• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to go outside during a Solar Eclipse? [Up: OP survived!!!! :D]

kingkaiser

Well, a Solar Eclipse is the official symbol for the Undead Curse in Dark Souls...

tumblr_static_18r9zstgcwisssoo0go0kg840_640_v2.gif

Listen to your dad, he knows what's up.

NekoFever

We had a total eclipse in 1999. Coupled with Y2K and the impending end of the Mayan calendar, I was lucky to survive.

Koren

That story claims that a study found permanent damage in about half the people who watched the 1999 solar eclipse and went to their doctor because of vision issues, but that's presumably looking for a few minutes instead of a few seconds. It does also mention only 14 cases in Britain.
People that had to visit the doctor have probably stare at it with improper gear... Never said it wasn't dangerous (it IS dangerous, but sun is ALWAYS dangerous), or that there weren't casualtises... Just that I heard prediction about hundred of thousand people totally blind and millions with damaged vision before the eclipse, and that probably turned into a couple hundred careless people having (sometimes severe) issues.

By the way, be VERY careful with reflex cameras... aim it without looking through if you really want a picture.

Mr-Joker

Banned
My dad is being super paranoid and is basically locking me in the house. I don't see any government warnings or closings of stores or business or anything, so I don't think it's going to be a dangerous thing to do. Fwiw, I live in the Toronto area.

22 / 60

He's also really fucking paranoid of red light cameras at intersections.

Okay your Dad clearly has some serous mental problem as his behaviour is not normal.

Your dad sounds like the stepdad on Harry Potter.

Harry didn't have a stepdad, it was his Uncle and Aunt who treated him poorly.

Koren

So, when they say partial does that mean us minnesotans wont be able to see a thing at all. Sad face.
Partial is still impressive, even if not as great as a full one.

But exert the same caution...

(in fact, the couple seconds when it's 100% are by far the LESS dangerous time to look at it)

Providing you perform a ritual blood sacrifice at the point of total eclipse, you'll be OK OP. Wouldn't want the sun to be stuck like that forever more, would you?

soqquatto

More like a couple of hours, start to finish. In Toronto, it's 2 hours 39 minutes.

the total time of the transit is that long (I'm trusting you) but the actual total eclipse won't last much more than two minutes and a half to any observer.

I'm so envious in any case.

shem935

Banned
Little known fact, the moon will focus the sun like a magnifying glass and vaporize all of the non lizard people on the surface. Then the lizard kings rule will be assured.

Vaga

During the solar eclipse of 1999 the national public broadcaster of Serbia, urged people to remain inside, citing dangers to public health. This caused the streets of all Serbian cities, towns and villages to be entirely deserted during the eclipse, with many opting to watch it on TV instead.

Yes, people are that stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAIiSGKaaaY

Grym

It's perfectly safe. He must be thinking of the Blood Moon that Zelda warns about.

don't look at the sun

the total time of the transit is that long (I'm trusting you) but the actual total eclipse won't last much more than two minutes and a half to any observer.

I'm so envious in any case.

For most inhabitants of the United States, the partial eclipse will be the main event. And there the period during which the incautious may expose themselves to retinal damage.

Reckheim

During the solar eclipse of 1999 the national public broadcaster of Serbia, urged people to remain inside, citing dangers to public health. This caused the streets of all Serbian cities, towns and villages to be entirely deserted during the eclipse, with many opting to watch it on TV instead.

Yes, people are that stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAIiSGKaaaY

Its almost like people will believe anything the media tells them.

Vuze

The total solar eclipse in 1999 was one of the more fascinating things I've experienced. Grab protective glasses, go outside and enjoy it!

are you familiar with the nonfiction film, The Purge? Well, it's kinda like that, but only for about two minutes. I'd suggest locking your doors and staying in. make sure to stock up on water and rations prior.

Peccavi

Do you normally look at the sun when you're outside? If no, then just keep doing that and you'll be fine. If yes, then you've probably done enough damage already that what's the harm in one more day?

As long as you don't shoot at or taunt the eclipse, you should be okay. Also, don't make direct eye contact or bare your teeth. The eclipse is a thing of beauty, but like anything else in nature, it's deadly when provoked.

opoth

Banned
After the eclipse, it won't be safe to go outside ever again. Hope you have a good food/water supply on hand.

Well the portal to the nether will only be open for two minutes if you're in the path of the full eclipse, so stay inside then to avoid the end of times. Elsewhere you should be alright.

Maybe damaged tomorrow, not blind. May heal within 6-12 months for some people.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eclipse-without-special-glasses-nothing-good/

That story claims that a study found permanent damage in about half the people who watched the 1999 solar eclipse and went to their doctor because of vision issues, but that's presumably looking for a few minutes instead of a few seconds. It does also mention only 14 cases in Britain.

Lol we don't need studies to tell us that staring at the Sun for a prolonged period causes blindness. We don't need them to tell us a glance won't cause permanent damage because we've all, presumably, glanced at the sun at some point

JettDash

I feel like the danger of looking at the eclipse is exaggerated. I've looked at the sun before with no eye damage.

I feel like the danger of looking at the eclipse is exaggerated. I've looked at the sun before with no eye damage.
Looking at an eclipse is worse because your pupils dilate which lets in more radiation and it's dark so people can just stare at it for minutes.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Unfortunately eclipse light is deadly to humans, and one really has to wonder how we survived as a species before houses.

Top Bottom