on the Trumps and remove the Magnitsky Act

...Add on.

Jaeyden

Seriously, I only read all of it because of the reactions in the thread. The title makes it look to mandane. This is a story about sick Orphans dying and a person getting tortured to death rather than betraying a friend and much more.

I read the article, watched the entire testimony and listened to his NPR interview. This guy testified under oath to the Senate Judiciary Committee. It's complicated, but it's not an Alex Jones conspiracy. These are the pieces of the puzzle that were missing in the couch. Rachel better go on this like no tomorrow.

Seriously, Trump is infantile, narcissistic, greedy, and just an all around terrible person who shouldn't be in the White House, but Putin is on another level. I assume his death wouldn't end the reign either as there are successors waiting in the wings who will likely operate the same way? Guy seems like pure evil and I thought the Bush story about his dog and the former opposition assassinations seemed bad enough already.

Putin's succession is actually a huge unknown variable. It appears he has no endgame right now - he experimented with a surrogate (Dmitri Medvedev) to see if he could ease off the reins of power but then the Arab Spring happened and he quickly came back more authoritarian than ever.

This uncertainty is one reason the oligarchs want all their riches in American and European real estate, businesses and liquid assets - they know their own country's stability is a bubble.Having their loot frozen and out of reach is nightmare fuel for them.

Oberon

Banned
I read the article, watched the entire testimony and listened to his NPR interview. This guy testified under oath to the Senate Judiciary Committee. It's complicated, but it's not an Alex Jones conspiracy. These are the pieces of the puzzle that were missing in the couch. Rachel better go on this like no tomorrow.

I may have worded my post badly, but my intent wasn't to undermine the crediblity of this whole thing. I was just agreeing that the title of this thread does not do the story justice therefore it may be overlooked by the average person.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Browders CSPAN testimony was incredibly informative. I also love how Trump and co. were all on message about ralking about Russian adoption as the most thinly veiled lie. You'd think they'd come up with something that would have been harder to draw a line to the Magnitsky Act.

It was also good to fully find out just what Sergei Magnitsky went through. Horrific.

Jaeyden

I may have worded my post badly, but my intent wasn't to undermine the crediblity of this whole thing. I was just agreeing that the title of this thread does not do the story justice therefore it may be overlooked by the average person.

Indeed mate, didn't take it that way. :) Was just trying to reinforce how unreal this all is.

Wow this was really good, like a concise version of the senate hearing and article.

All of this stuff with Browder and Magnitsky needs to become public knowledge, needs to be seen and heard. It's practically the blueprint to all of the shit going on with Russia and their antics in the US election and motivations with Trump and his campaign.

I wonder if someone in Hollywood could or has bought the rights to Magnitsky or Browder's story for a movie. This seems like the type of thing that, if good, would absolutely be a shoo-in for Oscar consideration considering Hollywood's general hatred of Trump and their loving to vote for meta-narratives as much as the movies/performances themselves when it comes to awards.

_mail

A strong crucial reminder that the world isn't all "shades of gray" like some would tell you. I'm hoping this blows up on Maddow or something, this needs to overtake the useless rump drama sh*t

If you want more hair raising info listen to the this American life podcast episode on putins origin.

https://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/614/the-other-mr-president

Back when he was politically unknown and Yeltsin was a drunk tottering around he needed to elevate himself and fast. There is evidence he used his ex fsb guys to blow up apartment blocks in the middle of the night, multiple times over a period, killing hundreds of people, with military grade explosives, stuff only state security forces had access to.
He blamed these explosions on Chechnya rebels who by that stage had no reason to bring such attention on themselves. He vowed to crush them and became the law and order candidate. His machismo was built then. Back then his involvement was unthinkable but now with his track record of killings it seems completely in character.

The sheer irony in all this is that Putin is just using all these far-right shitheads because they are all corrupt dumbshits that are easily manipulated into doing his bidding. All these alt-right Nazis calling people cucks are the real cucks because they are all clueless rubes that Putin's only using to get at his dirty money.

norm9

Rep Ted Lieu and a few others i like reading are all swept up tweeting big against Scaramuchi and Trump. I hope these dudes mention this to get the general public more aware.

From the comments:

Pete Bernardin
So Democrats Colluded with the Kremlin through Fusion GPS against Trump Fusion GPS, a Democratic Party propaganda firm, purchased and distributed dis-information from Russian sources. The DEMs have been using the Dossier as the Gospel according to Comey & Schumer. Christopher Steele, the author, admitted his dis-information is from Kremlin Sources. Fusion GPS also brokered the meeting between Russian Lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya and Donald Trump Jr. on June 9, 2016 in Trump Tower. It is HIGHLY likely that Fusion GPS tipped off the DEMS (on June 3, 2016, the approximate date the first FISA Warrant was denied) to the Trump Tower meeting and that this is led to the application for the FISA warrant that mentioned Trump. Could the Democrats be more sleazy?

Lol...

If you want more hair raising info listen to the this American life podcast episode on putins origin.

https://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/614/the-other-mr-president

Back when he was politically unknown and Yeltsin was a drunk tottering around he needed to elevate himself and fast. There is evidence he used his ex fsb guys to blow up apartment blocks in the middle of the night, multiple times over a period, killing hundreds of people, with military grade explosives, stuff only state security forces had access to.
He blamed these explosions on Chechnya rebels who by that stage had no reason to bring such attention on themselves. He vowed to crush them and became the law and order candidate. His machismo was built then. Back then his involvement was unthinkable but now with his track record of killings it seems completely in character.

