• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it just me or was 2004 to 2009 some of the dullest years in gaming.

Haganeren

Xbox 360 Launch? BioShock? Lost Planet? Gears of War? Dead Rising? Team Fortress 2? Super Mario Galaxy? Portal, Peggle, Mass Effect, ROCK BAND...

Heard of any of those?

Ouaaah, it's true then, that's really my hated period of gaming. I remember i was really disappointed at the time... I think i only cared about Bioshock and Mario Galaxy... But even then i preffered the game before (System Shock, and Mario 64)

It's cool that now i'm so happy with gaming, i was quite afraid of becoming a grumpy player saying that "gaming was better before" everytime... But it really changed with the indie explosion, Wii U and now PS4 finally have game i care about.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
"Dullest 6 year period" does not mean "not a single great game was released in that entire period." Like any 6 year span from NES onward will have many great games.

I just knew GAF would be like "hurrrrr here's 3 great games that came out between 2004 and 2009 so YOU ARE WRONG!" But you could make the same kind of argument for any timespan of that length.

Maybe you should tell us what you thought the dullest period of gaming was instead of just listing games and dog-piling on OP.

Bgamer90

Banned
The only way I could see someone not enjoying that period of gaming is if they only care for games on Nintendo systems. Far too many good games on PS2 and Xbox 360 during this period.

Yawn. Only naming timeless classics here.

2004: San Andreas, World of Warcraft, Metal Gear Solid 3, Unreal Tournament '04, Battlefield 'Nam, Pikmin 2, Metroid Prime 2, Ace Attorney 3.

2005: Resident Evil 4 (aka the greatest single player game ever), FEAR, Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, CoD 2, Condemned: Criminal Origins, Half Life 2.

2006: Dead Rising, Twilight Princess, Rainbow Six Vegas, Half Life 2: Episode 1, Okami.

2007: Team Fortress 2 (aka the greatest multiplayer shooter). CoD 4, The Darkness, Crysis, STALKER, Half Life 2 Ep. 2, Halo 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Mass Effect, Metroid Prime 3, Quake Wars, Contra 4, Portal, Advance Wars DoR.

2008: CoD 5, Dead Space, Smash Bros. Brawl, Far Cry 2, Left 4 Dead, Mirror's Edge, Saints Row 2, Crysis Warhead.

2009: Chinatown Wars, Minecraft, Arkham Asylum, Assassin's Creed 2, Left 4 Dead 2, Demon's Souls.

If you dislike most or all of these, you're probably a terrible person.

CoD 5, the timeless classic.

You don't like World at War?

Like I said, terrible person.

oprah.gif

Famassu

No I didn't care for most of those and some of the ones that I didn't list were just alright.
Then just admit it that it's YOU who is the "problem" and not the games. Many, perhaps even most of the games I listed are widely considered to be some of the best games in their genres.

And again, that's just one year, the first year in what you call a boring phase in gaming. The years afterwards weren't (much) worse and some were possibly even better.

"Dullest 6 year period" does not mean "not a single great game was released in that entire period." Like any 6 year span from NES onward will have many great games.

I just knew GAF would be like "hurrrrr here's 3 great games that came out between 2004 and 2009 so YOU ARE WRONG!" But you could make the same kind of argument for any timespan of that length.

Maybe you should tell us what you thought the dullest period of gaming was instead of just listing games and dog-piling on OP.

I'd say 2010-2014.

Then just admit it that it's YOU who is the "problem" and not the games. Many, perhaps even most of the games I listed are widely considered to be some of the best games in their genres.

And again, that's just one year, the first year in what you call a boring phase in gaming. The years afterwards weren't (much) worse and some were possibly even better.

I've never pretended otherwise so I'm not sure what you're going on about. Of course it's just my subjective opinion.

