• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me or was 2004 to 2009 some of the dullest years in gaming.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Personally, it was the 2001 - 2006 period that I wasn't really too hot on. Nintendo's first party output was lacking, and games like GTA became incredibly prominent. By that, I don't mean I had an issue with open-world games, but rather, GTA helped usher in a trend of more gritty, real world based gaming straying away from the imaginative, fantasy type games that were prominent up until that point.

Thankfully, while games like that are still being made, the GTA style has been far less rampant since the PS3/360/Wii days.

RedSwirl

Alright I'm back.

For a while I've had the feeling that 1998-2005 is the best era of 3D games, both on console and on PC. Roughly this corresponds to the PS2 era, but I include the last bit of the N64/PS1 era too.

1998 is still arguably the most influential year in terms of what games we're playing today. We got stuff like Ocarina of Time, Thief 1, Metal Gear Solid, StarCraft 1, Half-Life, and so-on. A lot of games that started franchises or game design trends we see to this day. It was the point where game designers were finally starting to figure out 3D games. It was the beginning of the era of refinement we saw during the PS2 years and the corresponding years on PC.

Another reason I think 1998-2005 was the best is that's when technology and budgets were in just the right place in relation to one another. Studios that were big enough to make big games but not so big they had to sell millions of copies, were able to make games with budgets big enough for respectable production values but not so big they had to sell multiple millions of copies, and still have top-of-the-line graphics. It's hard as hell to make a game today that feels as deep and engrossing as Deus Ex 1 or System Shock 2 with fully modern graphics. The budget would take it beyond the addressable audience for that kind of game versus another F2P shooter.

Around 2005 is when tech and budgets started to become too much. Hollywood-ization hadn't totally set in, but devs spent the next couple years figuring out new tech. We started to see the benefits of devs coming around to that new tech in 2007 with STALKER, Crysis, Call of Duty 4, or Bioshock. By that point though, the whole industry went after COD4 despite the potential leaps forward Crysis and STALKER presented. Budgets and tech forced publishers to follow the leader after that which killed developers and squeezed down genres on consoles that weren't action game and sports games. The greater economy probably had a lot to do with it as well. This is the real period I think was somewhat dull. There were bright spots like Far Cry 2, Uncharted 2, and Demon's Souls, but compared to 1998-2005, the retail console sector in the post--2007 period was filled with a lot of formulaic blockbuster stuff.

2011 was a high point though, with games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, the first Dark Souls and Skyrim. Other games started to signify a change in the tech too like The Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, and Crysis 2. In the years immediately following that though to me it felt like the AAA industry was having a hard time figuring out what it wanted to do. Very few big retail games in 2012, 2013, and 2014 interested me, maybe Dishonored 1 and Wolfenstein: The New Order, but I think I spent more time on indie games in that period. That's when indies started to really evolve beyond 2D platformers, especially on PC.

Since 2015 things have turned a corner in my opinion. A lot of it is probably the global economy getting better, but I feel like big developers have finally figured out where they want to go creatively. They've learned lessons from previous years and the influence of Call of Duty has worn off. The Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V, and Zelda Breath of the Wild are all hallmarks of sandbox games. I'm seeing so many other big-budget games that are good-to-great like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, DOOM, or Horizon: Zero Dawn. Online service-oriented games have found a really good groove with Overwatch, Rainbow Six: Siege, Destiny, or Final Fantasy XIV. Japanese developers have finally figured things out, getting their production pipeline in order for modern tech and borrowing just the things from western developers we'd been wishing for them to for the last 10 years without screwing things up. They've done this with MGSV, BOTW, and Resident Evil 7. This year has seen an impressive selection of Japanese games that remind us of the PS2 era like Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, Nioh, or Nier Automata. Even more is on the way like Ace Combat 7, Tekken 7, Ni No Kuni II, and Marvel Infinite.

We're not all the way back to where we were in the 1998-2005 period but it's feeling like developers and publishers have gotten back a lot of what they had during that period.

labx

Banned
This is like the reason why OP is not wrong

hahahaha you are loco man. Way to go you rebel. Please explain me.

f3d7fe4b7934ce9677ef949cc2dc76d3.gif

notaskwid

I agree with the general sentiment, though I'd rather move it to 2006~2011 maybe.
But I disagree with the vgcatz use.
Basically after the Ps2 started to die and 360 dominating, for me.
Though there was some good stuff both for nds and psp.

I loved that whole period. It was pretty awesome going into the HD era and an era where dual stick controls started to "normalize" and games felt better to control.

