• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is the Batmobile the worst AAA gameplay mechanic in recent memory?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Pro mobile here. Too much contrived tank fights and maybe a few races, but outside of that it was a great addition that gave this game a real identity beyond fear takedowns and nice looking water.

Rokal

I loved the Batmobile. I actually liked it way more than the Predator/stealth stuff, which we've already gotten 3 games of.

Definitely a couple sections where the Batmobile combat took a lot of restarts though. I enjoyed it, but I wonder how much that affected people's opinions of it.

Magwik

Banned
That's a bit hyperbolic. The worst AAA mechanic is recent history? There are a lot of Batmobile segments but the mechanics are flawless.
The Batmobile and the sanctuary in Fable 3 are NOWHERE near the same levels or terrible. Nothing will ever come close to being as bad as the sanctuary. Fuck Fable 3.

OmahaG8

This.
Fucking Farmville shit, and point/click mobile crap roll into one.
The problem is that it isn't an optional part of the game unless you want to be an undergeared scrubs.

This is good advice, 'cause momma always told me to watch out for undergeared scrubs.

Ejecting from the Batmobile makes it all worth it.

Krakn3Dfx

Batmobile is why I stop playing. I'll be cruising along, gliding, kicking ass, and then a mandatory mobile driving/fighting/puzzle section pops up and I quit to go do something else.

I knew it would be atrocious, and even I was surprised at how much it sucks the wind out of the game for me.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wouldn't say it's the worst. The worst are joyrides you can't skip or horrible paths to get around a city. The Batmobile could have had maybe more to it, but no way is it bad. There was no real variety with drones, but it was to the point. It was well rounded. It felt like you had some good shootouts and others were just somewhat of the same thing.

I had fun with it. I guess some people can't drive it well or they hate repetition. I wish there would have been more slow moments like pulling up to a select location that wasn't down an alleyway. Maybe people got mad at the level design. To be honest I took to the sky whenever I could. When that got old I took the Batmobile. Some of this sounds like you guys really took the Batmobile far too often. No way it is the worst mechanic? Have you played a lot of games this gen? If anything it's an improvement. I was so sick of not getting to my destination because I had to walk or run there. This gave me an option. What's gonna suck is if we don't see a bat copter or a bat boat. I'm sure some of you can find worst means of transportation in a Triple A game.

Better question, what gives you more motivation? Having a choice or just running there? I wouldn't mind it if Triple A games had more quality and weren't replaced with a better solution every couple years.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
I loved the Batmobile. I actually liked it way more than the Predator/stealth stuff, which we've already gotten 3 games of.

Definitely a couple sections where the Batmobile combat took a lot of restarts though. I enjoyed it, but I wonder how much that affected people's opinions of it.

This was another issue, it didn't happen often in combat, but during the races, constantly exploding. If I wasn't such an achievement whore I probably wouldn't hate it as much, but the whole riddler racing crap in which if you fail a lap, you have to drive all the way back to the start (exploding along the way back to the beginning of the lap), just killed it for me.

From the very first riddler race not even an hour into the game, I knew it was going to be a problem

Durden77

Hell no. It's implemented fantastically as a tool, and is used super well in many situations. The only problem is that some of the context in which it's used is not that exciting and too much.

But as a "steed", it's fantastic.

Batmobile hate is stupid. I'm enjoying it a lot. It feels cool to have it be another part of your tool belt, and help you reach other areas. It's awesome.

I cannot think of anything worse, off the top of my head.

The Batmobile is more than an annoyance, it quite literally ruins the Arkham Knight experience.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah uh everything about movement in The Witcher 3. And the horse is like all those terrible things put into one being.

I LOVE the batmobile and how smooth it is to transition to battle mode. I agree that there were a little more annoying forced sections, but I personally don't mind it one bit. Keep in mind i've only played the game for around 15 hours and still halfway through the story.

Playing on PC the poor performance and stuttering made some of the later levels a nightmare.

But I can imagine with a consistent frame rate it would be much more enjoyable.

Overall I thought they did an excellent job with the Bat tank

styl3s

I like hauling ass around Gotham tearing shit up but Tank mode? Got old after 3-4 hours in. I don't even want to do a 2nd playthrough because of how much fucking tank mode is forced. Mechanically it's not bad it's just when i play a batman game i want it to be like 95% wrecking dudes with my fist not 95% wrecking tanks with my batmobile (obvious exaggeration of course)

Alchemy

Batmobile driving is fun. The combat is complete shit. I just wish there wasn't any of the awful tank combat and it would have been great.