Lanrutcon

It would be easier to name the years tthat did have at least one game that I'd consider great / classic so i'll do that:

2002: Metroid Prime, Metroid Fusion, Wind Waker, Super Monkey Ball 2, Silent Hill 2

2004: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door, Rome: Total War, Half-Life 2, Metroid: Zero Mission

2007: Mario Galaxy, Super Paper Mario

2003: Max Payne 2, Freelancer, Frozen Throne, Viewtiful Joe, Jedi Academy, Beyond Good & Evil ...?

2005: Psychonauts, you heartless son of a bitch? Resident Evil 4?

Come on now.

Edit: I am not actually salty. It's a subjective discussion.

Famassu

I don't think there is such a thing as a dull period in gaming. Some years have been weaker than others but pretty much any & every year is still filled with enjoyable games to play to the point that I haven't had nearly enough time and/or money to play all of them, unless you are a person with a very limited taste in games, only focused on a single platform and/or only play games from a genre or few.

patapuf

Unless someone only likes a handfull of genres/has limited platform availabilty there was no such thing as a "dull" 6 year period since at least the SNES, as you point out.

I don't see the point of trying to define one.

I've never experienced a lack of good games being out for my whole life.

2003: Max Payne 2, Freelancer, Frozen Throne, Viewtiful Joe, Jedi Academy, Beyond Good & Evil ...?

2005: Psychonauts, you heartless son of a bitch? Resident Evil 4?

Come on now.

Edit: I am not actually salty. It's a subjective discussion.

No? Sorry :p

I liked Viewtiful Joe but never saw it as more than 'alright'. I'd like to see a new game in the series but I have no interest in replaying the old ones.

I'm not trying to be an ass or anything. the 00's are just not a period in gaming that I'm terribly excited about in general.

Honestly, if you can't find a dozen or more games worth playing each year, I'm not sure I trust your taste in games. There's so much out there, and as long as I've been playing games (since probably 1990?), I can't think of a time where I've thought "Man, videogames kinda suck this year."

Sure, that brief period in 2014 where broken games were dropping left and right was something else, but there were still plenty of worthwhile titles that year.

Sillverrr

I wouldn't know ;/ The beginning of this time period marks the occasion of one of my darkest periods of depression, and the launch of World of Warcraft. You can guess the rest. I forged so many gaming memories through WoW though that it almost invalidates your conviction on its own.

When I came up for air, at least I found a few classic games waiting for me, e.g. God of War series (PlayStation), and Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube). The game had to be REALLY special to tear me away from WoW though, lol.

patapuf

Honestly, if you can't find a dozen or more games worth playing each year, I'm not sure I trust your taste in games. There's so much out there, and as long as I've been playing games (since probably 1990?), I can't think of a time where I've thought "Man, videogames kinda suck this year."

Sure, that brief period in 2014 where broken games were dropping left and right was something else, but there were still plenty of worthwhile titles that year.

Yeah, even during the supposedly "bad" 2014 we had a CRPG renaissance, some of the best WiiU titles and an in general exellent year for some smaller scale/experminetal games.

Yeah, even during the supposedly "bad" 2014 we had a CRPG renaissance, some of the best WiiU titles and an in general exellent year for some smaller scale/experminetal games.

2014 is actually one of my favourite gaming years in recent memories due to all of those things. Nintendo released some of their best games up to this point that year and some smaller studios were doing amazig work as well.

I just remembered Shovel Knight was a 2014 game, for example.

Famassu

I've never pretended otherwise so I'm not sure what you're going on about. Of course it's just my subjective opinion.
In my first post I said it's just you forgetting or ignoring a lot of games and you said you aren't and then you list a few Nintendo games as if Nintendo is the only one capable of making worthwhile games. You clearly aren't giving games their due. Games like Vampire the Masquerade, Burnout 3, GTA:SA, Pikmin 2, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 2 and such are widely considered to be some of the best games in their respective genres/already highly esteemed franchises, most of which still hold up to this day. You can't create a thread like this and then handwave those games away, they should make you go "huh, maybe I was wrong/maybe it is just me"

Cartho

Some insanely good games in that period in my opinion. Huge franchises were born and WoW was glorious, even if I did become seriously addicted.

mdzapeer

In my first post I said it's just you forgetting or ignoring a lot of games and you said you aren't and then you list a few Nintendo games as if Nintendo is the only one capable of making worthwhile games. You clearly aren't giving games their due. Games like Vampire the Masquerade, Burnout 3, GTA:SA, Pikmin 2, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 2 and such are widely considered to be some of the best games in their respective genres/already highly esteemed franchises. You can't create a thread like this and then handwave those games away, they should make you go "huh, maybe I was wrong"

Um he didnt create the thread...