Yeah, I listed to this on the way to work when it aired, a lot of the evidence isn't ironclad, but it is a pretty disturbing picture painted here.

Yeah, I listed to this on the way to work when it aired, a lot of the evidence isn't ironclad, but it is a pretty disturbing picture painted here.

nothing with Putin is iron clad. His middle name is plausible deniability, and arms length. He always does things with an eye for what his story will be if evidence comes out. It just takes adding a dash of weirdness and half the people won't believe it.

From the comments:

Pete Bernardin
So Democrats Colluded with the Kremlin through Fusion GPS against Trump Fusion GPS, a Democratic Party propaganda firm, purchased and distributed dis-information from Russian sources. The DEMs have been using the Dossier as the Gospel according to Comey & Schumer. Christopher Steele, the author, admitted his dis-information is from Kremlin Sources. Fusion GPS also brokered the meeting between Russian Lawyer Natalia Veselnitskaya and Donald Trump Jr. on June 9, 2016 in Trump Tower. It is HIGHLY likely that Fusion GPS tipped off the DEMS (on June 3, 2016, the approximate date the first FISA Warrant was denied) to the Trump Tower meeting and that this is led to the application for the FISA warrant that mentioned Trump. Could the Democrats be more sleazy?

Lol...

Notice how the words "Magnitsky" or "FARA" are entirely absent from the post

Notice how the words "Magnitsky" or "FARA" are entirely absent from the post
They could also spend some time to explain the Democratic mind control that got Don Jr. to sign off on the Russian provided Hillary dirt meeting with campaign principles after saying "love it".

They've been wallowing so long they can't smell the shit they're shoveling.

Magnitsky was a freaking hero...

It gives me at least a little pleasure to know Putin is foaming at the mouth due to the sanctions....

I hope more countries fall in line and enact similar sanctions, Putin is truly a devil...

BadAss2961

All the Mooch stuff today was amusing until I caught up on this. Talk about a distraction.

Hopefully the media gets their eye on the ball tomorrow.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wow putin is literally a fucking gangster.

And he gets away with it because oddly he still has overwhelming support of the people. A lot of the people in Russia feel like when Putin came along, so much was fixed for them, and they saw thew direct result of that, and with the propaganda and brainwashing along with the good-will of the people they have formed their own bubble of denial that even if Putin bends the rules he isnt all that bad.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
And he gets away with it because oddly he still has overwhelming support of the people. A lot of the people in Russia feel like when Putin came along, so much was fixed for them, and they saw thew direct result of that, and with the propaganda and brainwashing along with the good-will of the people they have formed their own bubble of denial that even if Putin bends the rules he isnt all that bad.

Yeah, it's basically the same with Trump and that core 30%.

rucury

Banned
So long as Mueller and his Ocean's Eleven of prosecutors are putting it to good use it'll be fine.

I'm skeptical of putting all the eggs in Mueller's basket. This story needs to blow up, and fast. "The Mooch" is distracting, intentionally or not.

also, we really needed a title change... Pretty sure barely anyone knows who Browder is.

eshwaaz

And this has fallen off the main page already while Mooch being an ass keeps on trucking. Yeah this testimony is gonna be buried, isn't it.
As others have mentioned, the thread title means nothing to most people. I've been following Russia-related events pretty closely, and I had to be reminded who Browder is.

This brought together alot of scraps of info I'd been hearing here and there before.

Lordy I hope this takes off. This is the path forward to get to the rotten black heart of this.

jesus fucking christ

Who on earth let them settle that?

Shouldn't the people who basically went against the act or lobbied for it be put on a list to be investigated.

That first paragraph is where the interesting part comes in.

One interesting thing about Putin is that he always considers trends rather than incidents. The Magnitsky Act by itself isn't a big concern but it's a pivot that could wake up other governments to look closer at his regime's foreign assets and how they were accumulated.

The scale of pillaging by the Putin-backed oligarchs is unimaginable and they can only truly enjoy the spoils if international markets remain open to them. I don't think there's any historical precedent for money laundering operations of this magnitude - even the Drug Cartels haven't been able to get this much money out of their territory and into the real economy.

I think it's the USA, Ireland(?), and Canada is considering it. Needs a ton more. I mean, what's he gonna do? Attack elections? :p

The sheer irony in all this is that Putin is just using all these far-right shitheads because they are all corrupt dumbshits that are easily manipulated into doing his bidding. All these alt-right Nazis calling people cucks are the real cucks because they are all clueless rubes that Putin's only using to get at his dirty money.

It's this:

htPAtNj.jpg

It was always this.

Ditters

I knew things were corrupt in Russia, but i didn't know they were this bad. This story needs to stay at the top of the page.

RCSI

He was trying to discredit the dossier because of the association with a Pro-Russia company. But this seems weird to me, because wasnt the OPPO started by like Jeb, and then Steele continued on his own? This would be implying Steele was paid for by the Russians and influenced that way.

From what I have gathered,

Based on the premise that Fusion GPS was set up as a research firm, they hired outside (Steele, because of his connections) on oppo research into Trump, while at a similar time other segments of Fusion was at work on Anti-Magnitsky Act push against Browder. Fusion GPS probably did not have much input into the general body of the research into the dossier versus what Steele gathered and outside of people who handled the specific opposition research file at Fusion.

Dr.Acula

Banned
This is all related to the Sergei Magnitsky murder and the subsequent assest freezes, which was a big story five years back, and even the Trump Jr. stuff from the other week brought it back into the limelight. But let's not call the Mooch stuff a distraction, he literally said on the record that Reince Priebus will "be asked to resign very shortly." That's kind of a big story.

Top Bottom