• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 4K the best way to use the power of Scorpio and PS4K? Digital Foundry unconvinced

Mohasus

Question! Which do you prefer?

• 4K Medium
  • 1080p Ultra

Nowadays the difference between presets is so small.

For example: here is doom on low and ultra.

pDp7YRo.jpg

PoztXIF.jpg

IuyjHAV.jpg

3R8JMkv.jpg

v7SxryN.jpg

oNMV5yN.jpg

60fps is overrated

many games does NOT need higher frame rate than a stable 30fps , it's a waste of processing power.

same think does apply to a native 4K resolution because even in 2017 only a small percentage of total user base will be 4K enabled. Scorpio will be just a first step vs a real "4K generation of native games& console "

with scorpio, i'd like to see some creative usage of 6TF, as :

- HDR native support on every game
- 1080p @ much higher frame rate ( 120fps) for specific VR games
- dynamic resolution 1080p-2160p to optimize frame rate
- native support on multi display setup or different aspect ratio game as 21:9
- powerhouse games @1080p / 30 fps and tons of post processing effect
- better LOD in open world games

and so on

in my opinion with actual hardware video scaler a good compromise would be render natively @ 1440p with lot of detail then upscale to 4K display

pDp7YRo.jpg

PoztXIF.jpg

IuyjHAV.jpg

3R8JMkv.jpg

v7SxryN.jpg

oNMV5yN.jpg

This is a really eye opening post.

Whenever a new GPU is released and I'm tempted to upgrade, I'm going to remind myself that this is what I must be willing to spend hundreds of dollars on.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ultimately both are mid-steps and the *next* one will be the proper 4K machine. If the Neo2 and Scorpio2 are a year apart again I don't see the performance difference being so big as 14nm will be much more mature.

Judging by some of these benchmarks if I compare the Scorpio to the 390x (which I think is fair) the system could do 4k 30fps with most current titles on Ultra/High. I do think we're in a time now where there should be a 1080p max setting and a 4k setting.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
This is a really eye opening post.

Whenever a new GPU is released and I'm tempted to upgrade, I'm going to remind myself that this is what I must be willing to spend hundreds of dollars on.

Actually a really good post. I already knew ultra is not an important setting for me on PC - there are several power-sucking features that don't add much to the image quality. But I didn't realise how low you could go and still look good. I think for a console being played on a TV 8-10ft away I'd be ok with PC medium settings. But then I also don't mind 30fps in most games

Jac_Solar

Hm, I don't think I really understand MS's and Sony's thought process behind the new consoles. I mean, their goal is to sell products -- and here they are coming out with a console, apparently intended for the enthusiast alone, both in design/function and marketing. It even risks lost sales on the standard console, at least until the marketing and purpose is clarified.

A company doesn't really care how good the graphics on their console is, they just care about selling consoles and games. But, as graphics get better, people will obviously demand better graphics for their games -- but, isn't that what typical console generations represented? How would console game sales look if all the console games still had Playstation 2/3 level graphics?

I mean, that's great, if that's really what it is, but it's strange for such a big a company to make something with, apparently, no interest in sales or profits, or doesn't make much sense in terms of potential sales (Especially if what they've said is true -- no exclusive games, marketing focused on how little difference it makes compared to the standard console.). (?)

Obviously, it's great for the gamers, but.. like I said, it doesn't make much sense to me.

I'd rather have amazing looking games running at 1080P and 60 FPS than 4K and 30 FPS with graphic options on 'medium' or whatever and it frustrates me that Microsoft will be focusing on 4K.

Imagine Forza Horizon running at 60 FPS with all the bells and whistles...

True. But I think it is no coincidence that Scorpio has 4,5 times more power than XBOX One. This is - round about - the exact amount of additional power you need to render current state-of-the art XBOX One games like Forza Horizon 3 at 4k at the same frame rate. Yet, no more, no less. So at least, devs indeed have the option to render their games at 4k, without much ado.

jelly

If only we could get a console gen with nice looking sharp shadows, good AF and AA with high quality effects. There is stuff you don't really see without video in those stills.