No I have no problem with it. I actually liked the tank battles but what I hated about it was it's over use in the campaign. It was shoehorned into almost every damn mission. Cruising around and the optional use was fine. But having to platform to certain rooftops, hunt down certain vantage points to hit certain things, use it to actually progress through buildings (I'm looking at you Ace Chemicals), etc were just not fun. It should have been something you could optionally use if you wanted to. Also wasn't a fan of the boss fights that required it.

I feel a bit opposite to this regarding the use of the Batmobile in tight areas as part of the story. I mean the rooftop traversal was a bit shit sometimes and I felt bad on account of the property destruction going on, but the areas where you have to actually think about how to get to where you needed to go (but where you did know exactly where you were headed) were really quite fun. I actually liked it's use in Ace Chemicals. That and some of the Riddler sections have sort of made me feel like the strengths of these games are when they ignore the open world, and trap you in an area and have you play a tightly designed metroidvania style game of limited geographical scope.

That's the one main thing I do prefer AA to the rest of the series, how tight it is because of its constrained environment.

BashNasty

The batmobile is a fantastic addition to the Arkham games. Confuses the hell out of me that so many people seem to hate it. It's wonderfully implemented.

Sprint and armor abilities in Halo 4
The fucking sanctuary in Fable 3
The general gunplay of Bioshock infinite
the car in the new Mario party games
Yukes WWE games

Haven't played those

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am sure there's worse than the Batmobile though. It just sucks because everytime I was getting into enjoying the game it stuck me back in it, I absolutely loathed every segment I had to use it for.

Game went from a 9 or 10 to a 7 for me

Kahoona

I wasn't a fan of the whole drones + tank thing, but I really liked the Riddler puzzles and just driving around in general was usually satisfying.

kamineko

Does his best thinking in the flying car
I thought it was mostly great, and that the vehicle was well-implemented. Too much of a good thing, though. The tanks in particlar.

Completing all the militia side content
only to fight Deathstroke in another goddamned tank was obnoxiously anticlimactic.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
The worst part is, is that it doesn't have a ton of replay value if you got enough your first time around. I'm amazed and impressed by their job at Rocksteady, but I have my glass full after one play through. It's worth the money and I have the pass, but I need to let it just sink in. I don't think it was all terrible, but I have my Batman cup full.

I recommend not hurting your sense of enjoyment by reading why it sucks, but that's just me. I saw the complaints, but I also saw why I enjoyed my play through so much. I hope people finish their copy.

I just hope they can somehow add something unique instead of a race or something. I want more Easter eggs and stuff from the comics.

Purest 78

Saw the Batmobile gameplay in the trailer I knew I wouldn't like it. I decided not to buy the game, glad I didn't after reading the OP.

FirmBizBws

Becomes baffled, curling up into a ball when confronted with three controller options.
Sprint and armor abilities in Halo 4
The fucking sanctuary in Fable 3
The general gunplay of Bioshock infinite
the car in the new Mario party games
Yukes WWE games

I disagree, the Yukes games were miles better than the batmobile even though they did suck. The sucked but were playable just enough to get by.

PaulloDEC

I like the Batmobile just fine. Sure, there's maybe a few too many tank battles going on, but otherwise it's a blast tearing through the streets in it.

What's even the point of having a batmobile when you have a damn vtol bat plane? The batmobile is one of the dumbest things about the character in general, not just in the game.

That being said the fort defense portions of assassin's creed revelations are a far worse aaa mechanic.

Magwik

Banned
I disagree, the Yukes games were miles better than the batmobile even though they did suck. The sucked but were playable just enough to get by.

hkMYwf4.gif

Slash76

I love the batmobile gameplay section, at the beggining you have to get used to brake/Tank mode button location, but once you handle it, it´s really really nice.

I like it, but I find it easier to glide across the whole map too

I loooved the riddler races, they were fun and not too challenging

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Seems to work great if you ask me. I like it better than the on foot traversal in this game anyway. Also, using twitter to prove the point - I'm sure if you type "<insert anything here> is disgusting" on twitter, bunch of comments will come up with people in agreement.

Top Bottom