• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is everybody aware how tremendously good Path of Exile is these days?

People were level 90 on day 2 of the league, just saying. Leveling in this game is not some herculean task, it can be annoying as shit if you pick a wrong build/skill and try to level with it though.

So, what is the hour commitment? Can I get to level 90 is 2-3 hours?

carlsojo

Necromancers in D3 unlock Corpse Explosion at level 4 which takes maybe a half hour? and from then on it's corpse-exploding goodness all over the place.

Dahbomb

I don't know how long ago you guys played PoE but the leveling has been improved a lot recently. There's just more stuff to do early on with stuff like Prophecies, Labyrinth trials, Master missions and random instances.

Also a lot of players just don't know how to play the game well and what to do early on. Like so many new players don't even pick a Quicksilver flask in the initial options of the medicine chest side quest. The difference between a player playing with a Quicksilver/Silver flask in the early stages versus those that don't makes a massive difference.

PrimeBeef

I'm guessing you didn't get very far into PoE if you felt it was too slow. This is a common complaint and it sucks that people immediately get turned off by it and just don't push forward. The payoff is there if you put in the time, but too many people want that fast immediately available feeling of flying through and destroying everything out of the gate.

I have 2 friends who I know would enjoy PoE but they just can't get through the slow part of the game. The feeling of accomplishment is definitely there if people are willing to just give it a bit of time...
Not too familiar with the way the game is laid out story wise but I would say I hit my "enough" point in the green/jungle/forest area. It still feels sluggish and I'm just not enjoying myself.

I start new characters and try different classes each time I check it out and each tine about halfway through that area I can't do it any longer. As said earlier, I'm not a fan of the it gets good at endgame stuffs. Maybe PoE will never be for me and that is OK.

Dahbomb

Not too familiar with the way the game is laid out story wise but I would say I hit my "enough" point in the green/jungle/forest area. It still feels sluggish and I'm just not enjoying myself.

I start new characters and try different classes each time I check it out and each tine about halfway through that area I can't do it any longer. As said earlier, I'm not a fan of the it gets good at endgame stuffs. Maybe PoE will never be for me and that is OK.
That's Act 2 of Act 10, that's not even close to "end game".

By Act 2 you should have stuff like Faster Attack gems, movement skills, auras, totems and Quicksilver flasks to help you move and attack faster (and kill stuff faster). Like there is a considerable spike from Act 1 to Act 2 in terms of speed. If you missed out on those things then it gets a lot worse trekking through the environments.

LCGeek

formerly sane
I detected lag on the first hits when I began the game and dropped it. Is it really that responsive? Xbox here.

Its tcp based and I doubt you let your router run as wild as it could.

Worse you're on xbox and there's way to turn off offloads or disable nagle like pc users can for the genre.

Ultrabum

Okay, so how many hours do I need to invest in PoE before the combat feels "good" if I'm somebody who thinks it doesn't at the beginning where as D3 does?

probably more than you are willing to invest. Id say it began to feel better than D3 at around 30 hours or so on my second build. and thats ok, poe isnt for everyone, hell, its not for most people. But at hour 900 or so, it feels so good compared to games like D3.

bati

'Classes' are completely irrelevant at the point you got to. What you probably did is take several hours to reach the forest on each of your characters - a route that experienced players usually finish in 20-30 minutes. It's no wonder you get fed up, I would too if I spent 5+ hours in act 1.

I don't really want to tell people how to play the game but if you're playing this for the story and quests I'd honestly advise you to play something else, because the gameplay during leveling just isn't all that great - even if you know what you're getting into you'll have periods where you'll be missing some stats for equipment or gems, have resist gaps, etc. Leveling areas are supposed to be blitzed through so you can get to the real game. It's a bit like WoW's endgame - leveling is tedious as shit and you only do it so you can have fun raiding in the end.

Dahbomb

Okay, so how many hours do I need to invest in PoE before the combat feels "good" if I'm somebody who thinks it doesn't at the beginning where as D3 does?
It really depends on the build, your play speed and your knowledge of the game.

I think once you get a solid 4 link going then you start feeling into the rhythm of things especially with a movement skill. I think by Act 4-5 you get to this stage. Every Act takes about 1-2 hours to beat, so I would say by 7-8 hours you should be getting into the feel of things.

