• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone really surpised at how well the PSP is actually doing?

Juice

The lack of software/UMD sales tell us that the PSP isn't doing well. (unless PSN iso sales are just incredible). Worse, Sony could sell that hardware in perpetuity and it would never make a fat margin on the device. So from a RoI perspective, I'd say it's been a disappointment, and certainly way way below expectations.

From a hardware movement perspective, it hasn't done poorly compared to other game consoles WW, but since it doesn't sell software (blades), it's not even in the 'videogame market'. At this point, any success it's having is as a smart DAP, and when you compare its sales to the iPod, it's still a massive failure.

theBishop

Banned
Matix said:
I wouldn't note my current reaction to the present status of the PSP as being *surprising*, but more so ironically exciting. Initially it was obvious that the vast majority would assume that the PSP would decimate the DS. The PlayStation Portable was not only a sexy beast, but a technical masterpiece as well. And when it launched, it actually did obliterate the DS, with not only its superior hardware, but its more than impressive software lineup (yes, PSP has had great games since day one). So no one in early 2005 would of expected that Nintendo would be able to regain its gaming throne, by strategically grasping an untapped market with digital pets and touch test (this was the actual surprise of a generation).

Even with the PlayStation brand being at its peak of market domination, Sony's stubborn attitude became blinding, allowing Nintendo to re-capture the handheld gaming flag and run with it. Sony gave Nintendo not only enough time to revolutionize how handheld games are played, but also conquer the entire gaming industry in a few short years (again, the surprise of a generation). When the PSP finally regained conciseness, the DS had already made it look obsolete (especially after the release of the Lite). In the first half of 2006, it seemed no firmware update (Web Browser, Location Free, Flash, etc..), nor game (Daxter, Syphon Filter, Socom, GTA, Tekken, Field Commander, LocoRoco, etc..) could alter the invetiable PSP-RIP.

To be honest, as much as I adored this sleek portable, I thought the release of the PS3 + Wii combo would finally put that so called "final nail" in the PSP coffin. Although somehow the PSP still prevailed, surviving in this more than suffocated gaming generation. Not only has the PSP became the prime PlayStation platform (standing beyond the PS2 and PS3.. as of now), but it also seems to be slowly but surely proving it's worth. The remaining 2007 lineup for the PSP seems to be one of the best ever (Silent Hill 0rigins, God Of War, FF7: Crisis Core, Wild Arms XF, WipeOut Pulse, LocoRoco 2, Syphon Filter 2, Castlevania, etc) , and with the release of the PSP-Slim, the global appeal of this marvelous platform should be further expanded.

Regardless, the PSP has put us all on a unexpectedly exciting ride. From top to bottom, and now somewhere in the middle. If anything the PSP has been surprised the gaming industry in general. Further pushing expectations, and altering the approach taking by respectable competitors. The PSP has helped further expand a era of gaming that was becoming slowly cliché, and has stapled itself as an everlasting platform for future generations. Even more so, the progressing journey of the PSP and DS will be interesting to say the least.

Noob, PSP is dead.

Great Post ;)

Weisheit

Matix said:
I wouldn't note my current reaction to the present status of the PSP as being *surprising*, but more so ironically exciting. Initially it was obvious that the vast majority would assume that the PSP would decimate the DS. The PlayStation Portable was not only a sexy beast, but a technical masterpiece as well. And when it launched, it actually did obliterate the DS, with not only its superior hardware, but its more than impressive software lineup (yes, PSP has had great games since day one). So no one in early 2005 would of expected that Nintendo would be able to regain its gaming throne, by strategically grasping an untapped market with digital pets and touch test (this was the actual surprise of a generation).

Even with the PlayStation brand being at its peak in market domination, Sony's stubborn attitude became blinding, allowing Nintendo to re-capture the handheld gaming flag and run with it. Sony gave Nintendo not only enough time to revolutionize how handheld games are played, but also conquer the entire gaming industry in a few short years (again, the surprise of a generation). When the PSP finally regained conciseness, the DS had already made it look obsolete (especially after the release of the Lite). In the first half of 2006, it seemed no firmware update (Web Browser, Location Free, Flash, etc..), nor game (Daxter, Syphon Filter, Socom, GTA, Tekken, Field Commander, LocoRoco, etc..) could alter the invetiable PSP-RIP.

