• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is Sony doing a mistake releasing the new Vita in Japan on the same week of Pokèmon?

What is with the crazy unwarranted vita hate machine.

Its not moving a lot of hardware but its for damn sure making money on software.

Both on old titles for Sony and smaller scale development.

Heck even a few AAA titles did well despite less than 2 million have been sold. It clearly doesn't need to beat 3DS to exist and I am glad it does

There is plenty of great software still coming to what is pretty much a niche device and im sure glad to own one.

Bottom Line. Devs are making money on the device and it clearly has a small but cool role to play in the future. Its sad that people arent paying attention to all the cool things in the works in the vita space and thats a damn shame.

Saying 'the Vita is selling poorly', or that 'the new Vita releasing the same time as Pokemon won't matter because it won't sell well anyway' is not hating.

Vita is clearly doing enough to justify the consistent flow of games coming to it

Smaller scale maybe but its getting lots of support from Sega, Namco-Bandai, and anyonr else that isn't Capcom and Square Enix

Maybe outselling 3DS isnt a requirement for its continued success

FlynnCL

Unconfirmed Member
The Vita in the week of FFX release will see a great increase in sales (all models) and will outsell the 3DS for that week or so.

long term effects the Vita will "saved" and be a viable competitor to the 3DS for 2014 and beyond.

I don't see the Vita ever being a viable competitor to the 3DS unless something miraculous happens. An enhanced port where you'll have to buy 2 games just to match the PS3 version is something that won't cut it.

Even during the Vita pricedrop plus one of its most anticipated games (Soul Sacrifice), it sold ~60k and was back to ~10k numbers during the next month. The 3DS has a healthy line-up with guaranteed million sellers, the Vita has none and the most software it has ever sold was around ~300k level.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Vita is clearly doing enough to justify the consistent flow of games coming to it

Smaller scale maybe but its getting lots of support from Sega, Namco-Bandai, and anyonr else that isn't Capcom and Square Enix

Shh shh. No Vita. Only 3DS now.

Success.

I see.

2.5k mc, 352 fam, hahaha that's pathetic, even the gamecube healthily outsold ps2 on some weeks

Not as pathetic as being outsold by Vita amiright?

Would be a fuckin shame for the new Vita to be a reason for the machine to do well anyway considering it's a fuckin downgrade without price drop.

Not as pathetic as being outsold by Vita amiright?

every failing system has the odd week on top (hell the 360 outsold the wii once), the fact that vita's only such week (coming off the back of a price cut with its most massively hyped release and a limited edition system) was little more than neck and neck is terrible

I'm" not really sure, on one hand I understand the strategy they're not the first to use the piggyback strategy however conceptually that is in itself can be a gamble. Not an exact comparison but SEGA tried to do the same thing with Resonance of Fate against Final Fantasy XIII. Regardless the Vita won't cut into 3DS or Pokemon sales that would be crazy talk.

With the upcoming VitaTV I don't think that Sony has much confidence in the device as a standalone portable, especially considering the organization's Western influence now. Good thing is that the Vita will still coast on what support it will get and remain competitive.

I'm" not really sure, on one hand I understand the strategy they're not the first to use the piggyback strategy however conceptually that is in itself can be a gamble. Not an exact comparison but SEGA tried to do the same thing with Resonance of Fate against Final Fantasy XIII. Regardless the Vita won't cut into 3DS or Pokemon sales that would be crazy talk.

With the upcoming VitaTV I don't think that Sony has much confidence in the device as a standalone portable, especially considering the organization's Western influence now. Good thing is that the Vita will still coast on what support it will get and remain competitive.

sarcasm?

hongcha

In regard to the OP's question: it won't make any significant difference. The Japanese audience interested in the Vita is, on the whole, not interested in Pokemon, and vice versa. Vita has a very steady, healthy release schedule in Japan from the end of this month through the end of the year, probably climaxing with FFX/X-2 (unless those get pushed to 2014). Sony wants to start the momentum with the 2000 model in Oct, then carry that through with the Vita TV in November. I don't see that as a bad strategy. Pokemon is going to sell bazillions whenever it releases, but I don't see that as being particularly relevant to the sales of the Vita.

Riki

Can you blame them? Sony seems allergic to supporting the system.
And this is the problem most people ignore. Stop asking third parties to support the system when Sony can't be arsed to give two shits about it.
The biggest support they are giving it is paying for a late downport of Borderlands 2.

every failing system has the odd week on top (hell the 360 outsold the wii once), the fact that vita's only such week (coming off the back of a price cut with its most massively hyped release and a limited edition system) was little more than neck and neck is terrible

I wouldn't say that was terrible. Those were very decent sales at the time. The problem with the Vita is that it hasn't had any breakthrough software to really drive momentum. It has had plenty of 'niche' successes but those can only do so much for baseline hardware sales (just as Nintendo's IP can only do so much for WiiU's baseline) and that's probably why we're seeing it fall back to pre-pricecut levels of sales now. Now that's terrible. Should be interesting to see what the next batch of software leading into the holidays + the new model do for it this time.