Of course you would have to be making the right choices in terms of builds, item pick ups and crafting. If you are still not picking up attack speed/cast speed items, Silver/Quicksilver flasks, movement speed stuff then you are still going to feel bad. Doubly so when you are playing a Marauder class character and you don't have Resolute technique yet because not only are you attacking slow but a quarter of your attacks are missing which feels really bad. That's was one of the things I disliked the most playing PoE, that your attack skills can't miss but thankfully there are workarounds to it (Ranger/Duelists usually have enough Accuracy from Dexterity gains that they rarely miss, Marauders/Templars can pick Resolute technique, other characters can just play a spell and not have to worry about missing stuff entirely).

Check out this dude's speed run through acts 1-3 using a "slow" Marauder/Earthquake build:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLsf0JB_Xy8

Khezu

Hearing the loading times are fixed makes me want to give it another shot.

Either it or Warframe.

Both are somewhat in a similar ballpark I guess.

I would probably enjoy the combat of Warframe a lot more.

diablogod

'Classes' are completely irrelevant at the point you got to. What you probably did is take several hours to reach the forest on each of your characters - a route that experienced players usually finish in 20-30 minutes. It's no wonder you get fed up, I would too if I spent 5+ hours in act 1.

I don't really want to tell people how to play the game but if you're playing this for the story and quests I'd honestly advise you to play something else, because the gameplay during leveling just isn't all that great - even if you know what you're getting into you'll have periods where you'll be missing some stats for equipment or gems, have resist gaps, etc. Leveling areas are supposed to be blitzed through so you can get to the real game. It's a bit like WoW's endgame - leveling is tedious as shit and you only do it so you can have fun raiding in the end.

I like the story in the new/semi new acts (Acts 4-10 for me have a sweet story.)

bati

Depends on the build. If you like twohanders you can get pretty powerful even on a 4L by level 40 or so. You can get Resolute Technique (notable keystone - can't miss, but also can't crit) by level 25-30 and that already makes a huge difference. At level 40-48 you get access to some twohanders that massively outclass level appropriate content so you can feel like a god all the way to the end of act 10 with some equipment swaps. In short, 2-3 hours if you know what you're doing.

(these uniques are dirt cheap btw, they cost 1 alch which an average mapper gets every few seconds in assorted currency)

TaterTots

Banned
POE was my first top down ARPG that I tried. I uninstalled it after 2 hours. However, I've been playing Diablo 3 nearly nonstop for a week. Something I enjoy about it more. I can't pin point it.

Sorry Diablo 3 stans, but Diablo 2 is my favorite game of all time next to Zelda and Diablo 3 is utter shit compared to PoE.

Path of Exile is everything I've ever wanted in a Diablo game and more, and this sentiment is shared by the majority of PoE players.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Yep. It has been the only game I have played since 3.0 released. I'm currently working my way through maps.

diablogod

Sorry Diablo 3 stans, but Diablo 2 is my favorite game of all time next to Zelda and Diablo 3 is utter shit compared to PoE.

Path of Exile is everything I've ever wanted in a Diablo game and more, and this sentiment is shared by the majority of PoE players.

I think Diablo 3 does what it sets out to do pretty well so I don't think it's terrible in that regard but it clearly was not trying to recapture the same essence that made Diablo 2 great which Path of Exile does in spades. I think that's why alot of the old hardcore Diablo 2 players hold PoE in such high regard and reject Diablo 3.

Khezu

POE was my first top down ARPG that I tried. I uninstalled it after 2 hours. However, I've been playing Diablo 3 nearly nonstop for a week. Something I enjoy about it more. I can't pin point it.

Combat is a lot more polished, which goes a long way to making a first impression.

And if you are new to the genre, a game that feels fun to play from the start is going to be far more appealing, then something that was generally pretty clunky from when I tried it.

Vamphuntr

People were level 90 on day 2 of the league, just saying. Leveling in this game is not some herculean task, it can be annoying as shit if you pick a wrong build/skill and try to level with it though.

Leveling past 75 is really slow because maps become really challenging and the XP penalty for dying starts to hurt. People getting to 90 quickly are more or less expert of past seasons. If you are new it will be challenging to get there. I started a character on this season on PC and I'm like at level 80 after 45 hours.

Currency Tab + some premium stash tabs are probably mandatory if you intend to stick with the game. Something like 20 or 25 bucks? I don't really remember because I purchased the stuff years ago and it has sufficed ever since.

Currency Tab and Stash Tabs are not mandatory at all... I've been playing this game since Closed beta and have not once felt the need to expand beyond 4 default tabs

Now I don't play 5 characters each new update, but I do play 1 or 2 characters each update / new ladder (which is a clean stash each time) to completion. If you feel the need to play 5 or more characters through to completion than yeah... you might want additional stash tabs, but otherwise I don't see how stash tabs are at all necessary.