To be honest, as much as I adored this sleek portable, I thought the release of the PS3 + Wii combo would finally put that so called "final nail" in the PSP coffin. Although somehow the PSP still prevailed, surviving in this more than suffocated gaming generation. Not only has the PSP became the prime PlayStation platform (standing beyond the PS2 and PS3.. as of now), but it also seems to be slowly but surely proving it's worth. The remaining 2007 lineup for the PSP seems to be one of the best ever (Silent Hill 0rigins, God Of War, FF7: Crisis Core, Wild Arms XF, WipeOut Pulse, LocoRoco 2, Syphon Filter 2, Castlevania, etc) , and with the release of the PSP-Slim, the global appeal of this marvelous platform should be further expanded.

Regardless, the PSP has put us all on a unexpectedly exciting ride (from top to bottom, and now somewhere in the middle). If anything the PSP has been surprised the gaming industry in general. Further pushing expectations, and altering the approach taking by respectable competitors. The PSP has helped further expand a era of gaming that was becoming slowly cliché, and has stapled itself as an everlasting platform for future generations. Even more so, the progressing journey of the PSP and DS will be interesting to say the least.

BuddywithHay.jpg

Tiktaalik

I'm pretty surprised. I recall prior to the release of the DS and the PSP the common thought on these boards was that the PSP was going to wipe the floor with the DS. This feeling increased after the extremely successful PSP launch. However, I was always a bit skeptical of whether the PSP with it's high price, and PS2 port type games would find an audience. I thought I was right for a while when after the PSP launch the system seemed to really struggle to find good non PS2 port games, but in the last several months the system has really rebounded and is doing quite well as a handheld competitor.

It is though quite difficult to track how well it's doing as a system. Considering that the software sales are extremely low, and the hardware sales are surprisingly high, I'm not sure how healthy the platform actually is. I feel like it might be a luxury item that people buy but never really pick up again, or mostly use for movies. Of course there is also the homebrew/piracy argument, which I think is viable. The PSP audience skews older and is more tech savvy and the PSP is fairly easy to hack to run homebrew and pirated games. The DS is fairly easy to hack as well by simply buying something, but a fair bit of it's audience is younger and/or not interested in spending the fair bit of cash to hack it.

theBishop

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
the PSP is fairly easy to hack to run homebrew and pirated games.

I have a hard time believing PSP piracy is really a significant percentage of the userbase.

Xbox1 was pretty easy to softmod, but I didn't know many people who actually did it.

I doubt the PSP pirates are even 5%.

2DMention

Banned
theBishop said:
I have a hard time believing PSP piracy is really a significant percentage of the userbase.

Xbox1 was pretty easy to softmod, but I didn't know many people who actually did it.

I'd say the % is lower than you think. Among msg board posters, it's higher, but among Joe Q public that % is right.

PSPs are dumped on Craigslist all the time, way more than DS's.

The PSP is where I do most of my gaming simply due to convenience.
It has the games I want to play in abundance.

*** You know... I'm pretty sure most of you who claim "terrible UMD sales" are jumping the gun and talking out your rear thrusters.

Sales are obviously not gangbuster sales but then again game makers MUST be making some kind of worthwhile profit otherwise they would simply stop making games for the PSP.

Simple.

Woo-Fu

Banned
PSP beat the DS its first year out. It had the "cool" factor along with the playstation brand name pushing people to buy it. Then the lack of software became a fairly big issue.

Plenty of software now, it is a great handheld for gaming and media, not just media.

arias

Banned
UntoldDreams said:
*** You know... I'm pretty sure most of you who claim "terrible UMD sales" are jumping the gun and talking out your rear thrusters.

Sales are obviously not gangbuster sales but then again game makers MUST be making some kind of worthwhile profit otherwise they would simply stop making games for the PSP.

But it doesn't match up to the DS!! How in the world could a system profit if it doesn't have DS-like sales?!

