• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is it safe to go outside during a Solar Eclipse? [Up: OP survived!!!! :D]

Number_6

Is the sun somehow *more* dangerous to look at during a total eclipse or is it just that enough rays pass through to damage your eyes, but it's not bright enough to hurt you, so you don't actually look away?

It's as dangerous as any other day. Only now it's easier to stare, and you're more likely to try.

soqquatto

My dad is being super paranoid and is basically locking me in the house. I don't see any government warnings or closings of stores or business or anything, so I don't think it's going to be a dangerous thing to do. Fwiw, I live in the Toronto area.

here's what will happen: the moon will transit in front of the sun for a couple of minutes. as a result, there will be less light, there might be a slight and momentary change in temperature, maybe a bit more wind, caused by the temperature change. that's it.

what does your father think it will happen during the eclipse? what do you think is an eclipse?

Why does your dad think its unsafe?
giphy.gif

You'll want to be outside for it, one of the most interesting parts of the last partial eclipse in the UK was the temperature drop whilst the sun is obscured.

Is the sun somehow *more* dangerous to look at during a total eclipse or is it just that enough rays pass through to damage your eyes, but it's not bright enough to hurt you, so you don't actually look away?

The latter. Also there will be far more people than normal tempted to look directly at the sun so as not to miss this rare chance. Making sure everybody is forewarned about the danger of staring at the partial eclipse is sensible.

For the minute or two of totality, those people lucky enough to experience it will obviously have to remove their eye protection to see anything at all. Afterwards they'll have to go back to eye protection or indirect methods of observation.

_Ryo_

My dad is being super paranoid and is basically locking me in the house. I don't see any government warnings or closings of stores or business or anything, so I don't think it's going to be a dangerous thing to do. Fwiw, I live in the Toronto area.

Is your dad extremely superstitious? Maybe he is afraid of a supernatural event occuring.

Yes, some people actually do genuinely believe in shit like that.

Par Score

You are absolutely, perfectly fine to stare directly at where the sun would be DURING TOTALITY. So for those glorious ~two minutes, get your eyeballs out and look straight at that sucker. No glasses, nothing, soak it in.

At all other points it is more dangerous simply because it's easier to look at the slightly obscured sun (much like looking at the sun through clouds) without squinting or being forced to look away by how much it fucking hurts to look at the sun normally.

dumbo

It's an interesting question:
- it seems logical that drivers will be paying less attention to the road, and the lighting conditions may be awkward.
- it equally seems logical that fewer people will be driving (or doing other potentially dangerous stuff) during the eclipse.

Overall, I suspect it might actually be safer during an eclipse.

But, that's obviously ignoring the whole mess with lycanthropes.

If you look at the sun today, your eyes will literally burn out of your skull. I don't know how long you've been alive but this is.different from looking at the sun any other time in your life. You probably shouldn't go outside just to be safe. I don't think I will. I took a day off from work to stay inside and I know a couple other coworkers did the same. Your dad is right.

Apt101

There's a chance that when walking within the light of a total eclipse, your double will slide from the void into this world, somewhere, and begin making its way to you.

You won't be instantly struck blind, you get damage that'll manifest itself over years.

Usually within twelve hours, manifesting as difficulty seeing what you're looking at (you have extreme difficulty reading GAF, basically). If it's going to repair itself you should notice improvements within the first month or so. There is no medical treatment for solar retinopathy, though. There are people living with partial blindness caused by a few minutes looking at the sun more than fifty years ago. And yep, children are much more susceptible to damage because their optical equipment is so much better.

bluehat9

The media around here has made it sound like it could burn holes out the back of your head if you even glance at it without proper eyewear, so I can see why some people are going a little nuts over it.

The media around here has made it sound like it could burn holes out the back of your head if you even glance at it without proper eyewear, so I can see why some people are going a little nuts over it.

I mean maybe you should take a quick glance to prove them wrong.

(Don't do this.)

forms

I am being completely honest, and not out to trick you for harassment of anything similar: what is the potential outcome, according to your father? I am genuinely curious as to what he is afraid of.