I've been playing it for the past few weeks. I love everything about these games (PoE, Diablo, Torchlight, etc) and genre except for the actual combat, which is a significant portion of the time you'll spend playing the game. For people who say there's a big difference in combat quality between these games (specifically this and D3), what is it?

I played D3 years back on PS3 so maybe the D3 being referred to now is a very different game, but the one I played was "hold the button and attack forever" just like PoE. I think the screen shook more in D3 and there was more rumble in the controller, but what makes the combat part of the gameplay more fun to play in D3?

Dahbomb

D3 had enemy physics and fancier special effects.

Like you would do a Seven Sided Strike as a Monk and enemies would start flying in spectacular fashion. And even if you were doing no damage, it felt like you were hitting hard.

PoE doesn't get to this point later on into the game if you start playing a Crit character with Reverb enabled in the options.

Lol at the combat feels good at lvl 80+... how many hours would that take to get to if you are new to the game?

In D3 you get a power spike every level more or less and new exciting ways to get to the next. One second you are blowing dart the next you shoot fire bats from your hands and a few minutes later you have a gigantic frog eating enemies while they are stuck in a pihrana pool you created.

When the endgame comes there are plenty of playstyles that can suit you that plays and looks wastly different to. Want to have an army of fethis at your side? Want to drain your enemies with soul harvest? Want to kill them by running into them as an exploding chicken there is even an build for that.

Will all of those be the "meta" build that pushes the highest rifts? Off course not but they all provide very distinguished play styles and works in the end game and those are just some of all the possible WD builds and then there are many other characters as well.

That is what I find exciting and rewarding not an endgame that I have to wait for hours upon hours to reach and make the enemies go poof with a red nova instead of blue one trick pony this time.

How anyone can think the combat in this game looks exciting is beyond me

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Lol at the combat feels good at lvl 80+... how many hours would that take to get to if you are new to the game?

In D3 you get a power spike every level more or less and new exciting ways to get to the next. One second you are blowing dart the next you shoot fire bats from your hands and a few minutes later you have a gigantic frog eating enemies while they are stuck in a pihrana pool you created.

When the endgame comes there are plenty of playstyles that can suit you that plays and looks wastly different to. Want to have an army of fethis at your side? Want to drain your enemies with soul harvest? Want to kill them by running into them as an exploding chicken there is even an build for that.

Will all of those be the "meta" build that pushes the highest rifts? Off course not but they all provide very distinguished play styles and works in the end game and those are just some of all the possible WD builds and then there are many other characters as well.

That is what I fun exciting and rewarding not an endgame that I have to wait for hours upon hours to reach and make the enemies go poof with a red nova instead of blue one trick pony this time.

Because you're only looking at the first few levels or the last few levels. By around level 10-15, you should have a slew of gems available to you to start doing cooler shit.

I was the same way until I finally decided to say fuck it and give it a good college effort. I'm glad I did because the game opens up SO much after you finish the opening shit.

It's not fair to shit on PoE because you haven't done fair research. It may still not be the game for you, and that's legit. But it's got a lot going on that merits a good Hour of your time.

Dahbomb

D3 and PoE have very different approaches to skills, builds and classes.

So saying that you can summon frogs, then dogs then darts every level in D3 is a meaningless statement in PoE.

In PoE you can slot a gem that summons zombies, slot a different gem that summons raging spirits and then slot a different that summons specters (any enemy minion can be summoned to fight alongside you). You are not level restricted to these things, you can start using these abilities as soon as you get them.

People just stick to one type of summon, attack skill or spell because that's optimum and that's the same way in D3. It's not like you are going to doing a Firebat build combined with a summoner build as a WD.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

That's the thing. It's a game geared towards hardcore theory crafters who love spending tons of time dreaming up builds and testing them out. Those folks existed in Diablo II, of course, but that was also an extremely accessible game that was tons of fun from the get go. Diablo III pretty much scorned that audience by going further in the accessible route and away from the extreme customization route. People who liked Diablo for the atmosphere and action were fine, but it was a nightmare for people who derived most of their enjoyment from coming up with creative builds. PoE is the game for them. Personally, I don't find much fun in the moment-to-moment action, and that hurts the game greatly for me (I also don't like the Conan-like world they came up with, but that's besides the point). The game identified its niche and specialized for it hardcore.

But D3 is fun from the start, I can level a character to 70 in 1-2 hours, and it's fun the whole time.