Tiktaalik

theBishop said:

I don't think piracy is mega widespread or anything, but I think the PSP is probably the most pirated system out there right now it's having a bit of an effect. Personally I think low PSP sales are more about the fact that it's a luxury system that people buy on a whim and then don't play much. Unlike the DS which has a younger audience that is really into games and reads Nintendo Power etc.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Woo-Fu said:
PSP beat the DS its first year out. It had the "cool" factor along with the playstation brand name pushing people to buy it. Then the lack of software became a fairly big issue.

Plenty of software now, it is a great handheld for gaming and media, not just media.
Yeah, the PSP had one of the best launches in gaming history...but the following 9-12 months were extremely weak with only a few standout titles spread amongst the trash.

The DS was pretty terrible during this same period, but there were a few unique games available for it that really caught on and started the DS revolution.

I'm added about how poorly PSP software is doing relative to the hardware sales. :-(

Lumines is the only title with big sales these days and we all know what that means.

Pimpwerx

Nintendo fans get their panties in a bunch b/c a bunch of us called the DS an underpowered, overpriced piece of crap, which it is (technologically). I'm a tech elite, bitches, so I speaks the truth. :p But I know a whole bunch of people jumped off that bandwagon when the $200+ SKUs were revealed. But by then, the third pillar slurs had stuck, and all Nintendo fans could do was sulk and plot their revenge when the Pokebomb landed.

Well, it didn't even take Pokemon. That's what burns the most. It wasn't Pokemon that dominated the PSP. It was some ****ing dog scratcher game (which I shamefully enjoyed) and a bunch of goofy colors. The Lite was just the illegal elbow to the back of the head. Pokemon will salt the earth.

The PSP is doing fine. Killing everything else, at least. But it's software sales suck, and it's getting gapped by the DS. The DS's success is that much more extraordinary. It's really like iPod levels of ridiculous. PEACE.

Matix said:
The remaining 2007 lineup for the PSP seems to be one of the best ever (Silent Hill 0rigins, God Of War, FF7: Crisis Core, Wild Arms XF, WipeOut Pulse, LocoRoco 2, Syphon Filter 2, Castlevania, etc) , and with the release of the PSP-Slim, the global appeal of this marvelous platform should be further expanded.

That lineup sure is looking great!

speculawyer said:
I'm added about how poorly PSP software is doing relative to the hardware sales. :-(

Lumines is the only title with big sales these days and we all know what that means.

Definitely Lumines is a great game.

Pimpwerx said:
Nintendo fans get their panties in a bunch b/c a bunch of us called the DS an underpowered, overpriced piece of crap, which it is (technologically). I'm a tech elite, bitches, so I speaks the truth. :p But I know a whole bunch of people jumped off that bandwagon when the $200+ SKUs were revealed. But by then, the third pillar slurs had stuck, and all Nintendo fans could do was sulk and plot their revenge when the Pokebomb landed.

Well, it didn't even take Pokemon. That's what burns the most. It wasn't Pokemon that dominated the PSP. It was some ****ing dog scratcher game (which I shamefully enjoyed) and a bunch of goofy colors. The Lite was just the illegal elbow to the back of the head. Pokemon will salt the earth.

Good imitation of Monorojo. :lol

J-Rzez

dammitmattt said:
I'm surprised that the software sales are so low.

I'm not to be honest... It's a very multi-faced machine... I have a lot of games for mine, but honestly, I use it more while i'm at work as a MP3 and vid machine... I wouldn't doubt there's a lot of people out there that use it for it's non-gaming media means...

arias said:
But it doesn't match up to the DS!! How in the world could a system profit if it doesn't have DS-like sales?!

GAF logic defies gravity, time, space, and the hot spiciness of Kimchi.

Woe to those who dare defy GAF logic with mere mortal intelligence.

DeaconKnowledge said:
The problem from a sales standpoint with the PSP though is that they had no direction with it, The iPod could potentially have the same problems as the PSP

The Ipod did have that problem early on, iirc. Anyone remember the "RIP. BURN." ads? Which were later changed to RIP. BURN. RESPECT. ?

On topic... I gues I'm surprised. But not really; its a great tinker toy for techies. What surprises me is how much PSP software is sitting on the shelf, and how 90% of the people I know own one and do not own more than two UMD games.

pswii60

I have to admit, I thought it was going to be game-over for the Gameboy/DS brand when PSP hit, but how wrong could I be.