Vampire the Masquerade, Burnout 3, GTA:SA, Pikmin 2, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 2 also didnt they come out like 2004 and as I said before in a earlier post, its not an exact time period down to the hour starting 2004 and ending 2009, there will be releases which bleed in from either side of these years.

In my first post I said it's just you forgetting or ignoring a lot of games and you said you aren't and then you list a few Nintendo games as if Nintendo is the only one capable of making worthwhile games. You clearly aren't giving games their due. Games like Vampire the Masquerade, Burnout 3, GTA:SA, Pikmin 2, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 2 and such are widely considered to be some of the best games in their respective genres/already highly esteemed franchises. You can't create a thread like this and then handwave those games away, they should make you go "huh, maybe I was wrong"

I'm not sure if you're implying I made this thread or If I'm not reading it correctly, but I assure you I did not.

Rome: Total War, Silent Hill 2 and Half-Life 2 are not Nintendo games. Nintendo is however by far my favourite dev.

I don't care if the games you mentioned are "widely considered to be some of the best games in their respective genres/already highly esteemed franchises", I personally didn't care for them all too much.
Actually, I activly disliked Halo 2, thought MGS3 didn't live up to MGS and MGS 2 and while I enjoy Pikmin 2 I consider it to be the least fun game in its series.

I can handwave those games away.

Rektash

I agree those years were pretty disappointing in the grand scheme of things. It feels like overall the gaming market was very one dimensional back then. Japan was mostly dead in the west, especially with the advent of gen 7. The indie market wasn't quite there yet in terms of diversity. All we got was mostly bland AAA shootbang titles and focus tested snoozefests.

Luckly gaming got a lot more diverse in the last couple years. Not sure if I'd still play games if that didn't happen.

mdzapeer

Some insanely good games in that period in my opinion. Huge franchises were born and WoW was glorious, even if I did become seriously addicted.

Was it? I don't know I was completely enthralled in the best game ever made, World of motherfucking Warcraft.

Wow is a great game where I spent lots of hours playing it. It was also born out of design attitudes from the late 90s and early 2000s and not the trends of the mid 2000s.

It can be argued that wow's success was due to other games not matching up. I am sure I have seen articles/vids with the same theory and why there wont be another wow.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This thread is naturally going to get resistance. You're describing a period of gaming in which people came of age. For many younger people, playing Modern Warfare or Mass Effect on Xbox 360 is their "classic arcade", "16-bit console war" or "PS2 era", or whatever your personal gaming golden age is. And I'm not saying it's all youthful nostalgia. If your vision of gaming is deathmatching FPS games with your buddies through party chat online, I'm sure it was a dream.

But I don't think the OP is that wrong in that for a lot of us older/colorful-fantasy-game-loving/Japanese-game-raised types, it was broadly a down period in gaming history. And with the recent resurgence of these types of games on PS4, the late 2000s feels like the odd era out for our tastes.

And also..... no one on earth likes fucking VGcats.

You know what happened to me, and I'm willing to bet it happened to many like me...

My tastes changed.

My first RPG was Phantasy Star. That begin my love for RPG. Then came Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc. etc.

Over the years I just started liking RPG less n less. Platformers too.

I actually didnt start liking FPS until late last gen. Racing games probably middle of last gen.

I think ppl tastes just changed. Speaking about the older gamers. Phantasy Star came out when I was a kid.

