• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is a PSP worth getting?

Radec

My gf bought a psp for patapon games alone last month.

Good thing I also pursued her to buy us a Switch too.

The PSP Go is a magical gift from heaven. That little fuck can play so much games

Its worth getting a Vita over PSP for sure though. Better screen, controls, and a whole extra catalogue of dating simulators and indies

orborborb

None of the UMD exclusives make it worth owning if you already have a Vita, but getting a frame less input lag than the Vita on Hot Shots Golf and Ridge Racer and Ultimate Ghosts n Goblins makes me hold onto mine. Brandish Dark Revenant is my favorite PSP game though, and I prefer to play that on the Vita, as with all the PS1 classics which are just too small on anything pre-Vita.

20cent

Banned
It has so many great games, you should get one if you never had one before.

On top of other games mentioned earlier: hot shots golf/everybody's golf, virtua tennis, outrun 2006, GT, persona series, visual novels and tons of jrpg, tactical, MGS etc etc.

Softmodding for emulation and PS1 is very easy too and most versions can be downgraded. That's convenient for those who have their Vita linked to crappy country PS store like me (HK) with no access to PSP/PS1 catalogue.

Get a PSPGo

If you are getting one I'd recommend the PSP 3000 over the other models. The screens on the OG have horrific ghosting even if the build quality is better.

Darktalon

Please do yourself a favor, get a Vita on 3.60 firmware or below, and then put HENKAKU (vita custom firmware) on it and then Adrenaline (psp emulator custom firmware).
You get Vita, PSP, and PS1 all on one device. It is glorious.

MrDoctor

arguably the best way to play ps1 games, especially if you get a Go. it's also incredibly quick and easy to hack for homebrew emulation.

those are only bonuses, though. the system is definitely worth it in terms of a good library.

Pros
  • Games are still fairly cheap with respect to "retro" games
  • TONS of great games from across many different genres
  • You can find some awesome UMD movies at thrift stores
  • Some great exclusives for popular game series
  • Can connect to a TV via component cables
  • 3rd party replacement batteries are cheap
  • Not region locked (can't believe I forgot to add this one the first time)

Cons
  • Kind of uncomfortable to hold if you have big hands
  • Kind of uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time
  • At this point, you're probably gonna need to replace a launch battery for one reason or another
  • PSP PSN store access is dead now

I CAN CONNECT MY FUCKING PSP TO THE TV? ARE YOU SHITTING ME? Holy dear moses this changes everything, oh my god.

scraz

Soft moded PSP is great for playing old games on. Who would say no to playing night trap on the toilet? You can get a micro SD adapter and a 64GB card for around 30 bucks instead of 90 on the vita. I updated my vita to the latest firmware since I already have access to all the good vita game i would play thru PS plus .

Man I really want to get a PSP again too. I've had every model except the Go, any Go owner in here? Is the original battery showing signs of dying and can it be replaced with a better, newer one? Does the Go suffer the same tragic fate as the Xperia Play with the flex cable issue? I might pull the trigger just to get a small and nice emulation machine for my long commutes.

sun-drop

Everybody's golf and destiny 2 are kinda making me think about buying a psp again....

Why the hell won't Sony let us install the remote play app on non Sony phones...so lame..

I googled and seems the current model is ulgy AF though...:/

PantsuJo

There are a lot of good or excellent rpg/srpg on PSP, indeed.

But I think the system shines with its arcade library: Tekken Dark Resurrection, Ridge Racer, Initial D, SF Alpha 3 and many others.

Superb handheld, imo.

Why the hell won't Sony let us install the remote play app on non Sony phones...so lame..

I've done it on non Sony phones in the past after following instructions from a guy on xda developers dot com and it worked on 3 separate devices (both Samsung tablets and my budget ZTE smart phone) but every time Sony releases a major PS4 firmware the devs have to start from scratch so as of right now I don't think it works

Here's the thread
https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/5-0-playstation-remote-play-android-t3466339

sun-drop

Thanks guys, got a PSP, since it was really cheap and in good shape.

Didn't opt for the vita, since for that price might as well save a bit more for a Switch

Please do yourself a favor, get a Vita on 3.60 firmware or below, and then put HENKAKU (vita custom firmware) on it and then Adrenaline (psp emulator custom firmware).
You get Vita, PSP, and PS1 all on one device. It is glorious.

This guy knows what's up.

20170919_223612.jpg

So good.

Top Bottom