I would name games but nah... we all know the damn games. Shit was amazing.

mdzapeer

Thread backfire? Thread backfire.

Why is it a backfire? It shows and different perspectives are.

Assassin's Creed 1 for example, compare its gameplay systems to its sequel? GTA IV to GTA V, Doom 1+2 to Doom 3 and then again to Doom 2016.

Again Far Cry 2 compared to 3 or even 1 (even though it came out 2004). You cant exactly have a time period set, there are outliers always. But the general trend pattern can be seen and this how I remember it.

And this is only comparing sequels, if compare within a genre a similar pattern can be seen.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This thread is naturally going to get resistance. You're describing a period of gaming in which people came of age. For many younger people, playing Modern Warfare or Mass Effect on Xbox 360 is their "classic arcade", "16-bit console war" or "PS2 era", or whatever your personal gaming golden age is. And I'm not saying it's all youthful nostalgia. If your vision of gaming is deathmatching FPS games with your buddies through party chat online, I'm sure it was a dream.

But I don't think the OP is that wrong in that for a lot of us older/colorful-fantasy-game-loving/Japanese-game-raised types, it was broadly a down period in gaming history. And with the recent resurgence of these types of games on PS4, the late 2000s feels like the odd era out for our tastes.

And also..... no one on earth likes fucking VGcats.

petran79

Banned
This thread is naturally going to get resistance. You're describing a period of gaming in which people came of age. For many younger people, playing Modern Warfare or Mass Effect on Xbox 360 is their "classic arcade", "16-bit console war" or "PS2 era", or whatever your personal gaming golden age is. And I'm not saying it's all youthful nostalgia. If your vision of gaming is deathmatching FPS games with your buddies through party chat online, I'm sure it was a dream.

But I don't think the OP is that wrong in that for a lot of us older/colorful-fantasy-game-loving/Japanese-game-raised types, it was broadly a down period in gaming history. And with the recent resurgence of these types of games on PS4, the late 2000s feels like the odd era out for our tastes.

And also..... no one on earth likes fucking VGcats.

But those were rated games. In our era rated games were only on computers. Consoles were very protective. Now they dont care at all. One reason GTA and all those games became popular by targetting kids.

No.
I was 14-19 during the period you mentioned and remember playing a lot of incredible games from God of War 2, San Andreas, Uncharted, Modern Warfare, Portal, Dead Space, MGS 4 etc.

Tons of great games during that era, even if the industry as a whole went more for realism and dirty environments according to your comic.

Lanrutcon

I think it would be incredibly hard (impossible?) to find a single year in the 2000s that hasn't delivered at least a handful of stellar titles.

I took a break from gaming from 2006-2012... so I did the right thing?

Honestly, yes. It's not like there aren't any games that came out during that time that i'm fond of, but they're very few and far between.

I think it would be incredibly hard (impossible?) to find a single year in the 2000s that hasn't delivered at least a handful of stellar titles.

Not at all. The majority of those years haven't done that.

Jesus Christ OP

There has only been one year truly shit, and that was 2014

Mario Kart 8 and Bayonetta 2 came out in 2014

For me it was 2008 to 2014 that wasn't all that. Several years where I'd only have a few games per year that I'd care about. Not really being into shooty games or competitive games is a big contributor to this though. It makes me appreciate 2017 all the more.

mdzapeer

Alright I'm back.

For a while I've had the feeling that 1998-2005 is the best era of 3D games, both on console and on PC. Roughly this corresponds to the PS2 era, but I include the last bit of the N64/PS1 era too.

1998 is still arguably the most influential year in terms of what games we're playing today. We got stuff like Ocarina of Time, Thief 1, Metal Gear Solid, StarCraft 1, Half-Life, and so-on. A lot of games that started franchises or game design trends we see to this day. It was the point where game designers were finally starting to figure out 3D games. It was the beginning of the era of refinement we saw during the PS2 years and the corresponding years on PC.

Another reason I think 1998-2005 was the best is that's when technology and budgets were in just the right place in relation to one another. Studios that were big enough to make big games but not so big they had to sell millions of copies, were able to make games with budgets big enough for respectable production values but not so big they had to sell multiple millions of copies, and still have top-of-the-line graphics. It's hard as hell to make a game today that feels as deep and engrossing as Deus Ex 1 or System Shock 2 with fully modern graphics. The budget would take it beyond the addressable audience for that kind of game versus another F2P shooter.