120v

i would never call any post-NES era "dull", as there's never been a dearth of classics that went unenjoyed in each successive era.

but to play devil's advocate the 00s -- or more specifically the start of gen 7, was pre-PC rennaisance, which means you were pretty much forced to pay ~$500 for a top of the line console if you wanted to stay on top of things non-nintendo. the lack of options compared to today made gaming a lot more restrictive

CHC

I certainly agree that it was a dark age.

One facet of it is the lack of diversity in terms of game types - everything was undergoing a homogenizing process. Even well regarded games like Bioshock and Mass Effect were moving towards this semi-RPG-ish action shooter thing that we see everywhere in AAA games today, and on the other side of it, shooters were becoming more laden with rewards and XP (Call of Duty). So I remember that being one of the more depressing things, thinking that in 10 years all games would just be exactly the same as each other.

And yeah, like others said, indies weren't really "off the ground" yet, and Japan was pretty much dormant, at best, during this time until Demon's Souls sort of re-ignited interested in more niche games from over there.

Lastly, I think it was sort of just an awkward transitional period to current gen and beyond, from which many titles aged really poorly. I mean, sure Bioshock and Gears of War were pretty hype when they came out, but they already look and feel really old to a modern player. Whereas games like System Shock 2 or whatever, from further back, aren't caught in that weird middle ground of age.

Again, it's 6 years of games, so there will always be counter examples, but I feel like overall it was a pretty dull, homogenized, and cynical time in gaming.

Lanrutcon

I'm not sure if you're implying I made this thread or If I'm not reading it correctly, but I assure you I did not.

Rome: Total War, Silent Hill 2 and Half-Life 2 are not Nintendo games. Nintendo is however by far my favourite dev.

I don't care if the games you mentioned are "widely considered to be some of the best games in their respective genres/already highly esteemed franchises", I personally didn't care for them all too much.
Actually, I activly disliked Halo 2, thought MGS3 didn't live up to MGS and MGS 2 and while I enjoy Pikmin 2 I consider it to be the least fun game in its series.

MGS3 is widely considered the pinnacle of the series. Taste can't be wrong, but yours is pretty unique in regards to the franchise.

Why are people so hard on 2014? It had...oh. Uh. Right.

Famassu

Um he didnt create the thread...

Vampire the Masquerade, Burnout 3, GTA:SA, Pikmin 2, Ninja Gaiden, Metal Gear Solid 3, Halo 2 also didnt they come out like 2004 and as I said before in a earlier post, its not an exact time period down to the hour starting 2004 and ending 2009, there will be releases which bleed in from either side of these years.
oh, ok, well, I didn't look too closely who created the OP, wrote my post directed at the OP and he/she answered to my post as if he/she was the one who created the thread. And let's not start moving goal posts here. If you say 2004-2009 were weak years in gaming, you can't then ignore all the great games in 2004 for that argument to still hold water.

But ok, if your argument is that games bled into 2004 from some earlier glory age, let's look at 2005:

Resident Evil 4
Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath
Gran Turismo 4
Tekken 5
Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat
Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening
Phantom Dust
TimeSplitters: Future Perfect
God of War
Lumines
Metal Gear Ac!d
Wipeout Pure
Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
SWAT4
Jade Empire
Psychonauts
Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee
Forza Motorsport
Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
Kirby: Canvas Curse
Meteos
Killer7
Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Fahrenheit
We Love Katamari
Another Code: Two Memories
Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves
Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Mega Man Zero 4
Trauma Center: Under the Knife
Serious Sam
SSX: On Tour
FEAR
Jak X
Shadow of the Colossus
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Fatal Frame 3
Guitar Hero
Mario Kart DS
Dragon Quest VIII
Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
Ouendan

Or are games from 2005 still some bleedage from an earlier era? Ok, 2006?

