• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Hajime Tabata a "tensai"? (genius)

inner-G

Banned
Not a genius but I'd give him an A for effort.

Would you say... a genius of efforts?

rock-lee-amzel-3202887ukgc.jpg

theofficefan99

He's a hardworker that delivered a solid but flawed title that released after years of being stuck in development hell.

He also gets an unreasonable amount of hate from some, probably folks who want a person to bash because they are children who don't understand the difficulties of game development or people who get too emotional over their disdain for FFXV.

I've played through all 4 games that he's directed. I hated the shit out of Type-0, thought The 3rd Birthday was a badly handled mess, and thought Crisis Core was terrible outside its stellar production values. Now, after XV, I am certain that he is not a good director whatsoever. At least in my opinion.

I see the Yoshi-P mentions and erm...well, as much as I respect the man for everything up to ARR's successful launch and the success since, that was a few years ago. But of late I've found him to be a very middling director, and that's putting it kindly. I'm largely going to broadly echo what Arkeband said.

Stormblood is yet another extension of the same game we've already played up until then. And that's fine for a lot of people. I appreciate that a typically predictable patch cycle is comforting and is conducive for raid groups to start planning ahead and knowing what to expect. Not for me though. I don't feel Yoshi-P is able to give the game a decent revitalising shot up the arm necessary to regain my long term attention and interest. I haven't subbed since finishing the initial Stormblood story and I'm not seeing much of anything in Patch 4.1 to entice me back either.

Timeaisis

Couldn't have just said "genius" in the title, huh?

And no, I think he's just a good dude who steered a sinking ship away from an iceberg while patching up all the leaks.

border

Who is calling him a genius? Why are they calling him a genius?

The OP doesn’t even try to justify that level of praise. There’s just the very Trump-esque line of “Some people are calling him a genius”.....

Cess007

Oh man, Neogaf makes the best 糸

According to Google translation that means 'threads' but I doubt it lol

Burbeting

Banned
Is OP a "baka"?

---

I think Tabata did a pretty commendable job with XV. The game wasn't as good as it should have been (mostly due to how unfinished the last third was), but judging by the development being... very difficult to say the least (having to develop the engine alongside it, enormous expectations Versus had set the project, strict-ish deadlines), the end result was fairly good. Certainly better than 13, I'm surprised there are multiple Toriyama-defenders here.

I've played through all 4 games that he's directed. I hated the shit out of Type-0, thought The 3rd Birthday was a badly handled mess, and thought Crisis Core was terrible outside its stellar production values. Now, after XV, I am certain that he is not a good director whatsoever. At least in my opinion.

If you're reasonable in your criticism and discourse, then my post isn't really aimed at you.

BiggNife

In all seriousness I think the vitriol in this thread towards Tabata is ridiculously overblown. He took over a train wreck of a project and managed to shape it into the kind of success SE desperately needed. XV is undeniably flawed but the fact that it's even out is kind of a miracle in itself, and regardless of how you feel about the game, it sold incredibly well and got FF back into the mainstream after XIII hurt the series' relevance (at least to the non MMO crowd) . And plus, he's continuing to add content to the game based on community feedback.

Do I think he's a genius? No. I think he's fine, and he genuinely cares about the work he does. You can do far worse.

And I say this as someone who hated Type-0 and thinks 3rd Birthday was a disaster, so I'm not exactly coming at this being biased towards him.

I wouldn’t say FFXV feels like an ‘inspired’ game driven by clearsighted, driven authorship, but it’s clear that it took a lot of work and discipline and Tabata seems to have that in spades.

FiveSide

Banned
3rd Birthday is to PE what Metroid Other M is to the Metroid series.

You give 3rd Birthday too much credit :p
:'(

I think Tabata is the opposite of a genius, to be honest - at least in a sense. He strikes me as being a consistent and serviceable workhorse. A project manager rather than an auteur.

I don't mean any of that in a pejorative way. I think he is good at what he does, which is setting goals and getting a team to execute on those goals.

But genius (or "tensai" in this case
lol
), is a word I'd reserve for someone like Shigesato Itoi, Fumito Ueda. Or Kazuma Kaneko.

GenericUser

I liked ff15, but I also think it has a truckload of flaws. He's not a genius, but a competent director. Way better then Nomura at least. Tabata at least knows how to release a game.

sakuori

That thread title change. I thought this is a new thread lolololol

On topic: Nope. 'Saving' FFXV from development hell isn't genius-title worthy.

Top Bottom