The thing is, casuals who don't know about these things, just assume even now that PSP is selling better, simply because it's a Playstation. How wrong can they be eh? Every kid in the land wants a DS for Pokemon and Cooking Mama, and everyone's cooking mama wants one to train their brains.

But PSP's software sales are a complete joke. The main reasons for this are:

a) Target market is teens and students, who likely have a games console at home, so only get a couple of games for commuting to uni etc
b) This same target market are pretty hip on computers and therefore...
c) will have no trouble hacking and downloading pirated games as it's apparently so easy on PSP

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I'm happy to see that the PSP is finally hitting its stride again, which I felt it lost in the horrible post-launch period drought. I also long felt that the PSP was priced way, way too high, since even after its library slowly grew into something impressive and formidable, it was underperforming.

I think Sony really, really messed up by (apparently) losing touch of the PSP in order to more fully focus on the PS3. It made little difference to either the folks that hadn't yet adopted a PSP, OR the hopeful PS3 community, but it did do the PSP userbase a disservice, IMHO.

Still, things seem on the up-and-up now. Both from a legitimate and a homebrew perspective! (Versus just the latter, previously).

I still think that the software side has quite a ways to go, but with an expanding userbase, that's a problem that should, to a certain extent, take care of itself.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
DeaconKnowledge said:
I believe this is what they call revisionist history.

Yes, that is a correct term for it.

"Man, this is like 1995 over again. We have Sony entering a Nintendo bastion, and with better hardware and 3rd party games it will beat Nintendo"

to

"OMG, is anyone surprised the PSP is doing good?"

:lol

You know what, I was the person that said stuff like that when the PSP was announced because it had better hardware, better games, and better graphics. It was the better hardware and the DS was clearly something that was hastily made, and it shows even now because the console could have been at least Dreamcast level. Then when the console price was announced at $250 and we never got to core pack that they sold in Japan for $180 bucks until early this year I just said "forget it."

.dmc

Banned
Didn't read past the first page, but while it definately failed to meet it's initial expectations, the PS3 is putting it into perspective how well the PSP is actually doing. Remember how much we used to lol @ 30-40k sales for the PSP? Damn that seems like solid sales now..

So yeah, I'm surprised it is holding on as well as it has, especially considering lackluster software sales, but we're now measuring it by a completely different set of expectations to what we did when it launched.

Lobster

Banned
Yes. I didn't expect it to destroy the DS but it is having consistent sales. In Japan it sells 30k a week and in US around 250k a month. Thats good.

I agree with the TO. The PSP is doing fine. Of course if you compare it next to the DS is looks poor, but then again the DS is a phenomenon.

It was the mad commentators who thought that the PSP would kill off Nintendo back in 2004. They (the bloggers) had raised expectations, and now that the PSP isn't doing as well as they initially thought it would be they consider it a failure. Madness.

RumpledForeskin said:
How do you know this? PSP doesn't need extra hardware beside a memory stick so I would imagine its much easier.

With no firmware updates required for new games it is much easier on the DS.

But I doubt piracy has a major impact on both DS and PSP sales.

[Nintex]

Since this thread is a cluster**** anyway...

I for one think the PSP was the beginning of the end.
Before the PSP Nintendo did their happy Ninty things and made proft from the GBA. Then Sony came along with the PSP and was like: "Eat this we're going to kick you out of the console/handheld race!! muahahahah." Nintendo was like: "Jezus Crysis what do we do?" So they summoned Dr. Kawashima and some crazy ass idea with two screens... WiiFit is not to blame, the PSP is.

[Nintex] said:
I for one think the PSP was the beginning of the end.
Before the PSP Nintendo did their happy Ninty things and made proft from the GBA. Then Sony came along with the PSP and was like: "Eat this we're going to kick you out of the console/handheld race!! muahahahah." Nintendo was like: "Jezus Crysis what do we do?" So they summoned Dr. Kawashima and some crazy ass idea with two screens... WiiFit is not to blame, the PSP is.

You're going to need to be more specific on what this 'end' you're talking about is.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
rakka said:
wtf?