New Super Mario Bros.
Monster Hunter Freedom
Company of Heroes
Okami
Baten Kaitos Origins
Half-life 2: Episode 1
Elite Beat Agents
Bully
Xenosaga II: Also Spracht Zarathustra
LocoRoco
Disgaea 2
Titan Quest
Steambot Chronicles
Lord of the Rings: Battle For Middle Earth II
Valkyrie Profile II: Silmeria
Pokemon Diamond
God Hand
Killzone Liberation
Tales of the Abyss
Chromehounds
Flatout 2
Shadow Hearts: From the New World
Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams
Final Fantasy XII
Suikoden V
Metal Gear Ac!d 2
Kingdom Hearts II
Ace Combat Zero
Lumines II
Every Extend Extra
Guitar Hero II
Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Rainbow Six: Vegas
Outrun 2006
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
(Mother 3)

Still bleeding?

Famassu

You answered to my post directed at the OP as if it was you who I was writing to so I assumed you were the OP. Sorry.

To answer your post, it can be your subjective opinion that MGS3 is worthless shit and nothing in 2004-2009 rises to the level of glorious Nintendo games of the past, but you HAVE to acknowledge that your opinion is pretty far from the actual reality when trying to look at this subject from any kind of objective POV (so looking at the quantity of games that have garnered critical praise & much love from non-critics as well). There were a lot of games that got high praise, sold well and were liked by a majority.

Murkas

I'd say those 6 years are better than the 6 years before it (1998-2003.)

Those years in addition to the games people have already mentioned had PSP Monster Hunter mania and Demon's Souls, the most important games for me (along with RE4 and MGS3).

patapuf

One facet of it is the lack of diversity in terms of game types - everything was undergoing a homogenizing process. Even well regarded games like Bioshock and Mass Effect were moving towards this semi-RPG-ish action shooter thing that we see everywhere in AAA games today, and on the other side of it, shooters were becoming more laden with rewards and XP (Call of Duty). So I remember that being one of the more depressing things, thinking that in 10 years all games would just be exactly the same as each other.

And yeah, like others said, indies weren't really "off the ground" yet, and Japan was pretty much dormant, at best, during this time until Demon's Souls sort of re-ignited interested in more niche games from over there.

Lastly, I think it was sort of just an awkward transitional period to current gen and beyond, from which many titles aged really poorly. I mean, sure Bioshock and Gears of War were pretty hype when they came out, but they already look and feel really old to a modern player. Whereas games like System Shock 2 or whatever, from further back, aren't caught in that weird middle ground of age.

Again, it's 6 years of games, so there will always be counter examples, but I feel like overall it was a pretty dull, homogenized, and cynical time in gaming.

Lots of PC classics released during that time. (crysis, Fear, stalker, valves stuff wasn't exclusive bust still) only games ever released during that period. You had the rise of MMO's and Wow in particular ect.

On console too, for the first time they were decent machines for multiplayer and for that alone a ton of exiting stuff happened. Nevermind the firework of good new IP's at the start of the PS360 generation, it was anything but an awkward time for games imo.

I mean , i get it, if all you liked was JRPG's (and even there... there were tons on handhelds) and 3D platformers things were kind of dire, RTS's and CRPG's suffered too. But there' so much other stuff that happened during that time i don't understand how anyone can see them as dull unless they restricted themselves on platforms/genres.

Famassu

One facet of it is the lack of diversity in terms of game types - everything was undergoing a homogenizing process..
There was? Maybe in the (western) AAA space, but if anything, there was a lot of innovation around then. Around 2004-2006, online was starting to blow up even on consoles with games like Halo, SOCOM, FFXI etc., the time period saw the launch of DS/PSP that pushed handheld gaming to new heights in a multitude of ways, DS' touchscreen brought us superawesome games like Ouendan, Kirby: Canvas Curse, TWEWY and we got some stuff like Guitar Hero on more traditional platforms while PS2's success still helped devs to create unique retail games like Katamari Damacy. Past those, the introduction of digital platforms on all major platforms around 2005-2007 paved way for new avenues for developers big & small to flex their creativity without the risk of needing huge budgets, although it took a few years for digital things to really blow up. Still, there were plenty of gems early on like Geometry Wars, Aquaria, Shatter, Super Stardust HD, Wipeout HD etc. that showed the possibilities & power of digital distribution. 2004-2009 were hardly stagnant years or years without anything different.

