• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to go outside during a Solar Eclipse? [Up: OP survived!!!! :D]

MickeyPhree

I shake my head at topics like this. Not only because the question is ridiculous, but it could be answered in less than five seconds by Google.

Age minimum is 13 I believe. Though I imagine most are 18+ considering you need a company or university email to make an account.

I imagine if you are 13, you would probably be using a parent's email. Don't know how else you would have a company, college, or ISP email address.

reKon

Banned
I could google this, but I trust GAF with my life obviously but -

wouldn't looking directly into in sun on a bright sunny say have the same affect as looking at an eclipse before it hits the totality?

in that case looking for 1-2 seconds likely wouldn't permanently damage your eyes (for most people unless they're dilated. I'm assuming the fear is that people will stare for longer than 10 seconds because they are throw out the fact they're still staring directly into the sun, lol...

RangerX

Banned
How old are you that your dad can lock you in the house? Anyway no it's completely safe. Your dad sounds mental. Sorry.

OP, it is going to be incredibly dark and since there are no stars in the sky, you won't be able to see a damn thing. Carry a flashlight and stay woke. Don't be driving either. Traffic lights won't be working and it will be dangerous. I wouldn't take that risk.

Can't tell whether you're kidding. At totality one thing to watch out for are visible planets and even brighter stars. Venus will probably make an appearance, just as it often does in early morning and evening. Of course it will be moonless as always at New Moon. What you see all depends on how clear the sky is at totality and how long your eyes take to adapt. But most people will want to focus their attention on the fascinating otherwise-invisible solar corona.

It's not a good time to be driving if only because of drivers not paying attention to the road, but traffic lights will surely be operating as normal. Unless special arrangements are made, most streetlights will not come on during totality (I think most people would be annoyed if they did because it would spoil the view).

mcrommert

Banned

wouldn't looking directly into in sun on a bright sunny say have the same affect as looking at an eclipse before it hits the totality?

in that case looking for 1-2 seconds likely wouldn't permanently damage your eyes (for most people unless they're dilated. I'm assuming the fear is that people will stare for longer than 10 seconds because they are throw out the fact they're still staring directly into the sun, lol...

The biggest danger comes from how your eyes retina works... It gets confused during an eclipse and doesn't shrink down all the way... Hence the larger danger

greycolumbus

The success of others absolutely infuriates me.

When people say don't look directly at the sun, it makes me think it's some awful eldritch abomination.

Age minimum is 13 I believe. Though I imagine most are 18+ considering you need a company or university email to make an account.

I use an email address from my ISP which I created for the purpose because my usual account is on Gmail. Anybody in my household could do the same, so it doesn't have any bearing on age.

Yes.

This is like MEntal Floss had an article yesterday, "Is it safe to let your pets out during the eclipse?" which was 800 words about the eclipse finally ending with like, "So, yes, of course it's safe."

Dead Guy

Not if you value your life. As soon as it hits peak eclipse the purge will start and everyone not inside won't be safe.

You'll be fine OP

NO!

Absolutely not. On a normal day, the sun is dispersing it's UV rays evenly. While still being harmful, they aren't dangerous because of the pressure they are being released, completely even around the world (where the sun shines)

You ever put your thumb inside a hose? That's exactly what's going to happen during the eclipse. The suns rays are going to be funneled on the outside of of the moon, creating deadly pressurized UV rays that will cause radiation levels that rival Chernobyl.

Welp.

My work just issued a notice saying it's best to stay inside between 1:00pm and 4:00pm today due to the dangers of the eclipse on the eyes.

LiK

Welp.

My work just issued a notice saying it's best to stay inside between 1:00pm and 4:00pm today due to the dangers of the eclipse on the eyes.

Jesus, people seem ignorant of what it is. Do they look at the sun on a regular basis?

notsol337

marked forever
NO!

Absolutely not. On a normal day, the sun is dispersing it's UV rays evenly. While still being harmful, they aren't dangerous because of the pressure they are being released, completely even around the world (where the sun shines)

You ever put your thumb inside a hose? That's exactly what's going to happen during the eclipse. The suns rays are going to be funneled on the outside of of the moon, creating deadly pressurized UV rays that will cause radiation levels that rival Chernobyl.

Brilliant :D

Mr Git

Absolutely not

8d68cab0d38bfbbd7e7c3d6520face38.jpg

Woops already posted on second page and in better res

Saganator

Welp.

Glad I don't work for your company. Our office is planning to go out and check it out.

A helicopter mom I have on Facebook said she's going to keep her kids inside :/ Poor kiddos.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
If you're not carrying the egg of the king and you're not near anyone carrying the egg of the king, you should be good to go, struggler.

MIMIC

Banned
LOL, of course it's safe. Just don't look directly at it unless you're in a city where the moon will completely block the sun.

Fake edit: Since you're in Toronto, you'll only get about 76% of the sun blocked. You'll need special viewing glasses (or something similar) to look at it. Sun glasses won't be enough.

NekoFever

Real talk - is it legit that animals act funky during an eclipse?

Yes, birds think it's sunset and start their evening behaviours, like going home to roost. You might see nocturnal birds and animals coming out too, hear owls, etc.

I also remember during our last one the cat came home early because he thought it was dinner time.

Azuran

Banned
This thread is embarrassing. So many people discriminating the Lizardmen and the mods aren't doing anything about it. I thought GAF was more tolerant than this.

MIMIC

Banned
Yes, birds think it's sunset and start their evening behaviours, like going home to roost. You might see nocturnal birds and animals coming out too, hear owls, etc.

I also remember during our last one the cat came home early because he thought it was dinner time.

Mother Nature: it's just a prank, bro

Top Bottom