Putty

For Neo i'd be happy with a 2k image down scaled to 1080p output with a decent AA method. Highest level of AF, same with shadows...then whatever juice is left throw more bells and whistles at it. I'd like to see a bump in system memory aswell from 8gig to at least 12gig unless there's some swanky texture compression techniques Polaris has. Realistically I know Neo is supposed to have an additional 500mb free for developers but is there time for Sony to refine this close to the rumoured late 2017 launch?

Hazanko

Banned
I find it interesting how all of a sudden since Sony has decided to go the souped up 1080p route thats become good enough. 18 months out Microsoft says we are building a 4k system with no compromises. Yet some doubting them and saying no just me better 1080p. If the situation was flipped and Sony was going for a true 4k and Microsoft was just building a system to play 1080p games better there would be a 200+ page thread about it. Hop in the DeLorean folks, the future is 4K gaming.

Or maybe people DO want 1080p 60fps with ultra settings? It can't be that though....

1Look at what Battlefront can do on PS4, theres no way you could do that at 4k60 even on todays beefiest PC.

It requires SLI but yes, you can do it.

You can get better than console settings 4K 60 fps with the right GPU... today.... and since a year ago.

I think you mean GPUs. A single 980TI can't do it.

Unless you mean higher than console, but less than Ultra? Maybe. Here's a benchmark for high that I found.

But you also cannot really compare PC TFlops to Console TFlops.

Consoles were alway able to achieve more with lower power.

Nope, a GTX 950 is 1,57 TFLOPS and there is not a single game where it doesn't perform a lot better than both consoles. This misconception needs to die.

I'm surprised it took them this long to realize that resolution isn't everything. That power is far better used to get even better lighting, graphics quality and effects at a more manageable resolution, rather than going 4K just because you can. Games will end up looking far better if they target 1080p with superior lighting, shadows, effects etc.

I don't think we'll see many 4K games anyway. PS Neo won't have the power to do it, while with Scorpio developers have freedom of choice on how to use the power, and I doubt many will be willing to dedicate all the power to 4K rendering. I can see first party games pushing for 4K, but not many others.

And the fact that 95% of PC gamers who game on either Native 720p or Native 1080p monitors is also a clue that Native 4K won't be happening on any platform anytime soon.

I think you mean GPUs. A single 980TI can't do it. Unless you mean higher than console, but less than Ultra? Maybe. Hard to find benchmarks for that.

Yeah, I do not mean Ultra across the board rather high and medium, some stuff utlra like textures and a nice OC on a Titan X or 980 Ti for example. DF did a video discussing this topic with default clocks.

I am sure you could get away without touching resolution scaling if you OC'd the right amount aka 1500 or so.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I'm surprised it took them this long to realize that resolution isn't everything. That power is far better used to get even better lighting, graphics quality and effects at a more manageable resolution, rather than going 4K just because you can. Games will end up looking far better if they target 1080p with superior lighting, shadows, effects etc.

1080p on 4k displays is a different beast compared to other resolutions on a 1080p display. It's a clean, even scale so it looks sharp and avoids scaling artifacts. As someone that despised scaling artifacts, I would rather the clean scale with higher framerates and better effects.

Tonky

The overwhelming majority doesn't care about 60fps, we will likely get 1080p/30fps games with tons of post-processing and effects.

Boss★Moogle;207576025 said:
It isn't and if that's all it's gonna do for me then I won't be getting either of them. I only care about using the extra horsepower to get 60fps at 1080p in all games period.

Difference is, is that Microsoft's been the one who's been touting Native 4K gaming on the Scorpio. Not even Sony had made the same claim with the Neo.

Wait, i thought neo was purely upscaling to 4k?

They will be just upscaling. Sony never claimed Native 4K gaming on the Neo one bit.

Going for 4K and having backward compatible games is absolutely horrible for true gaming and development progress.
I'd rather have a dynamic real time GI solution which would speed up development time and look stellar. Just look at The Tomorrow Children's lighting. Blows anything out of the water.