Toxi

Banned
Switching to a lower price point as soon as possible sounds like a good idea to me, even if they do have to temporarily deal with the Pokemon rush.

Otherwise...
original.jpg

hongcha

Stop asking third parties to support the system when Sony can't be arsed to give two shits about it.

You (and everyone else making this fallacious claim) are forgetting Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Soul Sacrifice 2 and Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuku 2, among others. Sony is supporting the system. Not to the degree many would like, but they're not sitting on their asses doing nothing. They're developing multiple exclusives for it in Japan, and that shouldn't be ignored in the conversation.

jwhit28

Switching to a lower price point as soon as possible sounds like a good idea to me, even if they do have to temporarily deal with the Pokemon rush.

Otherwise...
original.jpg

Vita is already a lot more machine for the same price as a 3DS XL (the best selling 3DS).

Soriku

The Vita in the week of FFX release will see a great increase in sales (all models) and will outsell the 3DS for that week or so.

long term effects the Vita will "saved" and be a viable competitor to the 3DS for 2014 and beyond.

Uhhh. FF X isn't even a new game is also on the PS3. Any particular reason that it would "save" the Vita to the extent that you're describing?

There's always a few people who aren't buying what everyone else is buying, and will buy something else, or can buy multiple things.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
They could just throw a dart on a calendar and it wouldn't make a difference. The Vita will never be in a position that gives it a strategic advantage.

ZenTzen

Uhhh. FF X isn't even a new game is also on the PS3. Any particular reason that it would "save" the Vita to the extent that you're describing?

well i would assume because its considered one of the top 10 games ever by the japanese, lower price on the vita as well, even p4a brought vita sales up and that game isnt on the level of recognition as a FF game, yes it'll sell truckloads more on the ps3, but i reckon the vita sales wont be anything to laugh about

antonz

Vita TV was Sony surrendering their future in the handheld market. Vita is likely the last handheld Sony will make so now its all about milking it for all the money they can get which is frankly the strategy they used on the PSP.

Sell whatever they can now and make money. Outside of Japan PSP did little to move software but what it did do was make Sony a lot of money during those bleak PS3 days. Every single Pirate who bought a PSP lined Sony's pocket even if they never bought software and killed software support.

Cut the expensive stuff out of the Vita and make it instead of break even a now profitable device and let it just drag on for a few more years.

Riki

You (and everyone else making this fallacious claim) are forgetting Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Soul Sacrifice 2 and Ore no Shikabane wo Koete Yuku 2, among others. Sony is supporting the system. Not to the degree many would like, but they're not sitting on their asses doing nothing. They're developing multiple exclusives for it in Japan, and that shouldn't be ignored in the conversation.
But that is exactly the problem. You just listed a bunch of games that might hit 300k lifetime in Japan. They don't put their big studios on the system. They don't pay for the big Vita exclusives at all. And 90% of what they announce is cross platform. They support it with the basics. And it's disheartening beyond belief.

well i would assume because its considered one of the top 10 games ever by the japanese, lower price on the vita as well, even p4a brought vita sales up and that game isnt on the level of recognition as a FF game, yes it'll sell truckloads more on the ps3, but i reckon the vita sales wont be anything to laugh about

He said it would 'save' the system.
He said it would outsell the 3DS that week.
He said it would become a competitor to the 3DS from then onward.

interesting way of looking at it

Everything about the Vita is a mistake. Sony signed its death certificate when they let Monster Hunter slip through their fingers. But didn't fret vitabros, at least you have indies
pffffffHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA

$h@d0w

I like how this thread just became a place for people to post random venom to make themselves feel better about their day.

To answer the question, I think it's a toss up really.

You get extra foot traffic from people going to stores but your product didn't warrant it's own launch event and will get overshadowed.

It doesn't have to outsell the 3ds to be an enjoyable system. I'll get plenty of use out of mine. People have differing definitions of Vita "success".

Pretty bad idea. It could have at least been the 'thing' of the week. With the release date Sony chose it's barely going to register in the chaos of people looking to buy Pokemon.

They should have stealth launched it right after the announcement.

cafemomo

With the release date Sony chose it's barely going to register in the chaos of people looking to buy Pokemon.
The majority of peeps who will be getting Pokemon aren't probably looking to get the Vita and vice versa. Two different markets. Vita and Pokemon will coexist at launch

In the holidays. Uh huh.

Because of a multiplat remaster available for better value elsewhere. Uh huh.

I'm not going to take your bet. There's absolutely no sport in that.
Then the 2DS was Nintendo's surrendering of their 3D tech.
Yes. Problem?

Gamerloid

Because of a multiplat remaster available for better value elsewhere. Uh huh.
That's what I'm saying! It's already a port, but it's a multiplatform game with the PS3 having the better value including both games. No way in heck FFX of all games will have that long term effect for the Vita.

Top Bottom