Surprised that its doing so well?

It was supposed to kill the DS, no?

Didn't read the thread at all, eh? This has been brought up since..oh...second post? Third? And numerous, numerous times after that?

Anyway, I am very satisfied with my PSP these days. Handhelds are cheap...easy to buy them all...I see a lot of people on the subway playing PSP and DS. Actually, pretty surprising how many I see.

Micro > all else.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
monkeylite said:
I agree with the TO. The PSP is doing fine. Of course if you compare it next to the DS is looks poor, but then again the DS is a phenomenon.

It was the mad commentators who thought that the PSP would kill off Nintendo back in 2004. They (the bloggers) had raised expectations, and now that the PSP isn't doing as well as they initially thought it would be they consider it a failure. Madness.

This is sort of like everyone in America claiming it wasn't them that supported the war in 2003, it was those OTHER people who got bamboozled. The facts just aren't there; the disproportionate opinion both online and offline back during launch season was that PSP had better support, better hardware, more potential, and that the DS was a kiddie trinket.

The DS really had a massive turnaround in public opinion starting with Nintendogs and continuing on today, and anything else is total historical revisionism.

Pachael

rakka said:
wtf?

Surprised that its doing so well?

It was supposed to kill the DS, no?

Yup - it was supposed to but didn't. On the other hand, it's a very versatile portable device which is fantastic technically but I think not many have taken full advantage of it. Hope Sony try again next gen ;p

commish

Stumpokapow said:
This is sort of like everyone in America claiming it wasn't them that supported the war in 2003, it was those OTHER people who got bamboozled. The facts just aren't there; the disproportionate opinion both online and offline back during launch season was that PSP had better support, better hardware, more potential, and that the DS was a kiddie trinket.

The DS really had a massive turnaround in public opinion starting with Nintendogs and continuing on today, and anything else is total historical revisionism.

This is 100% correct. I don't know of a single person who thought the DS would succeed like this, and things did seem to change with nintendogs. For portables, cost trumps all. Hello! Let's not forget the Turbo express!

commish said:
This is 100% correct. I don't know of a single person who thought the DS would succeed like this, and things did seem to change with nintendogs. For portables, cost trumps all. Hello! Let's not forget the Turbo express!

I never thought it was possible for Sony to kick Nintendo out of the portable gaming industry. But I didn't know that Nintendo DS would be as successful as it was, but quite a number of people weren't expecting the PSP to kill off the DS.

For the PSP to be doing much better on the hardware side, it would have to be a system, like the DS, that is largely not worth playing. So fail on!

The software sales really do need to pick up, though.

fartblast

Banned
im gonna buy a PSP with Killzone and MGS or something, maybe a GTA today. i would wait til sept but due to my location i really dont have anything else to play... speaking of which, which is better LCS or VCS?

commish

I don't know how people could have thought the PSP would kill off the DS at all...you'd have to totally ignore videogame history. How often does hardware win over price/games? If the PSP was released at 99, then...

Armitage

Three years ago I thought it'd blow the DS out of the water, a year ago I kind of thought the PSP was just going to fade away in an N64 style slow death, and now I believe it'll end up merely okay.

commish said:
I don't know how people could have thought the PSP would kill off the DS at all...you'd have to totally ignore videogame history. How often does hardware win over price/games? If the PSP was released at 99, then...

The DS was bulky and ugly, two screens were seen as a total gimmick, touch screen wasn't being used well. The PSP was slick, capable and had some great launch games.

loosus

Banned
There was a time when even Nintendo of America was convinced that its days of handheld domination were over. Go look at interviews from the 2004-2005 period. They were beating that "IT'S A THIRD PILLAR GUYZ" drum so ****ing hard.

Sales of the PSP versus the DS in the first year in North America (and to a lesser extent, even Japan) certainly didn't help things. Sales in the first year are why the gap between DS and PSP isn't even bigger.

Lobster

Banned
Yoboman said:
PSP killed DS. DS died so quickly that they had to release DS Lite

DS was a prototype to see how well the market grasped it. When it started selling, Nintendo launched the DS Lite. I remember reading that somewhere before..I think Iwata said it.

Top Bottom