You answered to my post directed at the OP as if it was you who I was writing to so I assumed you were the OP. Sorry.

To answer your post, it can be your subjective opinion that MGS3 is worthless shit and nothing in 2004-2009 rises to the level of glorious Nintendo games of the past, but you HAVE to acknowledge that your opinion is pretty far from the actual reality when trying to look at this subject from any kind of objective POV (so looking at the quantity of games that have garnered critical praise & much love from non-critics as well). There were a lot of games that got high praise, sold well and were liked by a majority.

No I don't for the simple fact that there's no such thing as looking at any of this from a objective point of view. All of it is just opinions.

This time period includes

• KOTOR 2
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Demon Souls
  • Mass Effect
  • Fallout 3
  • Persona 4
  • Oblivion

RPGs alone make this a nonsense argument.

Airola

Two things I can't stand in modern games are combo based action and cover based shooting.

I think the modern iterations of both were established around 2002-2005.

The only cover based shooter that reminds a bit of modern cover based shooters I really enjoy is Cabal and that's from the 80's.
I remember playing Mass Effect 3 on Wii U and I just had to stop playing it because the combat scenes were so awful. I got zero enjoyment out of that.

And what comes to combos I kinda started to dislike them even in fighters. It became too fast and too complex for me. I liked when the combos were simple and relatively slow.

It was great when the combos basically were something that when you pressed a 3-4 button combination the character would do a special move without anything getting too flashy. Today when pulling off a combo the character is already kicking and punching and things flash and explode and all kinds of effects appear on screen in the middle of inputting the combo. It's awfully distracting and when the game makes you feel you have to use them to be able to play the game properly it just kills the mood.

I can still somewhat tolerate that but when the combo stuff is implemented in 3rd person action adventure games it really rubs me the wrong way. I can't stand playing them.

So that said, I think it's no wonder I have no interest in certain games from certain eras.

petran79

Banned
You know what happened to me, and I'm willing to bet it happened to many like me...

My tastes changed.

My first RPG was Phantasy Star. That begin my love for RPG. Then came Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, etc. etc.

Over the years I just started liking RPG less n less. Platformers too.

I actually didnt start liking FPS until late last gen. Racing games probably middle of last gen.

I think ppl tastes just changed. Speaking about the older gamers. Phantasy Star came out when I was a kid.

Also had to do that lots of genres moved to the sideline or switched to portables. JRPGs and 2d platformers especislly

2004 was amazing.

Also, we got both God of War 1 and 2 in that period of time.

Uncharted 2? Come on!

Persona 4?
Katamari Damacy?
Shadow of the Colossus?

giphy.gif

JCX

The whole PS360Wii Era was basically the gaming dark ages for me. I thought I was growing out of video games, but it turns out that the industry changed its focus away from what I enjoyed about games. I do agree that they are getting better though since this gen began.

Eusis

So yeah I would say those were definitely the dark ages for a JRPG fan.

LOL we have very different opinions on this.
Perhaps if the years were shifted some, and even then it's arguable that it was more a dark period for some of the old guard and bigger RPG series of the 90s as they faded into irrelevance. But 2004 onwards was still the end cap of the PS2 years and had stuff like Dragon Quest VIII, Xenosaga III (and II I suppose but that one sucked), Final Fantasy XII, Kingdom Hearts II, the entire English catalog of PS2 Megami Tensei games, and some smaller players like Gust and NIS rising to higher relevancy (this is definitely more of a dubious addition but it IS more solid support.) Then there's much of what the DS and PSP got, so it basically leaves it down to the next gen consoles of the time underwhelming, and even things were just about to move out of completely terrible with Demon's Souls hitting.

Timu

This time period includes

• KOTOR 2
  • Lost Odyssey
  • Dragon Age Origins
  • Demon Souls
  • Mass Effect
  • Fallout 3
  • Persona 4
  • Oblivion

RPGs alone make this a nonsense argument.
Yep, those are great RPGs that are more than enough to justify the greatness of those years.

Top Bottom