Koren

You'll want to be outside for it, one of the most interesting parts of the last partial eclipse in the UK was the temperature drop whilst the sun is obscured.
This one was awful near my town... I spend the whole week visiting the region to find special glasses for my students, they were sold out everywhere.

Turned out it was SO cloudy that even the drop in luminosity was impossible to notice, let alone anything related to the sun (though I'd say the temperature dropped a bit, indeed).

I'm glad I've seen the full one over center Europe in the 90s. I'll probably travel to Spain for the ones in the 2020s (I want to be in Baleares in 2026 :D)

Your eyes are dilated, the light it's stronger and you will fuck up your eyes if you look at it for just a second
I wouldn't try, but I can't see one second being really dangerous.

The problem is that it's more interesting than usual, and since it's not as bright, you're inclined to believe it's safer to look at it that it usually is.

Bottom line, it's not more dangerous than normal sun, but don't stare at it without *specific* equipment (not sunglasses, not smoked glassed, not even wielder's mask)

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I am being completely honest, and not out to trick you for harassment of anything similar: what is the potential outcome, according to your father? I am genuinely curious as to what he is afraid of.
I am interested in this as well, but I'll probably laugh at your dad when you tell, op.

Murica never ceases to amaze.

Blizzard

Banned
I wouldn't try, but I can't see one second being really dangerous.

The problem is that it's more interesting than usual, and since it's not as bright, you're inclined to believe it's safer to look at it that it usually is.

Bottom line, it's not more dangerous than normal sun, but don't stare at it without *specific* equipment (not sunglasses, not smoked glassed, not even wielder's mask)
I would argue that it IS more dangerous than the normal sun because of pupil dilation allowing extra UV in.

Check the link I posted above about patience who literally have crescents burned into the back of their eyes, to the point that the doctor can almost identify when they looked at the partial eclipse.

Koren

I mean maybe you should take a quick glance to prove them wrong.

(Don't do this.)
Don't do this, but they're wrong on the "just a glance" aspect (thankfully). But a glance is a *glance*. The risk is for people that try to actually look/stare at it. The issue is... you can't say "half a second is OK, 5 seconds is too much". It's too dangerous, it depends on the people, so people that know how dangerous it is stay on the truly safe side, and journalists reporting it do it to the letter.

I remember the 1999 one in Europe, it was the end of the world in the days before... There were almost surprised after that there wasnt much damage.

DrKelpo

Banned
dude... it gets darker for like 5 minutes. that's it. what does your father expect to happen?

don't stare into it (seriously, don't) and don't play on the street (as always).

Blizzard

Banned
If this shit is serious as people say, I expect half the country to be blind tomorrow.
Maybe damaged tomorrow, not blind. May heal within 6-12 months for some people.

Don't do this, but they're wrong on the "just a glance" aspect (thankfully). But a glance is a *glance*. The risk is for people that try to actually look/stare at it. The issue is... you can't say "half a second is OK, 5 seconds is too much". It's too dangerous, it depends on the people, so people that know how dangerous it is stay on the truly safe side, and journalists reporting it do it to the letter.

I remember the 1999 one in Europe, it was the end of the world in the days before... There were almost surprised after that there wasnt much damage.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...eclipse-without-special-glasses-nothing-good/

That story claims that a study found permanent damage in about half the people who watched the 1999 solar eclipse and went to their doctor because of vision issues, but that's presumably looking for a few minutes instead of a few seconds. It does also mention only 14 cases in Britain.

Koren

I would argue that it IS more dangerous than the normal sun because of pupil dilation allowing extra UV in.
Well, the pupil is larger, so indeed, more light enter, but at the same time the sun also emits far less UV (alongside visible light) because it's partly blocked.

Not sure what the net result is, but the thing is, since it's not as painful to look at it, you're less eager to look elsewhere quickly (even more less because it's an unusual sight), and that's what dangerous.

The pinhole cameras are really good for prolonged observation. And look at the silhouettes of leaves of trees cast on the ground, they're safe and, in my opinion, rather spectacular.

In the sixties access to specialized equipment was nil and typically British schools would encourage young children to use smoked glass or film negatives. Things have improved.

ChryZ

You guys were not informed by the administration yet? Trump declared the eclipse to be the first Purge event.

Top Bottom