Around 2005 is when tech and budgets started to become too much. Hollywood-ization hadn't totally set in, but devs spent the next couple years figuring out new tech. We started to see the benefits of devs coming around to that new tech in 2007 with STALKER, Crysis, Call of Duty 4, or Bioshock. By that point though, the whole industry went after COD4 despite the potential leaps forward Crysis and STALKER presented. Budgets and tech forced publishers to follow the leader after that which killed developers and squeezed down genres on consoles that weren't action game and sports games. The greater economy probably had a lot to do with it as well. This is the real period I think was somewhat dull. There were bright spots like Far Cry 2, Uncharted 2, and Demon's Souls, but compared to 1998-2005, the retail console sector in the post--2007 period was filled with a lot of formulaic blockbuster stuff.

2011 was a high point though, with games like Deus Ex Human Revolution, the first Dark Souls and Skyrim. Other games started to signify a change in the tech too like The Witcher 2, Battlefield 3, and Crysis 2. In the years immediately following that though to me it felt like the AAA industry was having a hard time figuring out what it wanted to do. Very few big retail games in 2012, 2013, and 2014 interested me, maybe Dishonored 1 and Wolfenstein: The New Order, but I think I spent more time on indie games in that period. That's when indies started to really evolve beyond 2D platformers, especially on PC.

Since 2015 things have turned a corner in my opinion. A lot of it is probably the global economy getting better, but I feel like big developers have finally figured out where they want to go creatively. They've learned lessons from previous years and the influence of Call of Duty has worn off. The Witcher 3, Metal Gear Solid V, and Zelda Breath of the Wild are all hallmarks of sandbox games. I'm seeing so many other big-budget games that are good-to-great like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Dishonored 2, DOOM, or Horizon: Zero Dawn. Online service-oriented games have found a really good groove with Overwatch, Rainbow Six: Siege, Destiny, or Final Fantasy XIV. Japanese developers have finally figured things out, getting their production pipeline in order for modern tech and borrowing just the things from western developers we'd been wishing for them to for the last 10 years without screwing things up. They've done this with MGSV, BOTW, and Resident Evil 7. This year has seen an impressive selection of Japanese games that remind us of the PS2 era like Yakuza 0, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, Nioh, or Nier Automata. Even more is on the way like Ace Combat 7, Tekken 7, Ni No Kuni II, and Marvel Infinite.

We're not all the way back to where we were in the 1998-2005 period but it's feeling like developers and publishers have gotten back a lot of what they had during that period.

This is a very well put together and gets across what I intended. Are you a writer?

Monocle

Opinions can't be wrong, this is pretty close though.
Yeah they can, if the opinions include verifiable claims about the world.

"I enjoyed this!" can't be wrong, but saying "the games from all these different years were so dull!" can be challenged by appealing to the consensus of other players, and maybe even reviewers. Or by establishing what makes a game "dull" and finding counterexamples from the time period we're talking about.

Arulan

I wouldn't include 2004, but the large part of the last-generation of consoles was pretty terrible for several reasons.

It marked a period where mid-sized publishers and developers were going out of business. The AAA space consolidated into a few large companies, where game budgets increased and risks became all too few and far between.

In part due to the aforementioned, but also due to changes in Japan itself, what once was an industry (on consoles) heavily dominated by the country, lost much of its influence from it.

Many PC developers were forced to go out of business, were bought out to awful fates, or started to adapt by targeting consoles as well, which in large part meant a significant decline in game quality to appeal to the masses.

Thankfully, through the ease of publishing (on Steam for example) and the advent of crowd-funding, among other reasons, much has changed in the past few years.

It was for me. That period was when I fell out of love for gaming.

Main reason for me being that this was when fighting games laid dormant.
The last arcade fighter I was really into was King of Fighters XI in 04/05 and then the arcade scene here completely died, and fighting games were basically on life support until SFIV.

My PS2 collected dust during this period, all the character action games popular at the time just weren't for me. I played the GTA games a llittle and made it half way through FFXII but that was about.
Wasn't til I got a PS3 and SFIV in early 09 that gaming made a comeback in my life.

Harmen

I disagree with the op. It has the endgame of the ps2/gc/xb-era, which was the best of that gen by far (2004-2006). And it has the Wii in it's prime in terms of family fun (2006-2009) and also features the start of when developers really got hold of HD-gaming on the 360 and PS3 (2008-2009). Furthermore, it was also the period of both the DS and PSP, which had fantastic line-ups. And in regards of PC gaming, it also covers the period where we still got frequent bleeding edge tech games (doom, hl, fc, crysis) and probably the height of MMO gaming (WoW in particular).