This way we'll get the same stuff we are having already, but in higher res.

pDp7YRo.jpg

PoztXIF.jpg

IuyjHAV.jpg

3R8JMkv.jpg

v7SxryN.jpg

oNMV5yN.jpg

Slightly unfair comparison as it is showing off areas that will not showcase the difference in a more obvious manner: any shiny surface or - honestly - movement (due to the shadow aliasing) will make the game look quite different.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Hm, I don't think I really understand MS's and Sony's thought process behind the new consoles. I mean, their goal is to sell products -- and here they are coming out with a console, apparently intended for the enthusiast alone, both in design/function and marketing. It even risks lost sales on the standard console, at least until the marketing and purpose is clarified.

A company doesn't really care how good the graphics on their console is, they just care about selling consoles and games. But, as graphics get better, people will obviously demand better graphics for their games -- but, isn't that what typical console generations represented? How would console game sales look if all the console games still had Playstation 2/3 level graphics?

I mean, that's great, if that's really what it is, but it's strange for such a big a company to make something with, apparently, no interest in sales or profits, or doesn't make much sense in terms of potential sales (Especially if what they've said is true -- no exclusive games, marketing focused on how little difference it makes compared to the standard console.). (?)

Obviously, it's great for the gamers, but.. like I said, it doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe it's the Audi R8 which attracts attention even though most people will buy the A4? They don't need to sell lots initially as an enthusiast machine, and then slowly reduce cost as the high end machine becomes the standard and then they introduce a new high end.

Flo_Evans

These half step consoles just seem like a huge mistake.

Definitely not getting one at launch, esp if they play all the same games.

Of course everyone said the same thing about the last 2 gens...

vg260

The overwhelming majority doesn't care about 60fps, we will likely get 1080p/30fps games with tons of post-processing and effects.

Now that is waste, on Scorpio at least.

60 fps makes every game better, imo, no exceptions.

Heck, I went from a phone that was limited to 30 fps, to one that was 60 fps, and it was immediately a huge improvement in smoothness.

I would much rather have them get additional effects and 60 fps than trim those things for 4k. Like everything in computing the numbers rarely tell the whole story. There's a million aspects to overall image quality than just resolution.

M3d10n

The whole 4K push is just the "front". Both Sony and MS want to get their consoles VR-ready. The PS4 NEO has a bunch of hardware changes not publically mentioned to the GPU aimed squarely at VR.

Considering you actually need 4 times the GPU processing power to get 4K at the same detail level and framerate as 1080p, I'm not sure we're actually getting anywhere near that with Scorpio and Neo.

4K will largely be limited to indie games and UHD Blu-ray. Most games will still be in 1080p but have better graphics on Scorpio and Neo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Now that is waste, on Scorpio at least.

60 fps makes every game better, imo, no exceptions.

Heck, I went from a phone that was limited to 30 fps, to one that was 60 fps, and it was immediately a huge improvement in smoothness.

Every time a new generation or new piece of hardware comes along, so does the hope and expectation of 60fps. But with MS talking so much about 4K I just don't see 60fps happening.

Frankly if you really want 60fos in your games you should be looking at PC where you can choose to prioritise framerate over detail.

It's the best way to use the power for Sony but I am not sure if its the best way for MS. MS doesn't have other products tie to 4K. Unless Microsoft has a master plan to offer specific 4k-related functions on win10 and win11 only.

6TF is too much power for a mid-gen upgrade that has to keep its graphics capability within range of a 1.2TF machine. Either go next gen full stop or don't do it at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
According to the Steam hardware survey, 95 per cent of PC gamers are using 1080p or lower resolution screens. 1440p and 4K displays barely register, neither failing to hit even one per cent of the audience. 4K may well gain more traction in the living room, but the inescapable conclusion from the PC market is that the majority of gamers simply don't care about higher resolution screens. And with that in mind, the RX 480 is AMD's audacious play at targeting the mainstream PC gamer - and there is some irony that the same core technology is fuelling Sony's 4K aspirations.
I'm about to buy a 9 TFLOP GPU for my 1080p monitor. I definitely agree with their sentiment.

I have this horrible feeling that whatever systems release after Scorpio/Neo are going to be heavy on 4K/60fps "remasters" of all of the sub-1080p current gen games we've had.

To this day we still get games with dynamic resolution and sub-1080p displays in games. And now a mid-gen upgrade is supposed to bring us to 4K? :lol :lol

Top Bottom