I think this is one of the big problem - people are comparing their experience as an expert at D3 to their experience as being a brand-new player at PoE. As a brand-new player of D3, you're not getting to LV70 in 2 hours. And as an experienced player of PoE, you're not taking about getting to Act 2 or LV20 like it's some sort of big slice of the game - that's something that you're doing in like an hour or so in SSF mode (solo-self find) or much faster if you're using leveling gear.

Likewise sockets/links aren't a big obstacle these days like they used to be a couple years ago. You can get all your gear up to 4-links with ease by around act 3 or so, save the 5-link for early-to-mid endgame and the 6-link for the late endgame. You don't actually need 5 or 6-links unless you're doing a cast-on-crit build (and those are much less popular these days since they nerfed them). A 4-link from scratch only costs 10 jeweler's & 5 fusings from scratch with Vorici's crafting bench and you don't have to craft them all from scratch since you'll naturally find some usable 4-links just from loot drops.

Path of Exile has a high learning curve. It's a game that is meant to be played for hundreds of hours. It's not for everybody, but for its target audience, it's amazing and just keeps getting better with each new patch & content addition. I've played & enjoyed Diablo 3 & Grim Dawn and many other games in the genre and though some of those games have certain aspects that I think are better than PoE (like offline play & sound effects enhancing combat feel in D3), I feel Path of Exile is the best overall game in the genre.

That is what I find exciting and rewarding not an endgame that I have to wait for hours upon hours to reach and make the enemies go poof with a red nova instead of blue one trick pony this time.

Why do people embarrass themselves by criticising something they obviously haven't played due to the laughable content of their post?

TaterTots

Banned
Not to derail, but didn't D3 change a lot after release with regards to looting and such? At least that's what I'm reading elsewhere. I'll probably give PoE another shot once I'm done with D3, but I'm pretty content now.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Personally I liked D3 a LOT more than PoE. I am keen enough to see that PoE has a much better crafting system as well as an interesting skill/progression tree, but D3 is just so much more fun and satisfying.

Maybe if I put 40+ hours into a character I would enjoy PoE more. But D3 is fun from the start, I can level a character to 70 in 1-2 hours, and it's fun the whole time. Plus the combat is just way better. Also, I can level using Adventure Mode rather than the campaign, which is awesome.

PoE may be better for some, and maybe that includes people who put hundreds or thousands of hours in. Me personally, I play D3 for 30-50 hours and then leave it alone for a few months, and come back during every second season or so.

Also, the camera is too-zoomed in in PoE, it's distracting.

Just my not-hot take.

Sounds like a comfy couch argument.

I switched from D3 considering that the only thing you're relating is the style and flow of combat. Difficulty there's no arguement POE offers more especially if we are talking, shaper, atizir, izaro, or gaurdians nothing in D3 will offer their challenge especially if we considering the player's awareness of the game.

Also I'm calling BS on some of your claims. You can start out quite fast in POE. Someone in the XBox thread started off with a 6 link items for power leveling. There's no way in D3 to ever have that equivalent when you start fresh. You can run through the game in a few more hours and considering I'm not a pro all it takes is a little bit of knowledge. Be it 2.6 or 3.0 you can have a lot of early game power you aren't going to see in D3 until you get T1 gear. POE lets you get at gems and certain early game gear that D3 never let use you until you get to Torment or get sets.

You can use a custom resolution that exceeds 16:9 for better zoom FOV or get widescreen monitor, but I have to zoomhack D3 to get the zoom level I like no need in POE with what I mentioned.

Also once you're done with the campaign mode in 3.0 you map, which is the endgame anyways. It doesn't take effort sounds like you're awareness is keeping you from maxing what the game allows if you beat certain tasks. I leveled my ranger this season in 7 hours with crap gear. I still hit harder than me demon hunters have managed too for the same amount of time.

POE rewards efficiency and gambling in a way D3 just can't. Pathetic because both game can learn a lot in some areas from each other. PLayed D3 for ten seasons and only am on my 2nd of POE.

Sarcasm

Don't really think either is more harder then the other.

I also don't recommend watching streams as:

1) Boring AF to watch games like these

2) Unless leveling, you're watching the top just farm ( mass pulling, doing same shit over and over).

Shinypogs

Is the story better? I played years ago and quit after meeting the gemling queen (or she's the last relevant figure I remember meeting) and couldn't find motivation to continue. The combat was really fun but I just couldn't feel invested in the story or my character. Is that better now? I might give it another shot regardless but it'd be nice if the story was now more compelling.

Stasis

Loved it from (almost) the very beginning. But every time I try to go back I just do not feel like going through the first parts of the game.