Some examples that rank high to very high in my GOAT's:
-Resident Evil 4 (2005)
-Yakuza 2 (2006)
-Shadow of the Colossus (2005)
-Okami (2006)
-Metal Gear Solid 3 (2004)
-Uncharted 2 (2009)
-The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (2006)
-Super Mario Galaxy (2007)
-Half-Life 2 (2004)
-Fallout 3 (2008)
-Psychonauts (2005)
-God of War II (2007)
-Bioshock (2007)
-Ratchet and Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal (2004).
Etc.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd say 2007-2009 was the near non-existence of Japanese console games IMO.

2010 kinda improved but slightly, it's 2016 where it started going full force.

Ok, list em. I'm curious and pretty sure that you'll find plenty willing to dispute your claim. This would be the thread for that discussion.

It would be easier to name the years tthat did have at least one game that I'd consider great / classic so i'll do that:

2002: Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, Wind Waker, Super Monkey Ball 2, Silent Hill 2

2004: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Rome: Total War, Half-Life 2, Metroid: Zero Mission

2007: Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario

Now just to be clear there are other games both during the years listed and other years of that period that I enjoyed playing through once and then never again, but I wouldn't call them stellar.

Just you, OP, probably ignoring/forgetting a lot of great games.

No I don't think I'm not forgetting anything.

TheContact

Maybe for you it was OP but 2004-2009 was world of Warcrafts prime years. To me, it was one of the best years of gaming

Famassu

No I don't think I'm not forgetting anything.
Looking at the games you list, you probably are. 2004 alone had

Half-life 2
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Burnout 3
Maximo 2
Ninja Gaiden
Final Fantasy XI
Rallisport Challenge 2
Hitman Contracts
The Chronicles of Riddick
Thief: Deadly SHadows
Tales of Symphonia
Pikmin 2
Gradius V
Warhammer 40 000: Dawn of War
Katamari Damacy
Rome: Total War
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Syberia II
Paper Mario: A Thousand Year Door
Ace Combat 5
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Boktai 2
Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal
Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Metal Gear Solid 3
Baten Kaitos
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic 2
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Viewtiful Joe 2
+ many others

Quite a few of those are considered some of the best in their genre and others showcase some pretty neat, imaginative new ideas (i.e. Katamari Damacy) so yeah, you are forgetting or ignoring games.

Looking at the games you list, you probably are. 2004 alone had

Half-life 2
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Burnout 3
Maximo 2
Ninja Gaiden
Final Fantasy XI
Rallisport Challenge 2
Hitman Contracts
The Chronicles of Riddick
Thief: Deadly SHadows
Tales of Symphonia
Pikmin 2
Gradius V
Warhammer 40 000: Dawn of War
Katamari Damacy
Rome: Total War
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Syberia II
Paper Mario: A Thousand Year Door
Ace Combat 5
Kirby & The Amazing Mirror
Boktai 2
Ratchet & Clank 3: Up Your Arsenal
Halo 2
Metroid Prime 2: Echoes
Vampire The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Metal Gear Solid 3
Baten Kaitos
Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic 2
Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories
Viewtiful Joe 2
+ many others

so yeah, you are forgetting or ignoring games.

No I didn't care for most of those

Not at all. The majority of those years haven't done that.

Yawn. Only naming timeless classics here. No Google allowed, only ones I can name off the top of my head.

2004: San Andreas, World of Warcraft, Metal Gear Solid 3, Unreal Tournament '04, Battlefield 'Nam, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime 2, Ace Attorney 3.

2005: Resident Evil 4 (aka the greatest single player game ever), FEAR, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, CoD 2, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Half Life 2.

2006: Dead Rising, Twilight Princess, Rainbow Six Vegas, Half Life 2: Episode 1, Okami.

2007: Team Fortress 2 (aka the greatest multiplayer shooter). CoD 4, The Darkness, Crysis, STALKER, Half Life 2 Ep. 2, Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Metroid Prime 3, Quake Wars, Contra 4, Portal, Advance Wars DoR.

2008: CoD 5, Dead Space, Smash Bros. Brawl, Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, Mirror's Edge, Saints Row 2, Crysis Warhead.

2009: Chinatown Wars, Minecraft, Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Demon's Souls.

If you dislike most or all of these, you're probably a terrible person.

Top Bottom