• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to go outside during a Solar Eclipse? [Up: OP survived!!!! :D]

13ruce

Banned
Are you a vampire?
It's safe just put on some sunglasses or something like that if you wanna stare at it for long.

Dominator

I'm kinda worried because I work outside, and I will be outside while this is occurring and I do not have the proper glasses. My curiosity is going to eat my alive.

mackattk

If you're a flat-earther, an eclipse is probably the most dangerous thing that you could witness for your psiche.

Yep. It's when the government comes out and change out the sun lightbulb. Why do you think they want absolutely no one looking at it???????

bosseye

Good lord. Someone post that image of the first post where the guys asks why can't any of you fuckers just be normal people. Classic GAF.

Yes it's safe OP. It's just the moon in front of the sun. Same sun, same moon, just in line for a change.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Haven't you played Breath of the Wild? Have you seen the Blood Moon? It's the same thing, man! Stay inside, be safe.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is the sun somehow *more* dangerous to look at during a total eclipse or is it just that enough rays pass through to damage your eyes, but it's not bright enough to hurt you, so you don't actually look away?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
No

HnTQN3Y.jpg

dopplr

Is the sun somehow *more* dangerous to look at during a total eclipse or is it just that enough rays pass through to damage your eyes, but it's not bright enough to hurt you, so you don't actually look away?

Your pupils dilate more due to the lack of visible light, making people think they can stare longer.

wwm0nkey

You will fuck up your eyes forever if you look at it

Foffy

Banned
What happens if you peek at the sun, or its light comes in your vision?

Is that risking eye damage, or is it only an issue as if you were to stare right into the sun normally?

J2 Cool

You can take a peek at the sun, right? I've done that day-to-day, why can't you? I'm not gonna stare but... Seeing the eclipse reflected on white paper inside a cereal box seems lame. I'm more interested in the shadows the eclipse will cast on the environment

danowat

Banned
What happens if you peek at the sun, or its light comes in your vision?

Is that risking eye damage, or is it only an issue as if you were to stare right into the sun normally?

When we had a full eclipse, I think it was in the 80's, I remember looking through a pinhole in a piece of card was a thing.

No idea if it's safe or not............

wwm0nkey

You can take a peek at the sun, right? I've done that day-to-day, why can't you? I'm not gonna stare but... Seeing the eclipse reflected on white paper inside a cereal box seems lame. I'm more interested in the shadows the eclipse will cast on the environment
Your eyes are dilated, the light it's stronger and you will fuck up your eyes if you look at it for just a second

darklin0

Banned

Can't wait for the news about the surge of people needing eyecare. lmao

Blizzard

Banned
When we had a full eclipse, I think it was in the 80's, I remember looking through a pinhole in a piece of card was a thing.

No idea if it's safe or not............
I have no idea how this has been around so long. You don't look THROUGH the pinhole. You use the pinhole to project the sun onto cardboard or whatever. If you look through the pinhole you're still looking at the sun.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My dad also supports Donald Trump. But also Justin Trudeau.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????

How can he support 2 politicians that are completely different though?

Also, did you really need 50 question marks? lol

danowat

Banned
I have no idea how this has been around so long. You don't look THROUGH the pinhole. You use the pinhole to project the sun onto cardboard or whatever. If you look through the pinhole you're still looking at the sun.

That's probably why I wear glasses now.

The reason why it's said precautions need to be made is because when you look at it during the complete eclipse it actually is safe, but your pupils get bigger. When the sun suddenly peaks through, this obviously puts you at a high risk of damage.

There's no crazy voodoo or anything going on.

Top Bottom