Whereas this was never a problem with various other ARPGs and still isn't. Even D3 which I hated for so long. D2, Titan's Quest, Torchlight, etc. I can always restart. PoE I just bummed out a few hours in even though I know how amazing it gets later.

Syril

Well I'm playing Path of Exile from the beginning right now and it's a way stronger start than the last time I played. They obviously realized how stingy the early game was with materia and made the first vendor sell loads of cheap class-appropriate materia that come pre-leveled with your progress.

The early game can be a bit rough. Frost blades with princess swords and a tabula with elreon rings will let anyone fly through the first 4 acts without investing in damage nodes, though.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Don't really think either is more harder then the other.

Don't see how this is possible to say if you faced uber atziri or shaper there's nothing in D3 like them.

Feel free to explain but gear or skill wise I'm not seeing it.

Tried it again after the last update and uninstalled after 20min.

Look, feel and gameplay are nowhere close to Diablo3.

That's what i thought and that's why i never spend more than a few minutes on it. This thread almost made me try again.

Kinda crazy how on reddit the poe subreddit has 10 times the concurrent reader count of d3's subreddit (6k and 600) but on gaf it seems 50/50 on poe/d3. My personnal feeling too is that most arpg players migrated from d3 to poe over the years.

Preeeeetty sure you're not gonna hit Lv60 in D3 in 2 hours, and all the levels below it feel tedious because you don't have everything yet.

Sure you can party with someone, sit at the entrance and do rifts/high T levels to hit Lv60 in 15 - 30 mins, but that's not different from PoE players blitzing through the game because they already know it inside out and have leveling gear stashed.

Tried it out for PC a couple weeks ago and really liked it. Took the Witch class as I don't usually go magic user so I decided to try something new. It's pretty fun. One of those games you can jump in and out of relatively easy and take breaks and you don't feel like you missed anything.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Preeeeetty sure you're not gonna hit Lv60 in D3 in 2 hours, and all the levels below it feel tedious because you don't have everything yet.

Sure you can party with someone, sit at the entrance and do rifts/high T levels to hit Lv60 in 15 - 30 mins, but that's not different from PoE players blitzing through the game because they already know it inside out and have leveling gear stashed.

You can get to 70 in 2 hours just quicking grinding certain places solo.

I'm new to POE and even fresh now compared to earlier points in the game's history you can beat Act 10 and go to maps with no trouble. I got there messing around a lot and doing all my side quests for passives had I cut that down I could've easily done it in 4-5.

Both games are pretty quick compared to where they started.

I've done D3 in 4 hours myself with the method shown, you can carry people easily as well just need to keep good massacre combos.

Backlogger

I played it for a couple hours on Xbox One and while it wasn't bad it wasn't that great either. I've put way more hours into Diablo 3 and also Grimm Dawn both of which I feel are superior games.

Tried it again after the last update and uninstalled after 20min.

Look, feel and gameplay are nowhere close to Diablo3.

That's my thoughts too

Like, yeah there's a big sphere grid of shit to build my character with but it's ultimately all garbage. "15 more Mana and 10 more points on my Mana shield" is uninteresting and not shit that is going to make me care about "variety of builds"

It's why I liked when WOW went to 6 talents or whatever vs the 31 point trees. "+1/2/3/4/5% crit chance" is a stale and boring character choice

That's my thoughts too

Like, yeah there's a big sphere grid of shit to build my character with but it's ultimately all garbage. "15 more Mana and 10 more points on my Mana shield" is uninteresting and not shit that is going to make me care about "variety of builds"

It's why I liked when WOW went to 6 talents or whatever vs the 31 point trees. "+1/2/3/4/5% crit chance" is a stale and boring character choice

Keep in mind the passive skill tree system don't replace a traditional skill system like d2's skill tree. it's more of the replacement of the attribute system. The replacement for the active stuff is the gem system and all the crazy permutations you can do by linking gems together. Also some nodes are pretty interesting, giving you a big advantage with a massive drawback. Like one that put your hp at 1 but makes you immune to a type of damage, another one that makes you enable to crit but you always have 100% accuracy, or another one that removes your mana globe completely but you spend life now instead of mana for your skills.

Kinda crazy how on reddit the poe subreddit has 10 times the concurrent reader count of d3's subreddit (6k and 600) but on gaf it seems 50/50 on poe/d3. My personnal feeling too is that most arpg players migrated from d3 to poe over the years.
I think GAF is largely PS4, and PoE isn't on PS4.

Based on this thread, GAF also seems to just prefer mindless casual ARPGs. I was sceptical of PoE, but 3.0 really got its hooks into me, and I completely get why it's the better game.

Top Bottom